South Africa diary

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: South Africa diary

Post by David M »

I had always thought seeing evagore in Spain was something special, but to see several even more striking members of this genus is simply off the scale.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

hello everyone,

Thanks for your reply David. I find it truly fascinating that some of these species I've been seeing have such a wide range. I had no idea that evagore occurs as far north as Spain, so thank you for bring this to my attention.

I'm going to return to the Nymphalidae and the the subfamily Heliconiiae, with the genus Acraea being the most numerous in this subfamily. These are commonly known as the Bitter Acraeas and are brightly coloured small to medium sized butterflies which can be seen all year round, but with peak numbers through the spring, summer and autumn months. Many species are very eye catching due to their bright and vivid colour schemes and admirers new to these species will usually be very excited to lay eyes on them for the first time. Poisonous to most predators, Acraeas usually have a beautiful slow and gliding flight, seemingly moving without a care in the world. However, if they are disturbed theses butterflies can put on a rapid turn of speed and leave the vicinity extremely fast.

The second commonly encountered genus are the Telchinias, a very similar looking group of butterflies but usually smaller than the Acraeas. This last season 22/23 was a bumper year for the Dancing Telchinia/Dancing Amber - Telchinia serena and many millions of these small orange butterflies were on the wing in the north and east of the country. At the start of the season, back in November I remember being excited to see a couple of specimiens, but by the autumn so many had passed my eyes I wondered if there was no end to them. It will be very interesting to see how the next season plays out for this species.
There are a further three genera in South Africa two of which don't occur on the farm and the other Phalanta - Leopards, which I've mentioned in a previous post under Nymphalidae.

Over the last month there have been some taxon swaps amongst these genera, but at the moment for ease and what I'm used to I will stick to the old names but will also include changes in brackets.
Acraea barberi waterberg acraea 2.JPG
Acraea barberi (Tildia barberi) - Barber's or Waterberg Acraea. Fairly local species to the Waterberg area and surrounds. Very similar to Acraea acara acara which also occurs on the farm but unfortunately no photo yet.
Acraea barberi barbers acraea male.jpg
Acraea barberi (Tildia barberi) - Barber's or Waterberg Acraea - male

Acraea algaonice male clear-spotted acraea.JPG
Acraea algaonice (Stephenia aglaonice) - Clear-spotted Acraea - male
Acraea algaonice male clear-spotted acraea (2).JPG
Acraea algaonice (Stephenia aglaonice) - Clear-spotted Acraea - male
Acraea anemosa male broad boardered acraea.JPG
Acraea anemosa (Tildia anemosa)- Broad bordered Acraea - male
Acraea anemosa male broad boardered acraea (2).JPG
Acraea anemosa (Tildia anemosa)- Broad bordered Acraea - male

Acraea natalica natalica natal acraea female.JPG
Acraea natalica (Stephinia natalica) Natal Acraea - female
Acraea natalica natalica natal acraea female (2).JPG
Acraea natalica (Stephinia natalica) Natal Acraea - female
Acraea neobule neobule wandering donkey acraea 1.JPG
Acraea neobule - Wandering Donkey Acraea
Acraea neobule neobule wandering donkey acraea.JPG
Acraea neobule - Wandering Donkey Acraea
Acraea oncaea roibok acraea.JPG
Acraea oncaea - Roibok Acraea
Telchinia burni Pale-yellow Telchinia (3).jpg
Telchinia burni - Pale-yellow Telchinia
Telchinia burni Pale-yellow Telchinia (4).jpg
Telchinia burni Pale-yellow Telchinia.jpg
Acraea encedon encedonTelchinia encedon encedon White barred telchinia.JPG
Telchinia encedon encedon - White barred telchinia/Common mimic Acraea. Mimic of African Plain Tiger Danaus chrysisppus
Acraea encedon encedonTelchinia encedon encedon White barred telchinia windmill mt..JPG
Telchinia encedon encedon - White barred telchinia/Common mimic Acraea
Acraea eponina eponina dancing acraea (3).JPG
Telchinia serena - Dancing Telchina/Dancing Amber - male
Acraea eponina eponina dancing acraea  (5).JPG
Telchinia serena - Dancing Telchina/Dancing Amber - female (male like form)
Acraea eponina eponina dancing acraea  (8).JPG
Telchinia serena - Dancing Telchina/Dancing Amber - female
Acraea eponina eponina dancing acraea (2).JPG
Telchinia serena - Dancing Telchina/Dancing Amber -female
Acraea eponina eponina dancing acraea g.JPG
Telchinia serena Dancing Telchinia (2).JPG
Telchinia serena dancing telchinia.JPG
Telchinia serena - Dancing Telchina/Dancing Amber

There are a few more species which occur on the farm but which I've not managed to photograph yet. That will be a challenge for the coming season! I will also then write more about each species as i get to know them more intimately.

Regards, Scott
David M

Post by David M »

Charaxes wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:31 pm..I find it truly fascinating that some of these species I've been seeing have such a wide range. I had no idea that evagore occurs as far north as Spain..
It's a relatively recent colonisation, Scott, and on the rare occasions when southern Andalusia has a cold winter they get wiped out only to start afresh the following summer.

Shame there aren't more of the Colotis genus in north Africa as I'm sure they too would find the 9 mile Gibraltar Strait no challenge to cross.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi David, It's interesting that it's a recent colonisation and I wonder if one day this species will get a firm foothold in Spain? I've seen similar distribution extensions in South Africa and read about others and so look forward to see how these develop over time, and also to try and identify the limiting factors to range extension. I suppose for species trying to extend through Europe there is the added challenge of habitat degradation to face, along with the other more normal factors such as cold winters etc. When Evagore reaches the UK it might be hard to argue against climate change!

I'm going to start with the Hesperiids which occur on the farm which is which is quite a numerous group with a few tricky to identify species, and a few more which I think I'm yet to record. A couple of species so far have proved to be very rare/localised with only a couple of specimens spotted up to now. Whether they are as rare as I think still has to be established - they may simply be very specific to certain habitats. A few species I've recorded occur in the lush 'Kloofs' (valleys) of which some are hard to access meaning I haven't spent much time observing in these areas. Others may be on the wing for a very short period and in low numbers so the chance of spotting a specimen is slight. Add to this that quite a few species don't nectar regularly or have a penchant for mud puddling means things get a little more tough. Oh and of course the rapid flight of many skipper species means many chances of an identification are lost due to the butterfly zipping off at high speed never to be seen again.

I'll start with the largest skipper (wingspan up to 70mm) and a very aptly named one - The Two-Pip Policeman (Coeliades pisistratus) which is one of my favourite butterflies on the farm. It's a very familiar species occurring through all habitats, a keen mud puddler and nectar sucker at the right flowers. It's a species full of character exhibiting the exact qualities one is to expect from it's common name. A specimen usually turns up when you least expect it and when you want to see one they are no where to be found! Undoubtedly it's the first butterfly to be on the wing morning time when all others are still roosting. Even on pretty cold mornings Policemen will be seen flitting about before the sun has risen high enough over the hills to fill the valley and warm other butterflies. I expect they can thank their morphology for this added flying time - large and thickset body and good covering of hairs.
Coeliades pisistratus two pip policeman (2).JPG
Coeliades pisistratus - Two-pip Policeman

During the flight season of this species, quite often as soon as I open the kitchen door in the morning a Two-pip Policeman will flit into the house, complete a few careful inspection laps of the kitchen and then leave the way it entered. Rarely will one of these butterflies lose it's way and become disorientated by a window like many other butterfly species might. Rather they seem to have a well ordered beat which they follow and know intimately and I suspect it's the same individuals that arrive morning after morning and inspect the house.
Coeliades pisistratus two pip policeman (3).JPG

Two-pip Policemen are very keen mud puddlers and this situation is probably the best chance to obtain a photograph for the butterfly actually sits still for a while. At other times Policemen are always on the move and photography can be a frustrating affair. I've often chased them around flowering trees hoping for a beautiful image but usual this has ended in failure as they continuously buzz from one flower to the next.
Coeliades pisistratus two pip policeman.JPG

There are six species of Policeman in South Africa and so far I've recorded two on the farm - the Two-pip and Striped, and believe the One-pip Policeman will put in an appearance in the future. Unfortunately photos of the Striped Policeman aren't worth sharing here as the one I saw didn't hang around long enough for a decent portrait.

The White-cloaked Skipper is a truly striking butterfly - bright sparkling white wings edged with fine black lines with deep-orange coloured wing bases and underside of the thorax. This butterfly is never seen in large numbers but at the right time of the year it's not hard to locate a few specimens most days. Rapid whirring flight but easy to identify on the wing due to it's conspicuous markings. White Cloaked Skippers are also keen mud puddlers like the Policemen and can often be found in the vegetable patch or at other damp mud anywhere around the farm. They are also keen on the right flowers and will also be found avidly hill topping. When this species hill tops, males will be seen sitting on prominent twigs, raising their forelegs and exposing their black scent hairs. White Cloaked Skipper larvae feed on Grewia species which is a small and very common species of bush on the farm. I believe in the last twenty years these bushes have increased vastly in number and so potentially there has also been an increase of the skipper population.
Leucochitonea levubu white cloaked skipper.JPG
Leucochitonea levubu - White-cloaked Skipper
Leucochitonea levubu white cloaked skipper (2).JPG
Leucochitonea levubu - White-cloaked Skipper
Leucochitonea levubu white cloaked skipper  and caprona.JPG
Leucochitonea levubu - White-cloaked Skipper with Caprona pillaana - Ragged Skipper

This next species is another beautiful skipper and one of those species which appears to be very rare on the farm. The Spotted Velvet Skipper (Abantis tettenis) is a member of the 'Paradise' Skippers but so far is the only species of the genus I have recorded on the farm. I've only seen three specimens and interestingly each time I spotted this butterfly was directly after a good bout of rain. Whether this was a coincidence I don't know, but they weren't all new individuals so it can be ruled out that rain didn't induce them to emerge. The last specimen I spotted was a pristine individual and absolutely beautiful, with very vivid and bright underside markings of black and orange. Unfortunately however it flew away before I could capture it's beauty on my camera!
Abantis tettenis spotted velvet skipper.JPG
Abantis tettenis - Spotted Velvet Skipper - The only photo I've been lucky enough to get of this species.

TBC. Regards, Scott
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

On the subject of evagore: the North African subspecies nouna has been known from southern Spain since at least the 1960s, as the original Higgins and Riley, which was published in 1970, shows it there. Its range has expanded considerably in recent decades though, reaching as far north as Cataluña. The problem, as David says, is that it doesn't have a real diapause, so a single harsh winter can bring about an almost complete crash in the Spanish population. Visiting Málaga in July 2021, I saw lots of evagore - they were the highpoint of my year. At exactly the same spot in April this year, during a heatwave, I saw just one, despite checking the capers on numerous occasions. It's not much evidence to go on, but I suspect the actual resident population is still very small and that migration seeds most of the breeding populations.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Thanks for the additional information Guy. It's very much appreciated and I look forward to seeing this butterfly in Spain one day. I have a plan to one day drive up Africa, and if that happens it will be nice to know Evagore will be there to keep me company along the way.

The next Hesperiid on the list is the Ragged Skipper (Abantis pillaana), formely known as Caprona pillaana. Since my last post I noticed this butterfly has recently had a taxon swap and now has joined the genus Abantis, commonly referred to as the Paradise Skippers.
Caprona pillaana ragged skipper with brown veined whites Belenois aurota.JPG
Abantis pillaana - Ragged Skipper
Ragged skipper Caprona pillaana (2).jpg

The Ragged Skipper is a common and easily sighted butterfly on the farm often found mud puddling or nectaring on suitable flowers. Early season during the spring and summer many individuals can be found in small groups sucking minerals and salts at wet earth, and then later in the season I've noticed flowers are the preferred place to find this skipper. They have a particular fondness for the Zinnia hybrids which I grow in the garden and even seem to prefer some colours of blooms over others. During courtship, like the White cloaked skipper, scent hairs can clearly be seen from the underside of the male. Interestingly the males also emit a clicking sound while in courtship. Food plants also include the ubiquitous Grewia bushes but also the wild pear (Dombeya rotundifolia) which is a common tree on the farm.
Caprona pillaana - ragged skipper.jpg
Caprona pillaana ragged skipper.JPG
Abantis pillaana - Ragged Skipper male showing scent hairs.

Another very common skipper is the Small Elfin (Sarangesa phidyle), a small mottled brown butterfly very fond of shady places. The Small Elfin shares the genus with another three species in South Africa, one of which I've recorded on the farm and another I'm hoping to find soon. This skipper is often first seen when disturbed by footfalls, and will then rapidly flutter in a series of random directions before alighting, usually on the underside of a rock or at the base of a tree. It's also particularly fond of resting in dark holes such as Warthog burrows or Aardvark excavations and often four or five might be found in one suitable hole. To the unfamiliar the Small Elfin can easily be mistaken for a moth due to its colouration and habit of settling with its wings held open. Upon close inspection the observer will see its a very pretty yet understated butterfly which can vary considerably in its basal colours. Underside a rich orange/yellow rarely seen apart from in flight. Wet and dry season form vary a little with the WSF f. phidyle having slightly darker upper side markings.
sarangesa phidyle small elfin.JPG
sarangesa phidyle f.phidyle Small Elfin WSF
Sarangesa phidyle Small elfin (2).jpg
sarangesa phidyle f.varia Small Elfin DSF
Sarangesa phidyle Small elfin (1).jpg
sarangesa phidyle f.varia Small Elfin DSF

The Forest Elfin (Sarangesa motozi) is the close relative to the previous species and one i have only seen a handful of times. Like the Small Elfin, the Forest Elfin is also found in shady places amongst trees so is very easily missed. Spending much of its time settled in a secretive spot once again the observer usually has to disturb this butterfly to have a chance of seeing it. The easy diagnostic feature is a hyaline discal spot on the hindwing which clearly separates it from other species of the genus. Again wet and dry season forms exist but I've not seen enough specimens yet to photograph both.
Sarangesa motozi - forest elfin.jpg
Sarangesa motozi - Forest Elfin

TBC, regards, Scott
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Another fabulous selection Scott (especially that Two-pip policeman!). I can imagine folk queueing up to see some of the species your farm has to offer. Perhaps one of these days I might see them for myself! In the short term, perhaps a Clouded Yellow hunt?.......
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hello,

Glad you like the skippers Pauline! There are some very special species on the farm and it's been interesting to become more familiar with some of the less common species. There are certainly more to discover and I wouldn't be surprised to come across another ten species over the next few years which is very exciting.
And you are most welcome also to come and see for yourself :) Clouded yellow hunt would also be good also. I'll probably be bound to weekends for the next few weeks because I've had flu the last few days, so at the moment I'm behind with work.

The next Hesperiid found on the farm is a special one indeed. I would say If a fairy was a butterfly then this species may be the one. Delicate, pretty and found dancing in shady and lush places the Netted Sylph (Willema willemi) is a real flying gem. The upper side of this butterfly is fairly dull but the under side is where the beauty is found, a cream coloured base with a net of black veins and bands, and a body brightly coloured with orange and cream. I never tire of seeing this lovely little species and it's pleasing to know numbers are high at the right times of the year. One moment stands in my mind from the previous season - I was admiring a freshly hatched Netted Sylph gently skipping along the road side grass, and while I watched I wondered how long it had been in this new world, when out of nowhere a Robber Fly whipped it away from in front of my eyes. It seemed such a shame this beautiful little creature couldn't have lived and explored more! It was a reminder small tragedies are continuously happening around us but maybe this one was luckier than most and at least will be remembered!

Netted Sylphs are found in the shady valley bottoms and through areas of thicker and damper woodland where their food plant Setaria grows. Many different colonies exist around the farm and where they are found good numbers can usually be guaranteed, particularly towards the and of the summer and into autumn.
Metisella willemi netted sylph (1).JPG
Willema willemi - Netted Sylph
Metisella willemi netted sylph (5).JPG
Metisella willemi netted sylph (3).JPG
Metisella willemi netted sylph (2).JPG

This next species is also a hard to come by. I recently discovered a small area where I believe it could be found regularly, but the other handful of sightings I've had always come as surprise, and are very random in location. The Green-marbled Skipper (Gomalia elma), also known as the Green-marbled Sandman is a speedy flyer and can very easily pass unnoticed. The few times I've seen this species was when an individual was nectaring or warming up first thing in the morning. According to the literature, males set up territories in clear areas amongst bush, so if these can be located a sighing shouldn't be too hard.
Gomalia elma green marbled skipper or sandman.JPG
Gomalia elma - Green-marbled Skipper
Gomalia elma green marbled sandman.JPG
Gomalia elma - Green-marbled Skipper - Can anyone reading this suggest how I orient these photos correctly? I've tried rotating them before attaching but it makes no difference....
Gomalia elma green marbled sandman (2).JPG
Gomalia elma - Green-marbled Skipper

Next comes the Pale Ranger (Dotta callicles), an easy to recognise species from the striking underside markings. This species is another which likes to stick to shady areas under thick tree growth or in the densely vegetated valley bottoms. Settling often on choice perches, it's an easy butterfly to spot thanks to the bright underside colours and is always a joy to see.
Kedestes callicles pale ranger.JPG
Dotta callicles - Pale Ranger. This species is another that has recently had a taxon change - previously was known as Kedestes callicles
Kedestes callicles pale ranger 1.JPG
Dotta callicles - Pale Ranger
Kedestes callicles pale ranger (2).JPG
Dotta callicles - Pale Ranger
skipper habitat.jpg
The sort of habitat where Pale Rangers and Netted Sylphs are to be found - lush valley vegetation

Next instalment coming soon, regards, Scott
David M

Post by David M »

Top notch butterflies again, Scott. Just when I thought you had exhausted most of what was available you come up with this!

The Pale Ranger almost doesn't look real. :mrgreen:
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Thanks David, Glad you are enjoying. The Pale Ranger is a beauty and when I first came across a specimen I was very excited. Having Only seen a few individuals I'm looking forward to getting back and finding more. I have covered most of the species on the farm now, but there are a few more to go - some skippers, browns and finally swallowtails.

I'll Carry on with the skippers and the allies of the Pale Ranger,

The Macomo Ranger is a fairly secretive skipper ranging in heavily vegetated areas often in the shade of trees. Territorial, the male sets up his area often in long grass and will patrol avidly. Females are keen on flowers and can often be seen visiting flowers in the garden. On first sight similar to Morant's Orange (below) but black coloured veins on forewing underside and more heavily dotted hindwing underside identify this species.
Kedestes macomo - macomo ranger (3).jpg
Kedestes macomo - Macomo Ranger
Kedestes macomo - macomo ranger (2).jpg
Kedestes macomo - macomo ranger2.jpg

The Chequered Ranger is a beautiful skipper with a plain orange/yellow underside and as the name suggests a chequered orange upperside. The upperside is easy to confuse with the Macomo Ranger but markings aren't as square and usually cover more of the wing area. This butterfly also hill tops unlike the Macomo Ranger so seen on hilltop ID should be easy. Females aren't as active as males but may be seen on flowers and looking for oviposting sites in heavily vegetated areas.
kedestes lepenula - chequered ranger (2).jpg
Kedestes lepenula - Chequered Ranger
kedestes lepenula - chequered ranger.jpg
Kedestes lepenula - Chequered Ranger

Morant's Orange is a far commoner species on the farm than the previous two skippers. Late season and the vegetable patch is buzzing with these small pretty orange Skippers which are partial to the various flowers. Males are avid hill toppers and may be found anywhere on higher ground but favour tops and also rocky ridge lines. Morant's Orange flies fast and to make an ID can require some patience because seen on the wing this species can't be differentiated from the two previous species.
Parosmodes morantii morantii morants orange (2).JPG
Parosmodes morantii morantii- Morant's Orange
Parosmodes morantii morantii Morant's orange.JPG
Parosmodes moranti moranti - morant's orange.jpg

The next two species, Brown Dodger and Masked Dodger are very difficult if not impossible to tell apart when it comes to the females which are the more commonly seen sex of this species. Males of the two species vary in colouring with the Brown Dodger being a dull brown compared to the yellow/olive of the Masked Dodger and so are fairly easy to differentiate (where their distribution doesn't overlap with a third species, the Yellow Dodger)
Both species are fond mud puddlers and will most likely be seen in this situation, although they may also be found nectaring on the right flowers. larvae feed on various grasses and so females can be searched for in likely oviposition sites where long grass abounds.
Afrogegenes letterstedi brown dodger .jpg
Afrogegenes letterstedi - Brown dodger female
afrogegenes letterstedi - common hottetot.jpg
Afrogegenes letterstedi - Brown dodger female

afrogegenes hottentota - marsh hottetot (2)).jpg
Afrogegenes hottentota - Masked Dodger male
afrogegenes hottentota - marsh hottetot (2).jpg
Afrogegenes hottentota - Masked Dodger female

Next comes the Black-branded swift, a fast flying skipper which is very fond of nectaring. Easily confused with the White-branded swift and some of the other swifts (most don't overlap in theri distributions). Black-branded swifts have seven underside rear wing spots compared to five of the White-branded swift. And then of course their sex brands on the upperside forewings vary in colour. I don't have a good photo of a White-branded Swift so unfortunately we can't compare here. The vegetable patch is full of this species and a good few can always be seen buzzing around the flowers. These butterflies aren't limited to one habitat and can up up all over the farm
pelopidas mathias black banded swift.jpg
Pelopidas mathias mathias - Black-branded swift
Pelopidas mathias mathias black-branded swift.jpg
Pelopidas mathias mathias - Black-branded swift

Similar to the previous species in looks and habits but can be told apart the three spots on the underside of the hindwing. Sexes are similar in this species but female is a little paler. Common everywhere around the farm, larvae feeding on grasses and adults keen on flowers.
Larsenia gemella - Twin swift.jpg
Larsenia gemella - Twin Swift

The Dark Dodger is a very common skipper in the Northern areas of South Africa and is very common on the farm. The underside shows no marked dots but instead some faint white spots blended with the darker ground colour. Males like hill topping but may also set up territories on lowlands.
Gegenes pumilio gambica - Dark hottentot or dark dodger.jpg
Gegenes pumilio gambica - Dark Dodger

Some of the species I have just covered have had very recent taxon swaps which I haven't included here but will do when I write about them in future posts.
In the next post I will cover the Sandmen which are very similar in looks to the European Grizzled Skipper. Fifteen or sixteen species occur in South Africa and like a lot of the skippers this group take a while to become familiar with. I believe in the coming years A few more skippers will be discovered on the farm because looking at distribution maps I don't believe I've seen all there is to be seen.

Regards, Scott
David M

Post by David M »

I never imagined that Skippers would eclipse practically all other butterfly groups, Scott, but those in your latest post (as well as the earlier ones) have demonstrated just what a wonderful group this is.

The Morant's Orange, in particular, is beyond stunning. :mrgreen:
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hello Everyone,

David I fully agree on your comment about the Skippers eclipsing the other butterfly groups. I'm ashamed to say that for years I didn't pay enough attention to them mainly because there were bigger and brighter opportunities available, but having put in more time recently I can say it's been extremely rewarding to discover more about them. With many being so small and fast flying it is a challenge to get to know them but with enough effort each species has slowly become more familiar although I'm still amazed how a few species such as the green marbled skipper and spotted velvet skipper keep such a low profile. Whether they are just very rare on the farm is still to be established and I look forward to finding out more about their life histories and habits.

The next group is another which at first are quite confusing because of their very similar wing patterns but like all butterflies, studied enough, the differences in habits, flight patterns and colouration become more well understood. I'm still by no means an expert but have become fairly familiar with the Sandmen.

The commonest species is the Mountain Sandman - Spialia spio, a beautiful and boldly marked skipper which will quickly become familiar to anyone interested in butterflies for it is to be found all over the farm in all habitats. Most likely the Mountain Sandman will be encountered on wet earth as they are keen mud puddlers but early morning is also a good time to find this species before the sun is too high, while they are still warming for the day ahead. This sandman has become one of my favourite butterflies found on the farm as hardly a day goes by without seeing one, and they posses some 'pluckiness' not seen in other butterflies.
Spialia spio Mountain sandman (1).jpg
Spialia spio - Mountain Sandman
Spialia spio mountain sandman (5).JPG
Spialia spio mountain sandman (2).JPG

The Delagoa Sandman - Spialia delagoae isn't as boldly marked as the previous species and is also found in far lower numbers. So far I've not been able to identify any specific areas to find this skipper although in some areas of the farm it is encountered more than others. Like a lot of the skippers specimens suddenly turn up without warning and then are gone not to be seen again. Fond of wet earth like most of the Sandmen, but also keen on flowers which is a good place to start looking for the species.
Spialia delagoae Delagoa sandman.JPG
Spialia delagoae Delagoa Sandman
Spialia delagoae Delagoa sandman (2).JPG
Spialia delagoae Delagoa Sandman - The continuous white bar on the underside of the hindwing is one of the diagnostic features of this species of Sandman.

The Bushveld Sandman - Spialia colotes transvaaliae is a specialist of the northern savanna parts of South Africa and should be quite common on the farm although so far I haven't confirmed this. A good place to look for this species is around wild hibiscus plants which the larvae feed on. I've noticed it's also a keen nectar sipper and has a penchant for small yellow flowers such as the one pictured. This is another skipper I look forward to learning more about.
spialia colotes transvaaliae - bushveld sandman.jpg
Spialia colotes transvaaliae - Bushveld Sandman

The final Sandman species i've recorded is the Wandering Sandman - Spialia depauperata australis, of which I've only photographed one specimen. Like the previous species I hope to find out more about this butterfly in the future. What I can say is like a lot of these smaller skippers a keen eye is needed to pick it out from the other species. The literature states that small colonies are found scattered through the bush near host plants.
Spialia depauperata australis wandering sandman questo.jpg
Spialia depauperata australis - Wandering Sandman

Along with these species there could be another five occurring on the farm which so far have evaded detection - And this will be something I'll be keenly focused on during the next season.

Next we move onto the subfamily Satyrinae, a group that's represented on the farm pretty sparsely compared to the number of species found throughout the country. As many readers will know, the browns are most commonly found in grassland habitats and although the farm has much grass relatively little of the habitat suits the larger number of the browns found in South Africa.

The most commonly seen species of brown and definetely the most striking is the Twilight Brown - Melanitis leda. As the name suggests, this butterfly is crepuscular and is rarely seen at other times unless disturbed from its resting place. Around the garden is the best place to see Twilight Browns for much of their larval food grows in the area, and of course at this time of the day the observer is often relaxing close to home. When startled this butterfly will flash open it's wings to reveal a pair of ocelli which surprises most predators giving the Twilight Brown enough time to escape. Their cryptic underside coloration is often protection enough to avoid predators in the first place. Even after seeing one of these butterflies settle in the leaf litter it is very hard to locate it.
A beautiful sight to witness is the courtship of a this butterfly. A pair will dance for a long time around the garden closely following each others movements, zipping around each other in a tight sequence, until finally after ten or more minutes both, as if by a pre determines agreement will suddenly rocket skywards at great speed and vanish over the tops of the Jacaranda trees.
Melanitis leda helena twiglight brown.JPG
Melanitis leda helena f.helena - Twilight Brown - WSF
Melanitis leda helena twilight brown.JPG
Melanitis leda helena f. zitenides- Twilight Brown - DSF
Melanitis leda Twilight brown.JPG
Melanitis leda helena f. zitenides- Twilight Brown - DSF
Melanitis leda helena larva.JPG
Melanitis leda helena - Twilight Brown larva
Melanitis leda helena (zitenides) Twilight brown.JPG
Melanitis leda helena f. zitenides - Twilight Brown - DSF

Some more coming soon, Regards, Scott
David M

Post by David M »

That Spialia spio is an exceptional creature, Scott. Makes delagoae seem almost drab in comparison (except for that striking unh band).

Looking forward to seeing the full gamut of Satyrids in your vicinity.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Good morning,

Following on with the Satyrines - David, unfortunately there are very few of these butterflies occuring on the farm but I'll include a very special endemic species which occurs very close by on top of the mountains in the national park.

Probably the most striking and easily recognisable brown found on the farm is the Dark-webbed Ringlet - Physcaeneura panda, whose underwings are decorated with fine black and white striae and edged with a number of orange ocelli centred with iridescent blue scales. Its a very delicately built butterfly and has a corresponding gentle flight amongst grass and low vegetation. The Dark-webbed ringlet is very common around the farm and can be sighted in many localities throughout the season but numbers are higher from late summer into the autumn.

Physcaeneura panda dark webbed ringlet.JPG
Physcaeneura panda - Dark-webbed Ringlet
Physcaeneura panda dark webbed ringlet (2).JPG
Physcaeneura panda - Dark-webbed Ringlet

A seldom seen brown is the Marsh Patroller - Brakefieldia perspicua perspicua, whose name describes this species perfectly. Flying slowly along low road side vegetation with a zigzagging and jinking flight it's an easily recognised butterfly, but one who may leader the photographer for a merry dance for it doesn't settle all that often. With patience though, eventually the fine underside and upper side markings can be appreciated. Bold ocelli on both surfaces are very eye catching and will very likely confuse predators when the closed wings are thrown open to reveal these bright eye spots.
The Marsh Patroller is not a very common butterfly on the farm perhaps because the habitat is not exactly what it prefers but later in the season a few individuals are always seen in heavily grassed areas in the shadier valley bottoms.
Brakefieldia perspicua perspicua marsh patroller.jpg
Brakefieldia perspicua perspicua - Marsh Patroller
Brakefieldia perspicua perspicua -marsh patroller.JPG
Brakefieldia perspicua perspicua - Marsh Patroller

There are two species from the genus Ypthima which occur on the farm - Ypthima impura paupera ( Impure Three-ring) and Ypthima asterope ( African Three-ring) but up until now I haven't been able to obtain open wing shots to verify which is which. Identification is virtually impossible from undersides and to find these butterflies resting with wings open is very difficult. Should the upper sides be seen a double dark line differentiates impura pauera from the single dark marginal line of asterope. These species are common around the farm and can be spotted flying low to the ground with their characteristic jinking weak flight. larvae feed on a range of Poaceae grasses.
Ypthima impura paupera bushveld ringlet (2).JPG
Ypthima species
Ypthima impura paupera bushveld ringlet 3.JPG
Ypthima species
Ypthima impura paupera bushveld ringlet.JPG
Ypthima species

So that covers the few Browns found on the farm and the next species is the endemic Krantzberg Widow -Dingana jerinae found on the high mountain tops of the nearby Marakele National Park on the southern edge of the Waterberg region, a UNESCO biosphere reserve. This species, like a lot of the Widows found in South Africa is extremely localised - a true specialist of the high altitude grasslands. Specimens usually only fly in the morning and to see one is a special treat indeed. Luckily, to reach the spot where these butterflies occur is very easy because many years ago a road was constructed to reach the highest point of the mountain to aid in construction of some radio masts.
Krantzberg widow Dingana jerinae (3).jpg
Waterberg habitat of the Krantzberg Widow.

The Krantzberg Widow is single brooded and only flies in November so the window to see this species is short but reach the area at the right time and specimens are relatively easy to spot. To take a photo is another story for they fly fast and only seem to settle in very inaccessible steep areas near the top of sheer cliffs. When I was last looking for these butterflies the mountain top was alive with various migrating species and it was quite a sight to behold. None were hanging around to have their photo taken but what sticks in my mind were the many White Lady Swordtails ( Graphium morana) passing by amongst many Pierids. Some did settle to nectar but to reach the spot before they again flew was virtually impossible.
Krantzberg widow Dingana jerinae (1).jpg
Dingana jerinae - Krantzberg Widow - A very rare endemic indeed!

The Krantzberg widows were slightly more cooperative and after following one down the side of the mountain for a hundred metres I found an area where a handful of individuals were flying. The terrain was very steep and difficult to navigate but after some persistence and failed attempts I finally managed a few acceptable images.
Barber's ranger.jpg
Kedestes barberae - Barber's Ranger - Another grassland specialist found on the mountain tops of the Kransberg

Like Satyrinae, there are relatively few species of the family Papilionidae occuring on the farm out of the 14 or so species found in South Africa. The most common is the Citrus Swallowtail - Papilio demodocus demodocus which is perhaps familiar to many South Africans even if they have no particular interest in butterflies.
Papilio demodocus demoducus citrus swallowtail.JPG
Papilio demodocus demodocus - Citrus Swallowtail
Papilio demodocus demoducus citrus swallowtail (4).JPG

As the name suggests this Swallowtail uses various citrus trees as a larval host plants (but also many other tree species) and as these are common throughout the country the butterfly is very also very common and this combined with its large size and showy design it is hard to miss, even by the casual observer. It's perhaps the first butterfly I was familiar with at a young age, and I remember well, searching for the larvae, known as 'Orange Dogs' among the leaves of my grandmothers orange and lemon trees. Imitating a bird dropping in the first instars the young larvae are well camouflaged. later their colour is almost indiscernible from the leaves from which they feed and if disturbed exhibit a fascinating defence strategy. The larva rears up, throws it head back and a pair of red horns shoot out from the head hopefully scaring the would be predator.
Papilio demodocus demoducus citrus swallowtail (3).JPG
Papilio demodocus demoducus citrus swallowtail (2).JPG

Citrus Swallowtails are seen throughout the year and cover large distances searching for mates and host plants. Often seen passing over mountain tops or flying in a relatively straight line travelling to their next destination wherever that may be. Fond of flowers and so most gardens will attract this species. Citrus Swallowtails don't often settle and but occasionally while mud puddling one will sit still for a while.
Papilio demodocus belonois aurota and creona axiocerses amanga azanus jesous and moriqua anthene definita definita leptotes pirithous eichychrysops messapus mahalokoena.JPG
Papilio demodocus demodocus - Citrus Swallowtail among other species.

The Narrow Green-banded Swallowtail - Papilio nireus lyaeus also occurs on the farm but usually seems to be passing through, although in the flight season an individual will often be seen pausing at the Bougainvillea flowers dotted around the garden. Unfortunately these specimens are way out of reach and so far I've not been able to secure a decent image of this butterfly. One of the main food plants is Cape Chestnut (Calodendrum capense) and in one valley a number of these trees grow. Here Narrow green-banded swallowtails are easy to spot but once again are out of reach up in the tree tops. I look forward to photographing this species on the farm for the species has evaded me for many years now!
drone 2022 (4).jpg
Aerial view of farm

Occasionally Large Striped Swordtails - Graphium antheus are spotted, usually early season in my experience although one may turn up any time throughout the summer and autumn. Sightings are rare and this species is always exciting to see and same goes for the White lady (Grapium morania) and the Veined Swordtail (Graphium leonidas loenidas). These three species are most likely to be seen passing fast along mountain ridges or over mountain tops, and the best way to see them is by sitting in key areas. There is one spot though, a break in the chain of hills where they must come lower, and in this place there is the possibility of seeing one settle on wet earth for a spot of mud puddling. Luck is probably the key ingredient to photographing these beautiful species. Their strongholds are towards the east of the country and in certain forests in eastern Limpopo province they are much easier to become acquainted with.

Graphium Antheus large striped swordtail.JPG
Graphium Antheus - Large Striped Swordtail. I snatched this photo last year at the spot mentioned above. This Swordtail only stopped for a few seconds before continuing its journey.
drone 2022 (1).jpg
The hills which Swordtails follow...
drone 2022 (2).jpg
Valley in which the house is situated - at the top of which is the stopping place for Swordtails and other rare migrants.

That brings me to the end of the species which I have recorded from the farm so far so I will continue with updates when I return to South Africa a little later this year. I'm excited to get back and learn more about the butterflies and possibly find some species which have eluded me so far. I plan to explore some of the more inaccessible areas of the land and see what delights may be waiting in these unknown areas. And if I have time and luck, will hopefully be able to locate some Charaxes eggs and rear the larvae through to adulthood which is a project I've long dreamt of completing.

I'd also like to invite any readers who have enjoyed my diary so far to visit the farm and stay with me. I would really appreciate the expertise of others to help me record more and to also diver deeper into the butterflies, moths and other insects which occur in this special place. To share these delights with others really brings the subject alive and alone I feel so far I'm only scratching the surface. Please PM me if you would be interested to join me.

All the best for now, Scott
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a very generous offer Scott. I'm sure whoever takes you up on it will not be disappointed. Let's hope you're not inundated eh?!! :lol: Save some room for me!
David M

Post by David M »

Well, that's really been a phenomenal reportage, Scott. Thanks at the end for providing some aerial context - that location truly IS wild - no wonder nature is in such rude health.

That last tranche of butterflies is interesting too. When I first looked at the Dark-webbed Ringlet I reckoned it wouldn't look particularly out of place in the high European mountains......then I saw the underside! :shock: :shock:

Nice to know too that you have some rare visitors that drop in occasionally and raise the pulse rate just like we do over here, although by and large, our species aren't generally in the same class in terms of beauty and variety.

I wish you all the best for when you return there later in the year.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Thanks for your replies,

And glad you have enjoyed the diary so far David. I've very much enjoyed sharing with the readers here and look forward to continuing when I return to the farm.

Last week we had some very large fires which burnt in total 50000 acres across various farms in the area. After three days of burning, by luck some early season rain fell, not much, but enough to quench the flames and put all the fires out. And hopefully now more rain will come and help regenerate the grass and other vegetation.

Now it will be very interesting to return and see how the butterflies do compared to previous season when no fires passed through the farm during the dry season. I just hope there are good rains because going by previous data we are due a few years of drought.

Regards, Scott
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's been a while since I've last managed to read through your PD but what a stunning array of butterflies - the Barber's Arcaea doesn't look real :o and some of the others look like they've gone 'greasy' as Marsh Fritillaries do :D I'm also loving the names - Two-pip Policeman, Pale Ranger (should be Tonto-something or other :wink: ), Slphs and Elfins, Wandering Sandman and my personal favourite - the Dark Dodger :D :D
The Dark-webbed Ringlet is another example of a butterfly that could have been 'designed' by a small child with a set of felt pens - brilliant! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Charaxes wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:20 am...Last week we had some very large fires which burnt in total 50000 acres across various farms in the area. After three days of burning, by luck some early season rain fell, not much, but enough to quench the flames and put all the fires out. And hopefully now more rain will come and help regenerate the grass and other vegetation.

Now it will be very interesting to return and see how the butterflies do compared to previous season when no fires passed through the farm during the dry season. I just hope there are good rains because going by previous data we are due a few years of drought...
You're not alone, Scott. Plenty of places in Europe suffered fires this summer (seems to be an increasingly common event) and one hopes the damage is just temporary.

I hope things will have improved by the time you return.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Thanks David. It's always quiet tough to see the bush after it has burnt but it's amazing how fast things bounce back particularly if good rains come.
It's definitely an important mechanism for renewal and I have noticed some areas have suffered over the years without regular burning. So I've more or less learn to accept these events.

And Wurzel, so glad you have enjoyed looking through my diary. It's always such a pleasure to read such comments and inspires me to keep updating.
And I fully agree with your observations about the names! I think the names of our UK butterflies and particularly moths was one of the strongest attractors when I was young and starting out. They conjured up such a fantastical world around us which was hard to ignore :D
There will be a few new names coming in future posts because since I finished my updates a fair few of the skippers and a few other butterflies have been taxonomically updated..
I'm looking forward to getting back and taking more photos of all these beautiful species - like I said before, I've only just scratched the surface, so I look forward to sharing my findings with you and other readers particularly when things are a bit quiet here in UK during winter.

Regards, Scott

Return to “Personal Diaries”