Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David and Wurzel, the weather's been miserable, especially the wind, I've been busy in the garden sorting things out, I didn't know what to expect growing there this Spring, I found some of the flowers were lovely but not for the Butterflies really, so my Grandson came over yesterday and although it was very windy he chopped a lot of the trees for me which had got too big in growth, I've just been and bought some bulbs for planting so I plan to do that this week.- end if the rain stays a way.

I'll still look out for the CY 's but I can't see many arriving here because there's no flowers to speak of, but you never know, that's what's so great about the Butterflies they arrive when least expected :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You never know with Cloudies Goldie. I've seen them in October, in grey weather and it was cold enough for a jumper and a coat! And then when I saw them a few weeks back it was in the breaks between heavy showers - so if there is a hint of a bit of dry weather they're always worth trying for :wink: Mind you the gardening sounds great 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
Two Cloudies reported from Cliffe Pools (on Grain ) yesterday ...........terrific reserve ,but a bit of a hike ! We had one today at Dungeness ,only my second of the season ,the first on May 5th at Samphire Ho !
Good hunting ! Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Allan for the info, I'll keep looking but it doesn't seem likely around here for the Cloudies, I was walking by the sea and I was talking to some people whose garden's were over looking the sea and they didn't even note any Yellow Butterflies ever being in their gardens :D

I'm not too bothered now , if I see one okay, If I don't there's always next year, this year as been a poor one for seeing any thing , I still can't get over East Blean Woods being so bleak, I went every week to take a look for the ( WA ) and the( PHS) even the Heath were fewer, they used to be all over the car park at one time, not one in the car park at all I'll go to the woods in Blean village next year I think, at least I saw a WA there in the end. Hope you find a few more before the season finnishes :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just had a Brimstone in the Garden but it was too quick for me :D Looks like the warm weather is bringing out the Butterflies, I must go out tomorrow definitely and see if I can find some thing. Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hope that you managed to get out today Goldie and make the most of the sun?...the butterflies were out and enjoying it almost as much as I was 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:43 pmJust had a Brimstone in the Garden but it was too quick for me :D Looks like the warm weather is bringing out the Butterflies, I must go out tomorrow definitely and see if I can find some thing..
Nice species to have in your garden at this time of year, Goldie. :mrgreen:

Looks like we've three or four warm days to follow so I hope you can make the most of it.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well, I went out to Castle Park yesterday, the only Butterfly I got a shot of was a Small White, when I got home I saw a Holly Blue which settled on my daisies, when I got near to it, it flew off :D needless to say there was also Whites in my garden, I think I should have stayed home :D

I couldn't believe it at first when I saw the HB I thought they'd finished , It was so busy round here yesterday with cars trying to park, I'll try again tomorrow when things are quieter, I got the washing done today :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0148.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
Don,t give up on Clouded Yellows just yet ! We had a fresh female at Dungeness this morning ,and a Painted Lady (AND 200+ Small Coppers yesterday !) 3 or 4 (Cloudys ) were reported close to where i live on the outskirts of Ashford at Park farm estate .............they,re also showing up in reasonable numbers in coastal Sussex ..............you just never know ,you could yet get lucky with a Long-Tail !
Good Hunting ! Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting to hear about the Holly Blue - must have been a third brood :D There are some stragglers about his year - I saw a Meadow Brown on Sunday :shock: so there is still an outside chance of a Cloudy :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:15 pmDon,t give up on Clouded Yellows just yet ! We had a fresh female at Dungeness this morning...
Agreed! There are still a few about round my way, Goldie, so keep your eyes peeled. We have a few sunny days to follow which will help.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for your posts Allan ,Wurzel and David, I've been busy these last few days, my Grandson came round to cut my edges for me and my back gate fell off which we struggled to put right , he managed to get it on again but said it needed fixing properly and he'd come back to sort it, also my Daughter borrowed my car to go to some race in London, she'd lent her car to my Granddaughter because her car was in the garage being sorted out, :D
( happy families). :lol:

When I get sorted I hope the Sun's still shining :D :lol: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'M still seeing Whites in my Garden but mostly they pass through ,the flowers are past their best now but it's still good to see them, a coloured one was so fast it nearly hit me on the head :D I couldn't make out quite what it was but by the way it was flying it could have been an Admiral :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Good that you're still seeing Whites, Goldie. They dropped off a cliff in mid-October here (as they always do).
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It certainly sounds like it could have been a Red Admiral Goldie :D Great that you’re still seeing butterflies - I hoping things will continue here on Sunday, that is if Ciaran doesn’t finish them off :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well the storm was bad and I expected the worst being so near the sea, I think being in a bay helped to keep the worst of it a way, not sure why really.

Thanks for your posts David and Wurzel, I hope you both weathered the Storm, if there's any Butterflies left Wurzel after those winds I'd really feel surprised although the day before the Storm I did see another Small White in Tankerton :D

The Small Whites do surprise me David, I've come to the Conclusion they must be the hardiest Butterfly, they seem to be here form Spring to November , I've certainly had them in the garden this year , I've shots of them from April to October :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to hear that you got through it Goldie :D It looks like we got away with it here; very blowy, horrendous rain and some flooding but luckily pretty unscathed :D You never know with the butterflies - if they found a handy hole to hunker down in there might be one or two left, I don't think I'll pack my camera away quite yet :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:10 pmWell the storm was bad and I expected the worst being so near the sea...
So pleased you didn't suffer any damage, Goldie. Surprisingly, it wasn't too bad on the Gower (I think the worst of it was through the Channel).

It hasn't harmed the butterflies - I saw 27 today so they clearly managed to hunker down.

Keep your eye out for any more Whites. You look like you've got an additional brood there in the far south-east.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, we seem to be into it again today it's pouring with rain at present , hope fully it'll pass through quickly , David says he saw 27 Butterflies on Friday so I should get the Camera out like you just in case :D

That's great David, it just shows how tough the Butterflies are :D I'll be keeping the camera handy :D Goldie :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Goldie ,thats an excellent shot you,ve entered in the comp ..............the Marble on the Ox-eye Daisies .............Good luck with that one ! Allan.W.

Return to “Personal Diaries”