Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5

Week 5 already?! That must mean that the new season is on the distant horizon, Xmas is closer and the Winter Social (25th November – The Old Forge, Otterbourne) is just round the corner.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Essex Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Essex Skipper

This was taken back in the wonderfully warm moth of July and I’m hoping that writing about from that time will imbue me with some of its warmth as I sit here typing and freezing! I chose this shot as it was one for my ‘in the hand collection’. These type of shots generally come about when I’m moving a butterfly to somewhere a little safer, in this instance from the main drag of the Rounders pitch to the edge of the field and the relative safety from trampling under year 10’s feet.
ES 5 05-07-2023 9.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Though as usual the Essex Skippers outnumbered the Smalls on my local patch (and emerged and then finished a week later than them - both had a season lasting not much more than a month this year), and numbers weren't too bad either, my favourite butterflies came from Hadleigh Country Park in their Essex heartland. I was on my annual trip to see the WLH, and always count on seeing lots of Essex Skippers as well - which proved to be an accurate assumption in 2023. They were a couple of heavily-marked individuals, one female and one male...
ES7 260623.JPG
ES9 260623.JPG
...and the view from where they were seen.
Hadleigh Castle 260623.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Essex Skippers had a good if rather short season in 2023 with large numbers seen at all the local spots where they occur. As usual, exact number were hard to determine due to the numbers flying but at peak they appeared to outnumber the Small Skippers, especially at my local spot by Wagon Lane.
Essex Skipper male - Wagon Lane 06.07.2023
Essex Skipper male - Blythe Valley 19.07.2023
Essex Skipper male - Blythe Valley 19.07.2023
Cheers,

Neil.
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

One from a nature reserve in suburban Surrey in mid-July. The accompanying hoverfly is I think one of the Spaerophoria genus, and so far as I can judge the abdomen looks like it would extend well beyond the wings when closed, which indicates the common species S. scripta.
P7160486_A.jpg
And one from a couple of days later, taken at a local park in SW London, displaying its unambiguous Essex credentials.
P7180645_A.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A pair of in-cop Essex Skippers still eludes me ! Hopes were once again raised when i noted two Skipper pairs ........both Small ,
....................maybe next season ! I did note reasonable numbers of Essex locally ,but must admit i never spent too much time sorting through them all .
Allan.W.
P1200919.JPG
P1200402.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Easy one for me - I only took this single image of lineola in 2023, at Swellshill Bank, Gloucestershire, on 23rd July:
23.EssexSk(1).jpg
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

From the heartland of Essex Skipper territory are a few examples of this wonderful insect from various locations within the flood plain of the River Chelmer. Thankfully numbers seem to be stable with some of the colonies in the 100s despite the less than optimal grasssland management for the species.
A couple of males from 2 sites on Baddow Meads
Essex Skipper m 03/07/2023 Chelmer Road Bridge
Essex Skipper m 03/07/2023 Chelmer Road Bridge
Essex Skipper m 03/07/2023 Baddow Meads
Essex Skipper m 03/07/2023 Baddow Meads
And a female from Yeomanry Way
Essex Skipper f 03/07/2023 Yeomanry Way
Essex Skipper f 03/07/2023 Yeomanry Way
and then, one of the reasons I love them - they seem to present an angry face when I am kneeling down under them to confirm an identification
Essex Skipper 25/06/2023 Yeomanry Way
Essex Skipper 25/06/2023 Yeomanry Way
Essex Skipper 17/07/2023 Newland Grove NR
Essex Skipper 17/07/2023 Newland Grove NR
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I normally try and see the season debut of these during one of my trips into Essex, it just seems the right thing to do! However I was over the other side of the country this year when the first one popped up in front of me. I'd spent the morning with copious amounts of Large Blue so it was already a very memorable day, but I spent the afternoon strolling along one of the waterways running through Stroud when this one showed up
Essex Skipper male, Stroudwater navigation.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Essex Skipper”