Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Not having much luck with deer recently. This one has taken up residence in my neighbours' garden but I noticed this morning it has an eye injury!
P1130434d.jpg
Anyway, another 2 species in the garden bringing this season's total up to 16 - adding in sighting from previous years gives a total of 22:
P1130392ad.jpg
P1130411ad.jpg
I have been trying to watch my Brimstone pupa which seems quite close to emerging but given the change in the weather I hope it can hang on a bit longer:
P1130334ad.jpg
A backlit view:
P1130413d.jpg
It doesn't look quite like I was expecting.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Pauline, that pupa doesn't look right to me either. The last time I saw one that colour, it was parasitised, but I hope I'm wrong.
Your image
Your image
My image
My image
There is more detail at the end of my report here:
https://ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/viewt ... =37&t=6382

Vince
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You've just confirmed what I was already thinking Vince - which is why I took the backlit shot to try to get a better look inside. Although the pupa was moving the whole internal outline looked too 'fragmented' with small bits that looked like they didn't belong there. I have little doubt that you are absolutely right but thanks for sending me that link. I had forgotten just how amazing your reports are and re-reading it reminded me of just how much goes into producing such a document - the skill, dedication, patience, knowledge and a whole lot more. They all deserve a lot more exposure and recognition than they probably get. Thanks Vince. PS. Very sorry to read about your Swallowtail eggs - I was looking forward to reading more about them :(

A couple of months ago I was trying to follow the development of a wild Brown Hairstreak larva which had hatched from an egg I had photographed. It was one of a very few I was able to locate on Noar Hill following several years of severe mis-management. Sadly, domestic events prevented me from seeing this through but here are a few shots I took along the way:
P1080379ad.jpg
P1080511ad.jpg
P1090289ad.jpg
P1090304ad.jpg
P1090557ad.jpg
I very much doubt I'll be visiting Noar Hill this season but wish the very best of luck to others that might want to search for the BH here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am so excited I don't quite know where to start. Early afternoon I had a small window of opportunity to check whether the local SSS were out so I changed my shoes, pocketed a spare battery and grabbed my camera. I didn't get further than the garden. It was teeming with butterflies. In all the years I have been here I have never seen so many or so much variety in one day. It wasn't like this yesterday and with the very changeable weather today it took me by surprise. There must easily have been 40 Red Admiral and probably a dozen Peacock. Also, Comma, SWF, and Painted Lady which flew over the fence (why did it go next door!!!!????). Added to that there were 4 - yes 4! Holly Blue in the garden at the same time. That has never happened before. The odd Gatekeeper flew by along with a good number of Whites.

I have mentioned before that I get the odd Skipper but today there were 3 Large Skippers in the garden (and now I know where they come from!) - 1 male and 2 female. The most exciting thing for me was watching the female Skippers egg lay in some stuff growing around my pond. (Don't know what it is - grass/reeds? I have seen Small Skippers lay on it but it tends to get destroyed over the winter as it wilts and gales blow it into the water so not sure what to do about that). Anyway, I am always torn between wanting to get the shot of her laying but not disturbing her when she is in the process so although I watched her lay 3 eggs the photos of eggs are all I have. The Large Skipper has brought the garden total up to 18 this season so although butterflies seemed quite scarce earlier on they are certainly making up for it now.

I hope the following shots give an indication of the numbers. Everywhere I turned there were butterflies on the garden furniture, the garage window, the path and even the drain pipe. I am still feeling quite overwhelmed!!!!! :shock:
P1130555ad.jpg
P1130563ad_edited-1.jpg
P1130473ad.jpg
P1130464ad.jpg
P1130548ad.jpg
P1130570ad.jpg
P1130492ad.jpg
P1130542d.jpg
P1130537d.jpg
P1130446ad.jpg
P1130560ad.jpg
3 Species all together:
P1130558ad.jpg
The stars for me today were the Skippers. They seemed to spend a great deal of time feeding at the Herb Robert around the pond or resting in the hedge behind:
P1130497ad.jpg
P1130540ad.jpg
P1130513ad.jpg
Large Skipper egg:
P1130551ad.jpg
This area behind the pond has 4 Red Admirals and 2 Skippers in it:
P1130530d.jpg
I took over 100 shots in an hour but guess I'd better stop here. If anyone has any advice re these Skipper eggs and the plant they are on it would be very welcome.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I popped out again around 6.00pm last night and butterfly activity was still going strong including this Peacock on one of the bird tables. However, it was the Hummingbird Hawk moth that had grabbed my attention. I had seen it before earlier when I was preoccupied with the egg-laying Skippers and I was determined to at least get a record shot on this incredible day for garden butterflies. I'm fairly sure this is the first time I have had 11 species in the garden at once :D :D
P1130580ad.jpg
P1130560ad.jpg
P1130585ad.jpg
Another Holly Blue which spent over an hour on a bird dropping:
P1130451ad.jpg
and a young Woodpecker playing hide and seek on another feeding station:
P1130454d.jpg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Interesting , I have never seen a Holly Blue on a bird dropping but it must be getting some nutrients
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Pauline wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:01 pm
I have mentioned before that I get the odd Skipper but today there were 3 Large Skippers in the garden (and now I know where they come from!) - 1 male and 2 female. The most exciting thing for me was watching the female Skippers egg lay in some stuff growing around my pond. (Don't know what it is - grass/reeds? I have seen Small Skippers lay on it but it tends to get destroyed over the winter as it wilts and gales blow it into the water so not sure what to do about that). Anyway, I am always torn between wanting to get the shot of her laying but not disturbing her when she is in the process so although I watched her lay 3 eggs the photos of eggs are all I have... If anyone has any advice re these Skipper eggs and the plant they are on it would be very welcome.
Pauline sent me some more photos of the plant and I recognise it as Gardeners Garters (Phalaris arundinacea variegata). It is not a known larval host plant for either Small or Large Skipper that I can find.

Vince
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Vince Massimo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:41 pm
Pauline wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:01 pm
I have mentioned before that I get the odd Skipper but today there were 3 Large Skippers in the garden (and now I know where they come from!) - 1 male and 2 female. The most exciting thing for me was watching the female Skippers egg lay in some stuff growing around my pond. (Don't know what it is - grass/reeds? I have seen Small Skippers lay on it but it tends to get destroyed over the winter as it wilts and gales blow it into the water so not sure what to do about that). Anyway, I am always torn between wanting to get the shot of her laying but not disturbing her when she is in the process so although I watched her lay 3 eggs the photos of eggs are all I have... If anyone has any advice re these Skipper eggs and the plant they are on it would be very welcome.
Pauline sent me some more photos of the plant and I recognise it as Gardeners Garters (Phalaris arundinacea variegata). It is not a known larval host plant for either Small or Large Skipper that I can find.

Vince
It does seem to be in the same tribe as Cock's-foot Grass so perhaps close enough for it to be used, or at least close enough for the females to think it will do. Sounds like a good piece of citizen science for Pauline :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Butterfly Bush living up to its name Pauline - great to get a three-fer :D :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I reckon you're right Katrina and there's plenty in my garden to attract them :lol: This one was from one of the ducks I believe.

Really appreciate your help and advice Vince. I shall certainly keep you informed.

I have about 10 of those plants in the garden Wurzel so they were spoilt for choice but with so many individuals it was inevitable they'd end up in close proximity - I have a fair few more shots of 3 species together - an incredible day!
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:01 pm...I didn't get further than the garden. It was teeming with butterflies. In all the years I have been here I have never seen so many or so much variety in one day.
That's quite some garden event, Pauline, particularly in view of the fact that things didn't start to warm up until late May.

Just shows how resilient butterflies are. All they need are a few days of good weather and they'll respond.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I shall certainly report any progress Paul - if indeed there is anything to report. Perhaps it might be wise to have some Cocks-foot to hand just incase the selected food plant is not to the larva's liking.

Funny thing is David, I have had all these species in the garden previously, so it was just the fact that they were all there at once and in such numbers that was just so incredible. It has been a fantastic year for the Red Admiral, that's true, and then there were the 100+ Peacock larva on the garden nettles but having it all come together like that .........well, it has never happened before. The Large Skippers egg-laying has never happened before either so that was the icing on the cake :D . If it was like that every day I would never want to go anywhere else!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've just checked the 3 eggs from Sunday and it looks like 2 of them have been predated. Gutted :( Can only imagine how I'd feel had it been a Swallowtail Vince!! The one which is still intact is on the clump of plant that I retrieved from the pond and stood it close by, only partially protected by netting which I thought might deter birds. Still searching the masses of leaves but no further eggs discovered so far.
P1130608ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Good to see a couple of SSS today:
P1130619ad.jpg
P1130615ad.jpg
P1130621ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yesterday I enjoyed another butterfly fest in the garden. Unlike the day before there were no Skippers to be seen but the single SWF was joined by another 2. Only 1 Holly Blue was seen but a couple of fresh Brimstone were adequate compensation. As before, many Vanessids helped to create the spectacle although some are starting to look quite worn now - that could not be said of the beautiful fresh Comma that decided to join the party. As I sat with a coffee a couple even landed on me momentarily. Rather than continue to try to describe events I'll just post a few shots:
P1130688ad.jpg
P1130694ad.jpg
P1130653ad.jpg
P1130673ad.jpg
P1130638ad.jpg
P1130698ad.jpg
P1130678ad.jpg
P1130693ad.jpg
P1130646ad.jpg
P1130651ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Must be great to see the Silver-washed in the garden Pauline :mrgreen: Nice to see your Silver-spots - they're out over this way too so only the one :mrgreen: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm very lucky Wurzel as I live in a fairly rural location surrounded by a number of different habitats including woodland, heath and farmland. As a result I do tend to get a number of different butterfly and bird species (63 to date) in the garden as well as other wildlife :D

I went to check out the Chalkhills probably over a week ago but somehow the shots from that outing have not yet made it into my diary, despite having made a return visit as there were so many butterflies to see there including a Painted Lady and a couple of Small Tortoiseshell which have been thin on the ground around here this year. A few images below:
P1130250ad.jpg
P1130321ad.jpg
P1130237ad.jpg
P1130774ad.jpg
P1130280ad.jpg
P1130283ad.jpg
P1130307ad.jpg
P1130304ad.jpg
P1130314ad.jpg
P1130289ad.jpg
P1130268ad.jpg
P1130272ad.jpg
P1130258ad.jpg
P1130744ad.jpg
P1130778ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A couple of shots of a female Hummingbird Hawk-moth egg-laying and the eggs:
P1130628ad.jpg
P1130626ad.jpg
P1130704ad.jpg
P1130631ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Whilst taking shots of Chalkhill Blues I noticed a female behaving strangely. I am not sure if she was newly emerged but she was doing some strange things with her abdomen on a bramble leaf. I doubt whether anyone can shed any light on it but I shall post the images in the order I took them - it went on for several minutes, with repition of this sequence:
P1130747ad.jpg
P1130748bd.jpg
P1130749ad.jpg
P1130750ad.jpg
P1130751ad.jpg
P1130753ad.jpg
P1130754bd.jpg
P1130763ad.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Pauline wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:34 pm Whilst taking shots of Chalkhill Blues I noticed a female behaving strangely. I am not sure if she was newly emerged but she was doing some strange things with her abdomen on a bramble leaf. I doubt whether anyone can shed any light on it but I shall post the images in the order I took them - it went on for several minutes''...
I've seen other butterflies do this, always very fresh ones. It occurs to me that they may be expelling meconium from their abdomen after just emerging from the pupa?

What do you reckon?

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”