Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Pauline

Post by Wurzel »

"I can't find it right now as I would love to read your reaction to that! :wink: :lol:" I think my head might explode :shock: :lol: All mighty fine HBHM shots - I can't decide between them though, sorry I couldn't be more help :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It's generous of you to say so Wurzel but I can't agree with you. Trouble is, if I waited until I had some 'mighty fine' images then I'd never post anything!!! :roll: :) I really don't know how to get better shots with this camera - I'm beginning to think that this is the best it can do. I'd be interested to hear from anyone with this camera on getting good images of HBHM, especially in low light.

Popped out earlier hoping I might be able to find a Clouded Yellow but all I could find was a Brown Hairstreak!
P1140899ad.jpg
P1140896ad.jpg
and a well camouflaged moth which I haven't identified yet:
P1140906ad.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Pauline ,
I think your moth is a treble -bar ,but could be Lesser Treble-bar ...............very difficult to seperate ! Some great stuff of late particularly the early stage HBHM ,s and the Brown Hairstreaks .............we have got them back in North -West Kent area ..........but a bit awkward to pinpoint ,
but those and Wood Whites are on my "must see again " list for next season ,So a few trips over the border (Sussex ) are on the cards for next year................i,ll have a lot more time on my hands then !
Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

There were reports of 5 Cloudies at Portland today Pauline so hopefully there will be some further inland within a day or two :wink: Keep yer eyes peeled :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:36 pm...Popped out earlier hoping I might be able to find a Clouded Yellow but all I could find was a Brown Hairstreak!
That's what you call serendipity, Pauline. :mrgreen:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Really appreciate the ID Allan - thank you. I have been very interested to rear the HBHM and hope it won't be long before I see the end result. Very pleased you liked the BH shots. Like you, I imagine I shall have more time next season so who knows what we might discover???? :)

Cheers Wurzel - I am keeping them peeled and hope to make some focused efforts next week before I close down.

I have been inspired by your images David. A friend new to butterflies was keen to see BH; however, this morning the weather was really dreadful. It improved somewhat towards lunchtime so I suggested a trip to Noar Hill (I know!!!!!! It was more in hope than expectation given recent activity there). I really didn't think we would find a BH but he is a keen photographer of wildlife and I hoped that the many Meadow Browns would keep him occupied whilst I collected Sloes for some gin!!! I really, really wanted to find the butterfly for him and wandered quite a way ahead as he photographed Common Blue etc. Quite close to the triangle I spotted a female and as she landed I began to call for him. I couldn't see where he was so I was shouting to him to be quick. I was quite astonished when the reply that came back was that he had found his own BH!!!!!. I thought perhaps he was mistaking it for a Meadow Brown (he is VERY new to butterflies), but no, it was a Brown Hairstreak. Suffice to say that in the space of about 30 mins we were watching 3-4 females egg-laying in the same small area. I have not yet seen his shots to try to confirm numbers but I shall post some of mine now and perhaps someone experienced might be able to differentiate individuals?
P1140922ad.jpg
P1140936ad.jpg
P1140946bd.jpg
P1140952ad.jpg
P1140957ad.jpg
P1140962ad.jpg
P1140967ad.jpg
P1140981ad.jpg
P1140997ad.jpg
P1150001ad.jpg
P1150003ad.jpg
P1150009ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Brostreaks still going strong Pauline :D 8) I seem to recall Neil mentioning that they often get their second wind around September time :D That's the great thing about going out with no expectations - things often turn up then 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

September is often a good month for me Wurzel. I was delighted to see those Hairstreaks. Today was another good day and for that I must thank Scott - AGAIN!!!!!! :D :D I was only 3.5 mins away from where I live. I don't usually post scenic shots but here are a few:
P1150048d.jpg
P1150049d.jpg
P1150050d.jpg
P1150051d.jpg
It was 3rd time lucky trying to get onto this site but today there were no red flags. I was so pleased to see 3 Grayling tho' I could only manage to keep up with one that was quite worn and even then could only get distant shots. However, this was a species I thought I was going to miss out on this year so thanks again Scott:
P1150025ad.jpg
P1150027ad.jpg
This venue is a paradise for anyone interested in Damsel/dragonflies. I have little idea what most of them are but I shall post a few shots anyway. Lots of birds too and a few birders.
P1150020ad.jpg
P1150013ad.jpg
P1150024ad.jpg
P1150022ad.jpg
P1150011ad.jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Pauline. What wonderful brown hairstreak shots! Really beautiful.

Your dragonflies are common darters, Sympetrum striolatum.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

That's great Pauline! It's looking beautiful down there at the moment and I'm happy you saw some grayling. It's worth paying a late evening visit and you may see a hobby hawking dragonflies over the pond, and also hear some nightjars calling when dusk sets in.
Did I mention a few days ago I saw a hoopoe a not far from here! Interestingly it was flying through an housing estate!

All the best, Scott
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work, Pauline. I wasn't expecting Graylings to turn up in your PD, especially so late in the season.

Good to see Brown Hairstreaks are still in business at Noar Hill. You've scratched that itch with those now! :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely to hear from you Guy - yes, it was wonderful to see the Brown Hairstreaks; several at once made it quite special. Thank you for the ID too. There seemed to be lots of different types there but I was focused on the Grayling. Must pay more attention when I return.

If anyone else had told me they saw a hoopoe Scott I would have been very sceptical. You may or not have heard of Ian and Val Brice who live very close to me and were experts in birds, especially birds of prey. Many years ago they told me they had seen one in their garden :shock: I shall certainly be taking you up on your suggestion.

Me neither David. I would have liked to have made a swift return visit but red flags up now until 2nd part of September.

A fairly brief visit to Thorney Island yesterday did not reveal a single Clouded Yellow and in contrast to elsewhere there was a really strong wind blowing. Only took a few shots, starting with GVW as it was only the 3rd one I have seen this season.
P1150077ad.jpg
P1150072ad.jpg
GVW with Spider
P1150068ad.jpg
Small White with spider
P1150093ad.jpg
P1150058ad.jpg
P1150062ad.jpg
P1150089ad.jpg
P1150086ad.jpg
DSCN1502.JPG
Ian with one of his rescued owls which he brought down to show me.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Whites Pauline 8) Love the Tawny Owl shot 8) my neighbour used to have a Barn Owl in the back yard and when my neighbour was watching a TV programme that teh Owl didn't like he'd start hissing angrily :lol: There's also a bloke that walk around Salisbury with a Tawny Owl on his shoulder :shock: - does Ian ever visit Salisbury? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:46 am...I would have liked to have made a swift return visit but red flags up now until 2nd part of September...
What are the red flags for, Pauline? Does human presence there constitute a fire risk when it's hot and dry like it is right now?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:11 pm
Pauline wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:46 am...I would have liked to have made a swift return visit but red flags up now until 2nd part of September...
What are the red flags for, Pauline? Does human presence there constitute a fire risk when it's hot and dry like it is right now?
I would think it is a MOD site and the flags indicate exercises are taking place (Please correct me if I am wrong Pauline).

Good to see that the Brown Hairstreaks are still hanging on at Noar Hill. If I hadn't had a good day at Ryton with them I may have been tempted to have a look there whe nwe were down that way recently.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:38 pm..I would think it is a MOD site and the flags indicate exercises are taking place (Please correct me if I am wrong Pauline)...
Thanks, Neil. That makes sense. There's a similar set up at Castlemartin in Pembrokeshire where my nearest Silver Studded Blue site is located.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - I don't think that sounds like something Ian would do.

Hi David, Neil - that's exactly right. There has been more firing noted of late (hence the site being closed for much longer), the local rumour being that they are training the Ukrainians. Who knows?

Yesterday I made the mistake of visiting OWH for the first time this year. I think it must be the first time ever I have been there when there is no breeze. None at all. There were very few cars in the car park despite it being a weekend and the place looked a bit deserted. I guess most sensible folk had stayed in the shade of which there is precious little at this venue. I had hoped I might see a Clouded Yellow - I didn't, which may have been just as well because at 3.00pm with the temerature reaching 30 degrees I am not sure I could have run to save my life, let alone to get a butterfly photo. I found that out pretty quickly when I tried to sprint uphill after a beautiful pristine Painted Lady which left me sweaty and breathless. This is the closest I could get:
P1150372ad.jpg
Despite the soaring temperatures there were a lot of butterflies about and I was surprised at how fresh a lot of them were. I saw 2 mating pairs of Meadow Brown and I thought for a moment I was about to see a mating pair of SSS:
P1150379ad.jpg
P1150378ad.jpg
There were many Whites along a hedgerow and I was very pleased to see a nicely marked GVW amongst them - only my 4th all year. I only managed to get one shot. I would have liked more but it took off swiftly along the hedge and chasing after it just didn't seem appealing.
P1150397ad.jpg
Instead I turned my attention to the birds. I don't seem to see as many Kestrels as I used to but there were 3 or 4 flying around the site giving some wonderful displays. When one landed I grabbed a few shots but it was a fair way off:
P1150396ad.jpg
By now my time was up and tbh I'd had enough. I had only covered a small area but hope to return when it's a little cooler.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I think an update on that HBHM pupa is about due (because it's raining :) ). I think the pupal stage of any butterfly or moth is an interesting one and not one I really fully understand. However, there are some really beautiful pupa around and I don't think they are as appreciated as much as perhaps they should be. I'd like to say I have been taking regular images of the HBHM pupa but the reality is I have been taking quick shots when I remember to in the hope that any changes over time will become apparent, by enabling comparisons to be made. I shall simply list the dates by the images so the timeframe can be noted:

21 August:
P1140743ad.jpg
29 August - not a lot of change yet whichever way it is viewed:
P1140876ad.jpg
P1140881ad.jpg

3 September:
P1150052ad.jpg
7 September:
P1150105ad.jpg
It was later the same day that colour changes became more apparent:
P1150150d.jpg
8 September - it was now clear that emergence was fast approaching but I had no idea when this would be:
P1150167d.jpg
P1150191d.jpg
As the day progressed (5.00pm) it became even darker:
P1150206d.jpg
9 September:by now the pupa was very active, moving from side to side and at times flipping right over. I tried a couple of times to move it carefully to the position I wanted for my shots but it just flipped itself straight back:
P1150219d.jpg
P1150248ad.jpg
P1150234d.jpg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Interesting it could flip over
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

It was a large pupa Katrina which made me think it was perhaps female, and certainly the liveliest I have ever seen. It made itself very clear as to where it wanted to be positioned. 10 mins after the last shot was taken the moth emerged. It happened very fast. A quick shot of the end result:
P1150299ad.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”