Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:50 pm I reckon we have at least 3 more weeks of high activity, before all we're left with are Red Admirals...
Pretty much at that stage here now David, a few Red Admirals are all I have seen for the past few days.
Wurzel wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:08 pm You did well with the higher shots Neil, I've ended up using this technique plenty of times and so long as the auto-focus does its thing then the shots usually come out okay. I reckon though that I might invest in an ultra-lightweight step ladder, one with a rucsac attachment :wink:
I have gone running to get my step ladder out of the garage a few times in the past in order to try to get a shot of something high up in my garden...usually just in time to see the subject fly off when I return :roll:

Monday 18th September.

Lots of rain about here over the past few days but the occasional brighter spell has brought one or two Red Admirals out, including this one that was hanging around the Ivy flowers in my garden.
Red Admiral - Coverdale 18.09.2023
Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"I have gone running to get my step ladder out of the garage a few times in the past in order to try to get a shot of something high up in my garden...usually just in time to see the subject fly off when I return :roll:" If only it was as easy as "Go, go, gadget legs! :wink: "
Lovely Red Admirals :D I sometimes wonder how they manage to stay so neat and tidy and other butterflies that frequent Bramble get ripped to pieces :? ?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Starting to get that look round here too, Neil, with Red Admirals hugely predominant and a supporting cast that is waning by the day. :(
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. I don't think the Red Admirals are spending much time on bramble at this time of year now, even the over-ripe blackberries are pretty much gone around here now. Most of those I have seen recently have been on Ivy flowers.

Thanks David. Just a few Red Admirals left around here now with the only supporting cast being a couple of well tired looking Speckled Wood seen over this past weekend.

This past couple days have been quite dull and drizzly and yesterday (Tuesday) there was a cold wind. It appears that we were stuck between low pressure to the north and high pressure further south.

Garden Moths - September.

Since my last garden moth update I have only run the trap 4 times, 3 of these during September, this being on the nights of the 6th the 8th and the 14th. This was mainly due to poor weather with either wind, rain or cold clear nights, all of which lead to poor results. I also saw quite a few comments online from people that were running their traps and getting very low numbers which put me off a bit.
Having said that, the night of 6th produced 237 moths of 26 species with 211 of 21 on the 8th but on both nights these included 130+ Large Yellow Underwings along with a couple of dozen Square-spot Rustics.

I continued to get a trickle of new species for the year with an obvious shift to the autumn species replacing those from late summer. These included Orange Swift, Centre-barred Sallow, Flounced Rustic, Black Rustic and Lunar Underwing, the latter turning up in the usual variety of colour forms.
Orange Swift - Coverdale 14.09.2023
Orange Swift - Coverdale 14.09.2023
Black Rustic - Coverdale 14.09.2023
Black Rustic - Coverdale 14.09.2023
Lunar Underwing revving up for take off - Coverdale 14.09.2023
Lunar Underwing revving up for take off - Coverdale 14.09.2023
There were also a couple of new ones for the garden with the night of 6th September producing a Brindled Green and an Orange Sallow.
Brindled Green - Coverdale 06.09.2023
Brindled Green - Coverdale 06.09.2023
Unfortunately the Orange Sallow was very worn but I had another one on the 14th which was in better condition apart from its forewings hadn’t fully developed.
Orange Sallow - Coverdale 14.09.2023
Orange Sallow - Coverdale 14.09.2023
The night of the 8th also produced a Cypress Pug, one of a number of species that are spreading over the country and have turned up for the first time here over the past few years. In the case of the Cypress Pug, it's spread has been assisted by taking advantage of ornamental cypress trees in parks and gardens.
Cypress Pug - Coverdale 08.09.2023
Cypress Pug - Coverdale 08.09.2023
There was then a gap of a couple of weeks before I ran the trap again on the night of October 1st. This produced more typical autumn species with Red-line Quaker, Brick and Satellite all turning up. The latter is one that overwinters as an adult and will sometimes come to light on mild winter nights with my first one this year turning up on 11th February.
Red-line Quaker - Coverdale 01.10.2023
Red-line Quaker - Coverdale 01.10.2023
Brick - Coverdale 01.10.2023
Brick - Coverdale 01.10.2023
Satellite - Coverdale 01.10.2023
Satellite - Coverdale 01.10.2023
The infamous Box-tree moth is turning up regularly here now although not yet in the plague type numbers that I am seeing reported from further south. I don’t have any box plants and am not aware of any in my neighbours gardens so for me it is an attractive addition to my garden list, although I have seen the devastation that the larvae can cause to box hedges elsewhere. Due to the family that it belongs to, this is classed as a micro moth depite it being the largest moth in the trap that night.
Box-tree Moth - Coverdale 01.10.2023
Box-tree Moth - Coverdale 01.10.2023
And finally, I have continued to put my Ni Moth pheromone lure out occasionally but since mid-August it has only attracted a couple of Silver Y Moths until Sunday night (Oct 1st) when I had another Dewick’s Plusia, my 8th here so far this year, along with another Silver Y.
Dewick's Plusia - Coverdale 01.10.2023
Dewick's Plusia - Coverdale 01.10.2023

The 6 week gap between this one and the last ones back in August would support the fact of it being locally emerged offspring of the earlier brood, especially since I have not seen much migrant activity here.

After a couple of clear and chilly looking nights, it looks to be warming up a bit again at the end of the week and into the weekend so the trap may well be out again, especially as with these darker mornings I don’t have to get up to it so early to beat the birds.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Saturday 7th October.

After some dull cloudy days last week, things started to brighten up here a bit yesterday (Friday) although it was still quite windy.
Today (Saturday) started off with some high level cloud but it was definitely warmer and by late morning a couple of male Speckled Wood were spiralling around each other down the bottom of the garden. When they separated one of them would fly over the fence into the neighbour’s garden but the other would have a fly around and then return to the same basking spot.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 07.10.2023
I also spotted a Red Admiral fly over, looking like it was heading somewhere on a mission.

After a bit of lunch I decided to have a wander down to my local spot by Wagon Lane. I soon had a couple of flypasts by Red Admirals and spotted one basking on some brambles.
Red Admiral - Wagon Lane 07.10.2023
I made my way along to a large flowering Ivy that usually attracts a few Red Admirals at this time of year and sure enough I spotted a couple there. Over the next 30 minutes or so I watched a number of Red Admirals coming and going with a maximum of half a dozen around it at the same time.
Flowering Ivy -  Wagon Lane 07.10.2023
Flowering Ivy - Wagon Lane 07.10.2023
Red Admirals -  Wagon Lane 07.10.2023
Red Admirals - Wagon Lane 07.10.2023
There was also a single Painted Lady, only my second one this year, but unfortunately it stayed up around the top of the Ivy and wouldn’t come any lower. I only managed a few long distance shots of which the one below is cropped somewhat.
Painted Lady -  Wagon Lane 07.10.2023
Painted Lady - Wagon Lane 07.10.2023
I checked out the areas where I had seen Small Coppers here earlier in the year but no luck today. This was more in hope than expectation as they only ever produce a third brood here in the best years…and this year has had it’s share of poor weather.

As I made my way back I had a flypast by a single Small White making it just three species for the afternoon, four for the day counting the Specklies in the garden earlier.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Painted Lady Neil, a nice autumnal bonus there :D
I had to stop looking at the Ivy bush shot as I was seeing all sorts of things hidden within plain sight in the structure of the bush :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you got a beautifully posed Speckled Wood, Neil. This last week or so they've been anything but co-operative for me, which is unusual.

The Red Admirals are all over the ivy right now, feeding up voraciously. Perhaps they know something we don't? :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. If I remember right, there were three Red Admirals on the Ivy when I took that shot but they were tucked into the bush at poor angles to be visible.

Thanks David. Yes, I think they knew what was coming, the past couple of days have been poor here, yesterday (Friday) in particular was lousy with heavy rain on and off for most of the day. It looks to be brighter over the weekend but temperature are set to plummet with a cold wind from the north-west. I reckon most of the Red Admirals will have scuttled off to the south and I can't say I blame them.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Garden Moths - October & November.

I haven’t seen a butterfly since mid-October, the last ones being a couple of well faded male Speckled Wood in my garden.

There are still a few moths around but to be honest I have not run my trap much recently, a combination of poor overnight conditions and me being clobbered by a bout of covid a couple of weeks back meant that there was a gap of over a month between my last running the trap on the night of 8th October and then again last night (23rd November).
The night of 8th October produced 26 moths of 11 species, the best of which were a couple of nice fresh Red-green Carpets and a NFY Blair’s Shoulder-knot.
Red-green Carpet - Coverdale 08.10.2023
Blair's Shoulder-knot - Coverdale 08.10.2023
Blair's Shoulder-knot - Coverdale 08.10.2023
With the weather forecast to turn much colder over the next few days I decided to run it again last night. A breezy and wet night produced just 2 moths, appropriately enough NFYs of December Moth and Winter Moth.
December Moth - Coverdale 23.11.2023
December Moth - Coverdale 23.11.2023
Winter Moth - Coverdale 23.11.2023
Winter Moth - Coverdale 23.11.2023
It did indeed get colder as the day went on today and it looks like we will be having some proper frosts for the next few mornings. Only to be expected at this time of year I suppose.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hope you're over the Co-vid now Neil - it seems to be doing the rounds again but no-one's taking it as seriously as before :?
That December Moth is a cracker 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, all good now :)

Yes, there seems to be another surge of covid cases along with various other lurgies and sniffles more typical of this time of year.

Some very frosty mornings here lately apart from a couple of days at the beginning of the week when it was wet and gloomy.

I managed to catch this fox making the most of a sunny spot in the garden a few days ago.
Fox - Coverdale 01.12.2023
Fox - Coverdale 01.12.2023
Other than that, numbers of birds are increasing in the garden as they usually do at this time of year as they come seaching for food in the cold weather. Species visiting most days include House Sparrow, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Blue-tit, Great-tit, Coal-tit, Long-tailed Tit, Blackbird, Magpie, Jay and Wood Pidgeon. The Sparrows in particular have increased greatly in number over the past couple of years, on the one hand this is good to see, but on the other their boisterous behaviour as they descend on the feeders in gangs tends to keep the more timid species (Greenfinch, Bullfinch) away.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

With the year rapidly approaching it's end I thought it was about time I began to look back at my season.

As always my comments are based on what I saw around my local patch plus a number of trips further afield and also a bit of what I saw being reported from other areas. Other peoples experiences may well differ somewhat from mine.

Looking back at 2023 – part 1 Spring.

After a fairly ‘normal’ winter around here, I saw my first butterfly of the year on February 3rd when I had a flypast from a Peacock that had either been disturbed or was woken up by a particularly pleasant few hours of sunshine. This unusually early (for me) sighting was followed by a gap of a couple of weeks before I saw another butterfly, this being a Comma on February 17th and then a Small Tortoiseshell on 20th, both at my local spot by Wagon Lane. This gave me three species by the end of February, something that was previously unheard of for around here, my previous occasional February sightings consisting of a single species, usually Small Tortoiseshell.
These early sightings proved to be a false start however as the next few weeks returned to more normal conditions of cloud and rain and I didn’t see another butterfly until 25th March when a walk down to Wagon Lane produced a couple of Small Tortoiseshells. This is far more in line with my usual experience around here where my first sightings are usually sometime in the second half of March.
It was still a slow start however and we were into April before things really began to get going with 3rd providing a tally of 8 Small Tortoiseshells and 7 Commas. Numbers of both these species gradually built up throughout the rest of the month with Peacocks joining them from 4th April.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 03.04.2023
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 03.04.2023
Peacock - Wagon Lane 04.07.2023
Peacock - Wagon Lane 04.07.2023
Comma - Wagon Lane - 07.04.2023
Comma - Wagon Lane - 07.04.2023
My first whites of the year appeared in the first week of April with Green-veined White on 4th and Small White on 7th along with the first Brimstone.
Small White - Wagon Lane 07.04.2023
Small White - Wagon Lane 07.04.2023
My first Orange-tip of the year showed up on 8th but it was another week before I saw another one. These seemed to be particularly slow to get going around here and it was towards the end of the Month before numbers picked up and even then they didn’t have a particularly good year around here.
Orange-tip - Coverdale 01.05.202
Orange-tip - Coverdale 01.05.202
My first Speckled Wood appeared on 18th April and was joined by my first Holly Blues on the same day.
Speckled Wood - Wagon Lane 18.04.2023
Speckled Wood - Wagon Lane 18.04.2023
Holly Blue - Wagon Lane 18.04.2023
Holly Blue - Wagon Lane 18.04.2023
I had been seeing reports that an influx of Red Admirals was occurring down south and I saw my first one of the year, in my garden, on 7th May, this being the earliest I have ever seen one around here. I have seen Red Admirals earlier than this before but these were always during trips much further south. I would still not consider Red Admiral a spring species around my patch but with increasing early sightings from other parts of the midlands it may not be too long before it becomes one here.

On 10th May we headed down south for a few days visiting our daughter in Emsworth and whilst there I took the opportunity to visit Stansted Forest (on 11th May) where Mark Tutton had kindly given me some locations for Pearl-bordered Fritillary. I saw half a dozen individuals of both sexes, all of which were looking quite fresh.
Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Stansted Forest also provided my first Painted Lady and Grizzled Skipper of the year with singles of both seen.
Painted Lady - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Painted Lady - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Grizzled Skipper - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Grizzled Skipper - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
I saw more Grizzled Skippers at Butser Hill/Rake Bottom on 12th May where I also added Duke of Burgundy, Dingy Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Brown Argus and Small Copper.
Duke of Burgundy - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Duke of Burgundy - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Green Hairstreak - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Green Hairstreak - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Dingy Skipper - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Dingy Skipper - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Brown Argus - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Brown Argus - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Small Copper - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Small Copper - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
These visits and one the following day (13th May) to Old Winchester Hill reinforced my impressions from back home that the season was running late as I had seen similar species in similar conditions in mid-April at both sites in 2022. I also saw a lot more Brimstones than I see back home along with more evidence of the Red Admiral influx.
Brimstone - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Brimstone - Butser Hill 12.05.2023
Red Admiral - Butser Hill 12.05.023
Red Admiral - Butser Hill 12.05.023
Back home things were ticking along but apart from Holly Blues nothing else seemed to be having a particularly good start to the season. Small Tortoiseshells were around in reasonable numbers (very good numbers compared to down south apparently) but my highest daily count of 18 was well down on what I have seen around here over the past few years. Comma numbers were quite good with up to a dozen seen on the best days but Peacocks were well down with 6 being my highest daily count and just 2 or 3 being more usual.
All of the Pierids were down in numbers compared to recent years and I hadn’t seen a definite Large White yet.

A run down to Bishops Hill on 23rd May produced my first Small Blues of the year which appeared to be doing quite well here although again they were running a bit late compared to recent years, as were the first Common Blues that I saw there.
Small Blue - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Small Blue - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Common Blue - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Common Blue - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
The following day I drove down to Prestbury Hill near Cheltenham, primarily to see Marsh Fritillary that have been showing here for the past few years. There is some dispute over the origin of these as some are saying that they have spread naturally from Strawberry Banks whereas others maintain that they are yet another unauthorised release.
Marsh Fritillary - Prestbury Hill 24.05.2023
Marsh Fritillary - Prestbury Hill 24.05.2023
This illustrates the problems that random releases cause as it they cast doubt on any genuine sightings that may be away from known locations. Either way, Prestbury Hill is well worth a visit and I have been here in the past for DoB, along with Small Blue, Green Hairstreak and Dingy Skipper as well as Common Blue, Brown Argus, Small Copper and Small Heath all possible at the same time, which was indeed the case during this visit.

A visit to my local spot by Castle Hills on 29th May produced my first local Common Blues, Brown Argus and Small Heath.
Small Heath - Castle Hills Solihull 29.05.2023
Small Heath - Castle Hills Solihull 29.05.2023
Overall, it had been a slow spring with a lot of cool cloudy weather holding things back. Conditions had improved somewhat towards the end of May but numbers of most species locally were down noticeably compared to the past few years. Holly Blue was the only species that I would confidently say had a good spring around here.

To be continued…

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I remember the false start to Spring Neil...I was all raring to go having gotten off the mark and then...nothing for what felt like an age :? Mind you the days are passing so fast at the moment it feels like the new season will be starting soon! :shock: :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice review, Neil, and some lovely images to support it.

It's also a timely reminder of what awaits us in just a few weeks time, when the earlier of the species depicted will be back again to brighten up our lives after a miserable winter period. :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel and David. Yes, not long now until the days begin to stretch out a bit and the nights start getting shorter.

Looking back at 2023 – part 2 Early to High Summer.

After a brief improvement in the weather for a few days at the end of May, the first week of June saw a return to lots of cloud with an almost constant chilly wind. In fact it still felt like spring rather than early summer, a fact reinforced by fresh looking Orange-tips still appearing.
Orange-tip - Coverdale 01.06.2023
Orange-tip - Coverdale 01.06.2023
The weather then did what it is doing more and more often over the past few years and went from one extreme to the other with a couple of days that were very warm.

On Sunday 11th June we set off for a few days in Norfolk and arrived at Strumpshaw Fen with my car display showing 30 degrees. It seems that Swallowtails were running quite late and rangers at Strumpshaw and Hickling Broad as well as other locals at these sites plus How Hill all reckoned that the main emergence was between two to three weeks late with numbers being down on usual. The only site we saw numbers into double figures was Hickling Broad which we visited a number of times as our B&B was only a few minutes away. Apart from those, I saw just two at Strumpshaw (which was apparently two more than many people) and a single one at How Hill.
Swallowtail - Hickling Broad 12.06.2023
Swallowtail - Hickling Broad 12.06.2023
No doubt due to the ‘June gap’ other butterflies in Norfolk were in short supply, apart from Red Admirals which turned up everywhere. The only other butterflies that we saw were some Brimstones, a few old and faded Peacocks still hanging on and a few Small Heath and Common Blues at Horsey Gap.

We returned home on 15th and then then had a few days of thunderstorms and heavy rain so I didn’t see another butterfly until 19th when I saw my first Ringlet plus a few Meadow Browns and a couple of Large Skippers at Wagon Lane.

By the third week of June, Ringlet and Meadow Brown numbers were building up locally and Small Skippers had joined the Large Skippers at my local sites.
Meadow Brown - Blythe Valley 19.06.2023
Meadow Brown - Blythe Valley 19.06.2023
Large Skipper - blythe Valley 22.06.2023
Large Skipper - blythe Valley 22.06.2023
Small Skipper - Blythe Valley 12.07.2023
Small Skipper - Blythe Valley 12.07.2023
The first local Marbled Whites also appeared with some nice fresh examples at Blythe Valley which has become my most reliable local site for these in recent years.
Marbled White - Blythe Valley 22.06.2023
Marbled White - Blythe Valley 22.06.2023
A trip down to Harbury Spoilbank in Warwickshire provided my only Dark Green Fritillaries of the year with around a dozen seen, down from the 20+ I saw there in 2022.
Dark Green Fritillary - Harbury 29.06.2023
Dark Green Fritillary - Harbury 29.06.2023
As the season progressed into July, the weather was still a mixture of lots of thick cloud, strong winds and heavy showers interspersed with some sunny spells.

A trip to Oversley Wood on 5th July produced my first Silver-Washed Fritillaries and Gatekeepers along with lots of Ringlets and Meadow Browns and (finally) my first confirmed Large White of the Year. For the first time I failed to see a White Admiral there although I heard that one or two were seen by others on that day.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Oversley Wood 05.07.2023
Silver-washed Fritillary - Oversley Wood 05.07.2023
Small White and Green Veined White numbers were slowly increasing and I was now seeing more of these summer brood than I had seen of either species in the spring.
Green-veined White - Wagon Lane 12.07.2023
Green-veined White - Wagon Lane 12.07.2023
Small Skippers were plentiful locally and had been joined by good numbers of Essex Skippers. Large Skipper numbers were still on the low side although they did eventually appear everywhere that I would expect them to.
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 06.07.2023
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 06.07.2023
By mid-July, summer Commas were appearing in good numbers although around my local patch the normal form seemed to be more numerous than hutchinsonis.
Comma -  Wagon Lane 06.07.2023
Comma - Wagon Lane 06.07.2023
Summer Small Tortoiseshells were also appearing although like in the spring, numbers were down on what they have been over the past few years. I could still easily see a dozen or more at a time but this is well down on the 30-40 I could regularly see a couple of years back.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 12.07.2023
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 12.07.2023
Red Admirals were having a good year locally although I was still not seeing the large numbers reported from further south, or indeed at some other spots around the midlands, particularly closer to the Severn and Avon river valleys.

Gatekeepers were having a good year, so much so that I would say that these were a good candidate for butterfly of the year around here.
Gatekeepers - Blythe Valley 12.07.2023
Gatekeepers - Blythe Valley 12.07.2023
On the other hand, Speckled Wood numbers were average at best and Meadow Browns did not seem as numerous as usual.

By the end of July both Small Coppers and Brown Argus seemed to be having one of their better years around here with both species appearing at a number of local sites in better numbers than I have seen for some time.
Small Copper - Blythe Valley 19.07.2023
Small Copper - Blythe Valley 19.07.2023
Brown Argus - Wagon Lane 25.07.2023
Brown Argus - Wagon Lane 25.07.2023
Common Blues were not so numerous however although numbers did appear to be recovering a bit from the past two poor years when both broods were hit by poor weather.
Common Blue - Langley Hall 26.07.2023
Common Blue - Langley Hall 26.07.2023
Summer Peacocks had been strangely absent so far and we were well into August before any appeared locally and even then numbers were not good, my highest count being approx. 20 at Blythe Valley on 8th August.
Peacock - Blythe Valley 08.08.2023
Peacock - Blythe Valley 08.08.2023
One notable species that I missed this year was Purple Emperor, mostly down to poor weather (cloudy and windy) when I was available to go looking. From reports that I saw they were hard work around the West Midlands this year with small numbers being reported from their usual locations. Apparently they did a bit better in the East Midlands although even at the Fermyn Wood complex numbers were well down from their high points a few years ago.

I will stop there and continue with August and the rest of the year in my next report.

To be continued…

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Some really lovely shots there Neill, :mrgreen: I really like the ones of the Orange Tip and the Swallow Tail :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie :D

Looking back at 2023 – part 3 Late Summer and Autumn.

The first part of August continued the theme of mixed weather with lots of cloud and a persistent cool wind interspersed with some sunny spells on most days.

A trip over to Grafton Wood in Worcestershire on the 10th August produced very good numbers of second brood Wood Whites which are doing well there after a re-introduction project by West Midlands BC a few years back.
Wood White - Grafton Wood 10.08.2023
Wood White - Grafton Wood 10.08.2023
I was also amazed by the numbers of Brimstones seen at Grafton, more than I have ever seen before at one place, there must have been hundreds feeding up on the plentiful wildflowers along the sides of the tracks.
Brimstone - Grafton Wood 10.08.2023
Brimstone - Grafton Wood 10.08.2023
I also got my only low down Purple Hairstreak shots this year as I saw a couple feeding on a patch of angelica at the end of the main ride.
Purple Hairstreak - Grafton Wood 10.08.2023
Purple Hairstreak - Grafton Wood 10.08.2023
My first Brown Hairstreak of the year was also seen briefly in this area but only settled long enough for a brief record shot. Other butterrlies seen at Grafton included a few aged Silver-washed Fritillaries plus a few each of Common Bue, Brown Argus and Small Copper.
Small Copper - Grafton Wood 10.08.2023
Small Copper - Grafton Wood 10.08.2023
Small Coppers and Brown Argus were still showing up regularly at my local spot by Wagon Lane along with a few Common Blues but the Skippers and Meadow Browns had disappeared by mid-August, probably finished off by some thunderstorms and heavy rain that we had around then. There were still a few Gatekeepers around but these were mostly females looking well past their best now.
Common Blue female - Wagon Lane 13.08.2023
Common Blue female - Wagon Lane 13.08.2023
On 19th August I went to the Warwickshire BC open day at Ryton Wood Meadows to catch up on some gossip and hopefully see some Brown Hairstreaks which have been responding well here to the blackthorn management that has been carried out there for the past few years. A cool and cloudy morning eventually gave way to some sunny spells in the afternoon and half a dozen or so Brown Hairstreaks were seen around the site along with other typical late summer species.
Brown Hairstreak - Ryton Meadows - 19.08.2023
Brown Hairstreak - Ryton Meadows - 19.08.2023
Apparently, Brown Hairstreaks were having a very good year south of London but around the midlands they seemed to be having a more average season and I don’t recall seeing any more than half a dozen at most being reported from any midland site at any one time.

On 27th August we headed south again for another few days visiting our daughter in Emsworth. This of course gave me the chance to visit Old Winchester Hill a couple of times and catch up with Chalk Hill Blues, second brood Adonis Blues and Silver-spotted skippers.
The Chalk Hill Blues were all over the hill side and had been out a while, most of them looking tired and faded although there were still a few nice ones about.
Chalk Hill Blue - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Chalk Hill Blue - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
The Adonis Blues were not so numerous but still in good numbers and as they had not been flying so long many more of them were in good condition,
Adonis Blue - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Adonis Blue - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
I had been seeing comments that Silver-spotted Skippers did not seem to be having a good season anywhere and this held true for OWH with no more than a dozen seen, in all sorts of condition from well-worn to almost fresh.
Silver-spotted Skipper - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Silver-spotted Skipper - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Other butterflies seen at OWH included Meadow Browns still in good numbers with some looking quite fresh along with a few Gatekeepers and Common Blues and a couple of Brown Argus. The overall numbers of all species flying over the hillside really brought home to me how poor my local area is, both in species and total numbers, as I never see anything like this back home.

Holly Blues seemed to be having a very good second brood down there with loads seen at a number of spots, especially RSPB Pagham Marshes and around Thorny Island.
Holly Blue - Thorny Island 30.08.2023
Holly Blue - Thorny Island 30.08.2023
Red Admirals were fairly numerous and turned up everywhere although I had a few comments along the lines of “you should have been here the other week, there were hundreds of them”. On the other hand I failed to see a Clouded Yellow or a Painted Lady down there.

Back home, into September, things were beginning to wind down but you could still find Red Admirals, a few Commas and Speckled Woods at my local spots. A few Small Coppers and Common Blues were still around but all looking tired and worn now.
Comma - Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Comma - Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Small Whites were quite numerous although Green-veined Whites had finished.
Small White -  Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Small White - Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Things continued to wind down through the rest of the month with just Red Admirals and Speckled Woods still being seen into October. My last Red Admirals around here (at Wagon Lane) were seen on 7th October along with a single Painted Lady which was just my second one of these seen all year.
Speckled Woods carried on for another week or so with a couple of faded males in my garden on 15 October being my last butterflies of the year. This is quite normal for around here, in fact they hung on a couple of weeks longer this year than they did in 2022.

So then, apart from a few notable exceptions, a pretty uninspiring year on the whole for me, particularly around my local patch with my highlights all being provided by trips further afield, either the longer ones consisting of a few days in Norfolk and a couple of times to visit our daughter down south. My Shorter trips were either further afield around Warwickshire (Bishops Hill, Harbury Spoilbank, Oversley Wood, Ryton Meadows) or out of county to Gloucestershire (Prestbury Hill) or Worcestershire (Grafton Wood).

To be honest my opportunities to get out through the summer were either limited by family commitments or by the weather which was often cool, cloudy and especially windy so my comments may will be influenced by observer bias.

My final tally was 38 species which was not bad considering I did not get out as much as usual and is only a couple down on my average for the past few years. I have long since passed the stage of worrying about missing species and if I do it only gives me something to aim for next year.

With Christmas now fast approaching and lots to do, I am not sure how often I will be logging on over the next few days so I will take this opportunity to wish everyone on UK Butterflies a…

Merry Christmas
and a
Happy New Year

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic collection of reports and shots Neil :D Of particular note; the Swallowtail, Small Copper (District Commissioner?), Silver-Spotted Skipper and that Chalkhill - even more stand out than the Adonis :shock: 8) :D

Have a goodun - Christmas and New Year that is! :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

An excellent retrospective, Neil, supported by some lovely images.

Good to hear that the Wood Whites locally seem to be doing well.

Let me wish you all the best for the festive period and a wonderful New Year.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel and David. Hope you both had a great Christms and New Year.

David, I do not really consider the Wood Whites 'local' although it is great to see that they are doing well. To me, local means around Solihull at sites where I can spend an hour or two at most. Grafton Wood is typical of a number of sites around the midlands that involve a trip of an hour or more and where I need a minimum of half a day to visit and so I count these as trips further afield.

Garden Moths – 2023.

On the whole, my 2023 garden moth season here in my Solihull garden followed a broadly similar pattern to that of the local butterflies although there were some differences due to the weather conditions. Cloudy days would often clear during the evenings to leave cold nights and when the cloud did persist we would often have blustery winds. As to be expected, conditions were often worse during the spring and autumn and better during the summer but even then lots of clear nights or strong winds led to me running the trap on a total of just 40 nights throughout the year.
Nevertheless, my final tally of 235 species (made up of 142 macros and 93 micros) was roughly in line with most of the previous years here, give or take a dozen or so species.
This year I had 22 new species for the garden, made up of 12 new macros and 10 new micros.
A few favourite NFGs below;
Frosted Green - Coverdale 09.04.2023
Frosted Green - Coverdale 09.04.2023
Poplar Kitten - Coverdale 04.05.2023
Poplar Kitten - Coverdale 04.05.2023
Common Lutestring - Coverdale 24.06.2023
Common Lutestring - Coverdale 24.06.2023
Minor Shoulder-knot - Coverdale 30.06.2023
Minor Shoulder-knot - Coverdale 30.06.2023
Tissue - Coverdale 23.8.2023
Tissue - Coverdale 23.8.2023
Most of these were as single examples with a notable exception being Dewicks Plusia. I ended up with 8 of these in two distinct groups (all to the Ni Moth pheromone lure), in June and then in August, which leads me to believe that they were breeding somewhere close by.
Dewicks Plusia - Coverdale 03.08.2023
Dewicks Plusia - Coverdale 03.08.2023
After my first Tree-lichen Beauty here on 26th July, I also had 3 more a few days later which, with a few more being reported from not far away, added to the evidence that they are also breeding around here now.
Tree-lichen Beauty - Coverdale 10.08.2023
Tree-lichen Beauty - Coverdale 10.08.2023
Both of the above species were considered rare migrants until a few years ago but have since become resident, initially in the south-east but like a number of other species are now spreading rapidly across the country.

Another previous rare migrant that is spreading rapidly northward is the Toadflax Brocade, of which I had another one this year, my third here now after I had the first for the Solihull area in 2020.
Toadflax Brocade - Coverdale 03.08.2023
Toadflax Brocade - Coverdale 03.08.2023
Also notable was the fact that I had six Lime Hawk-moths this year as I only usually see one or two of these a year, if at all.
Lime Hawk-moth Coverdale 19.06.2023
Lime Hawk-moth Coverdale 19.06.2023
On the other hand a notable absentee this year was Poplar Hawk-moth which I found surprising, especially as these are usually my most numerous Hawk Moth and their flight period is similar to that of the Lime Hawk so it couldn’t be just down to not running the trap as often.

Given that my totals were broadly in line with previous years this will show that there were a number of species that I didn’t see this year, some of which were no doubt down to my low trapping frequency, especially in the spring and autumn. All part of moth trapping I suppose.

This brings my garden total up to 384 species (240 macros and 144 micros) since I started running the trap here in 2016.

We have a period of cold weather coming up for the next week or so but as my first moth of 2023 was on February 2nd (A Pale Brindled Beauty), I will be keeping an eye on the forecasts for any possible windows in the weather when (if) it warms up a bit after that.

Here’s looking forward to a good 2024 season for both Butterflies and Moths and to hoping that everyone gets to see what they wish for.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”