Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D If I can persuade my wife to make the journey then I'll be sure to use your tips :D I need to do some research as I've got 8-9 of the UK Species still to see... :? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

First up...

Happy Christmas and New Year!

Shipton Bellinger 23-08-2023

It had been a week since my last visit and after plenty of Brostreak filled visits I was starting to experience the law of diminishing returns. However despite this I’d plumbed for one more visit hopefully to catch up with a female egg laying…well that and I could call in a collect the cat from the cattery one the way home as well.

I parked at the back in the little car park and wandered through the small enclosure, eyes peeled and alert and ready. However despite a few Meadow Browns and Brimstones there wasn’t much else around so I continued onto the Nettle Bed. As I worked along the path that runs parallel to the road I checked all the usual haunts as well as seeking out the small whippings at the very edge of the track. Up ahead I spied a familiar figure, Nick from Leicestershire, and he was onto a female Brostreak. Sure that he’d gotten all that he wanted I set about getting a few shots of her while she basked out in the sun. Meanwhile we chatted on this and that and had our annual catch-up and the female Brostreak absorbed as much u.v. radiation as she could. She was in a very good state of repair for the time of year, fringes still present, not obvious nicks or tears, resplendent full tails and a nice even tone of brown on the topside, which she was showing off nicely. After a short while she fluttered a bit deeper into the vegetation possibly seeking some shade as the sun was shining strongly. As Nick and I continued our catch-up a Comma passed us, as did a Brimstone and a Holly Blue fluttered weakly by high up over head.
23-08-2023 1.JPG
23-08-2023 2.JPG
23-08-2023 3.JPG
23-08-2023 4.JPG
Eventually the Brostreak headed upwards to a perch too lofty for my lens and so Nick and I carried on perusing the pathways round the Nettle Bed. Unfortunately the hedge side was in shade whilst the Nettle Bed itself remained hushed and even the large Bramble was only able to muster a single Holly Blue. The hedges and bushes round the metalled road were quiet also and again there was only a Holly Blue to show for our troubles so we quickly started along the Main Hedge. Things picked up now and plenty of Brimstones appeared as well as a few Small Whites. Meadow Browns dove all about and a Peacock turned up as did the rarity of 2023, a Small Heath. When we reached the ‘usual’ spot for this season we spotted a male Brostreak up high before we finished with a bit of a flourish in the end part of the hedge with its little patch of Wild Parsnip. There were none down today but a Comma and a Brown Argus were and while we were watching these another male was found up high in the hedge and almost out of reach. He was very difficult to see but occasionally gave himself away as he turned to reveal his full silhouette. In the far corner where I’ve found Brostreaks for almost every season I’ve investigated the Main Hedge there was another Brostreak, a female this time, but she like those we’d seen before, remained up high. We bump into Gerrard at this juncture and after a brief chat we all head our own ways; Gerrard to check the Main Hedge, Nick to look at the top of the hill while I made for the thickets that flow down the gentler slopes of the hill before stopping abruptly because of the main track down to the village.
23-08-2023 5.JPG
23-08-2023 6.JPG
I worked my way through the various little thickets picking up a smattering of Brimstones and Meadow Browns as well as finding the odd Brown Argus and slightly scarcer Common Blue. I then turned my attention to the enclosed track that runs parallel to the main drag. The Blackthorn was just above head height on both sides and there were plenty of small whippings growing along the edges of the hedge on either side as well as trying to colonise the central ground. There were unsurprisingly a few Hedgies here and as I’m about to leave and make my way back out of the stifling still air and the main track I bump into some familiar faces. With three pairs of eggs it wasn’t long until a female was found, not by me, though I did manage to keep an eye on it when it fluttered from one likely looking egg laying spot to another. First it went up high and deep into the bushes – possibly to securely bask? Eventually it found somewhere it liked whilst skulking around the bottom of the hedge, it walked up the main stem and periodically arched its abdomen around. Some of this seemed to be ovi-posturing but there were one or two definite ovi-posits.
23-08-2023 7.JPG
23-08-2023 8.JPG
23-08-2023 9.JPG
23-08-2023 10.JPG
23-08-2023 11.JPG
This last encounter had the bittersweet feel of a final fling and left me feeling that this would be the last visit to Shipton of the 2023 season. To this end I eschewed the main track and instead made my way back up the hill along the field margin and towards the Wall lek. As I walked I was surprised by the number of Brown Argus in amongst the more even more numerous Meadow Browns and when I reached the top of the rise something caught my attention. The ground brown seemed darker, almost russet like and so I made my approach and discovered it to be a female Adonis. I bumped into Nick and then set off to examine the various little scallops on my way to the grasslands at the very end of the site. Common Blues, Brown Argus and Brimstones were the orders of the day far corner but I despite checking every likely looking bush I didn’t find a single Brostreak. I also turned my attention to the various patches and ‘clumps’ of flowers in the hope that a Cloudy would be feeding on them. Alas this didn’t materialise either and so I pressed on examining the far for the first time. The field gently slopes down, ensconced on three sides by a steeper, wooded rise. On the fourth side the down falls gently down to the village which is shielded from view by the network of avenues, hedges and thickets of Blackthorn. At the far end I watched a HBHM and a Red Admiral and catch up with a few of that rarity of the season; the Small Heath. After traipsing down and round the final field I started back up the rise adding a few blazing Adonis to the list as well as a few all sightings
23-08-2023 12.JPG
23-08-2023 13.JPG
23-08-2023 14.JPG
23-08-2023 15.JPG
23-08-2023 16.JPG
23-08-2023 17.JPG
23-08-2023 18.JPG
23-08-2023 19.JPG
I then took a final walk along the hedge and round to the Nettle Patch but nothing was showing and it was getting a little late in the day for the Brostreaks so I head back to the car stopping in the little enclosure on the way for a few Brimstones. I bump into Nick and then Gerrard before calling it a day. So my visits to Shipton ended on a bit of a whimper but overall the site had been pretty good to me this year…if only it had gotten me species number 50, the blessed Cloudy. I started thinking about this species on the drive over to the cattery/cat hotel to pick up Teddy and so deep in thought was I that I arrived a bit too early. Never one to pass the opportunity to try a new site I drove on past the cattery and visited a little site just off the Gomeldon road. The hill held a few Common Blues, a Brown Argus and several Meadow Browns whilst the damper spots nearer the river had a Green-veined White fluttering about and a similarly flighty Small Heath – might be worth an explore in the future…
23-08-2023 20.JPG
23-08-2023 21.JPG
The final visit
Shipton did me right this year
See you next season

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Devenish 25-08-2023

Having drawn a line under Brown Hairstreaks for another year I now turned my attentions to what was going to be the make or break species for my attempt at 50 species in a year; the Clouded Yellow. Unfortunately it wasn’t a ‘Clouded Yellow’ year and so reaching my target was in jeopardy…so I planned to visit various sites at which I seen Clouded Yellows before but first to the Devenish.

I started with a wander up the path, over the gate and I checked out the Paddocks. A Large White was clinging to the remaining purple flowers but played far too hard to get. I’d make it to within a few feet and just be raising my camera to my eyes when it would race off easily ascending the Down before descending again and plopping itself back down a short distance away. I tried a few times to get a photo of it but after a little bit I didn’t feel like playing its games any more so I left it to its own devices and made my way back over the assorted gates and on into the Orchid Meadow. As I looked across the low flower heads just peeking out among the straw coloured, longer grasses almost immediately I could see a Common and Adonis Blue. I tarried with the later for a bit before continuing on along the narrowest of tracks towards the quieter far end of the field. I followed a Brown Argus from the middle of the field all the way to the far end but there must have been something in the water as none of the butterflies were much for stopping today. I counted two more Brown Argus as well as noting a Small White and a Green-veined White with a bonus Hawker bombing over but nothing would sit still and allow me to approach. In the end I settled for a few grab shots of a Brown Argus, the initial one which had now moved back to the half way spot, before girding my loins for the climb up the Down.
25-08-2023 1.JPG
25-08-2023 2.JPG
25-08-2023 3.JPG
25-08-2023 4.JPG
I had just gotten up the momentum necessary to climb the Down in one hit, using the little track way to get a run up before the gradient increased when my progress was arrested by a Small Copper right at where the Down opens up as if looking from a 24” screen to panoramic. So I slowed to a stop, got my shots and then started the climb once more. Without the run up it was hard work and my calves started protesting at the half way point so I paused to take in a Common Blue and three Chalkhills. They were scattered along the Down, sticking to the lower half of the hill that was available to them. One was quite close to the path and so I leant in for a few shots. At the top I had a little mooch in the first scallop. The grass land held a Brown Argus and a very blue female Common Blue which refused to settle whilst the large Bramble patch was acting like a magnet for Whites and I counted 8 of them, a single Small and the remaining 7 were Green-veined. As I watched a brace of Specklies flew in which set the Whites reeling off in all directions – some over the hedge into the neighbouring field, some into the Beech woodland behind and one or two Green-veined White out into the grass of the scallop.
25-08-2023 5.JPG
25-08-2023 6.JPG
25-08-2023 7.JPG
25-08-2023 8.JPG
25-08-2023 9.JPG
25-08-2023 10.JPG
The Scallop on the other side of the hilltop had a Green-veined White all on its tod and so I picked my way down into the Gully where a Brown Argus greeted me and yet another Green-veined White sat nicely for me. I realised at this juncture that I’d complete my usual circuit but in reverse and so next was working back towards the steps along the steep sides of the Down. This meant that I was able to catch-up with some of the Chalkhills that I’d seen earlier but that hadn’t ventured close enough to the hillside path. They were in a playful mood, possibly looking at the state of them, as they were having a mid-life crisis, and they’d keep diving down the side of the down and then promptly disappearing low down into the grasses. Eventually one took things a little too far and ended up going to ground in a sparsely foliaged spot so I was able to pounce and click away. Chuckling I bumped into the Small Copper again back at the starting point of the circuit.
25-08-2023 11.JPG
25-08-2023 12.JPG
25-08-2023 13.JPG
25-08-2023 14.JPG
25-08-2023 15.JPG
From here I let gravity give me a helping hand and it carried me back down and into the Orchid Meadow. Having already checked the far end out I spent a little bit more time around the first part where I’d previously seen the Adonis male. I managed to find a couple of Blues; a Brown Argus and a Common, or rather they found me as the later was chasing the former. As they headed towards me at breakneck speed the Common Blue decided to use me as cover and as it passed me by on my left side it veered right and pottered off back the way it had come whilst the Brown Argus carried on flying determinedly towards the end of the field. After enjoying their antics I managed to relocate the Adonis Blue but almost as soon as I realised this it flew up and over the hedge that separates the Orchid Meadow from Middle Down so off I went up the down again; up the tunnel track, over the stile and through the little break to the side of the Down proper scanning left and right all the while. When I reached the rough spot where it had gone over the hedge I spotted a little azure jewel among the grass – I’d managed to relocate it so a case of third time lucky!
25-08-2023 16.JPG
25-08-2023 17.JPG
25-08-2023 18.JPG
25-08-2023 19.JPG
25-08-2023 20.JPG
As I was already on Middle Down I worked my along the bottom of the downside and made my way through numerous Meadow Browns back into the Paddocks where the Large White was still playing silly bu££ers and from there home. None too shabby a trip
Brostreaks behind me
Back to the summertime blues
To the Devenish!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Almost time to say good bye to 2023!
Calendar 2024.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy New Year!

Hopefully 2024 is a butterfly filled year for one and all!
01-2024.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Southbourne 03-09-2023

I’d been keeping an eye on various Social Networking sites as well as the sightings pages of various local branch websites and 2023 wasn’t turning into much of a ‘Cloudy’ year. I’d witnessed this first hand having not seen a single one despite checking the various regular hotspots at numerous sites. So I decided to bite the bullet and take the trip to Southbourne where a small breeding colony seems to be established. My hopes were high as the weather looked to be perfect and I’d even managed to find some free parking down one of the residential streets. From my abandoned car I walked straight through the car park and down to the beach and from here I wandered along the promenade staring to my right up at the cliffs. On the corner of the first line of beach huts I spotted my first butterfly, and even though it was just a White, I trotted up the steps, leant over into the rough grasses clinging to the side of the cliff and got a few shots. It always comes as a bit of a relief to get those first shots on the memory card.
03-09-2023 1.JPG
With my ‘eyes in’ I returned to walking along the prom. Stonechats would occasionally chastise me and gulls would ‘kee-aww’ above and there were plenty of whites; all keeping their distance. The Small Whites in particular proved troublesome as at a distance and in the bright, clear morning light they’d take on a yellowish hue. Having not seen any Cloudys since Corfu back in April, a couple of which were Helice, there were a number of instances when I’d watch a butterfly intently from afar only for it to land and open its wings up instantly revealing it to be just a Small White rather than a Helice. As I continued on I came across a few Whites that were flying closer to the beach along with a few Red Admirals – some of which seemed to be setting off for (even) sunnier climes. One of the Small Whites I found in a cluster of Whites in a little flowered flat spot had quite concave black spots and the black markings on the wing tips went almost down far enough for Southern Small White…almost but not quite far enough unfortunately.
03-09-2023 2.JPG
03-09-2023 3.JPG
The next big sighting was actually a Fox that wandered across the cliff about half way up. It sat for a moment seemingly staring right at me before sauntering off unfazed amid the gorse. As I watched it disappear into the foliage I spotted a bright orange butterfly – a Small Copper. For this one I actually climbed up and over the wall and ‘securing’ myself by holding the flimsiest of vegetation with one hand I tried for a few shots. It too was dicing with death for waiting for it on the asters was a Crab Spider, legs ready to envelope it in a fatal embrace.
03-09-2023 4.JPG
03-09-2023 5.JPG
03-09-2023 6.JPG
03-09-2023 7.JPG
03-09-2023 8.JPG
I walked on further than I had on my first visit here and kept going until I got to one of the zig-zag paths. There was another Small Copper just before my turn off after another set of Whites – which seemed to be either spilling down over the top and then bombing along the cliff face or sitting in small clusters at various intervals along the lower parts of the cliffs. On the walk up I stopped for a while, enchanted by a Wall Lizard which oddly enough was clambering along one of the walls of the zig-zag.
03-09-2023 9.JPG
03-09-2023 10.JPG
03-09-2023 11.JPG
03-09-2023 12.JPG
At the top of the hill running along the cliff top was the ‘reserve’ and so I retraced my steps; back down the zig-zag path, all the way back along the sea front and finally back up the hill to the car park. From here I worked my way alongside the top and then started at one end of the reserve so as not to miss out on anything that may have been lurking up at the top. The habitat changed as I walked from sea top footpath, down through lawns mown to within an inch of their lives and then more rough ground that, had it not been for the tall town houses and hotels on one side, could have passed for the beginnings of a dune system. All the while I checked every White just in case and sought out anything yellow in colour, even the flowers should a Cloudy be lurking camouflaged within but despite covering much ground there was not a sniff of my quarry. There had been plenty of Red Admirals, so many, and so likely that I’d count the same one several times that I scrubbed out my mental tally of them and just enjoyed the sight of them whizzing out into the void. There was also a brace of Common Blues but mainly I saw Large, Small and Unidentified Whites. Eventually the reserve ran out but I kept going, working my way through the Boscombe Gardens and out the other side. I paused here to take in a very worn Hummingbird Hawkmoth and once through the gardens the path started to fall down to the sea as it emerged onto the main footpath down to the beach. On the corner a large clump of Ivy was standing sentinel on the corner and a Holly Blue was attempting to lay on it.
03-09-2023 13.JPG
03-09-2023 14.JPG
03-09-2023 15.JPG
Once I’d tumbled back down to the sea-font I realised that I’d reached Boscombe Pier and so I set off back along the front past rows and rows of beach huts seeking out the zig-zag paths that would take me back up to the top again. Along the way I was stopped by an odd sight. Hemmed in to the cliff faces were two large, whites were consuming their way across the cliff-face. They had the look of the Mountain Goat from Canada about them and in the balmy weather bathing Britain they looked doubly incongruous. Weird wildlife aside I’d worked my way back up to the top with a brief sighting of a Painted Lady. ON the walk back along the top despite spotting two Common Blues, a Small Copper and a multitude of Whites and Red Admirals there was still no sign of a Cloudy…
03-09-2023 16.JPG
Finally footsore and very warm I turned off the track and headed for home. As I drove home I reasoned that perhaps I’d arrived a bit early either for those that were coming over from the continent or the homegrown ones. So I’d have to head back onto the Social Networking sites and keep a closer eye out…
No Cloudys yet seen
Try my luck down in Dorset
But still too early…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Portland, Church Ope 10-09-2023

Having not had luck for Cloudies anywhere else when images of them came up on the Evil Book of Face from a quarry on Portland I decided to chance my arm and ask for a little more information. What I got back was more than brilliant and a couple of people furnished me with not only the name of the spot but also parking details, directions onto the site and also the main hotspots once there. The only thing that dampened my mood slightly as I followed said directions was the leaden sky and passing through a couple of brief spells of rain. Once I was on the Isle though the weather report on the radio assured me that the weather was set to improve and so to therefore did my mood and it went up even more when I bagged the penultimate spot in the car park (these things are important you know).

I followed the instructions and soon reached the ‘site’ with a couple of whites and a Red Admiral frequenting the Buddleia along the way. At the end of the footpath there were 6 tracks to choose from! The first on my right was a private bridleway, the second was a footpath, the third ended in a gate into the construction site, straight ahead was down into a ravine with banks growing taller as the path disappeared off into the distance and on the left of me there were two parallel tracks – one stone the other grass. I plumped for straight ahead and so followed the track down and as the banks got steeper and I descended deeper into Portland I spotted several Specklies flying in the increasing gloom as well as a couple more Red Admirals. The track ended in a mass of Buddleia and by stooping almost double I was able to stick to it until it came out onto a steep rise and into a residential street. No Cloudies though and the promised sun seemed like a false promise as a wave of cloud thickened overhead.
I doubled back and took the parallel tracks reasoning that the Cloudies might have branched out a little but alas the weather report was still not proving true and the sky remained opaque and dull with the threat of rain. I spotted a few Whites but nothing else so I head back to the embankment. When I arrived back another butterflier was also perusing the vegetation and so we chatted about where the Cloudies had been seen and compared notes. I took another wander about half way along the bank on the right I found a faded Common Blue and further on along, about half way down the bank there are a few whites sitting on the Old Man’s Beard as well as a hidden Meadow Brown. At this point it started to rain, so I covered my camera and enjoyed the slight refreshment in the almost oppressive heat and muggy air. My continued wandering took me back to the start and then along the second track, past a huge Buddleia with a few Red Admirals buzzing around it. From there I went on into a little clearing where I followed a few Whites in the vain hope that they would turn into a Helice and a Red Admiral zoomed past. There was also a Painted Lady so I tried for a few shots and then successfully followed it until it landed on the deck so I was able to get in really close.
10-09-2023 1.JPG
10-09-2023 2.JPG
10-09-2023 3.JPG
10-09-2023 4.JPG
10-09-2023 5.JPG
The weather started to improve just in time for midday and despite the previous doom and gloom surprisingly just as forecast! So I retraced my steps and tried along the Bank where I spotted the same Common Blue and then a male Wall which was fluttering around the edges of the foliage and trying its best to bask in the coming sun. On round past the Old Man’s Beard and there was a Red Admiral as well as several Whites on it and up near the top of the bank there was another Painted Lady and on from that a female Common Blue. Things had started to pick up, crawling out of the woodwork as the light intensity picked up. Right at the end of the bank a Small Copper sat nicely on a mute background and on my return back to the start I added a female Chalkhill. The other butterflier had returned to the fray, having sat out the earlier brief spell of drizzle and we both set to stalking and talking after checking out the large clump of Old Man’s Beard with various assortment of Whites as well as a Red Admiral basking on a cut piece of Limestone, sitting as flat as it possibly could. As we walked towards the half way mark of the bank there was a flash of canary yellow and species number 50 for the year falls! Target 2 was met! Now for some shots…
10-09-2023 6.JPG
10-09-2023 7.JPG
10-09-2023 8.JPG
10-09-2023 9.JPG
10-09-2023 10.JPG
10-09-2023 11.JPG
10-09-2023 12.JPG
To that end after the initial sighting most of the time was spent scanning the slopes and awaiting the return of the Cloudy. Every white was examined in case it was a Helice and eventually the Cloudy did return and I manage some shots of it as it moved from flower clump to flower clump. The middle section seemed to be the best spot as the original Cloudy had now become at least two maybe three and they all seemed to follow their own, repeating flight pattern which brought them back to the middle section and our awaiting lenses. A HBHM also stopped by breaking up the wall of yellow and there were also several sightings of Red Admirals and Painted Ladies as well as the occasional Meadow Brown or blue but I was intent of getting my fill of Custard.
10-09-2023 13.JPG
10-09-2023 14.JPG
10-09-2023 15.JPG
10-09-2023 16.JPG
10-09-2023 17.JPG
10-09-2023 18.JPG
10-09-2023 19.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glad you finally caught up with a Cloudie or two Wurzel, something I failed to do in 2023.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D It wasn't a particularly 'yellow' year so they were hard work even in their 'usual haunts', hopefully there'll be a few more about next year :)

Portland, Church Ope 10-09-2023 Part 2

More sightings of the Cloudies came and waiting in the middle section really paid off as I found that I could stand on a large boulder and scan further down the side of the slope waiting for the dash of mustard that would indicate a passing Cloudy. It worked really well and I managed to ‘get in on’ a Cloudy several times. There appeared to be at least more than three different individuals although we only saw three fly together at the same time. We’d been joined by another butterflier (Karl) and in between chatting we tried out different techniques to try and capture out images. The first took to ranging, the latter standing still with a phone on a selfie stick and me in between them both, waiting on my boulder and ranging out when I spied yellow. I also took another stroll along the bottom of the ravine for three reasons – one I wanted to see what else was about, two I wanted to get some respite in the cooler shade at the bottom of the ravine and three I wanted to check my images. On the way out a Painted Lady was very obliging and further along there were a couple more as well as plenty of Specklies and a surprisingly fresh looking Meadow Brown.
10-09-2023 20.JPG
10-09-2023 21.JPG
10-09-2023 22.JPG
10-09-2023 23.JPG
10-09-2023 24.JPG
10-09-2023 25.JPG
10-09-2023 26.JPG
10-09-2023 27.JPG
10-09-2023 28.JPG
10-09-2023 29.JPG
On my return journey I found a male Chalkhill at the bottom of the bank and then I climbed back up and started searching for Cloudys again. There were plenty more sightings including notable instances when it went down and sat for a while, one time near the boulder and another when it was down near the bottom of the Bank and almost on the path down the ravine. By now I had a feeling that there were possibly as many as six different Cloudys although it was difficult to be sure as not all would stop to sup nectar. I continued keeping an eye out for the mustard beauties and ambled about the place with my pulse quickening each time one would appear. It was a great way to spend the, now extremely sunny and warm, afternoon.
10-09-2023 30.JPG
10-09-2023 31.JPG
10-09-2023 32.JPG
10-09-2023 33.JPG
10-09-2023 34.JPG
After these final sightings I realised that all good things must pass and so I decided that I really needed to head home and so with a plea to call out should a Helice appear I set off and got back in good time, such good time that L and I were able to finish off the second half of Avengers Assemble.
So target achieved
Thanks Portland for the Cloudys
Nifty fifty done!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Devenish 07-10-2023

As it was still sunny I decided to make the most of the clement weather and pop out for a last look round the Devenish. So shortly after lunch I found myself drawing up in the car park with no-one else around. I decided to check out the Paddocks first and so wandered up the short stretch of path before hopping over the gate. Usually there would be a Comma or two to greet me but today this part of the path was all quiet and I didn’t see a butterfly until I was over the second gate and in the main Paddock where there were four Red Admirals scattered across the rounded Ivy mass. As I watched them one detached itself and drifted down alighting on the recently constructed fence. The other three remained up high feeding busily and stocking up ready for leaner times ahead. A Comma suddenly appeared, well it had been there the whole time really but with its wings closed it had blended into the shade towards the inside of the mass of foliage. It seemed to be taking the same flight plan as the Red Admiral but as it drew near to the fence it veered back into the Paddocks before coming down into the tussock grasses at the edge of the field.
07-10-2023 1.JPG
07-10-2023 2.JPG
07-10-2023 3.JPG
07-10-2023 4.JPG
With something tucked away in the memory (both brain and card) I took the tunnel track on into the Orchid Meadow. At the nearest end I spied another Red Admiral but all seemed quiet here so I made for the far end all the while keeping a close eye on the fence as there were plenty of nectaring opportunities here due to the large clumps of Ivy growing up and over some of the trees that grew up tight to the fence. Near the far corner I paused as one such clump of Ivy was holding another Comma and four more Red Admirals. As I settled in to get some shots I occasionally chanced to look out over the field where a couple of Brimstones flew by and right in the far corner I spotted an aged Specklie so I walked over and grabbed a few shots of the aged one. The Specklie played up a little and so I backtracked along the fence line to the Ivy Clump. The four Red Admirals were now down to three but the Commas had increased up to four! They were also joined by a Small White which brought the species total up to 5, reasonable but I’d been hoping for a few more…
07-10-2023 5.JPG
07-10-2023 6.JPG
07-10-2023 7.JPG
07-10-2023 8.JPG
07-10-2023 9.JPG
07-10-2023 10.JPG
07-10-2023 11.JPG
To that end I made my back across the OM and up the steep bit of track onto the Down proper. Instead of taking the steep steps cut into the hillside I skirted along the bottom, keeping close to the line of Beech trees which run along the length of the hill. A Brimstone didn’t stop and neither did another Comma but as I already had shots of these I didn’t mind too much. I was soon at the Gully and I stood on one side and looked across at the tallest of trees on the other side which was draped liberally with Ivy. Sprinkled across its height were 5 Red Admirals and 2 Commas. As I wacthed intently, willing a few more butterflies to appear it became apparent that my silent calls had been mistranslated and instead of butterflies the sun came out. As the fingertips of light played across the dark green leaves the butterflies took off, presumably looking for better basking spots elsewhere. A Large White and a Specklie stopped by…well the Large White didn’t stop at all but just drifted up and down along the fence line. Another species added itself to the Tally when a Holly Blue passed down the Gully and towards the OM through the trees below. I wondered if it would hang around down in the OM and so I once again retraced my steps but this time back to the OM and ‘that’ clump of Ivy.
07-10-2023 12.JPG
07-10-2023 13.JPG
07-10-2023 14.JPG
Once again it was hotspot for Vanessids with a Comma and 2 Red Admirals in the other corner of the OM, just off site in fact as they were all over the fence line. I hung around at this end of the OM and so picked up another three Commas as well as several more Admirals. A tiny brown blur caught my attention and when it flew it transformed from brown to silvery blue so I knew that it was a Brown Argus. Sure enough I managed to track it down but it was difficult to get a shot of as the slightest breeze would send it rocking forward and backward from the top of its flimsy perch. While I was finishing up with the BA the Specklie beckoned me over and so I was able to get something a little closer than before and a Brimstone passed by as I was watching the Specklie. A little later Large White and 2 Small Whites also appeared and I watched as they played along the grass tops, teasing me that they were actually going to land. Eventually I retired back to the Paddock where 2 Red Admirals hung onto the ball shaped Ivy and I couldn’t relocate the Comma. None too shabby for the time of year but I don’t suppose that I’ll get back here now until 2024 so a pleasant way to end the season here.
07-10-2023 15.JPG
07-10-2023 16.JPG
07-10-2023 17.JPG
With Autumn waxing
The final Devenish check
Still some clinging on

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stourhead 08-10-2023

With the end of the season fast approaching and the trees starting the annual process of apoptosis it was time to head to Stourhead and marvel and the wondrous colours produced by the non-replenishment of chlorophyll. It seemed that lots of other people had the same idea but luckily we were early birds and so when we arrived in the car park it had only just opened to we had pick of the spots.

Once through we started off on our usual route which meant winding down the hill and then across the bridge with the Stourton road beneath before starting to climb up and through the various terraced walled gardens. At this time of year the walls demarking the three main terraces catch the sun and so often there are butterflies basking for all they’re worth on the friable brickwork. This was exactly so, almost as expected, in the first terrace. As we walked round the ornamental pond and climbed the steps up to the second I spotted a dark shadow looking out of place against the orange and red blockwork. It was a Red Admiral sunning itself, wings open wide to allow its black them to absorb as much sun as possible.
08-10-2023 1.JPG
08-10-2023 2.JPG
As we moved into the second terrace I scanned across the various vegetable and cut flower patches looking for anything on the wing or balancing on the flower heads. What caught my eye immediately was a sprawling clump of Ivy clinging to the far wall on my left. There was a little footpath along the edge of the wall and so I followed it along. As I neared the bush several butterflies appeared from deep within the ‘floating’ bush. I was still a reasonable distance away and so far enough to be sure that it wasn’t my presence that had disturbed them; it was more like they’d all set their individual alarm clocks to go off at the same time possibly because the temperature may have reached a level conducive to flight at that exact moment. Whatever the cause I watched as a Comma and 3 Red Admirals flew out of the bush that was inveigling itself into the crumbing brickwork. A second Comma followed suit a few seconds after the previous exodus. I presume that I hadn’t disturbed them as they didn’t fly far; one Red Admiral alighted on one of the flowers in the patch directly below the bush, one flew directly up and sat on the very top of the wall whilst the other Admirals and Commas arranged themselves at various heights along the face of the wall.
08-10-2023 3.JPG
08-10-2023 4.JPG
08-10-2023 5.JPG
08-10-2023 6.JPG
08-10-2023 7.JPG
The third and final terrace is much flatter and the upper wall sweeps round to meld into the stable buildings however there were also a few ‘beds’ one of which held a Banana bush which looked incongruous amid the more usual English botanical fare. There were also butterflies with 4 Red Admirals three of which had spread out along the length of the wall whilst the fourth had found a cosy spot on one of the gigantic banana leaves. As I watched it a Small White drifted past and rather than fly over the wall it actually made a beeline for the entrance to the terrace below instead, unfortunately for me at a fair old pace.
08-10-2023 8.JPG
08-10-2023 9.JPG
08-10-2023 10.JPG
08-10-2023 11.JPG
08-10-2023 12.JPG
After this we carried on round the prescribed route; through the stable yard, into the garden and down the zig zag paths surrounded by a multitude of Rhododendrons. All this way and beyond in fact, things remained quiet as the sun found it hard to trickle through the leaves still attached to their twigs. It wasn’t until we’d ambled through the grotto, passed the cottage and were gazing up at the gods at the Pantheon that I saw another butterfly; a Red Admiral sailing down the bank towards the lake. The rest of the walk was also very quiet with only one more butterfly, a Red Admiral up at the Temple to Apollo. With slightly tired legs we left the gardens and made our way to the courtyard when L spotted the sighting of the trip! Not only was it mini, but it was also yellow and to top it all it had a soft top! The trifacto!
08-10-2024 13a.JPG
08-10-2023 14.JPG
After this excitement we made our way up the hill but rather than disappearing off to the car we turned left and headed back over the bridge so that we could make our way back to the Stableyard for lunch. As we broke into the first terrace a Red Admiral went by as did a Small White. The latter led me on a bit of a wild goose chase, pausing every now and then just long enough for me to get into range before taking to the air once more and disappearing off at breakneck speed, pulling a ‘U-ey’ and then landing a few metres away from me whence it repeat the whole performance again. Leaving it to its little games I climbed up through Terraces 2 and 3 and was just about to catch the others up when something brown flew past. I got a decent enough look at to realise that it was a Meadow Brown but the timing had me second guessing. It was aground brown colour and was too big to be a Specklie but how usual are Meadow Browns in October? I put the mystery butterfly out of my mind and instead focused on one of the two Large Whites that were feeding on the remaining flowers in the bed. And after lunch as they say ‘that was that’ and despite me keenly staring at the road ahead and hoping to catch the glimpse of another butterfly none were forthcoming. Still not too bad for the time of year this far inland.
08-10-2023 15.JPG
Autumnal Stourhead
Yellow Mini Soft-top!
The days showstopper…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Mottisfont 22-10-2023

Normally at this time of year I’d be thinking about cleaning up the memory card, tidying up things on the hard drive and maybe even sending my workhorse lens off for a service and a tune up. But this year things seemed to be continuing and so off I went with the family to Mottisfont fueled with mild expectations which increased as we drove through the outskirts of Salisbury and several Red Admirals flew alongside or across the road at a few junctures.

About an hour later we were inside and wandering along the stream and up the rise towards the font itself. The sun was struggling to extend its reach as far as the small garden on this side of the site but tis progress as marked by a line of mist as the dew evaporated. Having broken free from the confines of the twisty paths we cut across the picnic site to the main path with a Specklie making me pause on the way.
22-10-2023 1.JPG
Things had been quite quiet up until now but I had an inkling that things might get a bit better once we entered the three walled gardens. Sure enough as we entered the first, which for some reason makes me think of Poirot and his ‘vegetable Marrows’, a Red Admiral flashed past whilst another sat on the dividing wall basking for all it was worth. As I progressed through I was greeted by a third Red Admiral in the Quarter Gardens before broaching the final garden of the three. This is usually the best, what with it’s liberal planting of Lavender and various other goodies for butterflies like Boules Mauve. Sure enough as I scanned across the flower tops I caught sight of yet another Red Admiral whilst over in the far corner a Holly Blue drifted up from the foliage and into the Holly that was growing over the alcove. As I walked round the main event appeared, its orange livery standing out against the mauve flowers it was intently feeding upon. It was a Painted Lady and so the final garden had produced the goods again. As we were leaving a Hummingbird Hawk Moth stopped in just long enough to point it out to the others.
22-10-2023 2.JPG
22-10-2023 3.JPG
22-10-2023 4.JPG
22-10-2023 5.JPG
22-10-2023 6.JPG
22-10-2023 7.JPG
We then exited the gardens and made our way across the lawn to the Picnic area to have lunch. As we wolfed down our sandwiches I watched the Specklie as it fluttered about in exactly the same spot that I’d left it earlier in the morning. It seemed to enjoy doing a circuit from Beech tree to Beech tree before stopping, possibly for a little breather, down on the deck in between the final two trees of the line. Once we’d cleared away I popped over and waited for a minute or so in the cover of one of these trees and sure enough the Specklie came to me.
22-10-2023 8.JPG
Repast over we got to walking again, first around the exhibition in the house and then out across the fields to the River walk. It was quite serene watching the occasional break in the water as one of the many Trout rose like a behemoth in miniature. The only other thing of note was yet another Red Admiral on the other side of the river and at the far end near the routes’ completion. A quick check of the Cellarium before we left saw a hunch paying off, as tucked up in the vaulted ceiling was a Small Tortoiseshell already settled down for the winter it seemed. Then it was time to pile into the car and on the journey home I added a further two species to the Tally; a female Brimstone at Lopcombe Corner and a Small White near journeys end at Bishopsdown. I completed the drive musing that it wasn’t too bad a haul for this time of year thinking that I’d seen all the butterflies for the day…which wasn’t true as a Red Admiral was waiting for us on South Street when we arrived home…but only waiting long enough to get the camera out before if buggered off!
22-10-2023 9.JPG
22-10-2023 10.JPG
Nearing the year’s end
Quick visit to Mottisfont
Quite a fruitful trip

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a very smokily-marked Painted Lady, Wurzel. A very nice sighting for the last third of October (or any time really :) ).

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D She was a little on the sultry side and a welcome sight - my second or third October sighting of this species - possibly a late bloomer? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A bit of a jump back in time...

Wales 19-08-2023

Having visited Aberaeron in the drear when we arrived back the sun made as if to come out. When in Wales you have to make the most of the ‘decent’ spells of weather and so I grabbed my camera and made my way up the Lane. The weather was changeable in terms of sun or cloud but pretty persistent in terms of the wind which was gusting strongly as I walked down the cul-de-sac towards the road. Luckily the hedges were really tall and so on one side there was barely a whisper and the exposed side it was more like a gentle breeze. Despite this the walk up to the corner only held a single Hedgie and it refused to open up so I had to settle for a few under side shots which revealed that one of the spots was more of a streak.
19-08-2023 1.JPG
19-08-2023 2.JPG
After this little interlude it all went quiet until I reached the farm buildings up the rise from the corner. Normally the left hand hedge is the main place to check but what with the wind direction the right hand side, with its barely a whisper, was the place to check. So it proved as I started seeing a few butterflies. The first was a Specklie which had a dark ground colour and very small/sparse markings with just the hint of an extra ‘eye’ along the hind wing margin. Slightly further along was a Hedgie, a six spotter, and then another Specklie and another before the butterfly run was busted by a Magpie Moth. By this time I’d covered over three quarters of the distance to the Telegraph tower and the butterflies had been fairly evenly distributed along the length of the hedge, almost as if they’d established their territories and were sitting out the cooling cloud and awaiting the arrival of the sun.
19-08-2023 3.JPG
19-08-2023 4.JPG
19-08-2023 5.JPG
19-08-2023 6.JPG
19-08-2023 7.JPG
The Brown fest continued as the next territory I entered was another Specklie but this one was seeing off something larger and orangey. I stopped and watched were it landed and it tried to hide up in the hedge. So I got in as close as I could and fired of a quick record which confirmed my initial suspicions that it was a female Wall. She closed up shop, as the sun dipped behind the cloud, so I got in even closer and even dared to risk holding some of the vegetation out of the way for a clearer shot. She was a (not quite so) little beauty and when the sun came back out she was off. However she didn’t go too far and I was able to grab a few more shots as she refuelled before a Specklie escorted her forcibly from his territory.
19-08-2023 8.JPG
19-08-2023 9.JPG
19-08-2023 10.JPG
19-08-2023 11.JPG
19-08-2023 12.JPG
I carried on up to the next break in the hedge adding a further two Specklies to the list before turning round and started back down the other side. This was where things became a little tricky in terms of recording as I couldn’t be sure that any of the Specklies that I was seeing hadn’t just nipped across the road from the other side and so not wishing to double count I didn’t add them to the tally. Also the sun was losing its battle with the cloud and there were an increasing number of water droplets being blown on the breeze so I made my way back down more promptly. I refound the Wall but she kept flying into various Specklie territories and so was given short shrift. There were again numerous Specklies, evenly distributed along the hedge including one which looked almost black and white as well a few more Hedgies.
19-08-2023 13.JPG
19-08-2023 14.JPG
19-08-2023 15.JPG
19-08-2023 16.JPG
19-08-2023 17.JPG
19-08-2023 18.JPG
I got back just in time for lunch and then took the Outlaws out for a walk up the Lane. By now the sun had wrestled its way back to prominence but I couldn’t take my camera as I was in charge of my Mother Outlaws’ wheelchair and I didn’t want to keep smashing the lens into the back of her head. I kept my eyes on the road but up at the cottages a Meadow Brown sipped some nectar and a few Hedgies caught my eye. After this we started on preparing dinner and I watched as a Green-veined Whites and then a very blue female Common Blue both landed on the lawn, the latter for some time. Of course when I was able to nip out all that there was left was a Hedgie clinging to a bush near the side return. Hopefully there would be a few more ‘breaks’ in the weather that I could take advantage of on the morrow.
19-08-2023 19.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wales 20-08-2023

The weather was actually better than forecast and so we took a little trip down the town to pick up some cooking apples for a crumble. All the way through the park and then the winding backstreets the sun shone down and away in the distance various Whites flew. Once in town we had to scout around for a paper shop as the Cost cutter was closed and not due to open until kick-off of the World Cup final but alas the old Newsagents had sold out and the newer one was now an ice cream parlour. So we were forced to retreat to the car and drive up to the new ‘local shop for local people’ in Ffos-y-ffin itself. I didn’t mind as we got to walk along the river and back across the park. The first part White central, with several all flying in a bunch, then further on a Large White was floating about up one of the woodland paths and when we cut across the park I managed to spot a Small Copper.
20-08-2023 1.JPG
20-08-2023 2.JPG
Once we’d returned and the purchases were dutifully stowed away I took a few turns around the garden. The odd little patch of purple flowers had pushed their way up through the closely mown turf and they seemed to be a magnet for some female Common Blues. I reckoned that there were probably about three different ones fluttering about for nectar or looking for somewhere to lay. They were joined by a few other butterflies. A Small White (at least I think it was the same one) kept passing across the lawn, first to one neighbours garden and then back and into the other neighbours. There was also a Red Admiral that made a fleeting visit and a brace of Hedgies, one, a male paused on the austere white of the UPVC French doors and the other, a female, hung about on one of the bushes at the edge of the garden.
20-08-2023 3.JPG
20-08-2023 4.JPG
20-08-2023 5.JPG
20-08-2023 6.JPG
20-08-2023 7.JPG
20-08-2023 8.JPG
20-08-2023 9.JPG
20-08-2023 10.JPG
The females were soon joined by a couple (maybe three as well) of males. These were in various stages of disrepair and unfortunately I don’t think that I got anything of the freshest of the bunch. No surprise really as he was also the fastest and most flighty of the party of lads. I noticed that the males preferred the yellow flowers over the purple and as these stood taller and higher above the grass heads and as they were more widely distributed it made the lads easier to track and photograph.
20-08-2023 11.JPG
20-08-2023 12.JPG
20-08-2023 13.JPG
20-08-2023 14.JPG
After lunch we took the in-laws for a walk/wheel up the Lane. For fear of smashing my Mother Outlaws head with the end of my lens I handed my camera over to K and as I pushed the wheelchair I would direct her towards the better or more interesting looking butterflies. There were more Hedgies out and about on this trip – brought out by the stronger, warmer sun. In the field near the first set of cottages just round the first bend I watched a Small Tort fly out from the garden, investigate some likely looking nectar sources on the edge of the field before nipping back into the garden from whence it came leaving me with fleeting glimpses and a Hedgie which was little consolation.
20-08-2023 15.JPG
Further up the hill we encountered a male Wall and so with handbrakes firmly applied and K guarding the Wheelchair I grabbed a few shots before resuming pushing duties. He would fly in, take nectar and then fly up along the hedge to a certain point before crossing the road and flying down the opposite hedge and then crossing back over one more ending up at the same stalks of Knapweed. This was great as not only could I and K grab a few shots but I could also point it out to my Mother in-law. Just up from this a Specklie busied itself in the bushes and then we turned about and took in the view from the telecom tower. The walk back should have been easier as it was downhill but in actual fact it was harder as I had to pull rather than push in order to prevent the chair running away from me. The Wall was in the same place and lower down the road we encountered another as well as a Red Admiral and the usual assortment of Hedgies.
K took this one...
K took this one...
20-08-2023 17.JPG
20-08-2023 18.JPG
20-08-2023 19.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wales 21-08-2023

The final full day…and as the weather forecast looked dire from about 11am I packed my camera when we headed down to the town to pick up the paper and some things for tea. On the walk in we crossed the park and walked in along the near side of the river and a Dipper shot by up the middle of the river. In the town all was quiet but a Small Tort flew over the roof of the ‘Famous £1.20 Shop’ when we came out of Costcutter with our victuals. After popping into another shop we crossed over the river and took the path down the far side. A, or possibly the original Small Tort, flew at me from the other side of the river and landed against the white wall for just long enough for me to contemplate approaching it.
After lunch the threatened thunder showers hadn’t arrived so I took a quick trip up the Lane, risking a deluge at any second. Nothing showed itself until I reached the cottages round the first corner when a female Gatekeeper sat among the flowers on the newly planted bank. After this I walked more carefully, scanning the hedges on both sides between the powerful gusts of wind and just past the turning for Mwdwl farm I started zig-zagging across the road so as not to miss out anything. All of my efforts produced only a couple of Hedgies and Specklies and not the hoped for Wall Browns, although one of the Hedgies looked very interesting, lacking most of the orange on the hind wings.
21-08-2023 1.JPG
21-08-2023 2.JPG
21-08-2023 3.JPG
21-08-2023 4.JPG
21-08-2023 5.JPG
On the return trip the forecast rain arrived, about 8 drops in total, and then the sun came back out and with it more butterflies. Just below where I’d seen the male Wall the day before but on the opposite side of the road I watched largish orange brown butterfly flying along the hedge. A Specklie detached itself from its perch and had a go at it but the Wall kept on going. I kept up with it and it flew into a gated area of the Corn field and I thought “brilliant I might get some shots”. But alas waiting for it was a second Wall and they set about either courting or fighting each other with the new arrival flying in circles around the other as they disappeared deeper into the Corn field. I carried on back down the hill consoling myself with a lovely marked Green-veined White and then another less fresh one further on. As I strode along the final stretch I spotted that the usual Buddleia had gone over but the small white one in the neighbouring garden held a Large White and a Small Tort. Not bad for a bush which was composed of only 8 florets! The wind did its best to spoil my shots.
21-08-2023 6.JPG
21-08-2023 7.JPG
21-08-2023 8.JPG
21-08-2023 9.JPG
21-08-2023 10.JPG
21-08-2023 11.JPG
I got back and was in the house just long enough to drain a coffee before heading back out this time with the wheelchair. As per yesterday K was on camera carrying duty. Unfortunately we only got as far as the corner before it started spitting. However there were a few Hedgies along the way and on the return journey a Red Admiral flew up to us, circled and plopped down on the road. After a few shots, a little video and making sure that my Mother In-law ad seen it, it shook itself off and made off down the Lane. As we passed the Buddleia I could make out a dark blob sitting on the white florets and so I sent K over to grab a few more shots of the Small Tort. Finally wheeling down Pen-Y-Bryn a few faded Common Blues flitted about on the front gardens, refuges from the gardening going on behind the houses no doubt.
21-08-2023 12.JPG
21-08-2023 13.JPG
21-08-2023 14.JPG
So our quick check-up trip came to an end – home on the morrow and I’m left wondering whether the weather will stay good upon my return?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

February 2024

The Aconites and Snowdrops are out at work so the Small Torts can't be far off now! :D 8)
02-2024.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, love your shots of the Clouded Yellow's :mrgreen: Soon be our Birthdays as well :D I think you mentioned yours was in February :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D It was a cracking trip as not only did I get some great butterflies but I also met some brilliant fellow enthusiasts and I got to visit my homeland :D 8)

Wales 21-08-2023

The final full day…and as the weather forecast looked dire from about 11am I packed my camera when we headed down to the town to pick up the paper and some things for tea. On the walk in we crossed the park and walked in along the near side of the river and a Dipper shot by up the middle of the river. In the town all was quiet but a Small Tort flew over the roof of the ‘Famous £1.20 Shop’ when we came out of Costcutter with our victuals. After popping into another shop we crossed over the river and took the path down the far side. A, or possibly the original Small Tort, flew at me from the other side of the river and landed against the white wall for just long enough for me to contemplate approaching it.

After lunch the threatened thunder showers hadn’t arrived so I took a quick trip up the Lane, risking a deluge at any second. Nothing showed itself until I reached the cottages round the first corner when a female Gatekeeper sat among the flowers on the newly planted bank. After this I walked more carefully, scanning the hedges on both sides between the powerful gusts of wind and just past the turning for Mwdwl farm I started zig-zagging across the road so as not to miss out anything. All of my efforts produced only a couple of Hedgies and Specklies and not the hoped for Wall Browns, although one of the Hedgies looked very interesting, lacking most of the orange on the hind wings.
21-08-2023 1.JPG
21-08-2023 2.JPG
21-08-2023 3.JPG
21-08-2023 4.JPG
21-08-2023 5.JPG
On the return trip the forecast rain arrived, about 8 drops in total, and then the sun came back out and with it more butterflies. Just below where I’d seen the male Wall the day before but on the opposite side of the road I watched largish orange brown butterfly flying along the hedge. A Specklie detached itself from its perch and had a go at it but the Wall kept on going. I kept up with it and it flew into a gated area of the Corn field and I thought “brilliant I might get some shots”. But alas waiting for it was a second Wall and they set about either courting or fighting each other with the new arrival flying in circles around the other as they disappeared deeper into the Corn field. I carried on back down the hill consoling myself with a lovely marked Green-veined White and then another less fresh one further on. As I strode along the final stretch I spotted that the usual Buddleia had gone over but the small white one in the neighbouring garden held a Large White and a Small Tort. Not bad for a bush which was composed of only 8 florets! The wind did its best to spoil my shots.
21-08-2023 6.JPG
21-08-2023 7.JPG
21-08-2023 8.JPG
21-08-2023 9.JPG
21-08-2023 10.JPG
21-08-2023 11.JPG
I got back and was in the house just long enough to drain a coffee before heading back out this time with the wheelchair. As per yesterday K was on camera carrying duty. Unfortunately we only got as far as the corner before it started spitting. However there were a few Hedgies along the way and on the return journey a Red Admiral flew up to us, circled and plopped down on the road. After a few shots, a little video and making sure that my Mother In-law ad seen it, it shook itself off and made off down the Lane. As we passed the Buddleia I could make out a dark blob sitting on the white florets and so I sent K over to grab a few more shots of the Small Tort. Finally wheeling down Pen-Y-Bryn a few faded Common Blues flitted about on the front gardens, refuges from the gardening going on behind the houses no doubt.
21-08-2023 12.JPG
21-08-2023 13.JPG
21-08-2023 14.JPG
So our quick check-up trip came to an end – home on the morrow and I’m left wondering whether the weather will stay good upon my return?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”