essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: essex buzzard

Post by trevor »

I've been admiring your final Scotch Argus image, a perfect, fresh, specimen. :mrgreen:
I would have been delighted to come home with a shot like that, especially as I never seen one.

Great stuff.
David M

Post by David M »

Pangs of nostalgia reading that, Mark. Been a while since I was up in that part of the country, but both sites are excellent and Smardale Gill is especially picturesque with that old viaduct running through the valley.

Shame about the weather conditions but Scotch Argus is one species that isn't too hard to find when it's overcast. That last specimen alone made your journey worthwhile.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Dave, no. No red squirrel for us. There was a notice, asking for any greys to be reported.

Hopefully you’ll make it up there one day, Wurzel.

Yes Trevor, it was a cracker!

Thanks David. Yes, we came home happy, having achieved our aims.

Last week, it was time for my annual trip to Aston Rowant. The Silver Spotted Skipper colony, though still strong, continues to decline, and I only found about a dozen on each side of the M40, where I would have expected hundreds of adults 10 years ago.
FA29D010-23E2-4856-AEC2-EE5CB1D9DA2F.jpeg
However, Adonis Blues have colonised in that time, and they continue to consolidate their numbers with several males seen on each side during my time here (late morning to late evening), and Chalkhill Blue numbers remain quite good, especially on the north-east side.
7FE6FD05-063E-46A5-A4F2-8946813AE244.jpeg
Perhaps the most remarkable thing I saw that day was this rather peculiar Meadow Brown, amongst hundreds of normal ones.
15D5440A-FCE6-4127-BB34-887E046705A1.jpeg
Several Peacocks were still present, most having gone into hibernation by mid August.
C1C5C1AF-4D61-44BA-AFB8-4F2F791D3B0C.jpeg
Extraordinary numbers of (tattered) Brown Argus were seen, probably several hundred, and Aston Rowant has floral attraction too. Not least the Chiltern gentian. Although much more common, I just liked this Knapweed picture.
A5C1DCB8-2089-40D7-BD05-267F41C6B59A.jpeg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Chiltern gentian.
Attachments
5FBAFBBD-9DE6-47DF-BD22-8B269C3C111C.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark.
I enjoyed your reports from 'up north'. Looks like you had a good time despite the weather.

I have seen quite a few people commenting on the number of Brown Argus at Aston Rowant this year. Looks like they are having a good year around most areas, including my local patch for a change.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking looking Silver-spot Essex - they are one species that seems to age in minutes :shock: :wink: That Meadow Brown looks really interesting - is that rain damage or is it 'pathological' I wonder :? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:12 pm...Last week, it was time for my annual trip to Aston Rowant. The Silver Spotted Skipper colony, though still strong, continues to decline, and I only found about a dozen on each side of the M40, where I would have expected hundreds of adults 10 years ago..
Been a few years since I visited in peak period for SSS, Mark, and there were plenty of them. Any idea what is causing this decline?
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Neil, Brown Argus seems to have had a good year just about everywhere. I’ve even seen a few adults at work.

Hi Wurzel. I suspect it’s pathological.

David, SSS numbers have been dropping at AR for several years now. The wet spring and July might explain it this year, but numbers were low during last years heatwave summer as well. Perhaps sheep grazing produces too dense a turf, whereas cattle grazing might produce broken turf with bare patches, which this species prefers for egg laying.

Last week, we headed the other direction, to the Lydden Temple Ewell reserve in Kent. Silver Spotted Skipper numbers were higher here, if bellow average. But nothing outside the normal range, and it could be explained by the wet weather and lush vegetation this summer.
C07FFCFE-B876-4AD2-84D3-686CC9A478A5.jpeg
7A01596F-0DE9-4005-B7B5-30FC5FB49AC3.jpeg
The appearance of the second generation Adonis Blues, signals the end of summer.
E33B1FE1-CA52-4BAA-A739-69BA06D6B6FD.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

" I suspect it’s pathological." looks like it's fallen in a tin of whitewash :wink:
Lovely looking underside on that Silver-spot Essex - they seem to have lasted the course this year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

There have been some lovely images of Brown Hairstreaks being posted recently. It’s been several years since I have seen this lovely species. Problem is all the known sites are quite a long way away, and I have to hope that the weather is good for this fussy species. Even then,I have to hope the forecast is correct. Good weather at home doesn’t guarantee good weather at my destination!

Such was the case on Bank Holiday Monday. With a good forecast, and sunny spells on the way, we headed to Shipton Bellinger full of hope. But, just before we arrived, it clouded over. And that’s how it stayed! As we are aware, BH only show in warm, sunny weather. I was about to give up, when I saw something surprising.
EC50E5AB-F704-4209-BAAB-0350A785D555.jpeg
I fired off a few shots, and she was gone. A long way to go for one butterfly...!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Welcome to Autumn. Days are still quite long at first, but continue to shorten rapidly-we loose another 2 hours daylight per day by the end of September. And, of course, the sun is much lower in the sky than it was in June and July, so it’s strength is weaker.

So it’s time to have a quick look back at the summers weather. People keep saying what a poor summer it’s been, including in the various media outlets, but this is a trifle unfair, for it really hasn’t been too bad. After a cold first week, June was warmer, drier and sunnier than average, particularly in the west. There is no getting away from the fact that this was offset by a wet, cool and cloudy July, but there were a few warm, bright days in there too. August, meanwhile, was warm, especially in the second and third week, and the rain from July largely eased away.

What all this means is that this summer was very mixed, which is pretty normal- typically British!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to hear some sense talked about this summer's weather, Mark! :)

It was the hottest June on record in the UK for starters. July was lacking sunshine and was wetter than average, but was only slightly below average temperature-wise. August was better, with average temperatures and less of a sunshine deficiency. It should also be remembered that the averages are a rolling figure and those for the most recent ten-year period are noticeably higher than those for (say) thirty or forty years ago. I personally have seen more butterflies during summer 2023 than in some warmer, sunnier summers - hardly "miserable" or "a washout".

Cheers from near Heathrow where at half ten at night it is still 23 degrees outside... :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"As we are aware, BH only show in warm, sunny weather."...right up until the time when they show up in cloudy weather, they don;t follow the rule book do they :roll: :D You're right though, a long way to go, but a great butterfly none the less :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks guys. I will admit, I’ve been a bit irritated by all the negative talk, even from respected sources. Like when they send a TV camera crew to the coast, and people say “ it wasn’t as good as last year!”. Which, dare I say, is pretty obvious.

But was it really that good last summer? Us Brits usually start complaining after a few hot days in a row. And I, for one, prefer to see the vegetation green, rather than brown!

Anyway, first trip of the autumn was to Kent, starting At Trosley, then onto Lydden reserve.

Excellent numbers of Meadow Brown were at Trosley, clustering around the devils- bit scabious blooms.
2502DCB3-B216-43F5-AEDE-BE6DCF3924AB.jpeg
No Adonis Blues there this time, though. So, after lunch, we headed on to Lydden Temple Ewell, hoping to catch the Silver Spotted Skippers for one last time this year. This was successful, with a dozen or so adults seen near the Lydden end.
15E8FF63-E79A-4B47-A47D-6C8CAEEF4643.jpeg
Not quite sure what’s going on with the tongue of this female, though!?
3ADA178A-90C0-42A0-BC64-B1DD6D38D48D.jpeg
The lovely Chalkhill Blues amaze me. They must have been emerging for 7 of 8 weeks now. And they are still emerging.
2558A4AF-934F-4A35-9CD3-4445E0C04216.jpeg
In contrast, Adonis Blues have only been emerging since about mid August. But they have had a decent year, with higher numbers in both generations than 2022.
7408EB76-7869-4A49-999E-872F31755EC1.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thats a lovely female Meadow Brown Mark showing a splash of orange on her hindwings that is becoming more common these days. I wonder if this is due to the same factors that are leading to more of the 'blue' female Common Blues as well.

Regarding the weather, the mainstream news channels are always looking for the sensationalist angle, hence it is always 'extreme' heat or 'extreme' cold according to them. I agree, it does get a bit tiresome.

Having said that, I have to say that the past few days have been a bit too hot for me :roll: . Not often I say that here.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Could be that the two haves of the proboscis have come apart. The two sides are held together by little hooks which I think they can separate for cleaning - I could be wrong about this as I've relying on my memory of a lecture on insect mouth parts from 29 years ago :shock: Either way a cracking collection of Silver-spot and Blue shots :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Neil, she was lovely, enough that I was moved to take her picture. Particularly as Meadow Browns are long finish from where I live.

Yes, the September heatwave has been exceptional, not least for it’s duration. The temp is not a September record, though, as the extraordinary temperature of 35C has been registered this month in the past.

Thanks Wurzel, that would make sense. I didn’t realise they could do that.

With more reliable weather, we decided to try again for Brown Hairstreaks, visiting Steyning in Sussex, where we’ve has success in the past. A minimum of 5 females put in an appearance, with a possible male in the trees. All were showing signs of wear, but I expected that by September.
7C54D6E1-7EAB-4878-9867-27DDDFCF3DFC.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Been a fabulous beginning to September, Mark. I've never known it to be so warm for so long in that month.

Not surprised you've seen quite a few desirables, and 5 female Brown Hairstreaks is good going! Hopefully, this run of sunny days will help them successfully lay their eggs for the generation next year.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks David. Yes, the Hairstreaks have had plenty of opportunities for egg laying this September.

Then onto nearby Anchor Bottom. Excellent numbers of Adonis Blues were here, and they made a glorious early autumn sight. Some were showing their age, but equal numbers were fresh, glorious adults. Between 4.30pm and 5.30pm saw the best opportunities for picture-taking, as the males perched up for roosting, some with wings spread wide.
Attachments
9C986270-06AA-4640-ADEE-910E8CD0A870.jpeg
4F6942FF-471F-476C-AD58-9FD7F38A106C.jpeg
F5380C35-19AE-484F-B3EE-8A021E4E6F36.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning looking Adonis Blues Essex 8) From the looks of things we might be in for a bumper Brostreak year in 2024, fingers crossed :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”