millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
robpartridge

Re: millerd

Post by robpartridge »

Crikey... Rather puts my record-keeping into the shade!
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
millerd

Post by millerd »

robpartridge wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:06 am Crikey... Rather puts my record-keeping into the shade!
It really wasn't done with any rigorous scientific method involved, Rob. There were a lot of approximations in among those numbers, especially at the height of the season and on days when I set out to count one or two particular species. When numbers were low the totals would have been more accurate.

One thing I can add to the lists above is another detailing the highest counts in one day of each individual species.

1. Meadow Brown 250+ (all my attempts to make an accurate count of this species failed dismally!)
2. Red Admiral 153 (This, on the other hand, was pretty accurate... :) )
3. Peacock 113 (also accurate)
4. Gatekeeper 100+ (another approximation)
5. Holly Blue 52 (possibly my highest ever one day figure for what is always a frequently encountered butterfly)
6. Essex Skipper/Small Skipper 50 (the individual peaks for these two did not coincide, but the difficulties in differentiating between them made it hard to list them separately. This total of 50 came twice - once with SS well underway and ES just starting (rough split 25-25), and then again at peak ES time (ES 40 - SS 10))
7. Small White 35
8. Brown Argus 34
9. GVW 30
10. Comma 29
11 Common Blue 27
12. Orange Tip 23
13. Large White 21
13. Small Heath 21
15. Speckled Wood 20
16. Brimstone 18

Everything else had maximum counts in single figures.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

And now back to 2024...

Friday 9th March was sunny again, and the easterly wind had a bit more southerly in it and was not as strong. It seemed a degree or two warmer, and during my usual local ramble the butterfly count increased. The favoured bit of willow sported a Red Admiral again...
RA2 090324.JPG
...and then on the way back a different one had taken its place.
RA1 090324.JPG
I wonder how many there are hereabouts at the moment... :)

In between I disturbed a Peacock that was basking on a stretch of that rare commodity - a dry bit of path. Another photo opportunity missed, though. Also evading my lens were two different male Brimstones - my first of the year. Three species today and the year count up to four: hopefully a Small Tortoiseshell will be next, but they are so uncommon here these days, it may well be a Small White or Speckled Wood (did I hear someone suggest Holly Blue? :) )

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"did I hear someone suggest Holly Blue?" I think they might have whispered it Dave :wink: :lol:
Twenty species is a good haul from a local patch 8) I totally get the difficulty with recording an accurate number for Meadow Brown but you seem to be much more accurate than me, although to be fair I generally go: "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...loads" :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I've tried counting Meadow Browns several times in peak season, Wurzel, just to get an idea of just how many there might be. However, I always lose the plot around the 250 mark or get distracted by other butterflies. As I tend to do a circuit round the edge of a largish area, I'm sure the actual total number of butterflies on the wing on some of these days is easily double that. I wonder how many caterpillars are out there at the moment...Thousands, probably! :)

Thursday 14th March was forecast to be bright, warmer than recently and above all dry. At around noon, the sun came out properly, and stayed out for the best part of the next two hours. I immediately hauled on a new set of boots and set off for my local patch, pausing only to shed a wholly unnecessary coat.

Within a few minutes I spotted a Peacock, and shortly afterwards a Brimstone - followed by another. I then had to negotiate the flooded path - again (the River Colne has if anything risen a little over that few days), and while splashing my way along a saw another Peacock.

Over the course of the whole walk, taking around 90 minutes at a gentle pace, I came across a grand total of 28 butterflies:

Brimstone 13 (12m, 1f)
Peacock 8
Comma 7

They must all have been woken by the warmer weather recently, and spurred into action by the added ingredient of sunshine. I was, however, surprised not to see a single Red Admiral today. All my previous outings this year have included at least one, and usually nothing else - now the rest are out in numbers the Admirals seen to have disappeared.

A few photos from today (unfortunately not one of the Brimstones stopped for a second):
PK2 140324.JPG
PK1 140324.JPG
Comma5 140324.JPG
Comma1 140324.JPG
Comma2 140324.JPG
Comma3 140324.JPG
Comma4 140324.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

One year I might try and do a circuit round my local patch with one of those 'clickers' and try counting just one species so I don't lose count...but as you say that would mean something would present itself to distract me :roll: :lol: Cracking Comma shots, especially the one on the blossom 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - the blossom is early this year, and the butterflies pose so well on it. They don't always coincide so nicely... :)

Saturday 16th March. Overnight cloud had kept the temperatures up, so when it cleared around ten or so the sun warmed things up pretty quickly. I set out onto my local patch and within a few minutes had seen four Brimstones and a couple of Peacocks. However, the next butterfly was another first for the year - a male Small White fresh from the chrysalis. The first Small Whites I see each year are usually almost unmarked, but this one was atypical in comparison.
SW2 160324.JPG
A bit of low cloud still lingered and helpfully becalmed a Brimstone for a minute or two. They are much trickier to photograph at this time of year compared to their last appearance in August.
BR1 160324.JPG
As I wandered along, a series of Peacocks and Brimstones fluttered into view, and as the temperature rose further a few Commas joined them.
Comma1 160324.JPG
They always seem to be last to appear, and if the day clouds over early they may not emerge at all. Overall I counted 24 butterflies before further, more serious, cloud arrived from the west at around midday. The tally:

Peacock 11
Brimstone 9
Comma 3
Small White 1

A few Peacocks to finish with...
PK2 160324.JPG
PK3 160324.JPG
PK4 160324.JPG
Those examples all seem to have survived the winter largely unscathed.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a beautifully marked Small White Dave 8) Looks like the Heathrow bubble did it again :mrgreen: - no such luck over this way, still there's always tomorrow, fingers crossed :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with the Small White Dave. As far as I know that's the second new species
for 2024 so far. I was at Alexandra Palace yesterday and regretting not being able
to make the most of that morning sunshine. Oh well!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel and Trevor. It was good to see the Small White - the first of the non-hibernators. :)

Ah, Ally Pally Trevor... When I grew up in North London, I could see it from my bedroom window.

Sunday 17th March. A very damp and drizzly morning finally gave way to some warm sunshine, but not until three o'clock. This was enough to wake up a couple of Commas, though nothing else appeared during my local wander.
Comma2 170324.JPG
Comma1 170324.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely to see the Commas Dave :D ...we're edging forward ever so slowly this year, hopefully there will be a sudden burst at the start of April when everything will kick up in a butterfly bonanza :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Leaps and bounds, Wurzel, with a sudden warm sunny day providing one of the bounds today.

Wednesday 20th March was sunnier and warmer than forecast, and at around eleven I needed no further encouragement to tour my local patch.

Almost immediately I found a couple of Peacocks, followed by a flyby Brimstone - and then a smaller darker butterfly appeared. This was my first Speckled Wood of the season, but in its short life it appeared to have been in the wars already.
SpW2 200324.JPG
Moving on, I was pleasantly surprised when another Specklie appeared not far from the first one. However, this individual was in much better nick.
SpW1 200324.JPG
Brimstones and Peacocks appeared at regular intervals, and when I took a closer look at one of the latter basking on some brambles, I noticed that a bit higher up was a Red Admiral. This was the first I'd seen for ten days.
RA1 200324.JPG
Wandering through an area where I'd seen a few of the species way back in July, I disturbed a Small Tortoiseshell from a nettle patch - but I was unable to track down where it had rehidden itself. Another first for the year, though. Brimstones and Peacocks continued to dominate proceedings, but after noon a few Commas appeared as well...
Comma1 20034.JPG
Comma2 200324.JPG
...and then perched high on the tip of a long thin willow branch was another Red Admiral.
RA2 200324.JPG
I had been searching this particular area for any more Speckled Woods as it is a favourite spot for them, and caught a quick glimpse of one - but the very soggy ground made following it rather risky. Though the river level has dropped, the ground is saturated everywhere at the moment and going off the the paths is not a good idea. Approaching home, I finished off with another couple of Peacocks enjoying the dandelions.
PK1 200324.JPG
PK2 200324.JPG
The total count for the two-hour walk was 46 butterflies, with six species seen. Breaking it down:

Brimstone 19
Peacock 17
Comma 4
Speckled Wood 3
Red Admiral 2
Small Tortoiseshell 1

I had a good look in likely spots for any sign of a Holly Blue, but without luck - though seeing that Goldie spotted one in Kent it can't be too long before they appear. However, the current forecast isn't too good for the coming weekend, though it may pick up again as Easter approaches. Fingers crossed! :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thursday 21st March was not as warm as the previous day, nor as sunny - in fact the weather didn't really get into gear until after lunch and nor did the butterflies.

It is noticeable that on days like this with an absence of strong morning sunshine, the Brimstones tend to give it a miss: today they did just that and I didn't see a single one. However, Peacocks (with their dark colouring capable of absorbing more energy from lower light levels) were undaunted and I counted 14 individuals today. One or two, like this one, seem untouched by hibernation: fresh colour and not a tear to be seen.
PK1 210324.JPG
Three Commas appeared as well, and these seemed in reasonable condition too, though it is always trickier to spot any tears given their naturally ragged outline. I think there are only two individuals here, but they do like to pose.
Comma1 210324.JPG
Comma2 210324.JPG
Comma3 210324.JPG
Comma4 210324.JPG
Comma5 210324.JPG
I encountered just one Red Admiral, but disturbed it long before I was anywhere near to the insect. On the other hand, another very fresh Speckled Wood (in the same area but a different individual to yesterday's) allowed a very close approach.
SpW3 210324.JPG
SpW1 210324.JPG
I also spotted the more tatty one from yesterday's outing, busily chasing any Peacock that came near.
SpW2 210324.JPG
Another 20 butterflies today, despite the lack of Brimstones.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of shots Dave, the second Specklie is a cracker :D Those Red Admirals seem in good nick - I haven't seen reports of them over this way for a few weeks now but then it's not been a conducive weather wise over here :roll: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunday 24th March: A better day after Saturday's cold wind and occasional hail showers. More sunshine (though not exactly warm), but no rain and lighter winds.

I only found 18 butterflies locally today, though if I'd stayed out an hour or so longer into early afternoon I think I'd have seen more. However, six species were represented today, though I still await my first Holly Blue.

Peacock 9
Brimstone 3
Comma 2
Small White 2
Red Admiral 1
Speckled Wood 1

I was disappointed not to get any photos of the two whites, but one disturbed the other as | approached, and then both were harried by a Brimstone (all male butterflies I suspect). The two other Brimstones I saw were more obliging.
BR2 240324.JPG
BR1 240324.JPG
The willow flowers continue to provide good nectar opportunities for the hibernators...
Comma1 240324.JPG
PK1 240324.JPG
PK2 240324.JPG
PK3 240324.JPG
...but this Red Admiral headed for the ground a little way off when the sun went in.
RA1 240324.JPG
I also found a Specklie in another sheltered spot away from the previous sightings - they must be gradually appearing along the length of my walk.
SpW1 240324.JPG
The garlic mustard is still visibly growing, and the first bud has opened...
garlic mustard.JPG
Surely a signal for the first Orange Tip to appear! :)

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Looks like things are well and truly started down your way Dave. Things are still lagging behind a bit around here as usual but I did see a few this afternoon.

Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Been a couple of OT sightings at knepp already.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I just continue to envy you your Small Tortoiseshells, Neil. I've just seen the one so far, and looking back I would have been in double digits by now.

Still no Orange Tips here yet, Paul, though surely it can't be long (particularly if they've started appearing elsewhere).

Tuesday 26th March: today's weather forecast was pleasingly a bit inaccurate, with rather more warm sunshine this morning than expected with the promised rain holding off till after lunch. Accordingly I went out locally once again between about half ten and half twelve and found the butterflies already up and about.

A sunny start to the day meant Brimstones, and over the two hours I counted 18 - conservative total with maybe a bit of overcompensation for possible repeats. There were two females in among them today - I've not seen that many so far this year. Peacocks couldn't quite outdo them, with a total of 17 seen, and the remainder of the sightings comprised three Specklies, two Commas, a Small White (a female investigating the remains of a neighbour's Brusselss sprouts), and a Red Admiral (also a female, looking to lay on some of the abundant new nettle growth).

Peacocks first:
PK1 260324.JPG
PK2 260324.JPG
PK3 260324.JPG
PK4 260324.JPG
Brimstones - a couple nectaring...
BR1 260324.JPG
BR2 260324.JPG
...the first female I spotted attracted the vain attentions of a male - she outmanouevred him...
BR3 260324.JPG
...and the second female had sensed that worse weather was on the way even though the sun was still out, and I watched her carefully select a place to roost.
BR4 260324.JPG
The three Speckled Woods were well separated, and two of them were prepared to bask. One sat in a hawthorn which is well in leaf now and not far off flowering...
SpW1 260324.JPG
...and the other one chose a suitably reflective piece of greenery.
SpW2 260324.JPG
Finally, the Red Admiral, seen initially sizing up the nettles...
RA1 260324.JPG
...posed nicely up on the brambles as the sun lost the battle with the cloud.
RA2 260324.JPG
More than 40 butterflies seen again today.

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

You were lucky Dave, the only sun here this morning was just after dawn.
Then it was grey, with rain at lunchtime.
You will almost certainly see an OT before me, they are seldom early locally.

Well done today.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A lovely collection of Peacock images Dave 8) I've found them to be extra flighty over this way so far this year - mind you that could just be down to me getting older and less nimble :roll: Looking forward to your first OT shots as I've seen a few reports from other places and you're normally at least a week ahead of me over here in the west :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”