South Africa diary

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Charaxes

Re: South Africa diary

Post by Charaxes »

Hi Mark,
Maybe I should have used the term ecological abundance rather than biodiversity. I think the UK could be 'buzzing' if land management practices here were sympathetic to all living creatures. Hopefully in the future we'll see a reversal of trends as the realisation sinks in that working with nature is the only long term possiblity for a sustainable way of life.

Wurzel, glad you could make use of your bucket!! Where I stay in South Africa is truly a dream for the nature lover and not a day goes by when something, or many interesting things turn up to excite a naturalist. My father and I always comment how every day, without fail, it's possible to see a new species of some description. Unfortunately my knowledge isn't broad enough to know what everything is, but slowly I'm increasing what I do know. And even if it's not possible to name everything it's just an absolute pleasure to be able to spend time in such an environment....at least I've more or less got the butterflies sorted!

And I agree that the bush scarlet is a true gem! Their colours never cease to amaze me, and how each specimen is slightly different from the next - the purples and reds on fresh specimens are always so beautiful and I believe because of this, it might be my most photographed species of butterfly on the farm.
It's common relative Axiocerses tjoane tjoane is also stunning with its underwing silver dotting. You might have read earlier in my diary that I had a bike accident early in February. Once I could walk again I spotted some of this species close to the house, although I couldn't bend down to photograph them. The underside dots were of pure burnished gold rather than silver and on reflection now I wonder if it was a new species I had not seen before. From the literature it looks like the species it may have been doesn't occur in my area but now of course I'm wondering!! Hopefully it's a question I can solve when I'm back in SA later this year.. what ever species it was, it's stuck fast in my mind because of those golden dots!!

All the best, Scott
Last edited by Charaxes on Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Carrying on from where I left off last time with the butterflies which occur here on the farm – Next species is the Darker Commodore (Precis antilope) which this season has been seen in record numbers. Previous years it has been a very rare species with sometimes just a handful of specimens seen throughout the year. The 2022/23 season was exceptional and Darker commodores could be seen in all habitats of the farm and like the Pansies could almost always be relied upon to put in an appearance when out for a walk. It’s a striking orange butterfly which settles regularly with wings open, so is hard to miss.
Precis antilope f. simia darker commodore.JPG
Precis antilope f. simia - Darker Commodore (WSF)
Precis antilope f. simia darker commodore (2).JPG
Precis antilope f. simia - Darker Commodore (WSF)

There is a wet and dry season form, upper sides similar, but the latter having the cryptic underside of so many dry season forms. Heavily territorial, individual butterflies which live around the house can become quite familiar over the few weeks which they live. Like the Guineafowl the Darker Commodore is a tough species which eventually, if not picked off by a predator, will become tattered and unrecognisable without a serious look.
Precis antilope darker commodore dsf(2).JPG
Precis antilope f. antilope - Darker Commodore (DSF)
Precis antilope darker commodore dsf.JPG
Precis antilope f. antilope - Darker Commodore (DSF) underside

The Spotted Sailer (Neptis saclava marpesa) is the only Neptis species occurring on the farm from the seven or so which occur in South Africa. Scarce early season, Spotted Sailers increase in numbers from February onwards until a peak is reached late season during the Autumn months. It’s a regular sight in the shady valley bottoms where its food plants grow and can easily be recognised by its gentle sailing flight pattern. A keen mud puddler and sunbather, Sailers are easily photographed while going about their business, but once warmed up they have a habit of flying just at the key moment. If not on the ground they will often be seen perched surveying their territories and checking which other butterflies may be invading their space.
Neptis saclava marpesa - spotted sailer (3).JPG
Neptis saclava marpesa - Spotted Sailer
Neptis saclava marpesa - spotted sailer.JPG
Neptis saclava marpesa - Spotted Sailer

The Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui), a butterfly which is probably familiar to most readers is also commonly seen across South Africa and is regularly encountered on the farm, whether on the highest mountain or patrolling a territory down on the flats, sipping minerals from wet mud or nectaring on flowers. Seeing one of these beauties always brings joy to my heart. It was one of the last butterflies we saw this season on the farm and one of the first I saw back in UK – special indeed!
Venessa cardui painted lady.JPG
Vanessa cardui - Painted Lady

A first for this season on the farm was the Clouded mother of pearl (Protogoniomorpha anacardii nebulosa). A truly spectacular species of butterfly which is guaranteed to rouse any enthusiasts interest. I’ve already mentioned this species and how I first spotted it but will quickly cover it again here. I’d been recovering from a motorbike crash at the start of February and finally felt, with the aid of a stick could start undertaking some short walks. First amble up the road towards the valley I spotted a large white butterfly dog fighting with a Charaxes saturnus, and came to the instant conclusion that the white butterfly must be a worn Charaxes achaemenes due to the size and flight pattern. My gut however told me I was wrong and that the white butterfly must be a Mother of Pearl! This was hard to believe because this species has never before been sighted on the farm and normally their strongholds are many hundreds of kilometres east. Shortly after the dog fight the white butterfly settled on the uppermost branches of an Acacia karoo tree and we could have a better look at it. Too far away to see properly with the naked eye, I managed to photograph the butterfly and then zoom in to confirm it was indeed a Mother of Pearl.
Protogoniomorpha anacardii clouded mother of pearl (1).jpg
Protogoniomorpha anacardii nebulosa - Clouded Mother of Pearl
Protogoniomorpha anacardii nebulosa clouded mother of pearl nr tanks.JPG

I saw the same individual a few times over the next week and had some better views with the binoculars, but what I didn’t realise was that it was actually a clouded mother of pearl we were watching rather than a mother of pearl (Protogoniomorpha parhassus). This became clear a week or two later when I saw another specimen and managed to obtain some fairly decent shots after it settled in a tree when I disturbed it mud puddling.
Over the subsequent weeks I saw a number of these butterflies cruising around the area south of the house and also in the garden. I must note here that to see one of these butterflies gliding past at speed is something truly memorable. I spotted a couple sucking at the beds in the veg patch and the last I saw was one of these – A pristine large specimen (f.trimeni – dry season form). Being in such good condition suggests this could have been young of the first butterflies I saw a couple of months previously. It will be particulary interesting to see if any are seen this coming season or whether the ones I saw were all travellers and just made the journey due to suitable conditions of the 2022/23 season.
Protogoniomorpha anacardii nebulosa clouded mother of pearl.JPG
Protogoniomorpha parhassus - common mother of pearl or clouded.jpg

The last butterfly I want to mention in this post is another which travelled a long way, possibly even a little further than the previously mentioned species. Boisduval’s Tree Nymph (Sevenia boisduvali boisduvali) normally occurs along the east coast and up into the Soutpansberg (butterfly hotspot in north eastern Limpopo) but one individual found its way to the farm and decided to stop for a suck at some cement I was laying. In its normal range large numbers are often seen and sometimes it will swarm in huge numbers – I however have only seen the one lone individual!
Sallya boisduvali Boisduvals tree nymph.JPG
Sevenia boisduvali boisduvali - Boisduval's Tree Nymph
David M

Post by David M »

That Tree Nymph was a pleasant surprise, Scott. Butterflies do seem to be attracted to cement. I wonder which ingredient it is that they find so alluring.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi David,

It's an interesting question and I imagine sodium and calcium might be two of the main attractants.
The whole subject of what butterflies choose to consume is very interesting and one I would like to investigate more.
I've noticed many different habits and preferences the butterflies in South Africa have, and it would be fascinating to records these habits accurately.
I know it's more common for males of various species to suck at cement and wet mud and I can confirm this. Male Charaxes will always be seen at the cement while the females are usual absent - they seem to prefer to spend time at the beds in the veg patch or at sucking holes in trees.

I may make this a study ( if time permits) when I return to the farm and see if I can find some interesting patterns..

Regards, Scott
David M

Post by David M »

Good luck with that study if you get time, Scott. Damp cement is always a category A attractant for many butterflies. As you say, there are clearly minerals/substances contained within that are much sought after.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

The Pioneer Caper White - Belenois aurota, also known as the Brown-veined White is one of the commonest butterflies seen on the farm, particularly early season, when there is an annual migration of these and other pierids. 2022 was an extremely strong migration year with millions of butterflies passing on a daily basis for around a month – this season occurring in December and as usual, the butterflies were heading east, originating from the drier western parts of the country.
Dad on beacon.jpg
On top of the mountain
Belenois aurota brownveined white female (2).JPG
Belenois aurota - Pioneer Caper White - female

Two particular moments from the migration stick in my mind, the first a visit with my father to a particularly well placed mountain top. It’s a stiff walk through some thick bush and rocky terrain to reach this peak, but well worth the effort because along with the migrating pierids, many other butterfly species like to also visit the area for their hill topping activities. Dog fighting Charaxes can always be relied upon to put on an exciting show and in the surrounding trees sapphires, both Trimens and Straight-lined along with Bowker's Marbled will set up their territories late morning. However on this day the whites were what we hoped to see.
Belenois aurota and creona.JPG
Belenois aurota and Belenois creona severina mud puddling
Belenois aurota brownveined white mating pair.JPG
Belenois aurota - Pioneer Caper White - mating pair

The Pierids use the range of hills, part of the Witfonteinrand which runs through the farm, as a sort of flight road, with the mountain peak we visited the last, before they drop down to a lower altitude and have a number of options of direction to take, whether it’s along one of the valleys, or up and over another mountain. So because of this flight path concentrations of migrants are particularly high in this small area, meaning it’s the perfect place to spend a couple of hours late morning to watch the spectacle unfold.
Belenois aurota brown veined white Belenois creona african common white Pinacopteryx eriphia zebra white.JPG
Belenois aurota - Pioneer Caper White, Belenois creona severina - African Pioneer White, Pinacopteryx eriphia- Zebra White and unidentified orange tip.
Belenois creona african common white and belenois aurota brownveined white (2).JPG
Belenois creona severina - African Caper White, Belenois aurota - Pioneer Caper White and Banded Gold Tip - Teracolus eris eris

On the day we visited the butterflies didn’t disappoint and a very strong stream of Pioneer Caper Whites, African Caper Whites, Banded Gold Tips, African Migrants, Zebra Whites and many more species continuously streamed past. By far the most numerous were the Caper Whites, all heading east, determined to reach an unseen and unknown destination. Rough calculations were made and in our sight area – perhaps a corridor 70 yards either side of where we sat, around 250000 butterflies passed each hour. Studying the scene further afield with binoculars showed nearly as mainly butterflies passing along other points of the mountainside, and actually throughout the whole surrounding landscape. Millions were flying and it seemed our visit coincided with the peak of the migration, so it actually didn’t matter where we were sitting. Everywhere whites streamed by in vast numbers.
Belenois aurota brownveined white 2.JPG
Belenois aurota - Pioneer Caper White
Belenois aurota brownveined white female.JPG
Belenois aurota - Pioneer Caper White - Female

The second memorable migration moment of this season was at a small earth dam at the lower end of a large valley from where the farm gets its name – Buffalo springs. High up in the hills is a hanging valley which acts like a giant water collection receptacle, and at the lower end ground water flow is blocked by a large krans (cliff) where a spring issues forth. The water tumbles down the krans, enters the ground at the base of the rock and then re-emerges 700 metres lower down the main valley where another band of rock blocks the flow. Here is the small earth dam which is filled in the spring and the remains full usually until mid- summer. When the dam is full, the water seeps through the earth wall and then runs through a series of rock pools before cascading down a small cliff. Incidentally, both these rock emergences are excellent places to see fig tree blues because their food plants grown in these areas.
Belenois aurota - brown veined white marakele .JPG
The small dam is situated in at open grassy glade and is a perfect collection spot for butterflies – normally many are visiting for mud puddling but on the day I visited far more were in attendance. Arriving mid-morning, I parked my bike a few hundred metres below the dam and walked the last few hundred metres of the rough and rocky track, being greeted along the way by many spotted jokers and Guineafowl playing about, as usual in the long grass either side of the path. Then over the brow of the rocky ridge an awe inspiring sight was waiting for me. The clearing was absolutely full of butterflies, a true kaleidoscope of dancing butterflies of all colours and sizes, although the scene was dominated by the migrating whites. Every second I watched hundreds upon hundreds of whites were tumbling down from the surrounding mountainsides to fill the clearing. Some continued without stopping but many descended to the mineral rich wet mud around the dam where they sat and sucked salts and minerals. Apart from the Pierids many other species flitted around the area – many Charaxes, huge numbers of lycaenids, skippers, acraeas, swallowtails and more.
Belonois aurota Brown veined white.JPG
Belonois aurota - Pioneer Caper White

It was difficult to take in the sheer amount of life present in that small area because of course it wasn’t just butterflies flying around. Thousands of other insects were making use of the wet mud, water and sunshine, and then also there were those preying on the these. In the centre of the clearing grows a small Marula tree (sclerocarya birrea) and at the base is a flat rock perfect for sitting upon. Here I spent a few hours soaking up the scene, aware of how incredibly lucky I was to be experiencing such a sight. The Pierids came non-stop and their tumbling flight into the area reminded me of blossom falling from cherry trees in a gentle breeze. And while watching I wondered about the journey of these butterflies, the sights they would see and places they would pass and the risks and hazards faced along the way. And of course I hoped with all my heart to see such scenes long into the future.
belenois creona severina female african common white.JPG
Belenois creona severina - African Caper White - female

African Caper White – Belenois creona severina isn’t as common as the Pioneer caper white on the farm but is usually seen in good numbers throughout the year and will be mixed in with the other migrating whites. Like the former, a keen mud puddler and also settling on the right flowers for nectaring. Colours of this butterfly vary from dry to wet season, with the wet season forms having beautiful lemon coloured undersides whereas the dry season forms are more uniformly cream.
Belenois creona severina African common white.JPG
Belenois creona severina - African Caper White - male

African Migrant – Catopsilia florella is a very familiar butterfly across the country and also all through Africa, flying year round. Powerful in flight, it is unmistakable with its direct and slight bobbing flight pattern. Rich and vibrant colours – the male being pale green/white similar to that of the English female brimstone, while the female is usually dark yellow irrorated with browns. The female comes in three forms, one being a very similar colour to the male so it pays to look closely when trying for an identification. During good years huge numbers of this butterfly will also join in with the annual migration.
Catopsila florella African migrant female.JPG
Catopsilia florella- African Migrant female
Catopsila florella African migrant male.jpg
Catopsilia florella - African Migrant male

A very common and familiar pierid around the farm is the beautiful Common Dotted Border which will be encountered in many of the habitats although its strongholds are in wooded shaded areas. The Common Dotted Border is a delicate butterfly which flutters and sails when on the move, often seen playing around the canopies of large trees - also very fond of mud puddling and necataring. Unfortunately when mud puddling this species loses all its fear and often i've seen specimens squashed by animals feet or vehicles passing a leak on the track. The Common dotted border has many food plants, with one of the main being various mistletoes of the Tapinanthus genus.
mylothris agathina common dotted border (6).JPG
Mylothris agathina agathina - Common Dotted Border
mylothris agathina common dotted border (3).JPG
Mylothris agathina agathina - Common Dotted Border - mud puddling
mylothris agathina common dotted border.JPG
Mylothris agathina agathina - Common Dotted Border

As a little extra I wanted to post a couple of photos of the larvae of Gonimbrasia belina I was lucky enough to find a couple of years ago. This species, as far as I know, isn't particularly common on the farm and this was the first time I saw the larvae. They were feeding on a Marula (sclerocarya birrea) tree close to the road and to start with I didn't actually see them, but rather I smelt them! The tree was covered in larvae which were in their final instar and almost ready to leave and pupate. On the ground under the tree was so much frass that it was almost impossible to miss the very distinctive smell! And so using the smell as a guide I soon located the tree and numerous beutiful and distinctive caterpillars. Some had already started on their march to pupation sites and the tree trunk was a mini highway of multicoloured spikey caterpillars on their way south!

These caterpillars are of course the famous Mopane worm which is an esteemed delicacy to many people of Zimbawe, Botswana and South Africa. Collected and dried, they provide valuable protein and apparently taste quite nice! I collected a handful and took them home, but did not have the heart to dry and eat them, rather I let them pupate with the hope to see the moths emerge. But unfortunately they didn't hatch in time before I left for Europe.
thumbnail (1).jpg
Mopane worm - Gonimbrasia belina - on its way down the host tree
thumbnail (2).jpg
Mopane worm - Gonimbrasia belina - crossing the track to search for pupation site
thumbnail.jpg
Mopane worm - Gonimbrasia belina - a good handful!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Hopefully it's a question I can solve when I'm back in SA later this year.."Fingers crossed that you get answer Scott
Even more stunning species :shock: :mrgreen: 8) - is there a 'Lighter' Commodore or an Even Brighter Commodore as that Darker Commodore looks pretty vibrant to me, actually I hope there isn't as it would be so bright it would burn your eyes out :shock: :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Another great account Scott - you've described some amazing experiences and I'm running out of descriptive phrases. Some very nice photography there too. My favourite from this lot is the Common Dotted Border. Didn't get a chance to ask Dan about his trip in any detail today obviously!!!!
David M

Post by David M »

Absolutely beautiful array of whites/yellows, Scott. Hard to pick a favourite but that image with the three Common Dotted Borders in Indian file stands out.

Nice to see African Migrant at rest. I saw three in Tenerife last March and never once did any stop for more than a couple of seconds.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

More interesting reports with great photos of beautiful butterflies. Hard to pick a favourite but that last image of the three Common Dotted Borders all line up is a cracker.

Great stuff :D

Neil.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hello everyone,

Thank you Wurzel, David, Paiuline and Neil for your recent comments. Really appreciated and nice to know some fellow enthusiasts are enjoying my diary!

Perhaps Wurzel you could be in charge of naming butterflies because a I've noticed a few could be spruced up a bit to reflect their true beauty! There are a few more good looking species coming, but some particularly bright and vibrant species occur to the east of the country like the gold banded forester and gaudy commodore - these are sure to blow any butterfly lovers mind :) I shouldn't think any will make it to the farm but maybe one day I'll include them here after I've completed some travels..
I think the common dotted border is also one of my favourites so glad to see you guys also enjoying them!

Following on with the pierids...

The aptly named Zebra White – Pinacopteryx eriphia eriphia is a very common and striking pierid seen throughout the year on the farm. Whether on top of a mountain or in the thick thorn bush this butterfly can be relied upon to put in an appearance and can be readily identified by its bold markings and low and fast bobbing flight pattern. Settling often, it all but disappears in amongst dry leaves and will burst forth with speed when disturbed. A keen mud puddler and nectar sipper which is strongly attracted to Kalanchoe flowers late in the season. The underside mirrors the upper side bands in the wet season form eriphia but come the dry season, the underside of f. nyassae is more uniformly brown which perfectly matches the dry grasses and leaves where the butterfly chooses to rest.
Pinacopteryx eriphia eriphia zebra white (2).JPG
Pinacopteryx eriphia eriphia - Zebra White
Pinocopteryx eriphia zebra white3.JPG
Pinacopteryx eriphia eriphia - Zebra White

Banded gold tip – Teracolus eris eris is another fast flying white which can easily be missed unless found nectaring on flowers. When the caper whites are migrating banded gold tips are often mixed in amongst the clouds of butterflies but to an untrained eye they are rather hard to distinguish from the more numerous other species. Like the zebra white this butterfly is common through the season and may be seen in a variety of habitats, but will pass by at speed unless some suitable flower catches its attention. The Zinnia flowers in the vegetable patch attract this butterfly and a good stream of them visit here each day, otherwise like the previous species Kalanchoe flowers are the best place to get a close look at a banded gold tip. At a glance the males and females look similar but it’s the male who has the true golden tips and also has heavier black bands. Caught in the right light the tips of the male shines with a blue iridescence whereas the female lacks this feature. Again, like a lot of species, seasonally dimorphic with various subtle changes to upper and underside markings.
Colotis eris eris  banded gold tip.JPG
Colotis eris eris - Banded Gold Tip female
Colotis eris eris  banded gold tip male.JPG
Colotis eris eris - Banded Gold Tip male

The Lemon traveller – Teracolus subfasciatus is an even faster flying species than the banded gold tip and unfortunately until now I haven’t managed to obtain any worthy photos of this pretty butterfly. I have tried hard but the lemon traveller has become my nemesis! I see them often, but on the flatlands they are travelling at speed on a direct course and on the hilltops they may loop round once or twice before continuing on their journey. Shortly before I returned to UK many were passing a mountain top I was visiting and I did see a few settle for a brief moment or two but as usual a photo proved impossible. I know with the right flowers lemon travellers will happily stop and relax while nectaring, but either these flowers aren’t on the farm, or I haven’t found them yet. Along the road sides in South Africa Vernonia flowers grow and these are a magnet for many butterflies including the lemon traveller so perhaps in the future if I grow some my fortunes might change. Watch this space!
robber fly with Belenois aurota.JPG
Dangers to the many pierid species! Robber flies catch many butterflies but one of the main targets are whites. hopefully they'll leave a few lemon travellers for me to perhaps photograph!
Robber fly with belenois aurota (2).JPG
Robber fly with Belenois aurota

African Clouded yellow – Colias electo electo is one of the most widespread butterflies in South Africa but this last season was very poor and I didn’t spot a single specimen on the farm. That’s of course not to say none were there but definitely their numbers were down on previous years. Although they are widespread I’ve never seen them in great numbers and it will be interesting to see how they fare in coming seasons. Possibly, like some of the other pierids, they are there at the peak of summer, but are hard to spot because of so many caper whites are flying. At the peak of the ‘white’ migration I find myself focusing on other butterflies because of the difficulty of picking out the less common pierids from the huge numbers of caper whites!
Colias electo electo - f. aurivillius African clouded yellow.JPG
Colias electo electo - f. aurivillius -African Clouded Yellow

Southern Meadow White – Pontia helice helice. Remarkably similar in appearance to the bath white of Europe this butterfly, like the clouded yellow is very widely distributed across South Africa. On the farm however it isn’t very common and up until now I’ve only photographed it once. Probably like the other whites it is easy to miss and I’ll be keeping a keen eye out for specimens in coming years.
Pontia helice Common meadow white.JPG
Pontia helice helice - Southern Meadow White

Veined tip or Southern Veined Arab – Colotis vesta argillaceus is a fairly localised pierid usually found near its main food plant Maerua angolensis – Bead Bean, but late season when numbers peak it may be seen up the mountains where alternative food plants grow. Not far above the house is a bead bean tree and without fail this butterfly will be found throughout the season around this tree, fluttering gently and settling on surrounding vegetation. On the far side of the farm a very large and old bead bean grows near the track. Early settlers camped by this tree judging by stone fire rings old artefacts found close by and once again veined tips are never far away. It’s interesting to think that the butterflies I see are descendants from butterflies seen perhaps 150 years ago by dutch voortrekkers! Early this last season the tree was completely defoliated by pierid larvae but I missed the chance to collect some before they pupated so cannot be sure if all were Veined tips or a mix of species. Another project for the future! As is fairly normal the wet season form pluvius is more brightly coloured than the dry season form argillaceus.
Colotis vesta argillaceus mating pair.JPG
Colotis vesta argillaceus - Southern Veined Tip mating pair
Colotis vesta argillaceus veined tip4.JPG
Colotis vesta argillaceus - Southern Veined Tip
Colotis vesta argillaceus veined tip.JPG
Colotis vesta argillaceus Southern veined tip.JPG

One of the most familiar species of the pierids is the humble Broad Bordered Grass Yellow - Eurema brigitta brigitta. So common and unobtrusive is this butterfly that up until this season I never gave it a second look. Wherever grass abounds this pretty little butterfly, along with its friends will be found bobbing about and settling often on low vegetation and small flowers. Bright yellow with the characteristic dark marginal bands on the upper side I thought we had only one species of Eurema present until recently I spotted an individual with a different flight pattern and habits. To be completely honest I haven’t quite got to the bottom of which species occur on the farm but there are certainly two and possibly one more! Because of seasonal variability and their habit of sitting with wings closed, to get positive identifications in not always very easy and more research has to be done next season.
Eurema brigitta brigitta and freyeria trochylus Actizera lucida Rayed blue .JPG
Eurema brigitta brigitta - Broad-Bordered Grass Yellow
eurema brigitta brigitta broad bordered grass yellow.JPG

The broad bordered grass yellow is a very keen mud puddler and in the right areas large groups can be found clustered together sucking salts. And what a beautiful sight when fifty or hundred of these little dashes of sunshine take to the air and scatter in all directions! The wet season form zoe has a bright yellow underside while the dry season form brigitta follows the usual procedure and is darker pinky brown enabling it to blend with the dull winter vegetation.
Eurema brigitta broad bordered grass yellow (9).JPG
Eurema brigitta broad bordered grass yellow plus junonia hierta cebrene.JPG

Lowveld grass yellow – Eurema hecabe solifera is a little larger than the broad bordered grass yellow and more heavily marked on the underside particularly in the dry season form bisinuata. Scalloped margins on the black bands on the upper side wings are also a useful identification feature. The colour of this butterfly is an even brighter yellow than the previous species and is truly beautiful in fresh specimens.
Eurema hecabe solifera lowveld Grass Yellow nr veg patch.JPG
Eurema hecabe solifera - Lowveld Grass Yellow

The rest of the tips to follow soon!

I hope everyone is having a fruitful butterfly season in the UK - from the little I've seen there appears to be good numbers out - well at least until the weather turned!!

Regards, Scott
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Perhaps Wurzel you could be in charge of naming butterflies because a I've noticed a few could be spruced up a bit to reflect their true beauty!" Thank you for offering me the position, I'd be very pleased to accept it. :wink: :lol:
Those are lovely selection of whites and lemons Scott and the mud puddling shots are to die for :mrgreen:
I took a quick look at a Guady Commodore - woah! That is a very aptly named butterfly :shock: :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better Scott you post more stunning images. The Broad-bordered Grass Yellow mud-puddling is a sight to behold. Can't quite figure out why you are still here :wink: :lol: BTW, still haven't stumbled across any Grayling (seems quite dull in comparison :) )
David M

Post by David M »

Those Broad-Bordered Grass Yellows are to die for, Scott, not to mention the beautiful Southern Veined Tips. What a world of colour you have round there. :mrgreen:
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hello, once again, Thank you for your positive comments. Its a very special to know other enthusiasts can appreciate some of the butterflies i've been fortunate enough to see.

I was going through some photos from the farm so as a small interlude I thought I'd post some of these to give a another perspective on the place...
thumbnail (51).jpg
Firstly, a few landscapes. This view is looking across towards the main range of mountains/hills which runs across the farm - roughly we are looking to the south and the direction of the mountains are more or less the direction the migrating pierids take - right to left. If you look closely there are a number of cliffs long the range and these areas are largely unexplored for butterflies. It's tough walking through thick bush to reach these areas and so usually a full day is needed to do the areas justice - Next trip I'll be focusing more of my efforts on these areas.
thumbnail (17).jpg
A closer look at one of the cliffs (krans). Always good spots for Fig Tree Blues, and in the lush valleys below, some of the rarer skipper species can be found. This one is a popular baboon sleeping spot, and at the base of the cliff a small cave houses a family of porcupines.
thumbnail (5).jpg
The vegetation 100 yards below the krans pictured above. Large fig trees dominate the scene and a couple of years ago when I visited here an Impala ram was hanging in one of the lower trees, placed there by a leopard for safe keeping. In the past Gynogenes/African Harrier Hawks (Polyboroides typus) have nested in these tall figs. Often the day flying moth -the Superb false tiger (Heraclia superba) will be seen flying in such shady spots as this.
thumbnail (23).jpg
An example of one of the rock figs which grow on krans and rocky ridges. There are some amazing examples of these trees but many take some serious leg work to reach.
thumbnail (27).jpg
Occasionally to make the walk up into the hills more worth while i'll camp on one of the flatter spots found near some of the tops.
thumbnail (34).jpg
Another camping spot, this time on the highest mountain. From this peak there is pretty much a 360 degree view and to spend the night here on full moon is very special. As the sun sets to the west the moon rises behind making for a truly memorable scene.
thumbnail (33).jpg
View to the east looking to the destination of the migrating whites. In the distance is the beginning of the Waterberg region - a UNESCO biosphere reserve and the home to some very rare butterflies.
thumbnail (36).jpg
Switching to some of the other inhabitants - A pair of Brown Hooded Kingfishers (Halcyon albiventris) are a common sight in the garden and also around the farm.
thumbnail (15).jpg
Black-faced waxbill (Brunhilda erythronotos) is a common finch but often will be missed unless time is taken to search them out.
thumbnail (35).jpg
The blue waxbill (Uraeginthus angolensis) is the commonest species of waxbill on the farm and usually will be seen in pairs, feeding on small seeds. Sit near any water source for the best view of these small birds. While walking at night these can often be spotted huddled together on low branches of thorn trees and will be seen in the same spot night after night.
thumbnail (19).jpg
Jameson's firefinch (Lagonosticta rhodopareia) is also a common finch species and will usually be seen hopping about with blue waxbills and their relatives.
thumbnail (20).jpg
Anyone who has been to Africa will be familiar with the Cape Turtle Dove (Streptopelia capicola) and it's beautiful call.
thumbnail (22).jpg
Roads often need repairs after the Aardvark (Orycteropus afer)has been out digging ants and termites during the night.
thumbnail (11).jpg
Almost the same spot as the Aardvarks digging, but this time a Leopard Tortoise (Stigmochelys pardalis) makes use of the road
thumbnail (46).jpg
One of my favourite insects - the Winged Predatory Katydid (Clonia wahlbergi) is a formidable predator seen during the rainy season
thumbnail (13).jpg
Walker's Owl (Erebus macrops) is probably the largest moth found on the farm.
thumbnail (4).jpg
Gregarious Antlions (Hagenomyia tristis) collect in large numbers mid-summer in cool shady spots under trees. When disturbed, the confusion of hundreds suddenly flying means most make an escape from potential predators.
thumbnail (10).jpg
Grey Foam Nest Tree Frogs (Chiromantis xerampelina) patiently sit on a branch waiting for more rain. These frogs lay their eggs on tree branches above the water in white foam masses. When the eggs hatch the tadpoles drop from their foam protection and hopefully land in the water below. Remarkably, these frogs will sometimes sit on a branch in bright sun day after day! Under these conditions their colour changes to bright white!
thumbnail (47).jpg
Stamvrut tree (Englerophytum magalismontanum) is an amazingly productive tree which only grows high up on the mountains in rocky terrain. If you reach these trees at the right time of year huge rewards are waiting. This season saw a bumper crop of fruit and although the stone is large, enough fruit is available to quench the ones thirst, and even maybe the appetite of the most greedy baboon!
thumbnail (29).jpg
A very inquisitive pair of giraffes wondering what I'm up to...
thumbnail (38).jpg
Mother and baby porcupine. She will protect her young by standing aside them and then turning her back on any threat - her back being where the most formidable spines are situated.
thumbnail (7).jpg
The resident female leopard.
thumbnail (2).jpg
The vegetable patch and also butterfly hot spot!
thumbnail (32).jpg
Zinnias planted for attracting insects
thumbnail (30).jpg
Oriental Bee Hawk (Cephonodes hylas) enjoying the flowers
David M

Post by David M »

That's a proper wildlife paradise, Scott (although there are a few creatures there that I'd prefer to avoid!) :wink:
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

It definitely is David! And I've only scratched the surface so far. When I start thinking about the biodiversity of the farm I realise my knowledge is almost zero! Just taking the insects as an example - I can safely say that not a day goes by when I don't see a new species!

I'm going to carry on with the pierids which occur on the farm, with the remaining species all being various tips. This group is hard to master, because for starters many look alike, and then there's the fact that each species has various forms as well as differing males and females. For example Colotis evagore antigone has seven recognised forms. Some of these are of course wet and dry season forms and that can help ease identification when one is very familiar with each species. However several forms of the butterfly may be on the wing at the same time so it pays to have a keen eye. Most of these species also reluctantly settle so this adds another difficulty if one is aiming at IDs through photos. Lots of time and patience is needed and often photos will have to be taken at a distance, purely to identify the butterfly.

Some species are fairly keen mud puddlers and a few will also settle on the right flowers, so it pays to spend time waiting at the correct spot because sooner or later your quarry will arrive. Also most of these tips are 'travellers' so after being seen it is unlikely that the exact specimen will return to the area. But it is likely if a few are passing a certain zone then more will be along shortly. A lot of the species are fond of using the farm tracks as flight paths so many will be seen while out on a walk, but these individuals will seldom settle so often chasing them will end in frustration.

At the corner of the garden grows a large patch of Plumbago auriculata which if you are familiar with this plant, will know it has small blue flowers which are attractive to various insect species. Last summer I noticed that Queen Purple Tips (Colotis regina) were momentarily stopping at these flowers as they passed in a northerly direction, nectaring for a few seconds, and then resuming their fast flights up and over the surrounding trees. Without a good photo in my collection I figured this would be the perfect place to intercept one of these butterflies and obtain a decent image. But this was easier said than done! After a few hours of frustrations I had to take a break and pursue some other species which were more cooperative! Many Queen Purple Tips passed by but every time they were off before I could even get in position to take a photo. Still, a decent open wing shot of this butterfly evades me and I look forward to the day I finally succeed.
Colotis regina queen purple tip.JPG
Underside of Colotis regina - Queen Purple Tip. This butterfly's beauty is reflected in its name and to see one sailing across a hilltop or briefly settling on a flower is a special moment indeed. Large and striking, the male of this butterfly is easily recognisable with its large purple tips which cover almost half the apical area of the forewing. Females are quite different to males and show far less purple on their tips, instead having heavy black markings dotted with white patches. One rare form, louisa, has a ground colour of pale creamy yellow and can easily be confused for a separate species.

One of the commonest orange tips is the Red Tip which can be seen flying all year and will often be encountered mud puddling.
Colotis antevippe gavisa f. gavisa female red tip.JPG
Colotis antevippe gavisa f. gavisa - Red Tip female
Colotis antevippe gavisa f. gavisa male red tip.JPG
Colotis antevippe gavisa f. gavisa - Red Tip male
Colotis antevippe gavisa Red tip (1).jpg
Colotis antevippe gavisa - Red tip male
Colotis Antevippe gavisa red tip female underside.JPG
Colotis antevippe gavisa - Red Tip female underside
Colotis Antevippe gavisa red tip mating pair.JPG
Colotis Antevippe gavisa - Red Tip mating pair

And next comes the Southern Round-winged orange tip Colotis euippe omphale. Also known as the Smoky orange tip, this butterfly is another very common species and may be seen flying all year. Found in all environments, its quite common to see these tips slowly making their way along hillsides or bobbing along one of the tracks inspecting other pierids as they pass by.
Colotis evippe omphale (2).JPG
Colotis euippe omphale - Southern Round-winged Orange Tip female
Colotis evippe omphale f. omphale  smoky orange tip male (question).JPG
Colotis euippe omphale f. omphale Southern Round-winged Orange Tip male
Colotis evippe omphale f. omphale male smoky orange tip.JPG
Colotis euippe omphale f. omphale Southern Round-winged Orange Tip male
Colotis evippe omphale f. theogone female likely.JPG
Colotis euippe omphale f. theogone - Southern Round-winged Orange Tip female

Colotis evippe omphale f.omphale female smoky orange tip (2).JPG
Colotis euippe omphale f.omphale - Southern Round-winged Orange Tip female
Colotis evippe omphale f.omphale female smoky orange tip.JPG
Colotis euippe omphale f.omphale - Southern Round-winged Orange Tip female
Colotis evippe omphale smoky orange tip (1).JPG
Colotis euippe omphale f. theogone - Southern Round-winged Orange Tip female
Colotis evippe omphale smoky orange tip (2).JPG
Colotis euippe omphale - Southern Round-winged Orange Tip male

I would say the most striking of all the orange tips is the Sarlet Tip - Colotis danae annae. A fresh male of this species is sure to catch anyone's attention with its large and bright scarlet tips. The female differs and has apricot orange tips patterned with black, and like some of the other tips could be easily mistaken for another species.
Colotis danae annae f. annae scarlet tip male .JPG
Colotis danae annae f. annae - Scarlet Tip male
Colotis danae annae f. wallengrenii male dry season form .jpg
Colotis danae annae f. wallengrenii - Scarlet Tip male dry season form
Colotis danae annae f.annae female scarlet tip7.JPG
Colotis danae annae f.annae - Scarlet Tip female
Colotis danae annae scarlet tip.JPG
Colotis danae annae - Scarlet Tip female underside

TBC

All the best, Scott
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those are fantastic Scott :shock: 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Interesting to read 'dry season form' - so not only are they sexually dimorphic to such an extent that they look like different species but they come in seasonal forms as well :shock: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi Wurzel,

Yes exactly! There's always change going on and it's very difficult to keep on top of these species and which forms are flying at various different times of the year. Add this to differing male and female design and it's quite a challenge to wrap one's head around.

I spent many many long evenings studying photos and slowly getting an understanding of the different models and now feel fairly confident I know most of them. However there are still a couple I haven't been able to identify :shock:

A very interesting study is the question of when do the butterflies change from wet season to dry season forms. It's very difficult to figure this out with the orange tips but much easier with some other species, such as the darker commodore which is very easily recognisable in the different forms. Using this as a guage one can roughly know when others have switched to their dry season forms and then to know what to look out for.

What would be interesting is how the timings change year on year! I wonder if anyone has managed to record this data for long enough to show a decent data set. It's another one I might start looking into over the coming years because I find this phenomenon particularly interesting..

Enjoy your weekend, Scott
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

The African Orange Tip - Colotis evenina evenina is a very tricky butterfly to photograph and the butterfly pictured below took well over an hour to chase down. Our paths crossed on a hill top and when I was 'hunting' tips so I was determined to get a photo before the butterfly abandoned the hill top to continue its journey. The terrain in the area is made up of large rocks dispersed between long grass and small bushes with the small flat hilltop falling fast away to steep surrounding slopes. It's not an easy place to follow butterflies but with the variety of species in this small area it pays to be nimble footed.
This African Orange Tip flitted from one spot to the next, settling for a few seconds to catch some sun, before dancing around the rocks and bushes to settle once again in a new spot. To reach it's chosen spot in time for a photo took valuable seconds, and only after following it for a long while did I discover its pattern of movement. Eventually I could start to second guess where it may next settle, and so position myself with chance of capturing an image. Finally my exertions paid off, but to get near enough for close up photo was virtually impossible. Not only was the butterfly constantly on the move but also it didn't like any disturbance and would fly off in an instant.
Colotis evenina evenina f. deidamoides.JPG
Colotis evenina evenina f deidamoides - African Orange Tip female
Colotis evenina evenina African orange tip female.JPG
Colotis evenina evenina f deidamoides- African Orange Tip female. This specimen proved far easier to photograph than the previous female I encountered. So far I haven't been able to find a male although have probably seen them - They look remarkably similar to males of the other tips and to pick one out requires a degree of luck. The distinguishing factor to look for is a tip colour of a paler orange than than the other species.
Colotis evagore antigone f. emini female small orange tip.JPG
Colotis evagore antigone f. emini - Small Orange Tip female - The only photo I have of this little butterfly which can easily cause much confusion. Females have many seasonal forms and are easily confused with Colotis Pallene - The Bushveld Orange Tip. One of the main identification methods of this butterfly is the small black 'elbow' on the backside of the tip which points towards the apex of the forewing.
Coloyis Auxo auxo - sulphur tip.JPG
Colotis auxo auxo - Sulphur Tip - Another difficult butterfly to photograph and so far I've found just one flowering bush where these butterflies like to nectar. Scarlet tips also love this particular bush and because it's a long way from the house I plan to propagate some to attract the butterflies to the garden. The sulphur tip is a very beautiful small species of tip but so far our meeting have been limited and so I have very little info to share about the species.

Below is a photo of what I think is Colotis pallene - Bushveld orange tip. It resembles the larger Red Tip so the photo gives a good comparison of the two species. The Bushveld Orange Tip is another which I need to obtain more good open wing shots to make comparisons between the various other species and forms.
Colotis antevippe gavisa red tip and colotis evippe omphale smoky orange tip.JPG
Colotis antevippe gavisa Red Tip and Colotis pallene - Bushveld Orange Tip showing size difference

To my knowledge there are another four species of tips which are found on the farm. To date I've not obtained photos of these and hope to achieve this over the next few years. These are Speckled Sulphur Tip, Kalahari Orange Tip, Bushveld Purple Tip and Lilac Tip. The challenge awaits!

That's it for the pierids and next I'll move on to the the remaining families of butterflies - Papilionids, Hesperiids, Heliconians and finally the Satyrines.

All the best, Scott

Return to “Personal Diaries”