Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Grayling are possibly my favourite species - they're highly variable, have interesting behaviours and characters and dwell in an unusual habitat 8) I'm glad you enjoyed the holiday shots :D speaking of which... :wink:

Saturday 8th April - The Last Full Day

The last full day had arrived. The weather was set to turn on the morrow but for today it was forecast to be near perfect – mainly sunny, a light breeze and warm, the warmest it had been all week. While the rest of the family enjoyed the sun and hanging out and lazing around the pool I had a couple of hours after a late breakfast and before an even later lunch to head up the mountain/hill. After the scare from the day before my aim was to try and find and if possible photograph everything that I’d seen so far as a back-up in case I couldn’t retrieve any other shots from my other SD card. It was going to be a bit tricky but things had started moving on quite quickly from the start of the week, the weather was set to be the best it had been and most importantly I had an idea of what to look for and where to look for it. So with my camera checked and rucksack packed I was away up the mountain.

The first stop was the Terrace and so I climbed down and worked my way along the steep side of the hill. As I did so I could see Brimstones and Cleopatras flapping idly along the length of the crumbling wall whilst Walls darted here and there settling often yet briefly almost as if they couldn’t find the perfect sunbathing spot. One Brimstone in particular caught my eye and I grabbed a few photos just in case it was an exceedingly rare Powdered Brimstone. Once I’d waited for it to settle and got a few shots I carefully picked my way back spotting a Geranium Bronze in a similar spot to where I’d first seen one at the start of the trip. As I moved in to get a few shots my attention was diverted as a Cloudy shot past and whizzed down the side of the hill. I’d heard of having a helping hand from a tailwind but this was more of a gravity assisted flight and it looked like it had just hurled itself down the hill as it hurtled past.
08-04-2023a 1.JPG
08-04-2023a 2.JPG
08-04-2023a 3.JPG
I climbed up and out of the Terrace and carried on up round the snaking bends and paused at the entrance to the Cutting. The yellow flowers were playing host to a couple of EOTs, a few Walls danced about between the rocks, tumbling down the crumbling dry soil mini cliffs and carrying on their scarping out across the road. A small blue butterfly had me following it right up the Cutting and along the small path that ran parallel and at the same level as the house sitting in the side of the hill. Its flight was quite jinky which suggested a Hairstreak but it was flying at the wrong height, always keeping low to the ground rather that flitting about at the top of the Olive trees. Eventually it settled and I could see that it was only a Holly Blue so I retraced my steps and left the Cutting to carry on up the hill. On ever upwards I went, past the Dog House, round the first bend and to the ninety degree bend. There was a Greenstreak here as well as a collection of Whites; Large, EOT, Small and possibly Southern Small but it was difficult tell in flight as well a Red Admiral which didn’t fit into the collection. Even though I was getting higher and higher it was still getting hotter and hotter so when I walked past the Cacti it almost felt appropriate rather than incongruous and surprising as on previous turns up the mountain. As I marvelled at the thick succulent leaves a Large Tort did a turn around the road and catching a micro thermal rose up the Mountain – something to look out for later I told myself.
08-04-2023a 4.JPG
08-04-2023a 5.JPG
08-04-2023a 6.JPG
I carried on walking occasionally moving into the side of the road so that vans and small lorries could travel up and down to the villa under construction. I couldn’t believe how they drove racing up and down on roads/tracks barely wide enough for their vehicles with vertical drops on one side and bodywork destroying walls on the other. Their H&S, or rather lack of it could be seen on the construction site as well; tracks perched teetering on the brink of drops, scaffold planks bridging one side of the build to the other with three storey drops even before the drop from the hill was taken into consideration and not a helmet, high vis or even a pair of work boots in sight! Chuckling I carried on to the relative safety of the straight and the little triangle of garden at the start of it. As it came into sight it was brilliant to see, a now familiar, shape fluttering in amid the pale mauve flowers. It was one of the species that I was worried about finding again as it was highly mobile but here it was on the smallest of patches of flowers – a Southern Festoon. As I took it in in all its glory it looked much more yellow in colour, almost orange/ochre. I don’t know if this is an actual thing – a form or race or sexual dimorphism – or whether I was just taking it in more acutely due to the relief of ‘backing it up’. Once it had made its way off I happened to look up to check on how the weather was looking and there was a Bonelli’s Eagle overhead! Whistling in a chuffed fashion I looked down and feeding on some of the flowers along the verge was a delicately marked White. I say delicate in reference to the level of pigment not in the size of the markings. I wondered at first if it was a Green-veined White but a few checks of the underside revealed plain wings with not a streak in sight so SSW it was – another ‘back-up’ ticked off.
08-04-2023a 7.JPG
08-04-2023a 8.JPG
08-04-2023a 9.JPG
08-04-2023a 10.JPG
Things were going really well and so I made my way up the straight path with the odd Cleopatra along the way; I was wondering how I could relocate the Nettle Tree butterfly – and then I ran into a small group of them so I needn’t have worried! There were at least four along this section of the path and I watched 3 interacting as they vied for a good perching spot. One in particular kept returning to same perch on a small Holly bush. Luckily as it was clinging to the side of the hill which dropped away steeply from the side of the road it was actually at about chest height to me and so with a bit of reaching out my arms fully I was able to get some cracking shots – so long as the others stayed away. The minute another butterfly appeared both would be off chasing each other recklessly along the side of the mountain or roaring straight down the middle of the track. When they were grounded they were almost as inapproachable as Walls. But when perched they were much more amenable and I could really take in the salient points of their morphology; triangular wings with almost square notches cut out, almost square hind wings with triangular ‘toothed’ fringes and with their massive hooters they really are a funny and unique looking butterfly!
08-04-2023a 11.JPG
08-04-2023a 12.JPG
08-04-2023a 13.JPG
08-04-2023a 14.JPG
08-04-2023a 15.JPG
08-04-2023a 16.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

What a fantastic trip you had Wurzel and a great day to finish it off :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D This was only the first of several parts from that last day - it turned into a bit of an epic one but no more spoilers :wink: :lol:

Back in the UK and later in the year...

Shipton Bellinger 09-08-2023 Part 1

I made a quick stop-off on the way over to Shipton as I was returning the compliment of a fresh arrival coffee to Dave after his life-saving interjection on my Epsom visit. With piping hot coffee in hand I soon arrived and parked up at almost exactly the same time as Trevor which I’m confident was definitely a case of ‘great minds thinking alike’. We set off directly and worked along the Main Hedge starting at the bottom end. It was still very early in terms of Brostreaks taking to the wing s we focused our attention between ground level and waist height with only the occasional glance up into the dizzying height of the hedge. As we moved along the early morning dew clung to the grass and soaked our boots making the leather shine. Things were only just waking up and the first species of note onto the Tally was a male Wall which was sitting in almost exactly the same spot as Trevor had found a mating pair in before. As we clicked away we were left wondering if this was the same male fancying his chances for a second attempt? The early risers started to put in an appearance; a Small White, some Hedgies and the odd Meadow Brown as well as a Red Admiral soaking up some pre-flight heat to get the motor running. Holly Blues started to stir and our occasional glances upwards would be met by tiny flashes of white as the butterflies underside caught the sun. By the time we’d made it to the other end we’d added a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, Brown Argus, Small Copper and Heath, a few Brimstones and a Peacock. In fact pretty much most of the expected species, so perhaps it wasn’t as early as it seemed?
09-08-2023 1.JPG
09-08-2023 2.JPG
09-08-2023 3.JPG
09-08-2023 4.JPG
09-08-2023 5.JPG
At the other end we bumped into Blackstreak Dan and also Brian and as we chatted and caught up Dave arrived up from the village which meant I could start shooting with two hands :wink: . We took to talking and Hedge staring and then at 10:15 and so contrary to the rule book, a male Brostreak turned up on a patch of Wild Parsnip. I called Brian back so he could join in as the Brostreak put in quite a display, pirouetting around the flower head and offering everyone the opportunity for some side on shots before opening up occasionally. Now and then it would take to the air but it never ventured far sometimes even landing back in exactly the same spot. It would also do little ‘bunny hops’ between very close florets. We were able to keep tabs on him and know that we were watching a single individual as he’d lost his left hand tail. This observation proved useful as after a short while he did another one of his little flights and at first we thought that he’d returned only for it to turn out that it was a different male, this one with a slice in its right hind wing. In between the Brostreak watching there were of course other butterflies about including a beautifully fresh female Wall and a few photogenic Small Heath, a less common sight this year than usual.
09-08-2023 6.JPG
09-08-2023 7.JPG
09-08-2023 8.JPG
09-08-2023 9.JPG
09-08-2023 10.JPG
09-08-2023 11.JPG
09-08-2023 12.JPG
09-08-2023 13.JPG
Bunny Hop
Bunny Hop
09-08-2023 15.JPG
09-08-2023 16.JPG
09-08-2023 17.JPG
We three made our way back to the cars for a snack and a little look around the local environs. Trevor made his way into the little enclosure before the Nettle Beds whilst Dave and I had a mooch in the Wild Parsnip patch in the corner of the field behind the Main Hedge. The usual fare flew here as well as a DGF but despite the promise suggested by the form of the habitat we didn’t find a Brostreak. One butterfly of note did turn up though, a ghostly looking Hedgie looking a little like the Hedgie form of an ab.schmidtti Small Copper. I only managed a few shots as it moved on and I couldn’t follow it as a shout went up from Trevor in the enclosure…
09-08-2023 18.JPG
As we walked/ran into the enclosure and drew near to Trevor he pointed out a female Brostreak low down and on the same flower as a second butterfly. The fact that there were two butterflies sitting peacefully, side by side and in fact almost touching wasn’t that uncommon, the fact that the second butterfly was the belligerent little bugger that is a Brown Argus was what made it so! In my shock I managed only a couple of shots before the Brown Argus, possibly because it realised it was being watched, reverted to form and saw the Brostreak off. After this we gave the Enclosure a thorough going over but could only muster a Small Copper, Common Blue and a Silver-washed darting past.
09-08-2023 19.JPG
More soon...
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 09-08-2023 Part 2

We carried on and walked round to the Nettle Bed. It still seemed in a reasonable state of repair – the tracks hadn’t been widened or trampled any more than from my previous visit and there was still a substantial coverage of the Nettles so the large numbers of Vanessids should have plenty of places to lay. I was just pointing out the thin stands of Creeping Thistle which had held a couple of male Brostreaks on previous visits when slightly further on sitting on a Mulberry(?) I spotted a female Brostreak. She was in prime position but I only managed a couple of shots before she was off higher up into the trees on the other side of the narrow track. We watched her for a bit but getting anything shots wise was a bit of a struggle as she had a propensity to hang around in the most vegetated parts of the tree.
09-08-2023 20.JPG
After a bit we left her too it and carried on round the narrow strip of track on the other side of the triangular patch. A few Commas and Red Admirals flew around the large and slightly overhanging Bramble bush but just before that by the ‘entrance’ into the Nettle Bed a female was feeding. She was was a little like ‘Two-face’ from the DC comics as one side had a bit of a chunk missing which wasn’t really noticeable whereas the other was chips, ripped and torn. Dave and I took up positions on opposing sides and clicked away as she turned this was and that, showing her good side and then her damged one before repeating. I took a brief break in between waiting for her to turn from an acute angle to fully side on and grabbed a few shots of a tired looing male that had popped down to the end of the line of Creeping Thistles, possibly to see what all the fuss was about? Once the female had fed enough she flew up into the taller trees and into the little wood that runs between the Nettle Bed and the main field. There are some Field Maples in there and possibly a few Ash trees as well but much as I’d love to explore and try and relocate the Brostreaks in there it looks quite impenetrable. Dave, Trevor and I continued down the path and right and old friend appeared; Ole Hooky was feeding on the very same little patch of Creeping Thistle from a few days previously.
09-08-2023 21.JPG
09-08-2023 22.JPG
09-08-2023 23.JPG
09-08-2023 24.JPG
09-08-2023 25.JPG
Ole Hooky
Ole Hooky
Once back at the main Hedge we pointed Brian and his companion in the correct direction for the Nettle Bed and walked up and down the Main Hedge a few times the last time carrying on right up the side of the hill to the Wall lek at the top. As we broached the top of the hill and the Pine trees gave way to a lower hedge on one side and open down land on the other sure enough we were assailed by a couple of Walls. It was one of those times of ‘prophetic chatting’ as I’d just been saying to Dan that the Walls usually fly along the various track ways at the top of the hill and there they were, doing exactly as predicted almost to the second that the sentence had left my lips. While we patiently tried for the Walls a DGF and a Silver-washed both did a fly past whilst Brown Argus harried the Small Coppers and Common Blues and one even had a go at a Peacock, a butterfly at last 5 times the size of it!
09-08-2023 27.JPG
Eventually we made our way back down and caught up with Trevor at the Main Hedge, just in time to catch up with (yet?) another male Brostreak which was enjoying the Wild Parsnip, the lurid yellow certainly acts as a magnet to the Brostreaks and nicely sets of the orange tones of the butterfly. This time Dave and I didn’t hang around but set off on another circuit taking in the Enclosure and the nettle Bed. The species count was very similar to our previous lap but we did find another Brostreak another male which had cheekily taken Ole Hooky’s spot. We intercepted Dan and Trevor halfway across the main field and then checked out the hedge on the opposite side to the Main one. In some years, when the wind blows in a certain direction, this can actually be more productive than the Main Hedge but today it was very quiet. Meadow Browns and the odd White flew along the length, the former erupting periodically to fly up and lead your eyes Hedge-ward whilst the latter fluttered doggedly on seeking a member of the opposite sex. At the far end I see what I’m sure is another Brostreak go up and over to the other side of the hedge and a female Meadow Brown takes up and is quickly intercepted by a male. They go to ground almost immediately and the male had his genitalia locked on before he’d even introduced himself – they certainly don’t hang about!
09-08-2023 28.JPG
09-08-2023 29.JPG
09-08-2023 30.JPG
09-08-2023 31.JPG
Our wandering brought us back to the Main Hedge for a final pass along its length. Slightly further down from the main Wild Parsnip patch was a second smaller assemblage. Sure enough there was a male down and feeding. We gave it the once over – both tails and not slice taken out of the hind wing – so it was a different male from the others seen. While we clicked away we were joined by Wayne and his friend and also another male which sadly remained up high as it flew past. We didn’t mind as shortly in its place a female turned up. She was quite high up but by standing on tip-toes and stretching my arms out I could get something on the memory card. Beggers can’t be choosers and all that. To be honest playing hard to get added to her allure but we’d certainly seen plenty for the day so when she refused to come down any lower we weren’t too disappointed.
09-08-2023 32.JPG
09-08-2023 33.JPG
09-08-2023 34.JPG
09-08-2023 35.JPG
09-08-2023 36.JPG
09-08-2023 37.JPG
09-08-2023 38.JPG
09-08-2023 39.JPG
Once our memory cards were filled and we were sated for good shots/sights we wished the others well and walked to the end of the hedge. On the corner we said goodbye to Dave and then at the car park Trev and I went out separate ways. I drove home extremely chuffed with the haul of at least 11 different Brostreaks – 7 males and 4 females and just wondered if there might be a few more males on the morrow…
With good friends well met
And Brostreaks almost on tap
Shipton’s where it’s at!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Saturday 8th April - The Last Full Day
Part 2
Things were going really well as I’d backed up 5 of the key species from the trip and I hadn’t even reached one of the best spots yet! After another short stretch up the straight bit of road with plenty more Nettle Tree sightings I turned right at the Y junction and left the road behind and set off along the track…well to be factually correct I left some relatively smooth concrete and walked onto rougher concrete. As I rounded the corner at the Y junction and started along the reasonably level mountain pass a male OT was still patrolling and the second butterfly that I saw was a gorgeous female Green-underside Blue. Things were definitely going well on the ‘back-up photos front’ as my previous one had been a tatty male but this was an immaculate female. I spent quite a while with her as she bimbled form one nectar source to another drinking in all of her finery and trying to commit the salient features to memory; the lack of spotting on the hind wing (although since then I’ve found that they’re highly variable), the suffusion of turquoise blue fading as it rises from the body up the wing and on top the stunning unbroken white fringes edging almost metallic blue at the front and chocolate brown at the rear. A cracking looking butterfly and species number 6 ‘backed up’.
08-04-2023a 17.JPG
08-04-2023a 18.JPG
08-04-2023a 19.JPG
08-04-2023a 20.JPG
I pressed on with the odd Wall flying by and several huge crickets and round the next bend I found a few more Nettle Tree butterflies flying along the track and stopping for salts. Once again when on the deck they proved extremely difficult to approach and I was only able to get a few distant shots for all my effort. However my labours didn’t prove futile as among the Nettle Trees there was something slightly larger. As I cautiously approached it opened up and I could see that it was unequivocally a Large Tort; so another ‘first’ backed-up. I think there was something in the air at this higher altitude as this also played a little harder to get than the first one that I’d encountered and again I managed a few distant shots which was a shame as this individual was in fine fettle.
08-04-2023a 21.JPG
08-04-2023a 22.JPG
08-04-2023a 23.JPG
08-04-2023a 24.JPG
After a quick check of the lush path that led down to the water tank which despite the verdant green proved empty of butterflies I turned back around and started to head home, still scanning the track ahead and occasionally peering over the side and down the mountain. I was accompanied by a few Walls and one definite Large Wall as well as a few Nettle Tree butterflies but I’d gotten to suss to their games and so didn’t try to get to close to them. A Cloudy zipped towards me and then dove down the side of the mountain as did an Eastern Dappled White unfortunately…that was one I was hoping to have reacquainted myself with but alas it disappeared further and further down the mountain and following it would have been potentially neck breaking. I carried on wondering if this would be the one that got away and hoping even harder that if that was the case my original SD card would be okay.

As I turned the corner on the way back to where the Green-underside Blue had been I was still annoyed at missing out on my second Eastern Dappled White but consolation came instead when I found a Helice Cloudy. It was feeding on the flowers that were clinging to the shear side of the mountain from where the track had been gouged into the rock and while I was trying to photograph it I was bombed by a Large Tort. This one was a fair bit more worn and tired looking than any of the others that I’d seen but surprise-surprise this was the best behaved, in fact I almost couldn’t get rid of it! After it had bombed me a few more times it landed and started walking over the rough concrete floor most probably looking for a source of moisture or a spot which was radiating out more heat than any other. This was great for me as it would take a short walk, flapping its wings as it did so (a bit like us swinging our arms at our sides as we walk I suppose) before settling down and allowing me to get a few shots before it would try elsewhere. Chuffed to have had such a close encounter I fair skipped along the rest of the track to the end part where the verges were covered in nectar sources.
08-04-2023a 25.JPG
08-04-2023a 26.JPG
08-04-2023a 27.JPG
08-04-2023a 28.JPG
Once back amid the small flowers patches I spotted a brace of battling mallow Skippers and I was able to get my best views and shots to date of this cracking little butterfly. In the brighter sunlight the mauve colour running through parts of the fore wing didn’t really show up but instead I could see the edge of the hind wings with the little protuberances poking out from the main body of the wing. As I was relishing the Mallows I saw a brilliant flash of blue out of the corner of my eye. It turned into another Green-underside Blue but even better still it was a fresh out of the box male this time. It started off pirouetting around the flowers with its wings closed, occasionally giving a glimpse of the topside as it tried to keep its’ balance. I kept watching and waiting and eventually it got the message and sitting on a broader leaf it started basking. The way the layers of colour were arranged reminded me of a Silver-studded Blue as it went from brilliant white to black to blue but the blue was almost that of a Holly Blue. Needless to I lapped it up although looking back it seems that I relished watching it a little too much when really I should have been clicking away like mad.
08-04-2023a 29.JPG
08-04-2023a 30.JPG
08-04-2023a 31.JPG
08-04-2023a 32.JPG
08-04-2023a 33.JPG
After this I made my way back towards the Y junction stopping for the Mallows once again before contemplating the descent and I left really pleased that things had worked out so well and the only ‘new’ species that I’d failed to recapture was the Eastern Dappled White. As I started back down the hill there was another female Green-underside Blue as well as the battling nettle Tree butterflies and on the flowers along the side more Cleopatras and a Holly Blue. What a brilliant ‘catch-up’ but there were still a few things to add to back up the memory card so I went forth in hope.
08-04-2023a 34.JPG
08-04-2023a 35.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your last couple of posts are certainly a feast for the eyes.
I knew you had great success with the BH at Shipton B, but not that much! :mrgreen:
Also your shot of the BH/BA duo is worth a :mrgreen: , as I know how little time you had to take it.
Also a :mrgreen: for the Large Torts. More would have been awarded had they been in the UK.

Great reports and shots,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Ooooh that Green underside Blue (still not worked out where the name comes from) really is lush, both sexes in fact! :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm with Paul on this, Wurzel - those fresh GUBs are absolutely splendid. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've only ever seen a worn male. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Shipton was pretty great this year, even if the females played a little harder to get than in previous years :wink: I need to work on a UK Large Tort - something for next year maybe :D
Cheers Bugboy :D I can't work out the naming either - Blue Flush would have been better, or maybe even cyan in certain lights but green? :roll: :lol:
Cheers Dave :D My first GUB was a worn one a few days before so I was really chuffed with the fresh ones as I thought that I might have missed them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 10-08-2023

When I pulled into the car park I was the only one there save for a few people that were being exercised by their dogs. Leaving them to wrestle their giant pooches back into the car I made my way round to the main hedge. It was slightly breezier and cloudier than the day before and I hoped that it wouldn’t deter the Brostreaks from coming down as they had done the day before. On my first walk up and back down along the Main Hedge I picked up some rather nice Brimstones, the odd Meadow Brown fluttered alluringly over the tops of the trees before flapping lazily back down and within sight ensuring their correct identification and there were also a few Small Whites and Holly Blues. Once I was about half way along my second pass Philzoid arrived and I bumped into Sheila and Denise for the first time. That’s the odd thing about the Evil Book of Face; you read about the exploits of various people, see their cracking shots and then one day there they are, in the field and in the flesh and despite it being the first ever time that you’ve met them you feel like you already kind of do. After the moment of realisation (hang on aren’t you…?) Trevor arrived and once we’d caught up people started to spread out and search as more eyes are many times better than a single set. The species tally started to creep up with Common Blue making it onto the list and then an aged Brown Argus swiftly followed by a much newer individual which looked good for an ab.snelleri. Small Heath, Small Copper and a Holly Blue all appear in the ‘usual’ spots and a Wall bombs by but despite it getting into the ‘Golden Hours’ and despite the small bucket load the day before, there wasn’t hide nor hair of the Brostreaks?
10-08-2023 1.JPG
10-08-2023 2.JPG
10-08-2023 3.JPG
10-08-2023 4.JPG
10-08-2023 5.JPG
10-08-2023 6.JPG
Philzoid climbed up the hill to try his luck on the rise for Brostreaks and Walls and maybe an Adonis? We kept our wanderings along the hedge and eventually they took us round to the little enclave which borders the Bulford Road. On the way the usual species accompanied us including a few Holly Blues which had started to come down from their high horse. When we reached the little enclosure finally a Brostreak appeared. It was on the other side of a clump of Wild Parsnip with a small stand of Hawthorn in between it and my lens and as I tried to manoeuvre round it was gone. It alighted briefly in front of some of the others so perhaps they managed a shot but not me. Instead I spent my time watching the various other butterflies that were here; Brown Argus, Common Blue, Green-veined White and a Small Copper were the highlights while Red Admirals, the odd Peacock, Meadow and Hedge Browns and Brimstones made up the usual background readings.
10-08-2023 7.JPG
10-08-2023 8.JPG
10-08-2023 9.JPG
10-08-2023 10.JPG
After this I tried round the Nettle patch. A Silver Washed flew past and then hung about with an H Comma at the far end but the Creeping Thistle here had started to fade so I made my way along the other track. There were plenty of Hedgies to distract me and they certainly lived up to their name of ‘False Streak’. When perched nicely the two species look worlds apart but when whizzing past and viewed either from distance or out of the corner of your eye that’s when you’re left guessing. Unfortunately for me they all remained Hedgies and so I progressed scanning even more intently. The large Bramble was still attracting the butterflies and there were a few Red Admirals and a couple of Commas still frequenting it as well as a Holly Blue. Finally at the end of the track on the few Creeping Thistles on the edge of another large Nettle Bed I spotted a Brostreak. It was wasn’t the most neat and tidy of butterflies, even having a nick on the hind wing near the ‘tail’, but it was no less a welcome sight for that. After getting a few shots and enjoying the slight frisson of relief having found my quarry I pressed on and bumped into Jenny on the corner of the main track, just round from the main field. She was staring intently into the hedge and after a bit of ‘do you see that twig, well go up a foot to the right…’ I found what she was watching; a female Brostreak. This one was acting very coy, sitting right at the back the hedge and quite a stretch for my lens. It moved, slightly higher and actually slightly further back but luckily this meant that it was actually slightly more approachable as we could work our way in and round without flattening everything within out path. So we did but unfortunately when she adopted the best pose of the session she was half in bright sun and half in shade. I still grabbed a few shots for posterity anyway and wished Jenny well so that I could get back to the Main Hedge and catch-up with Philzoid.
10-08-2023 11.JPG
10-08-2023 12.JPG
10-08-2023 13.JPG
10-08-2023 14.JPG
10-08-2023 15.JPG
Once we’d exchanged war stories we did a few runs along the Main Hedge but despite the many Brostreaks that he fallen down like autumnal leaves the day before we didn’t find any other Brostreaks here and the only thing of note amongst the usual fare was a DGF. Trevor had a fair old drive to get home and so he bade his farewells and the Three Musketeers became two. Inevitably we ended up back at the Nettle Bed and I wondered how long we’d have to look or how much time it would take to locate a Brostreak? I needn’t have worried as a battered old male turned up on some of the remaining Creeping Thistle almost as soon as we arrived. As we were clicking away another gent (who I see most years) pointed out a female that was deep in the bramble off to one side of the ‘entry path’ of the Nettle Bed. As we watched I took advantage of someone else’s foray into the briar so that I could get a closer view. It was interesting to watch her feeding up close. While she was sussing everything out her antennae would be raised, smelling each floret in turn to see if it was full of nectar or had been emptied already. Once she’d decided and her proboscis was deployed she would hold the antennae down and it looked almost like she was using them as a counterbalance?
10-08-2023 16.JPG
Ready, set...
Ready, set...
...munch!
...munch!
After a short feed she took to the air and did a quick circuit around over the Nettle Bed only about a metre from where she’d taken off. We all didn’t mind as she was now sitting in a much more accessible position and so we took it in turns to click away at the stunning looking female. In the final Nettle bed close to where Jenny had found the female earlier a brace of males were knocking seven bells out of each other but they were too intent on inflicting damage to each other to stop for the cameras and so we packed up and made our way across country and through the conurbation of Tidworth towards Perham Down…
10-08-2023 19.JPG
10-08-2023 20.JPG
10-08-2023 21.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

December 2023

The final one..better start on the next one :wink: Happy December!
12 Dec 23.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Perham 10-08-2023 Part 2

After a quick bit of rally driving we arrived over at Perham Down and set off directly along the path that skirts the left-hand copse. As we wandered along various Blues and Browns vied for our attention as the path wove through the longer grasses to the imperceptibly sloping foot of the Down. Once there the butterflies turned up in even greater numbers with the odd Chalkhill Blue showing ghostly white as it flitted over the turf top and more Brown Argus than you could shake a stick at. However we were here for Silver Spots and so we did our best to focus on the job (species) in hand. It didn’t take very long until we spotted a small blur skimming across the thin carpet of green. It escaped us but another was slightly slower and when we got in close enough it resolved into a tired looking male possibly explained the reduced turn of speed.
10-08-2023 1a.JPG
With this ticked off we started working our way up the gentlest of gentle slopes, criss-crossing and traversing it so as to check as much of it as possible. Our diligent surveying however would go to pot the minute that we came across a Silver Spot as they would veer this way and that which led us astray from our planning, methodical route. But they were worth it. By the time that we’d reached the stretch of more scrubby ground we’d seen several Silver Spots totalling four males, a female and a few that got away and remained gender neutral.
10-08-2023 2a.JPG
10-08-2023 3a.JPG
10-08-2023 4a.JPG
10-08-2023 5a.JPG
As we continued through the scrubby patch a Wall popped up and after a few shots it shot off leaving us to break out of the scrub and start once more climbing the Down, albeit at such a gradient that you only noticed that you’d gone up hill when you occasionally paused and looked back where we’d started from. When we reached the even thinner turf at the bottom of the steeper bit of slope that rose up to the old Hotspot the Blues had taken over. There were plenty of Chalkhills, their pale sky blue making them stand out against the rich, warm background palette as well as the smattering of Common blues. A few Brimstones kept to the fringes of the ‘field’ whilst the other Whites, rather than using evasive manoeuvres, used perpetual motion to escape from our lenses. The Brown Argus were once again prevalent which meant getting shots of anything else became even harder as any settled butterfly was a prime target for their ire. The hedged in path up to the Hotspot held several Hedgies (odd that eh? ;-)) as well as a brace of Commas and singletons of Peacock and Red Admiral but the Hotspot itself was bereft of Silver Spots and so we retraced our steps back down the and made our way to the initial starting slope…
10-08-2023 6a.JPG
10-08-2023 7a.JPG
10-08-2023 8a.JPG
As we reached thin turf on the initial slope with started finding Silver Spots again and so we adopted the original search pattern, combing the grass for small, golden blurs. Our criss-crossing again paid off as we found a pair looking like they were about to start, at least courting, if not copulating. However they decided that they wanted a little more privacy, or possibly the female decided she didn’t want any, and they nipped off an inch above the deck. Further searching saw us find a really fresh female. She was a lovely golden yellow colour rather than the lime/lemon colour that I’d gotten used to and occasionally there would be a golden sparkle as one or more of her body hairs caught the light in a certain way. She was a stunner and we put Denise and Sheila onto her as they’d arrived. We thought about moving on as a larger group had arrived but as the usual law dictated this was when the butterflies started showing up more easily. In fact all you had to do was lift your head from watching one and you’d spot another flying past. In the end it got a bit confusing as I didn’t know which to try for first. After racking up plenty of shots I settled into just watching and so witnessed an egg laying female. I could have tried for some shots but she was trying so hard that it didn’t seem fair to bother her by sticking a lens in her face, besides which the grasses would have covered up various parts of the wings.
10-08-2023 9a.JPG
10-08-2023 10a.JPG
10-08-2023 11a.JPG
10-08-2023 12a.JPG
10-08-2023 13a.JPG
10-08-2023 14a.JPG
10-08-2023 15a.JPG
10-08-2023 16a.JPG
Eventually we decided that we had had our fill and it was time to make a move. So we wished everyone well and started back, stopping on the way for a couple of Meadow Browns. The first was a fairly standard example of the state of play Meadow Brown wise for the time year – slightly faded, slightly worn and slightly chipped. The other was sitting wings held open but at an awkward angle so anything but standard. When we moved in closer the reason for the unusual pose became clear as a white Crab Spider went about preparing its macabre feast. The final distraction came in the form of a few Common Blues that hijacked us as we passed through the windy bit of path with tall grasses on either side and then, all too soon we were back at the cars, wishing each other well and safe onwards travels and driving our separate ways. A cracking visit all told, if slightly harder work for the Brostreaks then the day before.
10-08-2023 17a.JPG
10-08-2023 18a.JPG
Where are the Brostreaks?
What a difference a day makes
Stuff them…to Perham!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Saturday 8th April - The Last Full Day - Part 3

Having gotten up and then wandered around at the top of the mountain I now needed to make the return journey, aided by gravity :D

After the straight it was back to walking down the hairpin bends and sweeping corners in the end covering 10 times the distance compared to a single straight line up the side of the mountain. I didn’t mind the scenic route though as it drastically increased the chances of getting a few butterflies and as I walked I was accompanied by the ‘usual’ species; Cleopatras, various Whites and Walls. In amongst the Whites were a courting pair of EOTs; the female sitting with wings stretched out wide, abdomen arching over her thorax whilst the male flew slowly in from various angles and possibly dusted her in pheromones. From above the female could almost be taken for a ‘normal’ Orange-tip until you notice the chequered yellow fringes. Slightly further on from this an Orange-tip (Western? Northern?) fussed about on the purple flowers whilst there were Green-veined Whites fluttering on the side of the hill as well as a Brimstone that looked possibly good for Powdered or maybe it was a female Cleopatra?
08-04-2023a 36.JPG
08-04-2023a 37.JPG
08-04-2023a 38.JPG
08-04-2023a 39.JPG
08-04-2023a 40.JPG
08-04-2023a 41.JPG
At the cutting a few more Walls flew about but for me the star of the show here was a female Southern Festoon. I knew it was a female as I watched her laying eggs which gave me the opportunity to get some shots of the underside of the wings as well as the eggs themselves. It flew slowly across the tops of the vegetation obviously seeking some tasty looking food plant. When it had found what it was looking for it would fly even more slowly with its abdomen curled round beneath it. It would then land, almost abdomen first, the egg would be laid and then it would head off looking for another likely looking larval food source. Interestingly it seemed to only lay a single egg at a time. It was amazing to see; what a stunning butterfly well and truly backed up! I then turned my attentions to the EOTs that were around and about – both males and females as well as a Cloudy. The EOT posed very nicely, the female perched in an unusual angle on some of the rocks while the male fed on the purple flowers which had so fascinated the ‘normal’ OT. The Cloudy however reverted to form and spent it time either whizzing about manically or pretending that it would land only to fly off the second the first of its tarsi hit the ground.
08-04-2023a 42.JPG
08-04-2023a 43.JPG
08-04-2023a 44.JPG
08-04-2023a 45.JPG
08-04-2023a 46.JPG
08-04-2023a 47.JPG
08-04-2023a 48.JPG
08-04-2023a 49.JPG
Once I reached the Villa I realised that I was almost all there having backed up most of the key species as well as picking up some even better shots than before of some of them. As I was sipping a much needed fresh brew of coffee my dad called me out to the pool as a Scarce Swallowtail had landed in the vegetation around the side. As I went down the side steps to the pool terrace a Painted Lady flew off down the hill and so with its sighting and the subsequent Scarce Swallowtail I had almost the complete set of sightings. I then set about finishing up the almost complete set (blooming Eastern Dappled White!) of shots which meant plenty of leaning over the fence from the edge of the terrace or standing on tip toes to try and get my lens within range of the Swallowtail. Luckily the butterfly must have realised what I was doing and a couple of times it flew in and settled close to me so I could fill my boots/the memory card with minimal effort. It was quite a fresh one and was complete with dual tails. All in all a fitting end to the trip and my quest to ‘back up and make safe’. However there was still time to make one final foray…
08-04-2023a 50.JPG
08-04-2023a 51.JPG
08-04-2023a 52.JPG
08-04-2023a 53.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

A definite :mrgreen: for all those, Wurzel - great to see exotic Orange Tips doing ordinary Orange Tip things. :) However, you deserve another :mrgreen: at least for those fabulous Festoons. What a lovely set of species they are. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It was interesting to see the exotic behaving in a similar fashion to out natives 8) The Festoons made the trip for me I think - an outrageous looking butterfly :D 8)

Castle Hill Country Park 11-08-2023

After a very hectic few days spent tramping endlessly round Shipton and Perham nd racking up an impressive number of Brostreak sightings it felt like time for a bit of a change of scene and a bit of a break from the Brostreaks, even though you can never have too much of a good thing I didn’t want to ‘spoil’ them. So instead we met up with my sister in-law so L could spend some time with her cousins. It just so happened that the meet up was to be at Castle Hill Country Park on the other side of Salisbury. This was a new site for me so I took my camera just in case there would be any opportunities to slip away for 5 minutes or so.

We started off at the Greenacres School end and whilst the girls checked out the park and filmed Tick-Tocks (is this a real thing?) I took a quick stroll around the first field so as to stay in sight of the picnic benches. The area was a riot of tall straw coloured grasses with pockets of yellow and purple and smaller scrapes where the flowering plants got a look in over the grasses. AT the first of these scrapes I watched 3 Brown Argus ganging up on a Common Blue. Once their larger cousin was seen off they turned and started tearing chunks out of each other whilst multiple Meadow Browns would perch just long enough for me to make an approach before flying off. As I followed the track on my way to the gate at the far end there were plenty more Meadow Browns as well as a fair few Brown Argus and Common Blues. I paused at a stand of Buddleia at the foot of which was a Brown Argus with a Peacock up top and a Brimstone shot past wind assisted. Once I reached the Gate I took the path to the right at it followed the line of the boundary hedge. There seemed to be a good mix of shrubs and small trees in amid the Briar and blackthorn and the vegetation at the lower level was holding plenty of butterflies. A Holly Blue flitted by in Hairstreak fashion and I was soon enjoying the antics of a Small Copper and a brace of Brown Argus. The Common Blues were a tad more difficult and I put their antisocial-ness down to either their immaturity (they all looked very fresh) or the fact that they didn’t want to hang about and get clobbered by the Brown Argus! I realised that I’d been gone for 5 of my allotted 10 minutes and so I sought my return route back to the starting place. Luckily there was a wide, tarmacked path running all the way back to the park and so I followed it’s topping to do the various exercise (sit-ups, pull-ups etc.) along the way. There were plenty of butterflies, mainly Whites and Meadow Browns, on this return leg but they all kept out in the middle of the field so I couldn’t get any of them onto the memory card.
11-08-2023 1.JPG
11-08-2023 2.JPG
11-08-2023 3.JPG
11-08-2023 4.JPG
Once I got back to the park I found that the ladies had gone off up the hill into the Country Park proper and so after checking that the girls were okay I set off to catch-up with them. I went along the path I’d originally started on but went through the gate and up the hill, which had a series of trackways running along the side of it, a little like terraces cutting into the slope. I followed a female Wall but alas she went down and deep into the grass, possibly egg laying although it was difficult to tell what she was doing and impossible to get any shots. As I straightened up I spotted some Creeping Thistles at the edge of the boundary hedge of Blackthorn; “I bet there could be Brostreaks here” I mused, not really believing it. I bumped into the ladies and we made our back down the hill but before we reached the main field I paused at a large Buddleia bush. It was doing what it did best and pulling in plenty of butterflies and a quick walk around it produced a Red Admiral, 4 Brimstones and 3 Peacocks.
11-08-2023 5.JPG
11-08-2023 6.JPG
11-08-2023 7.JPG
Once back at the park we found some shade offered by the metal fence of the football/basketball court and settled down for lunch. I don’t know if it was the walking or the exercise but I was ravenous and my lunch disappeared in short order. While everyone was letting their lunch go down I made my way around the back of the court to the Saunders Ave end of the site. A Red Admiral caught my attention as it fed down low, a Hedgie shot past as did a Meadow Brown whilst the Holly Blue was slower but equally difficult to follow as it flew erratically along the upper echelons of the vegetation that had offered us our lunch time shade. As I wove my way through the tangled jungle of Bramble and waist high grasses I made a point of checking every stand of Creeping Thistle, more out of habit than anything and with absolutely no expectations. Yet there on one was a very familiar looking silhouette – blow me a Brostreak!
11-08-2023 8.JPG
11-08-2023 9.JPG
After these few record shots it flew off so I carried on to the next largish clump of CT and there it was again and so I followed it once more as it hopped from one flower head to the next. At one point it flew back to a similar area to where it had started but slightly further down the slope but again I managed to relocate it. In fact at one point I headed back to check in and then headed back again. This time get right onto it straight away and spent the remaining time with it. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to relocate and also (and more to the point) that it’s actually here.
11-08-2023 10.JPG
11-08-2023 11.JPG
11-08-2023 12.JPG
11-08-2023 13.JPG
11-08-2023 14.JPG
11-08-2023 15.JPG
11-08-2023 16.JPG
11-08-2023 17.JPG
Chuffed I clawed my way back through briar and tall grasses to the others and still in a slightly dazed state I drove us home. Definitely worth a return visit next year.
No expectations
Just a quick trip to the park
Boom! There’s a Brostreak!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As we're only a couple of weeks away now...COMING SOON!!
Calendar 2024.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shot of the Meadow Brown Wurzel, they usually don't seem to get many good looking shots, they're mostly in long grass :D
Love the 2024 shot :D longest day to come 21st December, Have a Great Christmas Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D The Meadow Brown does get overlooked a fair bit but it also doesn't help itslef with the annoying habit of (usually) sitting deep within the grass :roll: :wink:

Shipton Bellinger 16-08-2023

I arrived a little early and started off working my way through the enclosure and round to the Nettle Bed. It was very quiet with only the odd Meadow Brown stirring as my boots brushed against the grasses which set them off. A few Hedgies were basking in the early morning sun, trying to warm up and ease themselves out of the chill from the night before whilst the Whites and Brimstones were already pretty active. Once I’d seen pretty much all that was to be seen here I ended up working my way up the Main Hedge and I was all alone, not a single other person in sight for as far as the eye could see, with the only noises being the birds and the scritching of my boots and with the sun on my back it was blissful. My perusal of the Main Hedge produced a slightly tired looking Small Copper up near this years ‘Hotspot’ and there were also a few more Whites as well as the Holly Blues which were just starting to wake up. I kept on going, up the rise and worked my way into and round and out of the various largish scallops at the top of the hill. By now a few Common Blues and Brown Argus had joined the fray as it were as well as the Walls. The first one that I saw was a male and very active and the second was a female and she was much less so. In fact she sat nicely for me on a yellow flower which made a nice change.
16-08-2023 1.JPG
16-08-2023 2.JPG
16-08-2023 3.JPG
16-08-2023 4.JPG
16-08-2023 5.JPG
16-08-2023 6.JPG
The final scallop into the dual hedges is more of a little path which splits in two, the left hand branch runs straight and onto the main path along the top whilst the right hand one doubles back on itself before joining the main track in a miniscule clearing of sorts. As I reached the point when the right hand path joined the main track I spotted a male Brostreak sitting on a Bramble leaf. It looked in great nick for the time of year and so I readied my camera and got a couple of record shots with the intent of getting in and getting plenty more close-ups. It was at this point that a Mountain Biker came taring along the hedge, almost careered into me and knocked into the edge of the hedge. The vibration was transferred and amplified through the foliage until it reached the leaf upon which the Brostreak was perched…and then it wasn’t. I pulled myself up out of the other hedge, saw that the Brostreak was gone and cursed the biker with a few very choice phrases which I wouldn’t like to repeat. I hung about hoping that the Brostreak would return but it didn’t come back…
16-08-2023 7.JPG
Disconsolately I started on the return leg and taking the broad path which was open on one side to the Down from whence you could see all the way to the village itself. I was joined on the way by a fly-by DGF and I enjoyed a few more encounters with the local Walls. These were generally hanging around the criss-cross of tracks at the top of the rise where they used the tracks as patrol routes come territorial borders come basking spots. When I’d managed to get down the grassy route to the bottom of the hill without turning an ankle I bumped into another photographer who turned out to be VJay from The-Book-Of-Face and he very kindly put me onto a pair of Common Blue who were very engrossed in each other. Further along the Hedge we caught up with Graham who was having similar luck to me but had seen a Cloudy flying by not 5 minutes before I arrived on the scene, so I’d just missed my 50th species for the year 
16-08-2023 8.JPG
16-08-2023 9.JPG
The day was not going well – a prime butterfly spooked and an opportunity to each my year’s goal missed! I sought solace in the form of caffeine and so ended up back in the car. While I sipped my coffee I stared out across the large, roughly triangular field hemmed on two sides by the road and the back of the Main Hedge. Amidst the swaying straw coloured grasses the were pockets and patches of yellow flowers that seemed to be begging out for a Cloudy…so I resolved to seek check out the likely looking areas and walk the whole site if I had to in order to find a Cloudy. I started with the field itself and zig-zagged across it forwards and back with no luck. I then checked through the enclosure and skirted round the Nettle Patch, but the only butterflies of note here were a Silver-washed and Holly Blue in amongst several Brimstones. From here I worked up the Main Hedge, across the field and down the main track with only a Common Blue or two standing out from the masses of Whites which unfortunately didn’t number a single Cloudy among them. There was a high Brostreak that was fluttering high up across the main track around the Master Ash, which does seem to be clinging on despite the best efforts of Chalara. The twin track held a few Specklies and a there was a Wall right at the end but not the hoped for flash of mustard yellow. I then worked back across the field from one side to the Main Hedge side and all the way back round to the Nettle Bed. To be fair I’d put the work in so I was due a bit of luck but there wasn’t a canary coloured butterfly in payment and I had to settle for the usual bits and bobs.
16-08-2023 10.JPG
16-08-2023 11.JPG
16-08-2023 12.JPG
16-08-2023 13.JPG
Around at the Nettle Bed I discovered Graham and Vjay and so I decided to join them in looking for Brostreaks so as to give my aching feet a bit of a rest. A battered one showed up quite quickly once we’d settled and it seemed quite happy to sit on the scant reserves of Creeping Thistle a little way into the Nettle Bed. It reminded me of Two-face from the DC Comics; one side was typical tired looking male Brostreak and the other was ravaged and torn. The one advantage of the damage to the wing on one side was that when it was backlit the light shining through was quite attractive. Shortly after this Grahame found another on the other side of the Nettle Beds and this one was just as tired and worn looking but in a much better state of repair. It too sat nicely for us in various spots and poses as we clicked away, the reward for all those miles I tramped around the site.
16-08-2023 14.JPG
16-08-2023 15.JPG
16-08-2023 16.JPG
16-08-2023 17.JPG
16-08-2023 18.JPG
16-08-2023 19.JPG
We went round a few more times and on the final pass we watched another fly right into the middle of the Nettle Bed but I didn’t count it as a third as it seemed to come from the same direction as the second that we’d seen. Once more we ended up in the Nettle Bed where we were joined by a Common Blue, a Peacock and also a Brown Argus – which made a nice break from the monoculture of Brostreaks ;-) and then we ventured along the narrow path, stopping to watch a female fly up high but not come down and instead of a lovely fresh female we were treated to half a male Brostreak at the far end which Ole Hooky had frequented previously. This one was so obviously different that finally I could count a definite ‘third’ and it was followed up quite quickly by a fourth Brostreak once we’d worked ourselves back into the Nettle Bed. At the time I wasn’t sure if it was a different one but the markings (nicks and tears) looked different from the others when I checked the shots back later that evening/week.
16-08-2023 20.JPG
16-08-2023 21.JPG
16-08-2023 22.JPG
16-08-2023 23.JPG
With that Grahame and Vjay made a move and I wandered back through the enclosure to the car. So four males and only a glimpse of a female – possibly time to knock it on the head here for another year? Maybe…or maybe one last try for females egg laying should be on the cards?
Again to Shipton
For tired and battered males
Where are the ladies?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Saturday 8th April - The Last Full Day, the last trip

With lunch eaten and a quick catch up with the family I set about starting to sort things out ready for our departure the following morning. As part of the packing and clearing before we had to leave someone needed to carry the rubbish/recycling bags down to the skips. I volunteered of course and so off I trotted with camera swung over one shoulder and clutching bags in each hand. With the rubbish and recycling dutifully dispatched I made my way further down the road, round a few twists and turns and the odd hairpin bend to the EDW spot. Along the butterflies tripped past, spilling over the walls and flowing down the hill – mainly Cleopatras and Whites but there was the occasional Wall and at least one Large Tort. I walked up the little driveway and had a look see around – straight off the bat I spotted a small Blue butterfly. There was something about the colour that made me second guess its identification. I assumed at first that it was a Green-underside but the colour of the dusting seemed more blue than green-turquoise and there seemed to be ‘streaks’ running down the wings. I was left wondering if it could have been a Mazarine Blue (very early?), Small Blue (quite early?) or it was ‘just’ :wink: a Green-underside?
08-04-2023 54.JPG
08-04-2023 55.JPG
I didn’t have long to muse over which is was as it was swiftly followed by a very late first for the trip in the form of a Small Copper. Whilst it was a nice addition it didn’t seem as impressive as some of the other sightings that I’d enjoyed over the previous few hours, though looking back on it now, the blue badges made it much more impressive than I originally gave it credit for. Also here were various of the whites which passed through too quickly or didn’t stop for long enough. I was fairly convinced that I saw Southern/Small White as well as some Brimstones and an Eastern Dappled. More colour was provided by a Painted Lady and Cloudy, the latter of which actually proved more congenial and photographable.
08-04-2023 56.JPG
08-04-2023 57.JPG
08-04-2023 58.JPG
As I climbed back up and looked along the retaining wall of the property that overlooked this cutting a Scarce Swallowtail hung off the flowers and a battered Red Admiral basked for possibly the last time in its life. Cleopatras joined my on my final walk up the hill and a Wall waved goodbye as I closed the gates behind me and headed in to pack and enjoy the final supper.
08-04-2023 59.JPG
08-04-2023 60.JPG
That evening I stood on the balcony and sipped my beer while the crickets started and the Scops Owl joined in…brilliant! I ruminated on how the trip had gone – surprisingly well! My initial pessimism was entirely misplaced and despite a final tally that was lower than usual for a family foreign trip I still had a healthy proportion of ‘lifers’ some of which it would be impossible to see later in the year. In fact when I got back I found that I’d done even better than expected as the Greccian Coppers didn’t fly until a fortnight later so I would have missed those anyway plus we’d just happened to have picked the one mountain side in the whole of Corfu where the EOT flies! :shock: Early season visits are definitely something I'll be considering in a few years time when hopefully I’ll have more time, money and fewer restrictions. :wink:
08-04-2023 61.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, if you ever get up to the Lake district ,go up the hill to Arnside Knott , people say the Scotch Argus is a rarity there but I found them every time I went, they don't seem to like the top of the knott, I always kept to the lower part, there's a path goes along through a gate in the parking area, I've found them all along the slopes to the path, also the High Brown are there but on the lower fields where there's lots of Ferns growing, just a thought, great view as well from the car park of the Lake District :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”