October 2023

Discussion forum for sightings.
millerd

Re: October 2023

Post by millerd »

During another very brief sunny spell in my part of the world today (there were a few of these between showers, but almost all barely long enough to get your boots on), I had a look at one of the remaining local ivy patches. There was a Red Admiral, plus perhaps more surprisingly three Holly Blues.

Two were high up and difficult to get a shot of - but at least they sat together nose to tail.
HB2 211023.JPG
The other one started off near the top of the ivy as well...
HB3 211023.JPG
...but suddenly came down and basked for a few moments in a slightly more accessible spot.
HB1 211023.JPG
What I noticed about this quite fresh female was that the black markings were more typical of a spring brood individual, not a summer brood one.

Also seen were a familiar Small Copper and a very faded Peacock.

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

22nd October, Logie Steading (near Forres, Moray) car park Two Red Admirals.
Nothing unusual about seeing Red Admirals this autumn, but it was only 8.5C albeit bright sunshine, today

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:09 pm...What I noticed about this quite fresh female was that the black markings were more typical of a spring brood individual, not a summer brood one.
What a beautiful individual. :mrgreen: We've started to get additional brood Common Blues round here. I'd very much like Hollies to follow suit!
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 22nd, Park Wood, Gower:

Red Admiral 10
Speckled Wood 1
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:12 pm What a beautiful individual. :mrgreen: We've started to get additional brood Common Blues round here. I'd very much like Hollies to follow suit!
Thank you, David - she was rather a lovely thing to find. :) I seem to remember that you have a couple of excellent Holly Blue sites near you - the way things are going, you'd expect them to start generating a third brood before very long.

There were more Hollies today, though none to rival that one. It was sunshine almost from dawn to dusk here today, though not as warm as the last few days. However, it meant that looking for what might be flying was a much more relaxed pursuit, and there was plenty to see as we move into what is technically the second half of Autumn. I counted 40 butterflies, with eight species being represented - easily the best return I've recorded so late in the year. I'll go into more detail in my PD before too long, but here's the rundown for now:

Red Admiral 10
Small White 10
Speckled Wood 6
Peacock 4
Holly Blue 3
Common Blue 3
Brown Argus 3
Small Copper 1

A couple of Holly Blues to be going on with...
HB1 221023.JPG
HB2 221023.JPG
...a Common Blue from an uncommon angle...
CB2 221023.JPG
...a Brown Argus (I don't recall seeing them so late)...
BA1 221023.JPG
...a Peacock that should be hibernating...
PK1 221023.JPG
...and a strongly-marked fresh male Small White annoyingly wedged down in the grass. One day, one of these will be a slightly different species... :)
SW1 221023.JPG
Small Whites seem to be still emerging - at this rate there will be no chrysalids left for next spring.

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Dave (Miller) your Holly Blues bring on a wave of nostalgia. They don't occur up here in north Scotland and to be honest (as I near my 85th birthday) my travelling days are over. Holly Blue was always one of my favourites when I grew up in east Norfolk - we're talking about the best part of 80 years since I first came across one!

My much fitter (and slightly younger) wife Stella, just back from a walk, saw a definite Peacock and a probable Red Admiral - not bad in a temperature of 8C.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:37 pmOne day, one of these will be a slightly different species...
That looks abnormally well marked for a Small White, Dave. I don't suppose you managed an underside?
David M

Post by David M »

Monday 23rd, Woodland behind Gower Inn, Parkmill:

Red Admiral 6
millerd

Post by millerd »

Jack Harrison wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:13 pm ...Holly Blue was always one of my favourites when I grew up in east Norfolk...
Jack
Quite possibly my favourite now, Jack. I still get a buzz from seeing fresh ones (though I must have seen hundreds over the years).
David M wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:05 pm That looks abnormally well marked for a Small White, Dave. I don't suppose you managed an underside?
Unfortunately not, David. I followed this individual for a while as it decided whether to stop and nectar or not, and for some reason when it ran out of steam it found a niche in the grass to bask in semi-shade for a bit. When it emerged from what was presumably a warm spot, it sailed off beyond my ability to follow it.

I suspect the most likely answer is the correct one and it was just a Small White, but I do think perhaps those of us in the Southeast should spend more time scrutinising this species during the periods when other migrants are around - just in case. The 100% certain discovery of a new species on UK soil would probably overshadow the sightings of any number of Long-tailed Blues!

This one was very fresh (the fringes are whole and the markings crisp), so either it had emerged locally or it was a recent arrival from the near continent brought in on the consistent southerly/southeasterly winds of the last week. There have been more around than is usual for the time of year, certainly. More questions than answers I'm afraid!

Cheers,

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Holly Blue was always one of my favourites when I grew up in east Norfolk.
When I became 'self-propelled' as a teenager (bike) I got to know all the best spots for Holly Blues in south-east Norfolk and north-east Suffolk.  Many were in churchyards, about the only time in my life I have taken any (positive!) interest in religion :twisted:

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:20 pmI suspect the most likely answer is the correct one and it was just a Small White, but I do think perhaps those of us in the Southeast should spend more time scrutinising this species during the periods when other migrants are around - just in case. The 100% certain discovery of a new species on UK soil would probably overshadow the sightings of any number of Long-tailed Blues!
It may be worth carrying a plastic vial with you, Dave (which I generally do on my foreign tours). In order to definitively prove the first sighting of a species on UK soil (especially one like mannii which is so similar to another, more common species), I believe only a live specimen would be sufficient for 100% acceptance.
David M

Post by David M »

Jim Gibbs, aka Medard, has asked me to post this image of a Red Admiral seen on the wall of his house yesterday.

He is unable to access the forums at the moment for reasons unknown.
Medard.jpg
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

I believe only a live specimen would be sufficient for 100% acceptance.
Is that true? Seems very outdated in the 21st Century world of Digital Photos...especially if multi-observed
(Single observer records can always be considered a bit duff)
If its good enough for birds surely good enough for Insects too?
David M

Post by David M »

Hi, Jason. If you are a birder you will probably know about this:
IMG-20231021-WA0001.jpg
This was the first Western Olivaceous Warbler ever recorded in the UK, found by John Lowrie Irvine on Whalsay, Shetland, a few days ago.

That also happens to be where my friend and colleague Jon Dunn lives, so the image above is one he took soon after learning about the find.

Given the strong similarities to Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, the bird had to be caught in order to fully establish its identity.

Full story here: https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2023/10 ... in-whalsay
millerd

Post by millerd »

After yesterday's rather dull day, a sunny afternoon today lured me out again. Fewer butterflies, but still eight species flying locally. They included some notable sights considering the date, such as a new male Green-veined White making a change from all the Small ones seen lately.
GVW1 241023.JPG
A single fresh female Small White was seen as well, with no doubt about this one's identity.
SW1 241023.JPG
SW3 241023.JPG
Out of four Common Blues seen, two were looking ragged, but this male wasn't bad at all...
CB2 241023.JPG
...and this female was pristine.
CB3 241023.JPG
CB5 241023.JPG
Looking in vain for a male Small Copper I had seen regularly in a particular spot, instead I managed a fleeting encounter with a brand new blue-badge female.
SC1 241023.JPG
I squeezed off just this one shot before she was off, and not being territorial like the males she was unlikely to return to the same spot: I certainly didn't come across her again.

October continues to impress, with another (albeit small) set of newly-emerged butterflies. :)

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello David ,
Just seen your post re; Shetland warbler and your friend/colleague Jon Dunn .A couple of seasons back i had a very early morning visit to a local woodland to photograph Orchids and a rare moth . As i strolled along i came across a VERY unusual Orchid ,just to the side of a small woodland path
the best i could come up with was a hybrid of some description ,with one parent probably a Greater Butterfly .i sent a few pictures to the Kent BSBI
recorder ,and he reckoned that it was a " Green " Greater Butterfly,something that he hadn,t heard of ,or seen before .
A couple of weeks after stumbling across this plant ,i happened to be flicking through a few "Twitter" pages including Jon Dunns ,looking through his page i noticed that he,d been down in Kent (from Shetland !!)on an Orchid hunt , about a week before my plant find .........and you,ve guessed it ! found the self same plant but about a week before me !
If you do happen to speak to him he may be interested to know , that it flowered again this season.
Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Allan. I will pass that message on to Jon.
David M

Post by David M »

Tuesday 25th - Three Red Admirals active in a sunny, sheltered area at the back of the gym car park on my estate near Parkmill, Gower.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks David ! Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

No worries, Allan. 8)

Return to “Sightings”