millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Chris L

Re: millerd

Post by Chris L »

Wurzel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:02 pm One year I might try and do a circuit round my local patch with one of those 'clickers' and try counting just one species so I don't lose count...but as you say that would mean something would present itself to distract me :roll: :lol: Cracking Comma shots, especially the one on the blossom 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Ha, I thought about buying a Clicker too Wurzel and even got as far as putting one in my Amazon shopping basket. I thought this was a genius idea that I had - and even told someone of this parish of my brainwave.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Fantastic selection of photos Dave.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, everyone. :)

Peacocks have been particularly good this spring so far, Wurzel, but then I saw large numbers back in the summer pre-hibernation (113 on one day I seem to remember) and there was evidence of a small second brood as well. It's such a contrast to the Small Tortoiseshells which surpassed them in numbers when I was young.

In fact, it's interesting to compare the fortunes of all four of the nettle-feeders on my local patch...
Small Tortoiseshell: almost disappeared from here now.
Peacock: fluctuates from year to year, but is often (like 2023) very common.
Red Admiral: boosted by migration, but there are good numbers of home-grown butterflies every year.
Comma: also fluctuates in numbers, but is much commoner than the Small Tortoiseshell. It does of course also use hops and elm, and there is quite a bit of the former plant locally.

The numbers counted so far in 2024 rather reflect this picture:
Small Tortoiseshell: 1
Peacock: 79
Red Admiral: 15
Comma: 24

Friday 29th March followed a truly awful day on Thursday (there was sleet for a while - the nearest to snow we've seen all winter), and then a wild, wet and windy night. A cool wind persisted, and despite some sunny intervals my local walk could only discover one Peacock and two Speckled Woods. All three were seen in the same small bit of sheltered light woodland.
SpW1 290324.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent tally of Peacocks thus far, Dave.

My combined total of UK butterflies in 2024 doesn't even reach half that figure!!
millerd

Post by millerd »

March has been so much better than last year, David, more on a par with other recent years. I've seen butterflies on 13 days of the month: Peacocks are the standout at the moment, with Brimstones a close second.

Easter Saturday March 30th was a much better day, with long spells of warm sunshine and only gentle breezes. I spent a couple of hours on my local patch straddling midday, and found 41 butterflies with 8 species represented.

As expected, Brimstones and Peacocks predominated, with 13 of each species counted. As Wurzel commented about his local batch of Peacocks, they were very flighty today, probably because of the strength of the sun. I caught one at a distance enjoying the blackthorn blossom.
PK1 300324.JPG
Only one of the Brimstones stopped in an accessible spot, unfortunately next to some of the litter left along the footpath.
BR1 300324.JPG
Four Small Whites appeared today, but only the first settled and nectared.
SW1 300324.JPG
There were also four Commas, probably even more energetic than the Peacocks - one of them persistently chased a Red Admiral, which eventually tucked itself down on the ground to escape the attention.
RA1 300324.JPG
This was the first of two seen.

Speckled Woods were much in evidence today, with five counted in widely spaced out locations along the walk. They were mostly posing nicely too.
SpW7 300324.JPG
SpW5 300324.JPG
SpW4 300324.JPG
This one looks like a female, with bigger brighter markings and a chubbier abdomen.
SpW2 300324.JPG
In the same area as this last butterfly, my first Orange Tip of the year drifted by. I expected it to continue without stopping as they often do, but instead it paused to bask...
OT2 300324.JPG
...and then again in an even better spot.
OT1 300324.JPG
I saw another one nearer home, but this was more typical in behaviour and carried on along the hedge and then hopped over it and out of sight.

I looked in vain for Holly Blues, but just as I reached my front doorstep, one whizzed straight past me and across the back gardens. Another first for the year, but hopefully the herald of one or two more... :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like Spring finally arrived today....and on my day off too!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That worked out well for once, Paul. :) It certainly felt properly springlike yesterday, and the Orange Tips agreed.

Easter Sunday 31st March. Not so much here today, as the stubborn cloud only cleared briefly, and the resulting sunshine was very patchy and short-lived. However, I followed the old adage - if you go out, you might see something but if you stay at home you certainly won't. :)

I managed to find only half a dozen butterflies: three Peacocks, a Comma, a Red Admiral and another Orange Tip. The Comma evaded the camera's lens (they are good at that sometimes), but one of the Peacocks couldn't resist a bit of blossom.
PK1 310324.JPG
The Red Admiral was initially up in the same tree, but ended up right where I'd seen it yesterday.
RA1 310324.JPG
The Orange Tip was tempted out by the longest burst of sun, but quickly realised that it wasn't going to last and settled on a newly-opened bramble leaf cluster. It then sat, opening and closing its wings as the sun came and went, and finally shut up shop as the cloud defeated the sun and the temperature dropped. It became an easy subject.
OT4 310324.JPG
OT6 310324.JPG
OT7 310324.JPG
OT8 310324.JPG
OT9 310324.JPG
OT10 310324.JPG
OT12 310324.JPG
OT3 310324.JPG
OT11 310324.JPG
Every year I take a lot of shots of this butterfly, but its season is relatively short and it is such a lovely sight I just can't resist! :)

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

i think the cloud in your area ( very sunny here ) helped you obtain those superb OT shots. :mrgreen:
Butterflies have certainly responded to this fine weekend.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant to see the OTs Dave :mrgreen: which means that it shouldn't be too long til they're out in numbers over this way - now we just need the weather to buck up! :roll: :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers Trevor and Wurzel - every moment the sun shines now is a trigger for butterfly activity it seems... :) I just have to keep my eye on the weather radar to see when the breaks are likely to come this way. :)

Plenty of sunshine first thing, but I could tell that it was going to be one of those days when the cloud bubbles up fairly quickly and probably takes over completely later on. I set off round my local patch at around ten (since the clocks went forward of course this is "earlier" than ten o'clock was last week!).

The butterflies were already up and about, with several Peacocks and a Red Admiral seen within a few minutes.
PK1 010424.JPG
PK2 010424.JPG
RA1 010424.JPG
During the course of a couple of hours the totals rose steadily resulting in this list of sightings for the morning:

Peacock 12
Brimstone 6
Speckled Wood 5
Comma 3
Orange Tip 2
Small White 2
Red Admiral 2
GVW 1

The last of these was another first sighting for 2024. I spotted it at a distance make its way to some cherry blossom, and something about the flight made me suspect it was not a Small White. Sure enough, zooming in on it revealed the telltale "green" veins on the underside.
GVW1 010424.JPG
GVW2 010424.JPG
The other two whites seen were almost certainly Small though.

Several Specklies were out today - I counted five for certain, but there may have been more. Two caught up in a tussle passed right in front of the camera - a bit too close for a decent in-flight shot...
SpW1 010424.JPG
...but others posed sensibly on the greenery.
SpW2 010424.JPG
SpW3 010424.JPG
SpW4 010424.JPG
Not far from the sparring Specklies, I had previously noticed a small sprig of cuckoo flower just coming into bloom. Sat upon it this morning, rather appropriately, was a roosting Orange Tip.
OT1 010424.JPG
I noticed that this spot was now shaded, so decided to give the butterfly a helping finger to a better location.
OT2 010424.JPG
In full sun, it responded quickly and within a minute or two set off into the air.
OT3 010424.JPG
The other species photographed was a Comma, the only one of the three seen anywhere near ground level.
Comma1 010424.JPG
However, there was one other less expected sighting. Over a sheltered patch of bedstraw growing up vigorously next to a fence I saw something flit back and forth. I pointed the camera hopefully at it and the heavily cropped image revealed it to be a Hummingbird Hawk Moth.
HBHM1 010423.JPG
A early sighting (though a few years ago one appeared here in February). Some apparently do spend the winter here.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find that HBHM Dave 8) but I reserve the :mrgreen: for the OTs and Green-veined White - still to see one round this way, in fact the white so far has been Brimstone...and that's more of a 'yellow' really :wink: :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Eight species is good going at this time of year, Dave. Things seem to have lifted off lately round your way. That hummingbird hawk moth topped things off nicely. :mrgreen:
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers Wurzel and David - the butterflies are certainly responding to any bits of decent weather, and that Hummer was an unexpected bonus. :)

Tuesday 2nd April was quite warm again, and there was brightness enough to tempt out the butterflies. However, I was heading off to visit an old school friend and had a meagre five minutes to see what might be out on the closest bit of my local patch. The answer was a Peacock and a Speckled Wood.
PK1 020424.JPG
SpW1 020423.JPG
I returned from my break away early afternoon on 4th April, and a gap between heavy showers made another soggy local walk obligatory. It was warm again (15 degrees or so), and I quickly counted 23 butterflies: ten Peacocks, four each of Orange Tips and Specklies, two Small Whites, two Red Admirals and a single Comma.

The Red Admirals were in the same spots as those I've seen on all the recent walks, and I'm pretty sure they are the same two I'm seeing each time. This is one of them.
RA1 040424.JPG
RA2 040424.JPG
Specklies are turning up everywhere, and all of today's sightings were well-separated and nowhere near their usual hotspots.
SpW1 040424.JPG
SpW2 040424.JPG
SpW3 040424.JPG
Unusually, the intermittent nature of the sunshine was not grounding the Orange Tips in the way it normally does does, so my only shot was of one I hadn't seen flying at all and nearly stepped on.
OT1 040424.JPG
The Peacocks were very energised too, and rarely stopped for long today.
PK1 040424.JPG
Nor did the Comma, which hared off into the trees before I could get anywhere near it. However, both the Small Whites I found were exactly the opposite, and allowed close approaches.
SW4 040424.JPG
SW3 040424.JPG
I was actually out for less than an hour before the rain came down again.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Overnight it rained a fair bit once again, but by ten o'clock on Friday 5th April, the rain had cleared to blue sky and blustery winds. However, with so much moisture on the ground the sun just evaporated it into low fluffy clouds within an hour. It was warm though, and the sun/cloud mix was enough to mobilise some of my local butterflies - but not the Brimstones. It has to be much more full-on sunshine to wake them up into full hedgerow patrol mode.

Today's count:

Peacock 11
Orange Tip 7
Speckled Wood 6
Comma 2
Small White 2
Red Admiral 1

It was ideal Orange Tip observation weather: they flew when the sun was out and quickly settled when it wasn't. They could easily be found and approached during the cloudy spells and watched coming back to life when touched by the sun again.
OT1 050424.JPG
OT3 050424.JPG
OT5 050424.JPG
OT6 050424.JPG
OT7 050424.JPG
OT10 050424.JPG
OT11 050424.JPG
OT12 050424.JPG
OT13 050424.JPG
OT14 050424.JPG
The two Commas seen today posed well too, unlike the others I've seen recently.
Comma5 050424.JPG
Comma3 050424.JPG
Comma4 050424.JPG
Comma1  050423.JPG
Specklies can always be relied upon...
SpW1 050424.JPG
SpW2 050424.JPG
...and with so many Peacocks around, I nearly forgot to tackle one (though it looks as if a bird had already had a crack at this one).
PK1 050424.JPG
I'm still waiting for the real emergence of Holly Blues to bring things fully into spring here.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 6th April: As forecast, a very warm day for early April, but very windy and unfortunately the sunshine was very hazy indeed. However, there was enough strength in it (it's as strong as it is in early September) to encourage the butterflies out.

I made a good start - the first butterfly I saw was a Holly Blue, and with the conditions as they were it was keen to sit and bask. Better still, it was a lovely new female.
HB7 060424.JPG
HB6 060424.JPG
HB5 060424.JPG
During my local walk, I saw another three, all males, and none so cooperative.
HB1 060424.JPG
HB4 060424.JPG
Brimstones were flying today - but not for long as the cloud thickened as the day wore on. I watched one select a suitable place to roost and wait for something better.
BR1 060424.JPG
BR2 060424.JPG
The other highlight of the day was the first female Orange Tip of 2024. Though it looked normal from above...
OT4 060424.JPG
OT1 060424.JPG
...and from one side just looked a bit wonky...
OT7 060424.JPG
...from the other it appeared very strange indeed.
OT8 060424.JPG
Overall, I counted 59 butterflies (the highest total of the year so far) with nine species represented. A few others from the mix:
SW2 060424.JPG
SpW1 060424.JPG
PK2 060424.JPG
Comma2 060424.JPG
The breakdown of the sightings on the day:

Peacock 19
Orange Tip 9
Speckled Wood 8
Brimstone 7
Holly Blue 4
Small White 4
Red Admiral 3
Comma 3
GVW 2

Dave
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Absolutely awesome photos Dave. Really surprised to see the Orange Tip on the finger photos. I am lucky if I get within 10 foot of one round my way. Do you use Garlic Mustard aftershave? :lol:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of images Dave -especially like the Holly Blue :mrgreen: , looks like you've remembered the whispering ways :wink: :D Still can't find an OT over this way despite hours of wandering in their usual haunts...there's still time yet though, fingers crossed...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see such numbers and variety, Dave. We've a fair bit of catching up to do in persistently dank and cloudy south Wales!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Chris L wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:10 pm Absolutely awesome photos Dave. Really surprised to see the Orange Tip on the finger photos. I am lucky if I get within 10 foot of one round my way. Do you use Garlic Mustard aftershave? :lol:
Thank you, Chris! :) Well, I'm no stranger to garlic... :) However, there's a knack in approaching Orange Tips, and the current weather with sunny intervals plays a big part. When it's cloudy, they settle on flower heads and go to sleep. In that state they can be gently persuaded to walk onto a finger, and then you wait for the sun to reappear. They then start to open their wings and you have a few seconds to snap away before they fly off.
Wurzel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:57 pm Cracking set of images Dave -especially like the Holly Blue :mrgreen: , looks like you've remembered the whispering ways :wink:
Wurzel
Cheers, Wurzel. I'm a bit rusty after the winter, and there have been very few Hollies to practice with so far - but these few have been very amenable, as you'll see. :)
David M wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:07 pm Great to see such numbers and variety, Dave. We've a fair bit of catching up to do in persistently dank and cloudy south Wales!
I think things have been better over this way for the last couple of weeks, David. Still plenty of rain, but mostly overnight and there have been lots of days with an hour or two of sunshine in them. Hopefully it'll improve in South Wales soon, and you'll be tripping over Holly Blues in Cwm Ivy as usual! :)

Sunday 7th April. It remained just as windy as Saturday, but instead of hazy sunshine, there were bright sunny intervals which became shorter and shorter as the day progressed. I saw fewer butterflies, but the same nine species all made an appearance.

The first of these was a female Orange Tip, with noticeably bold markings. I saw this individual at the start of my walk, and she was still flying around the same spot when I came back some while later. Her preferred spot was on a wild rape plant, to which she frequently returned. Whilst sitting atop the flowerhead she appeared to be going through the motions of laying, but there were no eggs that I could discover afterwards.
OT3 070424.JPG
OT7 070424.JPG
OT10 070424.JPG
OT13 070424.JPG
She was also happy to wander onto a finger.
OT6 070424.JPG
The next butterfly I encountered I disturbed from a patch of soggy ground where it had been puddling. A male Holly Blue, it flew up to a nearby bit of bramble and (like me) patiently waited for the sun to come out again.
HB2 070424.JPG
The slightest hint of sun, and it would twitch its wing open a little.
HB3 070424.JPG
It turned around and appeared to try and stare me down...
HB4 070424.JPG
..and was briefly joined by a handsome hoverfly.
HB6 070424.JPG
At last, there was a longer bit of sunshine, and it took advantage.
HB7 070424.JPG
HB10 070424.JPG
A couple of fresh male GVW occupied most of the rest of my camera time. These butterflies seem intensely white at this time of year and dazzle the lens somewhat.
GVW2 070424.JPG
GVW8 070424.JPG
GVW7 070424.JPG
However, they have very attractive undersides.
GVW4 070424.JPG
GVW5 070424.JPG
Among the other butterflies...
BR1 070424.JPG
PK1 070424.JPG
...plus a well-marked female Speckled Wood that seemed more orange than usual.
SpW2 070424.JPG
There was also a splendid Comma, completely unmarked from hibernation, looking almost as fresh as it would have done back in October.
Comma2 070424.JPG
At the end of my walk, there was a different Red Admiral - not one of the territorial males, but a female egg-laying.
RA1 070424.JPG
RA egg1 070424.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Monday 8th April was much less windy, and quite a bit warmer than Sunday, with temperatures reaching 18 degrees locally. However, it was often cloudy and a lot of the sunshine was hazy, giving the day a bit of a muggy feel. However, I saw quite a few butterflies - all ten of the species seen here this year made an appearance.

I started the day by popping round to post a letter (remember those?). As I passed close to a bit of hedge intertwined with ivy, something fluttered across my vision. I looked up, and peering back down at me was this little chap.
HB1 080424.JPG
Disturbed by someone coming the other way, it relocated lower down.
HB2 080424.JPG
Here is a bit of context, demonstrating that the Holly Blue is quite at home in a suburban setting.
HB context 080424.JPG
It was fairly early, and the sun not particularly strong, so the butterfly stretched its wings wide.
HB5 969424.JPG
HB4 080424.JPG
Its a good thing I'd popped the camera in my pocket out of habit.

After returning home to drop my coat off, I set off on my usual walk, but extended it over a greater area now that things had dried out a bit. My next encounter was with a male Orange Tip, just warming up for the day.
OT1 080424.JPG
OT2 080424.JPG
OT5 080424.JPG
Nearby were several Peacocks as usual...
PK1 080424.JPG
...and a Specklie.
SpW1 080424.JPG
As I carried on, there were one or two more of both these species, but the next butterfly I concentrated on was a Green-veined White. Over the last couple of days, I've seen more of these than I have Small Whites. They are as fond of garlic mustard as the Orange Tips and this is where it was sitting.
GVW1 080424.JPG
GVW5 080424.JPG
While concentrating on the GVW I actually nearly missed an Orange Tip waiting for the sunshine on another flower nearby.
OT context 080424.JPG
OT7 080424.JPG
I then set off round the perimeter of the large open grassland area between the M25 and the River Colne, and the most noticeable aspect of this bit of my walk was disturbing Peacocks from the grass every 25 metres or so. In amongst them I found a single Small Tortoiseshell (which flew off as I approached), one or two Brimstones and a couple of Small Whites. I spotted another White flying much more daintily and nearer the ground, and as I expected this turned out to be a female GVW.
GVW7 080424.JPG
About 20 minutes later, I came across another one.
GVW8 080424.JPG
The cloud now increased and put a bit of a dampener on events, so I returned home for lunch. However, things improved again later, so I had a second bite of the cherry in the afternoon. I shall therefore split this post or it will get a bit overloaded... :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”