Chequered Skipper, Glen Loy early June.

Jack Harrison

Chequered Skipper, Glen Loy early June.

Post by Jack Harrison »

I can manage that as a day trip and that avoids staying away over-night (which I don't like doing on my own at my age).

Anyone else with thoughts of going?

Inverskilavulin bridge NN125831 and along the roadside and beside the river further up the valley.

Good chance also Small PB Frit and Green Hairstreak.

Attached map a little blurred but fine if clicked to eanlarge.

Jack
Attachments
Glen Loy.jpg
bugboy

Re: Chequered Skipper, Glen Loy early June.

Post by bugboy »

Follow the road as far as it goes along the glen and you might get scotica Large Heath too.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I had a few fresh scotica Large Heath a few years ago (2016 I think) in early June, but they did have an uncommonly warm spell of weather end of May into ealy June up there that year. They were on the other side of the track from the river, opposite a good Chequered Skipper spot near to the end of the track. Also good number of SPBF and Green Hairstreak.

Cheers,

Neil.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Glen Loy Chequered Skipper is mentioned in a wildlife leaflet, so it's not confidential.

As I explained, I am planning a day-return trip from my home near Nairn.  Spean Bridge would be closer.  However, the two or three times I have been to Spean Bridge were unsuccessful.  I was searching along the minor road that runs eastwards from the railway station, but maybe that was not the right location, even though the habitat close to the River Spean looked ideal.

Ideas?

The Bridge Cafe just west of the main road junction in Spean Bridge is a good lunch stop!

For those with interests other than butterflies, the Parallel Roads (old lake shores) in Glen Roy (not to be confused with Glen Loy!) to the northeast of Roybridge are worth a visit/view. Roybridge is about 3 miles east of Spean Bridge.

Jack

Return to “Chequered Skipper”