Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Hoggers

Post by David M »

Nice selection again, Hoggers.

Given the numbers of Coppers that are appearing in areas where they are normally scarce (such as my neck of the woods!) I anticipate a surge over the next couple of weeks round your way. :)

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

It was very warm and bright when I got home from work today. I went straight back out, this time with Pip in tow, and headed to my newly discovered local Small Copper site. Sure enough I found Small Coppers in exactly the same place as before
IMG_9352.JPG
Today I counted 5
IMG_9336.JPG
IMG_9340.JPG
One at least I'd seen there a week ago
IMG_9343.JPG
This isolated little colony interests me greatly and I hope to keep an eye on it in the future
IMG_9361.JPG

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's. I went to Southport yesterday and saw more Coppers and yet another Blue Badge :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Things are looking up, Hoggers. Good luck keeping tabs on your new site.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie and David, I get the impression that more people are spotting Small Coppers this September than at any time for many years and I can only think the long hot summer has done it.

Today started off dull and rather cool with thick grey cloud cover. I had little hope of doing any Coppering at Dungeness but decided to give it a try nevertheless, if only to let young Pip stretch his legs.

But good luck was on our side because it wasn't long after arriving that the sky cleared and it became bright and warm

Pip was soon at work
P1070227.JPG
sniffing out the Coppers
P1070219.JPG
P1070244.JPG
This third brood although modest in size is producing a high number of Blue Badgers
P1070234.JPG
P1070205.JPG
P1070215.JPG
Near absent in the second brood they've made a strong come back in the third
P1070260.JPG
P1070264.JPG
P1070250.JPG
I wonder why?

It was becoming so warm that Pip went in search of, and found, some shade
P1070256.JPG
And quickly made himself at home
P1070257.JPG
But the Copper Hunt soon resumed and we saw this beautifully marked female
P1070231.JPG
The oddest Copper was this one : I couldn't get near it so forgive the poor quality photo, but the marks are unusual
P1070223.JPG
In all we saw 29 Small Coppers
P1070221.JPG
And needless to say, had a great time!

David M

Post by David M »

Loving the shots of Pip (as well as the Coppers), Hoggers. We've now got two butterfly-hunting dogs (Guy Padfield's Minnie being the other) to follow on the forum. :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks David, he's certainly very keen although I'm not sure yet whether it's Coppers he's after or bird watchers : he introduced himself to quite a few of the latter who I got the impression would rather have met him another time and not when they were looking for an elusive Wryneck!

He's a friendly little chap
IMG_9424.JPG
We had a glorious time there this morning, plenty of Coppers about
IMG_9382.JPG
IMG_9410.JPG
IMG_9389.JPG
It got quite hot and while Pip took a break
IMG_9436.JPG
I had the chance to watch some jousting Coppers
IMG_9400.JPG
They're so fast they make me giddy
IMG_9443.JPG
Observing Copper behaviour is my favourite past time
IMG_9470.JPG
(next to walking Pip of course!)

Pip's Copper Count today was 49
IMG_9431.JPG
Still many in tip top nick, lots of Blue Badgers and I was pleased to see just how well the Sorrel has recovered from the drought, so all in all things look good for the Coppers of Dungeness
IMG_9417.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Things are looking up, Hoggers! :D

I love those in-flight shots. The butterflies are extremely fast so you must end up with quite a few air shots?

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's , love the shots of your dog :D the Butterflies look good too :D I was amazed when you said " it was too Hot" , we've had to put the heating on a few times here so it's good to see some Butterflies again :mrgreen: :D I thought they'd all gone!!
Goldie :D

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Great Copper Shots, Hoggers (and great Pip shots too!)

I was fascinated by your head-on shot of a jousting Copper.

It is good news the Copper numbers have picked-up more or less everywhere.

Ernie F
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Last Saturday was cold and dull so Pip and I saw only one Small Copper when we visited Dungeness. Today was much better

Warm and sunny and Coppers on display
IMG_9489.JPG
IMG_9487.JPG
Pip's Copper Hunting skills are still at the basic stage : I see things go flying up out of the grass as he capers about and I'm sometimes quick enough to snap a picture of a startled Copper
IMG_9544.JPG
But most of the time he seems to be seeing how much ground he can cover in the shortest time rather than sniffing out butterflies
IMG_9531.JPG
IMG_9534.JPG
IMG_9540.JPG
But it's early days in his training
IMG_9510.JPG
and after cooling off
IMG_9527.JPG
we were seeing Coppers again
IMG_9549.JPG
IMG_9553.JPG
We counted 15 Coppers
IMG_9515.JPG
IMG_9518.JPG
IMG_9520.JPG
Great fun!

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hoggers - One of those Coppers you pictured recently certainly looks as though its drinking from a berry. Is that the way you see it?

Love the Pip sequence as he runs toward you. I was fully expecting the last shot to be one of the sky as you fell over when he collided with you. :lol:

Ernie F
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Ernie, at the moment I'd say young Pip is less of an asset to Copper Hunting and more of a hindrance but I've so quickly got used to him being with me that I can't imagine going to Copperness without him!

Hopefully he'll calm down somewhat as time goes by ( i.e., in the next 12 years!! )

As for that Copper, I've certainly seen them supping juice from ripe Blackberries but not from the red unripe berries- but I've seen them drink dew from plant surfaces so maybe that's what it was doing.

All the best

Hoggers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Love the Pip sequence as he runs toward you. I was fully expecting the last shot to be one of the sky as you fell over when he collided with you. :lol:" Me too Hoggers :D I hope his further training goes well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

I'm enjoying the vicarious pleasure of you and your dog having a great time amongst several dozen Small Coppers in a truly wild location, Hoggers.

Do you reckon the season will stretch into November this year?

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Yesterday was absolutely glorious down here in Kent and every minute of it I was stuck at work wishing I was at Dungeness. Today when I did get down there it was dull and damp, so not promising for butterflies.

I've trained Pip to point out Ornithologists
P1070341.JPG
We occupied ourselves with that for awhile but when a small flock of them passed by and Pip showed no interest in them
P1070343.JPG
I guessed he had other sport on his mind and he was soon on the scent of a Small Copper
P1070330.JPG
Although innocent looking
P1070334.JPG
Don't be fooled : he may be just one puppy but he conducts himself like ten!

We had a bit of luck when the cloud thinned and for a few minutes it warmed up
P1070324.JPG
Our first Copper of the day!
P1070299.JPG
Then another
P1070328.JPG
Despite the poor conditions we eventually counted 7 Small Coppers
P1070303.JPG
Pip had a great time : he met the Warden and his wife, saw some Coppers and then as we were leaving Pip watched his first steam train up close as it came into Dungeness station.

Pip clearly loves it down at Dungeness and as a Copper Sniffer he's coming along just fine
P1070338.JPG
The weather forecast for next week is very good indeed, so I think the Coppers of Dungeness have an excellent chance of getting into November.

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Hoggers ,
I was at Dungeness yesterday ,in near perfect conditions ,took a slightly different ( and longer ) route than usual ,taking in some usually very productive "Copper" areas ,but I didn,t come across a Copper ,until I finally hit the moat ,where I managed 12 ,and along the power station fence
I found another 2 (plus a singleton at Dengemarsh ,a bit later on ) I reckon the third brood is now on the way down , it will be interesting to see if any manage to emerge for a fourth . Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello Allan, the weather was just amazing yesterday, so warm, sunny and calm - being stuck inside all day was torture!

But not so good today, alas. Fortunately we did get some sunshine and it brought out the butterflies.

At the moment my visits to Dungeness are more dog walk than Copper Hunt so I did well to see 7 today! Since Pip joined the team I've rather had to be satisfied with brief glimpses of butterflies as they fly away from him! Hopefully that will improve...!

Yes, I'm hoping to see a fourth brood,a last Hurrah for 2018. That'd be great. Fingers crossed.

Best wishes

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Warm sunshine and just a gentle breeze this afternoon,much better than yesterday, so I headed down to Dungeness for a Copper Hunt.

Not many left of the third brood
IMG_9561.JPG
IMG_9592.JPG
IMG_9557.JPG
But still a few attractive ones
IMG_9583.JPG
IMG_9573.JPG
My total for today was 12
IMG_9598.JPG
While wandering along I saw a dazzling female Copper with a white forewing. I squatted down and managed to take this photo
IMG_9595.JPG
Whereupon my four legged friend came charging in and knocked her flying!

I also saw what looked like a fresh female Copper but my efforts to photograph her were again impeded by the newest recruit to Team Copper

Somewhat abashed
IMG_9589.JPG
but keen.

He made up for it by helping me find this beautifully marked female
IMG_9608.JPG
A lovely Autumnal Copper.

What with the fine weather forecast I think we'll be seeing ( and if Pip doesn't scare them off) photographing fourth brood Coppers very soon.

David M

Post by David M »

LOL! That dog is a handful, Hoggers, for sure! :)

I’m sure Pip will learn patience and stealth in due course, but meantime, I shall look forward to seeing your promised NEXT brood of phlaeas very soon….maybe this week, given the temperatures that are forecast.

Return to “Personal Diaries”