Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Hoggers

Post by Maximus »

That's a nice ab.extensa in your last shot, Hoggers :)

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Maximus, I'm lucky enough to see varying degrees of extensa Coppers quite often at Dungeness, they are very eye catching.

Hi David, being of a hopeful disposition and what with the outstanding weather we've been having of late, I'd have put money on there being a fourth brood this year. Unfortunately I didn't see any sign of one today.

Although it was windy at Dungeness this morning it was very warm indeed (my car dashboard read 21C) and with long clear spells too we had very strong sunshine. I saw two fresh male Common Blues and a Meadow Brown, but of Coppers I found only third brood individuals
IMG_9623.JPG
This one has taken a bashing!

I watched this worn male perform the "stalk dance"
IMG_9633.JPG
Given how tired he looked (he must be getting towards the end of his life) and how sources of nectar are greatly diminished, it's remarkable how nevertheless doing the "stalk dance" is still an important duty for him to carry out.

So tired are some of the Coppers that, I regret to say, young Pip was seen to chase one then leap up and catch it..!
Clearly he still has a long way to go in his training..

We walked to the lake so he could cool off
IMG_9630.JPG
Later, his transgression was forgiven when he found this handsome male for me, holding a territory near the Observatory
IMG_9643.JPG
The second pale fore-winged Copper I've seen recently (the first, a female, Pip didn't eat but he managed to knock flying..! )

So it was nice to spend some time with this one without it being terrorised by a hyperactive Springer pup. Of all the Coppers I saw today this one was in the best condition
IMG_9660.JPG
We saw 14 Coppers today. Fingers crossed the weather stays fair for a time yet and gives us a chance of seeing a healthy fourth brood before the season is over.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

We saw 14 Coppers today. Fingers crossed the weather stays fair for a time yet and gives us a chance of seeing a healthy fourth brood before the season is over.
There doesn’t look to be anything threatening on the horizon, Hoggers, so hopefully there WILL indeed be an additional brood of Coppers before the cold weather sets in!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi David, they've made a better job forecasting the weather than I have of predicting a fourth brood of Coppers!

We/ve had generally fine sunny days of late with today being the absolute best of them : It was gorgeous at Dungeness this morning, bright sunshine, about 16C and not a puff of wind.

Unfortunately I could find only 3 Small Coppers
IMG_9681.JPG
all were third brood
IMG_9693.JPG
and included the chap I found last Saturday, still in exactly the same place in the moat by the Obs Valerian
IMG_9674.JPG

His pale fore-wing makes him instantly recognisable. As anyone who visits the moat will know, this part is favoured by Coppers as it's a sun trap with plenty of flowers. So he has picked a good spot for his territory.

No sign then of a fourth brood and I can't help thinking the Coppers are nearly over for this year.

Still, Dungeness is a marvellous place to visit and I know someone who'll want to keep going back, Coppers or no Coppers!
IMG_9702.JPG
All the best,

Hoggers

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Hoggers ,
Had lunch at the Brittannia early afternoon ,couldn,t resist a quick look along the power station fence ,and just up from the first bungalow on the right (the one with the sheep !) I saw one fresh 4th brood Copper ,but very little else ,although a Speckled Wood along the front (sea ) wall was unusual and a single Clouded Yellow ,I was at Dungeness ,late afternoon yesterday as well ,some worn Common Blues ,3 Red Admirals ,another Speckled Wood and a Peacock ……… but no Coppers !
PS; Forgot ,a single Painted Lady Regards Allan.W.

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:Hi David, they've made a better job forecasting the weather than I have of predicting a fourth brood of Coppers!
Well, Hoggers, they've a week to live up to your expectations because by next Saturday we'll have northerly winds and 9c temperatures....and I'm sure new broods of Small Copper won't want to be emerging in that!!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Allan and David, I looked at the Dungeness Observatory website this morning and most tantalisingly the report for yesterday was "very fresh Small Coppers were seen " !

So maybe my prediction wasn't as bad as I thought!

But as you say David, the Coppers better get on with business because it's turning chillier!

Hoggers

David M

Post by David M »

I hope reports of fresh specimens are true, Hoggers, as I fear things are closing in and there will be an abrupt end to this feast within the next few days! :(

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello again !

My 2019 Small Copper season began today with three at Dungeness.

I hadn't expected to see any because it was rather cold and dull when I set out this morning, so I didn't take my camera, but by the time I'd got there it was sunny enough to get the Coppers going despite a chilly breeze.

I managed to take a quick snap of one using my mobile phone
FirstCopper.jpg
I bumped into one of the reserve wardens a fortnight ago and he said the odd one or two Coppers had been seen mid-March.

Great to see them again and a good start to the season!
Pip.jpg
Best wishes

Hoggers
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Well done Hoggers (and welcome back !) we were at Dungeness as well ,late morning ,but must admit ,didn,t even attempt to look for any Coppers ……...too blooming cold !!
there for the plants this time . I spoke to Dave Walker ,and he never mentioned any Coppers yet . see you there sometime . !
Regards Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Welcome back Hoggers :D A great start to the season that :D I don't think I've seen one that is so orange looking :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Glad to see the Copper season has begun at Dungeness, as is fitting of course... :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see you back, Hoggers, along with the first of what I'm sure will be many Small Coppers at Dungeness.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The first brood of Small Coppers is well and truly out at Dungeness
IMG_9786.JPG
IMG_9715.JPG
I had the distinct feeling they were emerging around me
IMG_9769.JPG
Certainly, they were getting straight down to business
IMG_9754.JPG
(And I was lucky enough to later find a second mating pair out on the shingle.)

It is so good to see them again
IMG_9783.JPG
IMG_9758.JPG
And good to see AllanW down there too after the long Winter hibernation
IMG_9797.JPG
I counted 42 Coppers
IMG_9775.JPG
My Odd Copper of the Day was this chap
IMG_9727.JPG
I've never seen one like him before
IMG_9736.JPG
Gorgeous weather, butterflying in T-shirt and Sun Hat and fresh Small Coppers everywhere -
IMG_9722.JPG
It doesn't get any better!

Best wishes

Hoggers
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello again Hoggers ,
Good to catch up again at Dungeness, I have done a short report ,but somehow managed to put it on David M's Diary ! trying to get it moved.
As I said we managed 43 Small Coppers ,some absolute beauties including one blue spot . Must say I,ve not seen a Copper marked quite like that one either ..……...nice find !
Later on the RSPB Reserve ,we found 8 which included a stunning female "Radiata" ,was hoping it was going to be a male (with a chance
that it may have a territory ) but no such luck ! and we lost it ,and no pics !! Regards Allan.W.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

AllanW wrote
I have done a short report but somehow managed to put it on DavidM's diary!
Allan, you didn't stop off at "The Pilot" to celebrate your radiata by any chance, did you?

Hoggers
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hoggers

I have only see one Small Copper so far this year and considered myself lucky when I did! And there you are with 43, a mating pair and a Radiata. Wow!

But of course thats a typical Coppering day for you I suppose.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Like Ernie I've only had one Small Copper so 42 :shock: :shock: Your odd one for the day is really odd :shock: diagonally asymmetric isn't something that I've seen before - I've seen butterflies with a smaller or larger fore wing but generally only one wing is affected but that is really unusual :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

43 Small Coppers! What a joy. I can't imagine seeing that many. I dread to think how high numbers will get by midweek with this balmy weather.

Could you hit three figures before April is out, Hoggers?
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

There was a real mix of weather at Dungeness today : One minute it was dull and chilly, then the next it was very warm and sunny.

I had left Pip, my irrepressible Springer Spaniel, at home with his mum and so I could concentrate on Small Coppers rather than trying to keep track of him!

And Coppers there were a-plenty
IMG_9955.JPG
IMG_9885.JPG
IMG_9872.JPG
I counted 211 in all
IMG_9836.JPG
IMG_9826.JPG
IMG_9839.JPG
IMG_9884.JPG
I also saw my first Brown Argus
IMG_9853.JPG
And came across a handsome beetle that I think maybe another Hister quadrimaculata
IMG_9891.jpg
IMG_9899.JPG
It's great to see such a healthy and thriving first brood of Coppers
IMG_9948.JPG
IMG_9888.JPG
IMG_9902.JPG
IMG_9917.JPG
IMG_9929.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”