Urgent ID needed

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Pauline

Urgent ID needed

Post by Pauline »

Please can anyone help? I planted a young Walnut tree last year and the new leaves are being totally destroyed by this larva? It will have to be removed as of now (the tree was very expensive!) but I'd like to give the creature a chance. Can anyone tell from these poor shots (taken from different angles), the time of year, and the fact it was on Walnut, what it might be and what else it might eat. It is probably a little over 2" long? Advice would be really appreciated.
P1100140d.jpg
P1100137d.jpg
Chris L

Re: Urgent ID needed

Post by Chris L »

It looks like a Twiglet to me Pauline. I hope that helps :)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well I'm definitely not going to eat it Otep!!! :lol: The best I can come up with is perhaps Pale Brindled Beauty but given my track record in identifying actual moths I have no confidence in that. Appreciate your swift response tho' :) . I have put it on some Willow but still hoping someone more knowledgeable than me might have a better idea.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A geometer of some sort Pauline but many of these caterpillars look very similar. Given that many of these feed on a wide variety of trees and shrubs I would give it a choice of hawthorn, blackthorn, sallow, oak, etc and see if it picks any of these.
Sorry I can't be of any more help, perhaps one of the experts can narrow it down.

Cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Neil. I have spent a little time trying to ID but as you say, they are all very similar. I haven't got enough time to watch it or keep it captive (interesting as that might have been) so I put it on Sallow in the garden (well away from my precious Walnut). I have all of the trees you mention within reach of the Sallow so hopefully it will survive. Thank you for your suggestions.

Return to “Identification”