Comma - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Comma - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Comma - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

I was lucky to see Commas at most sites throughout this year but my favourite shot was taken in my garden in early September. I had spent a very frustrating 10 minutes peering over the fence in my garden watching all the butterflies congregating and feeding on the Buddleia there; Small Torts, Red Admirals and various whites. Then a Comma started feeding on a small side branch which lay along the top of the fence which meant that it was within reach of my lens. I’d forgotten about the dark spring forms and gotten used to seeing the lighter Hutchinsoni summer form so seeing this individual I was struck by the darkness of its’ colouration. It appeared almost purple with small blue circles which contrasted nicely with the pinky purple of the Buddleia flowers.
042 - Copy-001.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

My favourite Comma shot of the year was taken on the Knepp Castle Estate on 7th September, a day which saw a large emergence in Sussex.
Neil
UKB Best Comma (1) by Neil Hulme_edited-1.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I like this photo of a Comma because it's differant from what i usually take. It was taken between houses in a Ginnel when the Butterfly was feeding on Ivy. Goldie :)
Attachments
Comma Ginnel WH 21st Oct 2012 9796.JPG
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i liked this one because it looked so furry.
comma.JPG
philm63

Post by philm63 »

Regrettably the first of these I can post on, hope to rectify that next year

All photos taken with a Fuji S5600 in Macro Mode on Auto

All the photos were taken in August at a private plantation area close to where I work to which I have access, in the late morning
This is not a very common butterfly locally so appreciated all the more when one is seen, however this year has been better than most

The first photo shows the colours and shape of this beautiful species well and I like the pose, the fact the weather was unusually fine shows the colours well
DSCF3206w.jpg
The second photo shows the reason for its name and though not the best underwing photo of the butterfly I have taken, I particularly like the pose and the addition of the brightly coloured fly nearby, reminding me that in most cases I saw more of the other insects than the butterflies this year
DSCF3211w.jpg
The third photo I just love, showing virtually all the wing in a flat plane so the colours just glow in the sun, almost as if it was melting chocolate dripping from the wings
DSCF3240w.jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

For once, I was spoilt for choice with this species. My choice eventually fell on the last one I photographed, at Waterperry Gardens, on the wonderful display of Michaelmas Daisies. I like it for the vibrant colours and memories of a beautiful end-of-season day.
Waterperry Gardens, Oxon - 2nd October 2012<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm +1.4X TC - 1/180s @ f/6.7 (-0.3 comp.) ISO400
Waterperry Gardens, Oxon - 2nd October 2012
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm +1.4X TC - 1/180s @ f/6.7 (-0.3 comp.) ISO400
I now realise that I have posted that shot before so perhaps I can be allowed a second...
Otmoor, Oxon - 21st July 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300mmf4 +1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/6.7 ISO400
Otmoor, Oxon - 21st July 2012
Nikon D300s with 300mmf4 +1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/6.7 ISO400
This one really seems to be enjoying the Knapweed!

Mike
millerd

Post by millerd »

A very difficult choice as always, as I seem to take a lot of photos of Commas. The hutchinsoni form was rather scarce this summer, which probably isn't surprising, so I've plumped for a few of those.

Dave
Attachments
Stanwell Moor 4th July
Stanwell Moor 4th July
Stanwell Moor 15th July
Stanwell Moor 15th July
Kew Gardens 14th July
Kew Gardens 14th July
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

This was one of the very first butterflies i saw this year. It was photographed along the canal towpath close to Fenny Compton in Warwickshire on a lovely sunny day in March. I watched for an hour or so as this feisty butterfly challenged everything that entered it's territory including bumble bees, wonderful memories.
comma.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nigel Kiteley wrote:I watched for an hour or so as this feisty butterfly challenged everything that entered it's territory including bumble bees, wonderful memories.
Behaviourally, Commas are surely more entertaining than any other British species.

They are SO predictable - they have a 'patch' from which they will invest huge amounts of energy repelling all intruders (including human beings!)

Dukes of Burgundy are similarly disposed, yet they are far rarer and much smaller so the effect is not quite as visible.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I would not be at all surprised if Commas were the one species that I took most photos of this year, loads around my neck of the woods in March followed by steady numbers through July and even more from September through to October.

Really hard to pick a favourite but I especially like the shots below.

The first one was taken on the Warks BC open day back in July. I remember this male as he sat on his perch ready to launch himself at any intuders into his claimed space :D
Comma - Ryton Wood 14.07.2012
Comma - Ryton Wood 14.07.2012
and the next one from Shadowbrook Meadows in late September showing the underside from a different angle.
Comma - Shadowbrook 22.09.2012
Comma - Shadowbrook 22.09.2012
Cheers,

Neil F.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

I love those last two angles from Neil :mrgreen:

I have long been fascinated by the appearance of the Comma pupa and finally got the chance to study it closely this year. So, just to be different, here are two of my favourite images from that recent project.

Comma pupa 29-Sept-2012
Comma pupa 29-Sept-2012
Comma pupa (minutes from hatching) 4-Oct-2012
Comma pupa (minutes from hatching) 4-Oct-2012
Vince
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

Since it's a good target, I met and shot many Commas of very different colours and shades. But I only like this one from Sep 4th.

Nigel, good to hear you at least bone up on a bit for such a cool photo :D

Agree with David, Commas I know tend to inherit not only the biotopes, but also a certain trees/shrubs or even the same branches.
Attachments
babocka_bile_c_2012_09_04_bruzovice.jpg

Return to “Comma”