Greenwings: Andalusia, Spain, 1-9 May 2023

David M

Re: Greenwings: Andalusia, Spain, 1-9 May 2023

Post by David M »

Andy02 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:35 amGreat read David. Your experience matches mine. I have never experienced such a contrast in seasons comparing last May with this. Last spring , no skippers , gatekeepers, and only Green Hairstreak in coastal Andalusia. This spring , dozens on skippers of the species you list , clouds of Spanish gatekeeper, and fresh False ilex , and Blue spot Hairstreak in the first week of May
Thanks, Andy. We've seen both ends of the spectrum these last two years. Going forward, I hope we will encounter something 'in-between'.
BarrieS

Post by BarrieS »

This looks to be a great trip David as I expected, with plenty of quality species, particularly the blues. I counted 13 new species if the excuse for Provence Hairstreak counted. I can't believe some of your guests were rejoicing over that specimen. Hopefully you'll be running the tour again in the future and I'll have the opportunity to join you and catch up with some of those goodies. Were there any spices you'd hoped for and didn't see apart from the Plain Tiger? It looks like you had some good birds too.
Cheers
Barrie
David M

Post by David M »

Will certainly be doing the tour again, Barrie.

The only minor disappointments were not finding Two Tailed Pasha & Portuguese Dappled White. As for Plain Tiger, they generally are not around until the latter half of summer so that one would have been unexpected.

Good numbers of Common Tiger Blue, Desert Orange Tip, Spanish & Aetherie Fritillary and Monarchs were amongst the highlights (as well as the surprise Zephyr Blues).
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Thanks as ever for the write up David. It was a thoroughly enjoyable 10 days wasn't it. Especially the Aetherie Fritillary and Spanish Fritillary sites, and of course the surprise Spanish Zephyr Blue and Provence Hairstreak!
David M

Post by David M »

Sure was a good trip, Paul. There's nowhere better in Europe at that time of year.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

David M wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:40 pm Sure was a good trip, Paul. There's nowhere better in Europe at that time of year.
I'd have to agree Mr Moore! 8)

Return to “Trip Reports”