Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Happy New Year! I've finally made it into 2024 :oops:

Middle Street 15-02-2024

I needed to sort out a service for my car but the weather was surprisingly mild and the blue sky was revealing itself to my eyes tired from seeing wall to wall grey. So instead of driving to the garage or spending hours stuck on hold I decided to walk over to the garage and make the arrangements in person…I could also walk the long way round and take in Middle Street…

The walk across meadows along the town path was pretty uneventful even though I stopped at all the places I’ve seen butterflies before. In fact I was walking along Middle Street itself before I spotted my first butterfly. I always check out the facades of the houses that line the road as they catch the sun perfectly and so offer up much needed early spring warmth and there sunning itself was a Peacock. Unfortunately I could only manage a couple of record shots from the end of the drive as I didn’t want to get done for trespass, well not this early in the season anyway. However a little further on I spotted my second butterfly. This time it was a Red Admiral which was sitting on a window sill of a porch. It was a fair bit closer than the Peacock and so I leant in a got some still distant but a lot closer shots. I then chanced my arm a bit more and walked round the drive and rang the doorbell to ask permission from the owner. While I waited I grabbed a few more shots and when they answered the door they seemed delighted to allow me as they’d purposefully planted the garden out to attract butterflies and other insects. So I got some nice shots and permission to wander in should I be passing by in future.
15-02-2024 1.JPG
15-02-2024 2.JPG
15-02-2024 3.JPG
15-02-2024 4.JPG
In the space of 10 minutes I’d doubled my species and tripled my total count for the year and I had a feeling that there was more to come. It felt like the butterflies had just been waiting at the start, engines humming in anticipation of the first proper spell of sun which would act like the green light and then “Go”! As I worked down the narrow path at the side of the reserve which in a few weeks will be impassable I spotted a fast moving slice of lemon playing in the sun near the old wood pile. As I drew near it settled and so I was able to get shots of my first Brimstone and it was actually recognisable and not just a yellow blur. It moved off and then plonked down at the top of the Bramble where it sat proud and without any clutter obstructing my shot.
15-02-2024 5.JPG
15-02-2024 6.JPG
I then set off to examine the rest of the site, first looking down into Dip 1 and then working along the central banked path whence I alternated my glance down into the football field and Dips 2 and 3. Two more Brimstones passed by in the distance and then by the end I was treated to four Brimstones all flying within my field of view. I’ve often marvelled at how the sight of a butterfly in early spring lifts the mood, well now it felt like I was tip-toing on air. It was a marvellous feeling, all the stresses and blues of the winter months dissipated and were carried away on the breeze. At the end I turned back around and retraced my footsteps along the banked path and then continued along it to the end and then round to the old Hotspot. A brace of Brimstones flitted this way and that across the small flat bit of land but unfortunately the route down to the dried pond was impenetrable. Somewhat despondently I mooched about and had a look at the Snowdrops. Then I spotted a Small Tort nectaring on a Celandine and all glum thoughts were once again dispelled.
15-02-2024 7.JPG
15-02-2024 8.JPG
Things had gone much better than expected but I needed to get the car service sorted and so to that end I set off again along the Bank path. However my responsible frame of mind lasted only as far as Dip 1 before I spotted a Brimstone and so of course I had to climb down and try for a few shots. It also sat still while I clicked away and unusually for this species I actually walked away and it remained in place. As I set off again a Peacock went up and flew a short distance before flopping down onto the deck long enough for me to realise what it was and grab a few shots. Then it repeated this performance but I did better shot wise the second time as I knew what I was dealing with.
15-02-2024 9.JPG
15-02-2024 10.JPG
15-02-2024 11.JPG
I continued on with more Brimstones here and there but alas the corner of Upper and Middle Street didn’t bear any fruit and after a pleasant walk through the woods, across the river and then across the meadows I was soon in the garage talking dates and parts. Still what a cracking start to the season!
15-02-2024 12.JPG
Off to Middle Street
Just into February
But start with a bang!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

That's a great haul for February, and variety too.
Good to see you enter 2024. Spring species are doing well around here.
Hope it will be the same in Wilts, though nothing at the weekend due to weather.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor 8) It's been hard going since then what with a constant cycle of low pressure systems blowing in and the vastly inaccurate weather forecasts :roll: But I've managed to bag a few more species and I'm hoping to be in double figures after the weekend - fingers crossed the forecasters haven't muffed it up again :? :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 09-03-2024

At this time of year you take your chances and as there was definitely a little more in the way of sun I wolfed my lunch down, grabbed my camera and made my way over to Middle Street. As is usual for the time of year the sun started to peter out as I drew near to the entrance of the reserve and then once on site officially it snuggled back into the soft down of the cloud and disappeared from view leaving me struggling onwards in limpid light. With the lower light levels the temperature noticeably dropped and with it insect activity. I kept going though, figuring that the more work I put in the greater the rewards…eventually. So I wandered from the corner to the hotspot and then along the bank path with quick sorties down and through Dips 1 and 2. When I reached the far end I turned round and retraced my steps as far as the start of the bank path before deviating and following the track along the river. What I got for all of this effort was precisely nothing in the way of butterflies, nada mariposas, nowt buttie-wise, keine Schmetterlinge although the old bit of roof felt housed a hideaway Bank Vole.
09-03-2024 1.JPG
09-03-2024 2.JPG
I almost gave up and made for home then and there with the intention of relegating the days’ activities into ‘Saved for a rainy day’ folder but I felt a slight warmth on my cheek as the sun started to wake up again and so I plumbed for making another pass. I reached Dip 2 with exactly the same butterfly count and so peered down into Dip where my eyes fell upon wee ginger beastie. Shocked at its sudden appearance a moment or two passed before instinct kicked in and I carefully set to stalking. I managed to get a few shots off before the sun caught me out. Whilst I’d been intent on my quarry it had crept out a little bit more and was now sufficiently bright enough to cast a shadow which spooked the Comma. It didn’t fly far, just had a quick check of its territory really before it settled down again and I was able to approach it once more. As I clicked away the sky darkened once more but I was oblivious.
09-03-2024 3.JPG
09-03-2024 4.JPG
Chuffed I climbed back out of the Dip and strolled the remains of the Bank path and then back. It had certainly put a spring in my step as I did this section of the circuit within 6 minutes and then I was back down in Dip 2 wondering if the Comma had stayed put in the gloom. It had but now it was offering the chance to photograph the almost purple-brown underside. Brilliant!
09-03-2024 5.JPG
09-03-2024 6.JPG
09-03-2024 7.JPG
Chuffed all over again I finally made my way homewards. Strange to think that one single butterfly can make such a difference to your mood…
A clouded Comma
Becalmed sitting in the Dip
Onto the year list

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see you are underway, Wurzel - back in mid-February in fact! Some great shots there, and as ever a :mrgreen: for the Small Tortoiseshell. :)

That last Comma is very close to being an o-album - the white mark is so nearly a closed circle.

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I'm still on the look out for a Brimstone ,Comma, Red Admiral etc ,etc, and OT"s hope fully tomorrow ,I'm stuck in today waiting for the Gas Man ( yearly check ) I wish he'd hurry up :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It is so close to being an 'o album' that I'm wondering if it is 'n or p album'? :wink: It seemed that I got pretty much all the months butterflies from that one trip :shock:
Cheers Goldie :D Waiting for the Gas Man...I believe they can bend the rules of time and space and somehow even then they never arrive within the allotted time frame :shock: :lol: I hope you managed to find the butterflies that you were looking for :D

Middle Street 17-03-2024

As it was just shy of a month since my first visit to Middle Street I decided that today would be the day to go and see how things are progressing. As I walked over it was actually quite pleasant with the sun shining and feeling slightly stronger than I can previously recall. However almost as soon as I set foot on site it went in behind the clouds. This was starting to be a bit of a ‘thing’ now and as I started down the back path towards the wood pile at the corner I wondered if I’d be able to get my timing right as the season moved forwards? However as the onset of the gloom had only just begun there were still a couple of butterflies on the wing, caught out by the vagaries of the weather. The first was a Peacock which hurtled towards me and then disappeared off into the surrounding gardens and the second was a Brimstone which bombed past in the opposite direction leading me onwards deeper into the reserve. I made my cautiously around the quagmire (giggity) to the small field of the hotspot and then once at the centre stood back and surveyed :D

…finding nothing :( . In a sombre mood I ambled about a bit and then almost stood on a grounded Brimstone! After a few shots I left it in peace and then I noticed a tightness around my eyelids. My eyes are quite sensitive to light and I often need sunglasses on even the dullest of days and so my eyes preparing to squint meant that there was an almost imperceptible brightening. Sure enough the sun started to ease itself from the clutches of the cloud and suddenly a barren Hotspot held four species. The Brimstone took to the air first swiftly followed by a fleeting Small Tort. Just ahead of me a Peacock popped into existence but it proved to be a flighty one and I could only manage a couple of record shots before turning my attention to the Comma which was sitting and sunning itself on the corner of the path.
17-03-2024  1.JPG
17-03-2024  2.JPG
17-03-2024  3.JPG
Things continued bright although I could see several large clouds mustering in the distance and so I decided to make the most of it and quickly made for the Dips. Dip 1 seemed quiet at first but then I spotted a Comma at the waters’ edge and so climbed down and grabbed a few shots before it was fully solar charged. As I was in the Dip I wandered from one side to the other and spotted another twitchy Peacock. As it took to the air it unsettled a second Comma and a brace of Brimstones flew past along the strand of bushes at the rear of the Dip.
17-03-2024  4.JPG
17-03-2024  5.JPG
17-03-2024  6.JPG
17-03-2024  7.JPG
Pleased but wanting to see what else there was to offer so I climbed back out and worked along the Bank Path zigging and zagging across the length so that I could both sides of the bank as well as Dips 2 and 3. The later were both empty and I didn’t encounter any more butterflies until I was almost at the End where another brace of Brimstones bimbled about whilst a Comma flew away from along the Bank Path following the sun which was being overpowered by the first of a wave of large ominous clouds. With the gloom returned I too decided to return back to the Hotspot but I worked along the lower path from the End back. As I walked I scanned hopefully along the length of the Banks and a few reddish looking leaves had me second guessing on a couple of occasions but then the flash of red/orange actually did become a Small Tort. I grabbed a few photos while it was grounded in the gloom and then I felt the return of warmth of the sun on my back and so I followed the now much more active butterfly along the Bank Path down into Dip 2. In here as well as the Small Tort a Peacock and a Comma sparred seemingly endlessly.
17-03-2024  8.JPG
17-03-2024  9.JPG
17-03-2024  10.JPG
As I eyed the sky I could see the respite from the cloud was going to be brief as a wall of grey encroached from the South smothering the surrounding hills in gloom. So I set off like a rabbit to check out the rest of the site before it descended. The river area was noisy from bird calls but there weren’t any butterflies until I was back at the Hotspot which held a Peacock, the Comma and three Brimstones flew from the field over into the impenetrable old pond. I could see that the cloud was almost upon us and so I scooted over to the Back Track where I was able to spy 2 Commas (possibly the pair from Dip1?). The first I managed a handful of shots of before the cloud rolled overhead. However the second sat, almost attempting to wait the cloud cover out. I took my shots and then sat back amid the nettles and waited and watched. It seems that Commas don’t have much patience as after only a minute or so it was off seeking somewhere safer to sit out the dull. And that as they say was that apart from an errant Small Tortoiseshell at the end of the street when I was almost home.
17-03-2024  11.JPG
17-03-2024  12.JPG
Middle Street again
Over the course of a month
Very little change…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Nice final comma shot - a different perspective and you can really see the hairs.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Ooooh Wurzel, go have a sit down, you're less than 4 weeks behind!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wow, 2024 butterflies posted already, Wurzel! :) Lovely Commas, too - and the Torties... :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

It's amazing what a few decent days can do, ( as above ).
Today we've had gales, horizontal lashing rain and hailstones, yet Saturday was perfect.

OH WELL !
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Katrina :D I had to lie almost flat to get that shot but it was worth it. Seeing those hairs made me understand how they can make it through the winter :D
Cheers Bugboy :D I know I'm starting to get nosebleeds from moving so fast and almost getting up to date :? :shock: :lol:
Cheers Dave :D It's not been an exactly vintage year for Small Torts this year but I think they're holding their own, fingers crossed for a spell of good weather :D
Cheers Trevor :D We had that as well Trevor for about an hour it was as if we were back in November :shock: Hopefully that was the last tantrum the weather will throw and things will settle down now :?

Work 21-03-2024

This was my second trip out with my camera during lunch. I had hoped that my season of dinner time forays would get off to a similar bang as my first overall trip of the year had but I’d only managed a single Small Tort. Therefore I was hoping for something a little better on this trip. It was a bit breezy and quite cool as I made my way through the estate and down towards the half-way point but a Brimstone brightened up the day as it visited various gardens en route. The first bit of the path was empty possibly a victim of its own success as the bordering bushes have grown outwards choking off various parts of the path and swallowing up the little alcoves and scallops where the butterflies used to nectar. As I drew level with the Parrots a Small Tort fed from a Dandelion and a Comma was a distant speck in one of the adjoining gardens. At the end a Peacock was sunning itself right in the middle of the path and as a woodpigeon passed over its shadow sent the butterfly off. I don’t think that I’ve known a year when the Peacocks have been as flighty as this?
21-03-2024 1.JPG
21-03-2024 2.JPG
I turned round and started to retrace my steps mulling over how things were going – none too shabby considering the year so far but not a patch on those vintage years when I first discovered my lunchtime route. It picked up a bit on the return and the Comma that had been a distant speck was still sitting off in the distance. As I wasn’t sure that it was going to move during my limited time I settled for a few, very distant record shots and then turned my attention to the Small Tort that had flown across the path and was now sitting just on the other side of the barbed wire fence in the neighbouring field. I poked my lens between the coils of wire and grabbed a few shots. As I was checking these back I spied the Comma which had ventured from the garden and strayed onto the path allowing much better access to it. While I was enjoying the Comma a brace of Brimstones bombed in from opposite ends of the path, met and then spiralled upward and upwards eventually splitting off from each other and either continuing on their route or retracing their wing flaps.
21-03-2024 3.JPG
21-03-2024 4.JPG
21-03-2024 5.JPG
From the Parrots the little section back held a courting pair of Small Torts in the smallest remaining scallop but they were too busy wooing and being annoyed by being wooed to hang around for a few photos. Instead the next subject for a set of shots I stumbled, in fact almost trod on; a lovely female Small Tort sunning itself flat as a pancake on the tarmac of the footpath. A cracking way to end a lunchtime foray.
21-03-2024 6.JPG
Out for a quick walk
And they are finally off!
Lunchtime butterflies

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Out and about…30-03-2024

Finally the day arrived! I’d been looking forward it since it first showed up on the BBC weather app 14 days previously. Unbelievably the forecast had remained remarkably consistent…oh hang on a minute scrap that I’ve got mixed up. This was the day when it was supposed to be grey, cold and windy, the Sunday was forecast as beautiful and the best day of the year so far. However in the words of Gene Wilder; “Strike that…reverse it!”…
Instead of wall to wall grey and a feeling of impending doom from more rain and dullness when I pulled the curtains the sky behind was blue and the light streamed through the window. After the usual early morning trawl of the shops in town I decided that hence forth wherever I went my camera would go too and so first it was off to Waitrose. I took the slightly longer and quieter route down through the housing estate which runs parallel with the railway tracks. At the far end there is a little play park and on the opposite side of the path a little square of grass, no bigger than a couple of metres square, but sheltered on three sides (two by hedge, one by the houses themselves) and with plenty of Coltsfoot and Dandelions growing through the sparse turf. I slowed down as I approached it and sure enough there was a Brimstone taking nectar. It was in a bit of an awkward position with a few twigs in the way but with some careful lens placement I managed a few reasonably unobstructed shots. It was joined by a second but in the cool of the early morning they barely managed a few cross words and were in no shape for an upwardly spiralling tussle so I was able to get in a few shots of the second one as well. A brilliant start for the day!
30-03-2024 1.JPG
30-03-2024 2.JPG
After the food shopping was stashed away and the free coffee consumed my next task was to accompany L to town so that she could meet her German pen-pal for the first time. Once they’d safely met I escorted them into the Cathedral and while they looked around inside I nipped across to one of the small fields in the Close. A Brimstone flew past and led me away from the Cathedral and on into the small field via a small gateway at the far end. Once inside I scanned up the hedge from the other side. In the distance I could make out a couple of Brimstones in the distance as little yellow blobs but closer too there was the unmistakable feeling of being watched – it was a Peacock sitting down on the grass. It was much better behaved than most of its ilk as generally they’ve been very flighty so far.
30-03-2024 3.JPG
30-03-2024 4.JPG
30-03-2024 5.JPG
30-03-2024 6.JPG
30-03-2024 7.JPG
After more than a few shots it took to the air and I couldn’t fathom out why? As I looked around for it in the hope of finding it grounded again I chanced to look up and the reason for its departure became clear, it was slugging it out with a second Peacock. They seemed to settle their dispute and I watched out for the rough spots where they landed I saw one come down pretty close to where I’d been kneeling and clicking away before so I took a wide circular path round to the second. I only managed a handful of shots of it before it went off seeking out its rival for round 2. I started back towards the Cathedral and was considering getting waylaid by the Brimstones when my phone rang. L and her friend had finished so could I get them into Monpesson house? We strolled over and there was another ‘Schmetterling’, a Peacock, in one of the neighbouring gardens and then I left the girls too it and raced home to pick up the car for the short drive over to Five Rivers...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Out and about…30-03-2024 Part 2

From the car park (Five Rivers) I strolled quickly across towards Comma Corner half expecting the sun to disappear as I arrived there. Strangely it didn’t which kinda freaked me out a little bit! Instead there was a Peacock sitting in the sun and it was one of the twitchy ones, gone almost as soon as I pointed my lens in its general direction. I strolled down the bank to Specklie Intersection which was occupied by a second Peacock and a Comma. As I debated about whether to try for the Peacock once I’d got a few Comma shots my attention was drawn to a much smaller, brown butterfly that had just appeared several nettles away from the Comma. It was my first Specklie of the year. The decision between the Peacock and the Comma now became moot and so I started filling up my memory card with the first of the Satyridae.
30-03-2024 8.JPG
30-03-2024 9.JPG
30-03-2024 10.JPG
30-03-2024 11.JPG
Chuffed I set off along the Banks following in the footsteps that I’d used before, at some points even placing my boot in a made to measure spot. The more overgrown first part which has an almost ‘woodland’ like feel held a couple of Peacocks and a Comma. As I moved through the treeline and then ventured out onto the more open, closer cropped ‘mid Bank’ there was another Peacock and a Small Tortoiseshell which proved a little problematic to photograph as it was ‘shivering’ to get its flight muscles warmed up possibly? When I reached the end it was more of the same (it feels great typing that statement finally!) with a Peacock and two different Small Torts all vying for the best basking spot on the muddy path. I’d try for a shot of one and then another would take this as its cue to bundle in and try and usurp the holder of the coveted spot. I’m not quite sure why as they seldom returned to the same spot and it made me wonder if they were just doing it out of spite? After a while I rounded the corner and strode down the hill and onto the final stretch of path towards the end of the reserve. As I walked I spotted yet another Peacock and a fly-by Brimstone and once at the very end I was treated to a pair of Treecreepers.
30-03-2024 12.JPG
30-03-2024 13.JPG
30-03-2024 14.JPG
I now had another decision to make; carry on round following the roughly circular path or retrace my footsteps. I opted for the later reasoning that the habitat was better that way, I’d be able to confirm numbers and also hopefully reacquaint myself with the Specklie and so decision made I set off. I did seem to see the same butterflies in roughly the same places apart from the fast moving Brimstones which covered vast distances around the reserve. There were one or two newbies added into the mix, two of which were Small Torts easily recognisable as ‘different’ by their wing damage and very quickly I was back at Specklie Intersection looking for the Specklie which as it happened wasn’t there although the/a Comma and Peacock were. I settled down and wrote up my notes surreptitiously keeping an eye on the butterflies. They didn’t move and so I watched for another couple of minutes. In the end 5 minutes or more had passed with the butterflies totally motionless and then suddenly the Comma went for the Peacock driving it off. Why I can’t work out as it was such an out of the blue attack?
30-03-2024 15.JPG
30-03-2024 16.JPG
30-03-2024 17.JPG
30-03-2024 18.JPG
I pressed on, my feet starting to bemoan the effects of such an epic day. They got a break as half way up the rise to Comma Corner the Specklie appeared and posed for a few photos giving my tired tootsies a brief break from stomping. At Comma Corner there was a brace of Commas naturally and then I took a quick turn around the Copse adding a few more Brimstones to the list. I ended up back at Specklie Intersection and so had the Specklie so I settled in for a few more shots. As I clicked away I realised there was one section of the site that had gotten very short shrift – The Glades, and so wishing the Specklie well I set off into the slightly cooler and shadier Glades.
30-03-2024 19.JPG
30-03-2024 20.JPG
30-03-2024 21.JPG
30-03-2024 22.JPG
30-03-2024 23.JPG
As I started working through the first butterfly that I came across was a bright orange Comma. I was convinced that I’d not seen this one before as I’d have easily remembered/recognised it and I had a feeling that, Brimstones aside, the butterflies that I found here I’d be seeing for the first time for the visit. Along the little trackways between the clumps of nettles and round small stands or single large mature trees I went looking all about for the tell-tale sight of a butterfly taking to the air. By the time I’d reached the car I’d added another Comma, two Brimstones and three Peacocks to the days burgeoning tally. The last butterfly, a Peacock, I thought of at the time as ‘blinded’. Not the ‘blind’ form/aberration lacking the eyes but blinded in that the large eyes on the forewings had been neatly snipped off. Brilliant but what’s next?
30-03-2024 24.JPG
30-03-2024 25.JPG
Seems the 'eye distractor' technique worked well here!
Seems the 'eye distractor' technique worked well here!
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Out and about…30-03-2024 Part 3

Even though I was footsore there was still somewhere I wanted to check out which was the only reason that I’d brought the car and so off to The Devenish I went. I normally like to visit this reserve slightly later in the season when the Orchids have started to bloom and the Skippers have arrived on the scene. In the early part of the season there isn’t an awful lot to see but as I wasn’t sure how long the reasonable weather was due to last I decided to make the most of it. I started out in the Paddocks hoping for a Comma or maybe a Red Admiral flying between the stands of Ivy but all I could see was a Brimstone off in the distance. Rather than bust my gut climbing over the various gates I instead followed the narrow path up the hill and out across the middle part of the Down. As I drew near to the stile at the other side suddenly it all kicked off. A Comma erupted from in front of me, it’s cryptic colouring far too effective and almost a liability were it not for the butterfly’s lightning reflexes. As it shot off it upset first one and then a second Peacock which flew round and about before solemnly attacking each other. The Comma came back and joined in the fracas whilst a passing Brimstone shot past trying to not become collateral. Eventually one of the Peacocks got tired and detached itself from the spiralling melee drifting down and landing a little in front of me. After a few shots I left it in relative peace (well the other two were still at and I didn’t know how long it would be before this one got dragged back into the scrap?). A quick check of the Orchid Meadow revealed only a distant Brimstone so I took that as my cue to pack it in for the day; ‘finish as you started’ and all that.
30-03-2024 27.JPG
30-03-2024 28.JPG
30-03-2024 29.JPG
30-03-2024 30.JPG
The respite of spring
With Peacocks everywhere
Bet it won’t last though…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 01-04-2024
The weather report for the two days previously had been wrong on both days, first wrong in a good way with a warm and sun-drenched Saturday and then wrong in a bad way as it was much colder and duller, almost a No-Sunday as it were. So today instead of checking the forecast I waited for it to warm up slightly, grabbed my shopping list and walked over to Waitrose…by way of Five Rivers.

I strolled along through the Glades and when I reached Specklie Intersection instead of starting to follow the trail I’d been blazing since the start of the season I kept instead to the lower path that follows the river. I followed it on as it rounded the corner at the end of the Banks and walked right up to the end where the reserve ends abruptly in footpath and then a small housing estate. On my left the area had been cleared a few years back and it looked promising so I slowed my gait and paid more attention to it as there was a slight break in the cloud cover and so it was illuminated as if under a spotlight. After only the briefest of scans it produced the goods with a Small Tort fluttering about amidst the sprouting shrubs and wild flower spikes.
01-04-2024 1.JPG
01-04-2024 2.JPG
01-04-2024 3.JPG
With an eye on the sky I reasoned that there would be some further breaks so I started back climbing up the bank to reach the end corner where the Banks ended (but from this direction started). Just before I needed to wade into the longer grass at the mid-section I somehow spotted a Comma hugging the hedge. I again glanced upwards to judge the state of play in terms of the lighting and I could see the coming slither of brightness so I manoeuvred myself in readiness after getting a few closed wing shots. When the sun came the butterfly opened up and I was there ready. When the sun went back in again I didn’t need to worry about spooking it as it seemed locked into place so I got a few closed wing shots too. I set off, once again trying to keep to the footsteps that I’d made on numerous previous visits and when I reached the break in the line of trees that runs at ninety degrees to the main hedge and stepped through I spotted a Specklie and spooked a Peacock. Which to watch/follow? I went with the Specklie as it was the newer addition to the year list but also because I’d had enough of being messed about by flighty, twitchy Peacocks.
01-04-2024 4.JPG
01-04-2024 5.JPG
01-04-2024 6.JPG
01-04-2024 7.JPG
01-04-2024 8.JPG
01-04-2024 9.JPG
01-04-2024 10.JPG
01-04-2024 11.JPG
Once I’d finished traversing the Banks I had a quick check of Comma Corner which turned into a slightly longer look as I had to wait for the sun to remerge. When it did sure enough a butterfly turned up, not the expected Comma but a Peacock. After the run around that this one gave me and their general attitude this year there is no way I’m changing the name of this spot of the reserve. After a quick once over the neighbouring bank I decided that it was time to head off and get the shopping done and so I wandered back though the Glades when a/another Specklie passed by. It arrested my motion for a while but then I got back on course only for one final interruption in the form of a Peacock which was sitting in the spot so favoured by the Red Admirals in the autumn. It had closed up and was down on the deck and if it hadn’t have given a quick flash to a retreating Hoverfly then I would have passed it by and been none the wiser to its presence. As it was I stopped to marvel at the inky blackness of the underside looking to all intents and purposes as a triangular lump of coal. With that final image resting nicely in my short-term memory I made for Waitrose and that all important free coffee!
01-04-2024 12.JPG
01-04-2024 13.JPG
Butterflies today?
Don’t trust the weather forecasts
Took a chance and went

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Glad to see that Five Rivers has come good for you, Wurzel :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Maximus :D Yep it's been hard work but I think it's starting to pay off now, one of my recent trips saw me notch up a double figure species count :D

Work 02-04-2024

It was the day after the Bank Holiday and so officially the start of the Easter break. This of course meant that I was in work offering a Revision session and further of course this meant that weather wise it was shaping up to be the best day of the week. So it came to pass that as I sat or stood in the dark cave that is my lab outside the sun shone brightly and everything else was filled with the joys of spring. With increasing trepidation I would occasionally glance out of the window to check the weather in preparation for a lunchtime foray. I noted that as the day progressed the sun was spending longer and longer behind the clouds and as lunch time drew near my feeling of pessimistic frustration only increased.

However cometh the hour cometh the sun and whilst the pupils all headed ‘down the Best One’ I walked, slightly shell shocked into what was an increasingly sunny vista. When I got to half way point a Brimstone shot past which I took to be a good omen. Sadly it wasn’t as all the usual nooks, crannies, scallops, clumps of flowers or basking spots could produce was a whole heap of nothing. Slightly downtrodden I started the walk back. I mean here was a break in the weather, here was the spring sun shining down and warming my back nicely, here was the bountiful blossom, nectar of the gods but there were no butterflies! As I was thinking this a Small Tortoiseshell hopped from one garden to another but it didn’t come any closer than to allow a very heavily cropped image from the furthest distance my lens can cope with. Some salve but only the slightest amount.
02-04-2024 1.JPG
Despondently I moped back towards work but in my funk my feet carried me straight on up the path rather than turning and walking along through the estate. I came out in the school car park before I realized where I was and then something happened that took this post from the realms of ‘bin’ to ‘deemed worthy of a write-up’. As I stared into the distance something caught my eye and unfortunately it took me so long to register that it disappeared from view over the fence into a neighbouring garden. I realized that it was a White and so I walked over to the scrap of round it had been fluttering about before it had done a Houdini and mooched about a bit. Luckily enough if returned and while it supped I clicked away both happy and surprised. Happy to have found something ‘new for the year’ on this disappointing day and surprised that rather than being the expected Small White, it was actually a small Large White.
02-04-2024 2.JPG
02-04-2024 4.JPG
Needless to say the afternoon passed by much more quickly and I didn’t even mind the heavy, squalling showers that rocked up later in the day. I was surprised yet again how one butterfly can make all the difference.

It’s spring time, no I’m still stuck here working,
Try to get out, but the weather goes bad,
So, taking a chance, I grab my camera and go out,
Get a nice surprise, a Large White

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Out and about again….08-04-2024

A quick walk on the previous day hadn’t produced any butterflies but a Grass Snake at Middle Street was a definite bonus. However today the weather was forecast to be reasonable first thing and up to lunch with a drastic deterioration come midday and so I grabbed my camera and made my way over to Five Rivers.
08-04-2024 1.JPG
08-04-2024 2.JPG
As I strolled through the Glades not much was showing so a let myself drift along the paths and up and round to the bank on the football pitch side of the Copse. I scanned across the dead wood and chippings hoping that they would provide a good bed for basking on and amid the greys and dull browns of the decaying pieces of wood a tiny tiger shone out; a Small Tort. Once I’d had a go at getting a few shots I carried on around the Copse and back round and down towards Specklie Intersection which sure enough housed a Specklie. Looking up I spotted a few more breaks in the cloud and so instead of taking off along the Banks I made my way back to the Glades hoping that the butterflies there had gotten out of bed. It seems that they had for as I drew near to a tree at the edge near the car park I spotted a blue flash…my first Holly Blue of the year. Unfortunately it was up way too high for my lens so I had to console myself with watching and then trying for shots of the Specklie or Peacock on the other side of the tree. Still a first for the year was a good find even if I couldn’t get a shot.
08-04-2024 3.JPG
08-04-2024 4.JPG
08-04-2024 5.JPG
08-04-2024 6.JPG
08-04-2024 7.JPG
I wandered back towards Specklie Intersection and as I rounded the corner a fast moving blur caught my eye. I couldn’t believe it but it was a Hummingbird Hawk Moth working its way at hyper speed from one nectar source to another. I made a few attempts at getting some shots before it moved on, disturbing the resident Specklie as it did so. After this exotic interlude I pressed on along the Banks finding more usual fare in the form of a Peacock. However just on from this something square cut and white took off. I managed to follow it even though it was very flighty and would only sit still for a few seconds at a time and so I was able to identify it as my first Green-veined White of the season. It proved really tricky to get anything decent shot wise as it was even more jittery than hair trigger Peacocks so I had to be happy with a sighting and ‘proof of sighting’ shots. When I continued along the Banks between the half-way point and the end I managed to add a passing Brimstone and a Small Tort to the days list but the forecast started to ring true with increasing levels of cloud billowing over the valley.
08-04-2024 8.JPG
Demon face!
Demon face!
08-04-2024 10.JPG
08-04-2024 11.JPG
On the walk back a Peacock blasted through the Glades but that was it and then I had a quick spot of lunch once I got back home. As I munched the light streamed through the window and I did my usual weather check of stepping out into the courtyard and looking up followed by looking out f the bathroom window over in the direction of Middle Street. The sun had remained and the forecast rain hadn’t materialized – the kind of error I don’t mind the Forecasters making – and so I grabbed my things and set off to Middle Street…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your Small Tort shots are a bit taunting :mrgreen: for someone always on the
lookout for them, but there are none to be found.
Well done ' freezing ' the Hummers, never easy.

Return to “Personal Diaries”