Prepare yourselves for more extremes

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
David M

Prepare yourselves for more extremes

Post by David M »

I noticed a few days ago that my daily paper was predicting general temperatures of 14C by the middle of next week in southern and eastern Britain.

Having watched the weather for the week on Countryfile this evening, it seem as though these predictions could actually be conservative.

By Thursday 23rd February, much of the southernmost parts of the UK could be basking in temperatures of 16C, with 18 and 19 not ruled out. What's more, with the sun out there could be isolated microclimates that could climb higher still.

If this proves to be the case, I'd expect overwintering butterflies to be out en masse, so by this time next week the 'February Sightings' thread could well have gone into meltdown.

I can recall a few occasions in late February when we've experienced unusually mild days, but I don't think I can ever remember 18C quoted before, so dust yourselves down and be ready to get out and enjoy one of life's most pleasant aberrations - balmy weather in February.

Who knows, we may even be able to knock spots off Guy Padfield in a few days!
Susie

Re: Prepare yourselves for more extremes

Post by Susie »

Yes, looks like we could have some balmy weather coming up later this week. With frogs in the pond and catkins already bursting on the sallow in my garden I can see that spring will arrive with a vengence.

February 14th 1999 had temperatures up in the mid 70s. I remember it well as we went for a picnic at Hampton Court with our toddler and new baby. :shock:
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:February 14th 1999 had temperatures up in the mid 70s.
Fair play. That's awesome memory!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote:That's awesome memory!
Females remember Valentine's day for ever - especially if men forget it!

Mike
Susie

Post by Susie »

It wasn't so much that it was valentine's day but more that we were there with the new baby and able to sit on a rug on the ground with all the crocus out that I remember. It was such a lovely day!
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:It wasn't so much that it was valentine's day but more that we were there with the new baby and able to sit on a rug on the ground with all the crocus out that I remember. It was such a lovely day!
Don't believe you, Suze. :twisted:
Susie

Post by Susie »

With a new born and a very hyper toddler the last thing you think about is valentine's day other than it is very unusual to be picnicing! :lol:
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:With a new born and a very hyper toddler the last thing you think about is valentine's day other than it is very unusual to be picnicing! :lol:
I guess picnics in February are rather unusual.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Susie wrote:
February 14th 1999 had temperatures up in the mid 70s.
Unfortunately, I'm a bit of nerd as far as things meteorological are concerned - are you sure this wasn't 1998? There were three days at least when in warm sunshine 19 degrees was exceeded (13th, 14th and 15th February). 1999 looked somewhat unsettled.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/i ... 1998-197c/

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/diary1999.html

There's a reference on the first link to three butterflies being seen, I notice.

Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

Gosh, yes, you are right! It was 1998. Child number two was born in 1998 and number three in 1999. You'd think being their mum I'd remember these things. :lol:

Well done, Dave. :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

It's funny, Susie, but I remember it as being between number one son (born May 1997) and number two son (born May 1999). I pushed the former in his buggy around Leicester while wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Odd how you remember some stuff. I did have to check the year, mind :wink:
Susie

Post by Susie »

millerd wrote:It's funny, Susie, but I remember it as being between number one son (born May 1997) and number two son (born May 1999). I pushed the former in his buggy around Leicester while wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Odd how you remember some stuff. I did have to check the year, mind :wink:
Lol. Indeed. :D Between number one daughter being born in 1995 and number three daughter starting school 2003 most things are a blur to be honest so it is amazing I remember anything at all :lol: Hat's off to anyone who likes little children, I think they are hell on wheels. Fortunately they improve with age!

Anyway, back to the weather!
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

David M wrote:By Thursday 23rd February, much of the southernmost parts of the UK could be basking in temperatures of 16C, with 18 and 19 not ruled out. What's more, with the sun out there could be isolated microclimates that could climb higher still.
I fully expect the coming week's predicted temperatures to be a blip, but (at the risk of sounding like a wet blanket) I for one sincerely hope that the spring of 2012 starts later and is wetter and cooler than that of 2011.

Water levels in the reservoirs of the SE are already at uncomfortably low levels, and unless there's significant rainfall soon we're at risk of the most serious drought since 1976. For those who don't remember it: it was bad.

Paul
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pawpawsaurus wrote:we're at risk of the most serious drought since 1976
Perhaps we should invest in a North-South water pipeline instead of high-speed rail - surely a lot cheaper and beneficial to more people.

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:
Perhaps we should invest in a North-South water pipeline instead of high-speed rail - surely a lot cheaper and beneficial to more people.
...or even a West-East pipeline, as we in Wales have lakes full of the stuff!
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

MikeOxon wrote:

Mike
See BBC News discucssion on this
David M

Post by David M »

This was on BBC News tonight. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? A small island nation where 50% of the land mass receives a surplus of rain and the other 50% a deficit.

Other countries must laugh loudly at our predicament. We are supposed to be one of the best organised nations in the world with an infrastructure second to none yet we can't guarantee water supplies to those living to the east of a line drawn from Hull to Bournemouth in spite of much of the area to the west of that line (the majority of the land mass) being deluged over and above what is required to meet the population's needs.

Laughable.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

currently 18.5C here, for start of March, feels more like July! Not that I mind the odd warm spell, supposed to get a bit cooler and rain over the next few days here. Petty I am busy later or this would have been perfect butterfly hunting weather. Why must the weather be like this when your busy and not so good when your not?
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Weather”