Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Allan, I took the shot at Monkton NR ,it's in a quarry and quite Sheltered , they've got a section in there just for Butterflies, it was just like walking into fairy land, I just wish I'd found it sooner because they've got Green Hair Streaks there and lots more, I'll be going there the first time I see a Butterfly in my Garden next year. :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It seems years ago now that I was in the Lake District taking shots of the Scotch Argus with my old camera :D, so I was surprised when my Granddaughter sent me a photo from the Highlands of Scotland of what I thought was a Scotch Argus, going through my old photos I could see the photo she sent was different, so I thought, but I'm not sure, I've never seen the Mountain Ringlet so I'm not sure if I'm Right or wrong :roll:

She photographed her shot with a phone , my old camera was very strong with colour and had a great zoom , so I've put an old photo in I took to compare the two, Anybody know? Goldie :D
Attachments
Granddaughters photo
Granddaughters photo
My photo
My photo
David M

Post by David M »

Both are Scotch Argus, Goldie. The faint stripes through the fringes and the silver pupils in the ocelli give it away.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, that's another one I've to get yet :D Have a Great Christmas Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie. The photo your Granddaughter sent you is a male whereas your photo is of a female which is why they look a little different.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your info Neill, it's the truth when they say your always learning :D Have a great Christmas Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I want to wish everyone on UK Butterflies a very MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY BUTTERFLYING NEW YEAR :D GOLDIE :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:51 amI want to wish everyone on UK Butterflies a very MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY BUTTERFLYING NEW YEAR :D GOLDIE
Thank you, Goldie.

All the best to you too.

Only a few days to go. :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a mighty fine butterfly Goldie - one I'd love to see 8) :mrgreen:

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a brilliant New Year too! 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I've got 50 species so far, still a few to go, but new ones keep cropping up :D I've decided to just enjoy the shots I've got and try to improve on the shots I've taken, I just hope next year is better weather wise, this year was a bit of a disaster ,I was out a lot but missed quite a few, fingers crossed for Spring, :D Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Goldie M wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:34 pm I've got 50 species so far, still a few to go, ...
The last few can be the hardest but perhaps re-introductions will help. I had to go up to Scotland for my final one - Chequered Skipper - but since then, I've photographed some in Fineshade Wood, Northants in 2022. I'm not sure which are your last few but good luck and Best Wishes for 2024

Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Mike, a Happy New Year to you has well :D I'm trying my best to get the last few Butterfly shots but age is catching up on me, :D
Talk about( the mind is willing but the bodies not) :lol:

It's good to hear from you and that your still enjoying the Butterflies, I'm hoping I can get a few more species into the Garden this year and I've found a few more places to go so, fingers crossed :D

At present I'm watching it trying to Snow it's like being back in the North once more :D Anyway Spring bulbs are starting to show now so it won't be too long before the Spring is here, All the best take care Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

" I've got 50 species so far,"...soon be 51 once you catch up with the Grizzlies :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:58 pm...I'm hoping I can get a few more species into the Garden this year and I've found a few more places to go so, fingers crossed :D

At present I'm watching it trying to Snow it's like being back in the North once more :D Anyway Spring bulbs are starting to show now so it won't be too long before the Spring is here, All the best take care Goldie
All the best for 2024, Goldie, and I hope you do indeed attract a few more species into your garden. Now you've been down there a little while you will find it easier.

Bulbs starting to sprout here too. Cold at the moment but the evenings are getting lighter and it won't be long before our winged friends return to brighten our lives once more. :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, hope fully I'll get some shots of those Grizzles this year, I know where to go now, my Grandson says we'll go earlier this year," so hope fully" :D

Hi! David, I've tried my best with the garden, my next door neighbour how ever grows Bamboo which is trying to take over all along my fence, I chopped a lot of it down last year but I see it's grown back and now it's gaining ground around the fruit trees, I don't want to be funny with my neighbour because they're very nice, so it looks like more chopping this Spring :roll:

All the best for this New Year Wurzel and David, hope you have a goodun :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:37 pmAll the best for this New Year David, hope you have a goodun
Thanks, Goldie. I sincerely hope your part of the country gets a bit more sunshine in 2024! Last spring was a one-off, I think.

When you moved from NW England to the far SE I'm sure you weren't prepared for things to get worse!

Should improve this year. Fingers crossed.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, being near my family as been great and I'm glad I moved South :D My Grandson and Daughter have done a lot in keeping me on the move :D

My Granddaughter's getting married this Spring so lots to look forward to,( including the Butterflies ,) lets hope the weather stays kind :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

That's nice to know, Goldie. I wish your granddaughter all the best for the wedding, and yes, let's hope the weather doesn't let you down.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was just looking back over some of the shots I'd taken in my previous garden of the larger birds that used to visit every year.

I lived near two Nature reserves and was able to visit them, which I miss doing here, having said that the Butterflies here have made up for that :D

I'm always surprised when the Yorkshire Dales are always mentioned on the tele and Lancashire never is, yes we had loads of Chimneys but they've all gone now and the Rivers that were once discoloured or now full of Trout, sewage was never a problem in the seaside resorts like it is here, I just thought I'd mention these things in case anyone on the way to the Lakes, should by pass Lancashire :D :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
They loved to bathe
They loved to bathe
Kestral Taken at Brockholes NR Preston
Kestral Taken at Brockholes NR Preston
Sparrow Hawk visited my garden each year
Sparrow Hawk visited my garden each year
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

i do plan to get up that way one day Goldie and if I do manage it I'll call in on the way :wink: 8) That Sparrowhawk looks very haughty or is it just livid about something? :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”