South Africa diary

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Charaxes

Re: South Africa diary

Post by Charaxes »

Hello,

I'd like to continue posting the species of butterflies which occur here on the farm - i'll continue the family of blues, starting with some of the more common species found on the farm. Although the season here is getting on a bit, and we are starting to feel some cooler nights, the butterflies are still out in large numbers. On the way to wi-fi today, at a leak in the water pipe there were at least a thousand various butterflies mud-puddling, mainly blues but also some whites, charaxes and other nymphalids along with some browns. The bush here is drying out now after no rain fell for a while so any source of water is a magnet for insects. Unfortunately im still struggling to bend down to take photos but maybe in the next week I can make the most of this last strong flush of butterflies before autumn sets in strongly and cooler weather arrives.
Azanus jesous topaz spotted blue (3).JPG
Azanus jesous - Topaz spotted blue. This beautiful blue is the most common Lycaenid found on the farm and can be seen all year around but largest numbers are out early in the season during the spring. If there is dry weather and butterflies are looking for moisture hundreds of topaz spotted bloes can be found mud puddling together. Feeds on various acacia species which are very common here hence the large numbers of this species.
Azanus jesous topaz spotted blue.JPG
Azanus jesous topaz spotted blue mating pair female right.JPG
The second most commonly seen blue is probably Azanus moriqua - Thorn tree blue. This little butterfly is very similar to the topaz spotted blue and shares similar habits and also food plants. Also an avid mud puddler they can often be seen feeding together or flitting around acacia trees.
Azanus moriqua thorn tree blue.JPG
Azanus moriqua - Thorn tee blue
Azanus moriqua thorn tree blue mating pair.JPG
Azanus moriqua - Thorn tee blue
Azanus moriqua thorn tree blue and Charaxes jahlusa pearl spotted charaxes.JPG
Azanus moriqua - Thorn tee blue and Charaxes jahlusa - Pearl spotted charaxes

Another closely related species is the velvet spotted blue. It's much scarcer than the previous two species and very similar to the topaz spotted blue and it takes a keen eye to see the difference while in the field.
Azanus ubaldus velvet spotted blue (2).JPG
Azanus ubaldus - Velvet spotted blue
Azanus ubaldus velvet spotted blue.JPG
Azanus ubaldus - Velvet spotted blue

A fairly scarce lycaenid here on Buffelsfontein is the Dotted blue - Tarucus sybaris sybaris. Its a real gem among the blues, and to spot one flitting amongst long grass is always a treat
tarucus sybaris sybaris dotted blue (4).JPG
Tarucus sybaris sybaris - Dotted blue
tarucus sybaris sybaris dotted blue (2).JPG
tarucus sybaris sybaris dotted blue (3).JPG

One of the smallest species of lyceanids found here is Trochylus freyeria -The grass jewel blue. Its another spectacular little butterfly and will pop up almost anywhere on the farm. Males and females are often found together dancing about a certain chosen spot, often settling on grass stems and small flowers. Also likes sitting on wet earth sucking salts along with its family members.
Freyeria trochylus grass jewel blue (2).JPG
Freyeria trochylus - Grass jewel blue
freyeria trochylus grass jewel blue (3).JPG
Freyeria trochylus grass jewel blue.JPG

Often seen with the grass jewel blue is the Cupreous blue - Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena. This sub-species is found in the north of the country mainly in limpopo province. On the farm this butterfly is very common and can easily be found sucking at wet earth. The upper side of the males wing is beautifully coloured with orange, apricot, mauves and blues when the light catches right.
Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena cupreous blue male (2).JPG
Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena - Cupreous blue male
Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena cupreous blue male.JPG
Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena - Cupreous blue male
Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena cupreous blue mating pair female lower.JPG
Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena - Cupreous blue mating pair
Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena cupreous blue.JPG
Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena - Cupreous blue

A few more photos of these species...
Azanus jesous and azanus moriqua and one Freyeria trochylus plus one strange Leptotes.JPG
Azanus jesous - Topaz spotted blue and Azanus moriqua - Thorn tree blue and one Freyeria trochylus - Grass jewel blues and a lone Leptotes pirithous - Common (zebra) blue (not confirmed)
Azanus jesous and azanus moriqua topaz and thorn tree blue.JPG
Azanus jesous -Topaz spotted blue and Azanus moriqua - Thorn tree blue
Azanus jesous and Azanus moriqua.JPG
Azanus jesous and Hypolimnas misippus.JPG
Azanus jesous - Topaz spotted blue and Hypolimnas misippus - Diadem
Azanus jesous and moriqua.JPG
Azanus jesous topaz spotted blue and lampides boeticus long tailed blue.JPG
Azanus jesous- Topaz spotted blue and Lampides boeticus - Long tailed/lucerne blue
Freyeria trochylus and one Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena near sliding red gate.JPG
Freyeria trochylus - Grass jewel blue and one Eicochrysops messapus mahallakoaena - Cupreous blue
Last edited by Charaxes on Fri May 12, 2023 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Charaxes wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:35 am...On the way to wi-fi today, at a leak in the water pipe there were at least a thousand various butterflies mud-puddling...
:shock: :shock:

I'm definitely living in the wrong part of the world!

I get the feeling that this isn't unusual either? :mrgreen:
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi David,

It's not unusual to see large numbers of butterflies mud puddling here, but occasionally conditions are just right for exceptional numbers to be seen.

During the spring/summer if there is a hot dry spell for over two weeks the bush dries out fast, and then water sources are limited (wet ground). If then, there is a leak in a water pipe the butterflies flock to the spot!

The collection I saw the other day was also numerous because the water leak was perfectly placed at a spot where three valleys intersect. The valleys act like highways for the butterflies and so actually this spot is perhaps one of the best areas on the farm for butterflies. If I wanted to see migrant species this would be the place to spend some hours.

Interestingly I went there yesterday and although there were far fewer butterflies now because rain has fallen over the last days, there was something very special there.

As I approached the spot a large white butterfly skipping around the area, passing powerfully through the trees, circling the area. From it's flight characteristics it was definitely not a pierid which left only one possibility - a mother of pearl!

As I got closer to the wet mud I noticed another large white butterfly sucking at the mud - amazingly another mother of pearl! These two were the second and third of this species I've see on the farm, the first from a month ago, so it seems this year many individuals have pushed over from the east of the country.

They are truly spectacular butterflies and to see these two flying around was something very special for me. I'm so familiar with most of the butterflies on the farm that I know their flight patterns from a distance, and so to see this newcomer with It's distinctive flight was a highlight of this butterfly season here.
Photo to follow.

Regards, Scott
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Good afternoon,

some more of the Lycaenids which are found here on the farm.

The Rayed blue - Actizera lucida is one of the scarcest lycaenids here on the farm. It's usually found in grassy areas, but is usually easiest to see mud puddling at wet earth. Its an easy blue to identify using the underside hindwing as a reference - look for the small white dash.
Actizera lucida Rayed blue.JPG
Actizera lucida Rayed blue
Actizera lucida Rayed blue 1.JPG
Actizera lucida Rayed blue

The Tailed meadow blue is also a fairly scare butterfly here, but towards the end of the summer its possible to come across a fair few specimens, either in its preferred grassy habitat or, once again, at wet patches on the ground.
Cupidopsis jobates jobates.JPG
Cupidopsis jobates jobates - tailed meadow blue
cupidopsis jobates jobates tailed meadow blue.JPG
Cupidopsis jobates jobates - tailed meadow blue

The next Lycaenid will probably be very familiar to many readers - The Long tailed or Pea blue. It's a common butterfly here and may pop up anywhere on the farm. There will always be a few flitting around my vegetable patch, nectaring or sitting on the wet earth.
Lampides boeticus long tailed blue.JPG
Lampides boeticus - Long tailed blue
Lampides boeticus long tailed blue male.JPG
Lampides boeticus - Long tailed blue male
Lampides boeticus long tailed blue male (5).JPG
Lampides boeticus - Long tailed blue male
Lampides boeticus long tailed blue (4).JPG
Lampides boeticus - Long tailed blue female
Lampides boeticus long tailed blue (2).JPG
Lampides boeticus - Long tailed blue

The Sooty blue -Zizeeria knysna often goes undetected because of its diminutive size and because it is fairly scarce - it takes a keen eye to pick it out from amongst the profusion of lycaenids seen flying here.
Zizeeria knysna sooty blue.JPG
Zizeeria knysna - Sooty blue
Zizeeria knysna sooty blue (3).JPG
Zizeeria knysna sooty blue (2).JPG

The smallest blue found here is the Gaika Blue - Zizula hylax. Seen either mud puddling or perched on grass its continuous swaying motion can help identify it.
Zizula hylax Gaika blue.JPG
Zizula hylax - Gaika blue
zizula hylax gaika blue (2).JPG
Zizula hylax - Gaika blue
Last edited by Charaxes on Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

The Purple brown hairstreak is common on the farm and can turn up almost anywhere. It feeds on a variety of tree species so is not restricted much by food plant location. Like a lot of the hairstreaks here, Ximenia spp. is one of the more common food plants and would probably be the best place to locate eggs or larvae. Adults like to mud puddle and can be seen throughout the year, although are more common in the warmer months
hypolycaena philippus philippus purple brown hairstreak (2).JPG
Hypolycaena philippus philippus - Purple brown hairstreak male
hypolycaena philippus philippus purple brown hairstreak (3).JPG
Hypolycaena philippus philippus - Purple brown hairstreak
hypolycaena philippus philippus purple brown hairstreak (4).JPG
hypolycaena philippus philippus purple brown hairstreak female.JPG
Hypolycaena philippus philippus - Purple brown hairstreak female
hypolycaena philippus philippus purple brown hairstreak (6).JPG
hypolycaena philippus philippus purple brown hairstreak.JPG
Hypolycaena philippus philippus - Purple brown hairstreak male

The next Lycaenid found here is one of my favourites - Bowker's tailed blue - Stugeta bokeri tearei. It's a stunning mid-sized double tailed blue which has the habit of turning up anywhere, often when one's least expected it. I've found searching for this species often proves fruitless, although if one knows its preferred flowers then there is a good chance to find it.

Another good chance to locate this species is on a hilltop around midday, where it may be seen perched on a twig or leaf surveying it's surrounds. The Bowker's tailed blue is not a very rapid flyer and so once found can usually easily be followed to it's next chosen perch, where it will tolerate a close approach.

Flowering mistletoes are another good place to find this butterfly - last year on one such mistletoe there was at least one bowker's blue present for a period of seven or eight days, and often three or four individuals could be seen.
The large and small leaved sour plum are chosen food plants and like the previous species are a good place to find young of this butterfly.
Iolaus bowkeri tearei bowker's tailed blue (2).JPG
Bowker's tailed blue - Stugeta bokeri tearei
Iolaus bowkeri tearei bowker's tailed blue (3).JPG
Iolaus bowkeri tearei bowker's tailed blue (4).JPG
Iolaus bowkeri tearei bowker's tailed blue (5).JPG
Iolaus bowkeri tearei bowker's tailed blue (8).JPG
Bowker's tailed blue - Stugeta bokeri tearei - hill topping on the highest mountain on the farm
Iolaus bowkeri tearei bowker's tailed blue.JPG
Robber fly with Iolaus bowkeri tearei bowker's tailed blue .JPG
The second specimen of Bowkers tailed blue I saw on this trip - many species of robber flies occur here and for some species butterflies are a large part of their diet! Even the rare pretty ones!!!
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the explanation, Scott. I better understand this behaviour now.

Those Hairstreaks are quite a sight, whilst the Bowker's Tailed Blue is a real diamond. You truly are blessed where you are.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

OMG Scott! You know how much I favour the Hairstreaks but did you know I once stood under a tree in Brighton for 5 hours waiting for a WLH to come down? When it did it landed in long grass by my foot only to shoot straight back up again :( . When I see all these species which you seem to be tripping over I wonder why I bother :roll: I am trying to motivate myself to post some LTB shots but you are not helping :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Good afternoon,

The hairstreaks are very special David and there are a few more to come. One has been evading me all season (Iolaus pallene - saffron sapphire) and now I've given up looking for it, hoping one will come my way sometime soon - I know they are here because we have seen them before, but to find them is not easy.

The last few days have been good for butterflies and I finally saw a club-tailed Charaxes which is the first for this season. It was feeding on a Hyena scat along with many other Charaxes and other butterflies. It was such a bonanza that I returned a day later and was pleased to discover a new lycaenid (Osiris smoky blue) for the farm, which also came to visit the Hyena scat.
Charaxes achaemenes Charaxes jahlusa Charaxes zoolina Charaxes Phaeus Charaxes candiope Hylites eponina c.JPG
Charaxes achaemenes, Charaxes jahlusa, Charaxes zoolina, Charaxes Phaeus, Charaxes candiope, Hylites eponina
Charaxes achaemenes Charaxes jahlusa Charaxes zoolina Charaxes Phaeus Charaxes candiope Hylites eponina.JPG
Charaxes achaemenes, Charaxes jahlusa, Charaxes zoolina, Charaxes Phaeus, Charaxes candiope, Hylites eponina

Charaxes achaemenes Charaxes jahlusa hyalites eponina freyaria trochylus.JPG
I was interested to see a grass jewel blue -Freyaria trochylus flying in to join the feeding...
Charaxes achaemenes Charaxes jahlusa hyalites eponina freyaria trochylus (2).JPG
And then amazed to see it perched on the wind of the Pearl spotted charaxes - Charaxes jahlusa

Back to the Lycaenids....
So far on the farm I have seen two species of Bar, but so far haven't managed any decent upper side shots.
The first is Ella's bar which is very occasionally seen mud puddling but more commonly seen feeding on flowers or hill topping. Both bars are very fast flyers and there is little chance of seeing these butterflies because they spend much time zipping around tree tops. When they are settled though, an approach is easy for they completely drop their defences.
Spindasis ella ella's bar (2).JPG
Spindasis ella- Ella's bar
Spindasis ella ella's bar (3).JPG
Spindasis ella - Ella's bar
Spindasis ella ella's bar.JPG
Spindasis ella - Ella's bar

According to the literature both the Natal bar and Ella's bar have larvae who are closely associated with ants. The Natal bar's larvae live in hollowed out tubes formed by ants eating out the pith of twigs on the host plant and then emerge to pupate on the bark. Both species mentioned here usually perch with head facing down and rub their wings together to simulate a 'head' with the tails and eye-spots to fool predators.
Spindasis natalensis natal bar.JPG
Spindasis natalensis - Natal bar

Next species is the Silver spotted grey. So far I've only found this butterfly occurring in one small area and have yet to figure out why this is. It's larvae feed on various acacia species that are widespread across the land so there must be some other factor which keeps this species in it's chosen area. It's very numerous in this spot and can be seen nectaring on flowers, perched on the ground and on grass stems, or laying eggs on acacia bushes.
crudaria leroma silver spotted grey (2).JPG
crudaria leroma - Silver spotted grey
crudaria leroma silver spotted grey female.JPG
crudaria leroma silver spotted grey  (3).JPG
crudaria leroma - Silver spotted grey ovipositing.
crudaria leroma silver spotted grey.JPG

The black striped hairtail is a common species of the genus Anthene -Ciliate blues or hairtails which contains a fair few similar looking species. The Black striped hairtail, however, is easy to recognise by the black underside forewing stripe, hairtails, and seven black spots along with two separate black eye spots. It's a rapid and erratic flyer but settles often and is relatively easy to approach and may be encountered anywhere on the farm.
Anthene amarah amarah black striped hairtail (2).JPG
Anthene amarah amarah - Black striped hairtail
Anthene amarah amarah black striped hairtail (5).JPG
Anthene amarah amarah black stripped hairtail (2).JPG
Anthene amarah amarah black stripped hairtail (4).JPG
Anthene amarah amarah black stripped hairtail (5).JPG
Anthene amarah amarah black striped hairtail.JPG
The common hairtail is perhaps not as common here as the previously mentioned species but is still widespread and may be encountered every day often feeding at wet mud. The male, caught right, with his wings open and light shining correctly exhibits a beautiful purple right across the wings.
Anthene definita definita common hairtail male (2).JPG
Anthene definita definita - Common hairtail male
Anthene definita definita common hairtail male and flower mantis .JPG
Anthene definita definita - Common hairtail male about to get nailed by a flower mantid (luckily it escaped!)
Anthene definita definita common hairtail male.JPG
Anthene definita definita - Common hairtail male
Anthene definita definita female common hairtail (2).JPG
Anthene definita definita - Common hairtail female
Anthene definita definita female common hairtail.JPG
Anthene definita definita - Common hairtail female
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi Pauline,
I'm sorry I'm not being a help to you, but hopefully my last post will motivate you into action :D
The last few days have been very exciting here, with a few new discoveries, and so many butterflies around that I had a bit of an overload and had to go home and sit down for while!
Charaxes zoolina zoolina club tailed Charaxes kloof corner.JPG
This was the Charaxes zoolina zoolina - Club-tailed Charaxes (male) I saw a couple of days ago. I've been looking out for them all season and haven't had a positive sighting until now which makes me wonder where they have been hiding.
The butterfly in the photo is te dry season form, and judging from other species of butterflies, this form has come about only in the last two weeks. During the wet season this Charaxes is a completely different colour - that being a creamy green.
David M

Post by David M »

Amazing scenes. I never knew hyenas could be so useful! :)

Those bars are utterly stunning, Scott. We do have something of the same ilk in Europe, but only on Cyprus - Levantine Leopard.

What a pleasure it must be to have those feeding out of your hand.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:51 am Amazing scenes. I never knew hyenas could be so useful! :)

Those bars are utterly stunning, Scott. We do have something of the same ilk in Europe, but only on Cyprus - Levantine Leopard.

What a pleasure it must be to have those feeding out of your hand.
Looks like the Levantine Leopard is quite closely related to those Bars. From what I can gather the Genus Spindasis is now considered synonymous with Cigratis, the same genus that the Leopard is currently assigned too.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi David, yes hyenas are very useful when it comes to butterflies! There was a time when my grandmother's freezer was full of bags containing hyena and leopard scat!
Interestingly hyena and leopard scat is about the only faeces here that is not cleared up by dung beetles and this of course works in favour of the butterfly observer. I'm thinking that these carnivores have such strong digestive actions that, either there is so little nutrition left in the faeces, or perhaps it is too acid for the dung beetle larvae.
Anyway, a decent hyena scat can mean a few days of butterfly observations compared to maybe half an hour in the case of baboon or zebra dung.

I wasn't aware of the Levantine leopard and it's very interesting to see this species present in Cyprus and indeed it looks very similar to the species I've been seeing.

Bugboy, yes you are spot on. To identify the butterflies I'm seeing I use Pennington's butterflies of South Africa (1994) so am a bit behind with updated names, and because I've not got a good internet connection haven't the time to check. In a couple of days we must go to the 'big city' and I hope to get a copy of Steve Woodhall's new book which I expect will cover all this new information I'm missing.

Yesterday I was checking on some newly found red-leaved rock figs for larvae of fig tree blues, and although 90 percent of the trees have been killed by what looks like a fungal attack, one tree had four or five new red leaves and on these I found an almost fully grown larvae. No adults about but the previous day I saw a beautiful fig tree blue flitting about among some figs at another spot. As usual this butterfly took my breath away when it opened its wings for a bit of sun. I'll post the pics next time I have WiFi because I was interested to see some new colours thanks to the light being just right.

Regards, Scott
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Good morning,
A few shots of the last fig tree blue I saw a few days ago.
Myrina silenus ficedula fig tree blue (10).JPG
Myrina silenus ficedula - Fig tree blue
Myrina silenus ficedula fig tree blue (9).JPG
Myrina silenus ficedula fig tree blue (8).JPG

And some more Lycaenids...
There is one species of Pierrot which occurs here - Hintza pierrot and two species of pie - white and black pie
Zintha hintza hintza.JPG
Zintha hintza - Hintza pierrot
Zintha hintza -Hintza pie (2).JPG
Zintha hintza hintza Hintza pie.JPG
Tuxentius melaena melaena black pie (2).JPG
Tuxentius melaena melaena - Black pie
Tuxentius melaena melaena black pie and azanus moriqua.JPG
Tuxentius melaena melaena- Black pie
Tuxentius  melaena melaena black pie.JPG
Tuxentius melaena melaena- Black pie
Tuxentius calice calice white pie.JPG
Tuxentius calice calice - White pie
Praying mantid hatchlings.JPG
While looking for butterflies I also spotted this Praying mantid egg case with newly hatched young. Ive often seen the egg cases but this was the first time I was lucky enough to see the hatchlings in-situ
Chamaeleo dilepis dilepis flap-necked chameleon (10).JPG
Chamaeleo dilepis dilepis - Flap-necked chameleon
And peeping through the leaves while trying to photograph an orange tip a flap-necked chameleon spotted me.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some really interesting stuff Scott. Whilst you've been recovering have you had a chance to make any progress on your amazing drawings? I suspect not when you have so much wildlife to distract you :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi Pauline,

After 'dropping' so much time laying on my bed recovering I've had so much to catch up on, that drawing took a backseat for the moment. All I managed was to unpack my pictures but never made more progress.

We also have started renovations on the house bathroom and it's turning into a bigger job than planned. I'm focusing on this at the moment and hoping to finish the project before returning to UK.
Today we're in Pretoria for a visa application and should be meeting a volunteer who will stay for some weeks so hopefully she can speed up the work process :D

I hope you are starting to get some decent spring days and might be seeing some insect movement soon.
Scott
David M

Post by David M »

We've all heard of 'Fantasy Football'....this is like 'Fantasy Butterflying'. :mrgreen:

The more you continue, Scott, the greater my sense of awe at what you have visiting your homestead.

I'm well used to the wonderful things that Europe can throw up, but this is a different level, to the point where I'd quite like to request a reincarnation in a future life (although how much of this will remain in 30 years or so is worryingly prone to conjecture).
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

I wish you luck with your reincarnation David! I feel truly lucky to have the opportunity to be able to spend time in such an amazing place and hope in the future to be able to share it with other like minded individuals. The last week has been very interesting, and although I haven't had much time for butterfly watching, I have still seen some gems. The weather has changed a lot in the last weeks and nights are very cool, but many butterflies are still around and yesterday I saw one species which is extremely rare here - The Eyed pansy - Junonia orithya. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get a good photo but it had set up a territory in my vegetable garden so I hope to see it again today. The blue/grey on the hindwings of this butterfly is truly spectacular and when the light catches it right it shines so brightly that any butterfly enthusiast might find themselves led a merry dance while it skips from one spot to the next. Yesterday ended in a little frustration for me but maybe today it will be a little more cooperative.

Back to the blues..
The next on the list is the Patricia blue - Lepidochrysops patricia a large and stunning light pastel blue butterfly which is particularly hard to photograph, unless one gets lucky and finds an individual perched on a flower or grass stem. They fly fast along grassy hillsides about a metre above the ground with a bouncing pattern of flight. Up until last year I had only seen these many years ago in a spot about twenty km from the farm which has since been destroyed by development. This year I found on the farm what seems to be a healthy population which of course delighted me!
The larvae feed on lantana species and the latter instars feed on the larvae of Camponotos maculatus ants according to the literature.
Lepidochrysops patricia Patricia blue male.JPG
Lepidochrysops patricia Patricia blue
Lepidochrysops patricia Patricia blue male (6).JPG
Lepidochrysops patricia Patricia blue male (5).JPG
Lepidochrysops patricia Patricia blue male (4).JPG
Lepidochrysops patricia Patricia blue male (3).JPG
Lepidochrysops patricia Patricia blue male (2).JPG

The dusky (line) blue - Pseudonacaduba sichela sichela is a small Lycaenid which is scarce here and usually seen sucking at damp mud and sometimes on flowers.
Pseudonacaduba sichela sichela dusky blue (2).JPG
Pseudonacaduba sichela sichela - Dusky blue
Pseudonacaduba sichela sichela dusky blue.JPG
Pseudonacaduba sichela sichela - Dusky blue

The next Lycaenid is a particularly interesting butterfly because the larvae are carnivorous, feeding on sap sucking insects such as leaf and plant hopper, while the adults feed on the honey dew which these insects and other exude. The common Wooly legs - Lachnocnema bibulus is seen flying fast around trees and bushes where sap sucking insects live, but can easily be missed for it looks similar to other more common blues. Before this year I had only located one colony but during this season this butterfly popped up in some interesting spots when we lest expected it. Outside the local shop about 15km away, a wooly legs was flying around a large fig tree along with fig tree blues and once at the neighbours house one popped up around a tree next to the verandah. These sightings led me to think this species is more common here than I expected. Problem is, so far I didn't manage to take any good images because the butterflies were always just out of reach!

Lachnocnema bibulus common wooly legs.JPG
Lachnocnema bibulus common wooly legs Altyd wakker big fig.JPG
Henning's black eye - Leptomyrina henningi can pop up in most spots on the farm but is usually located on the high rocky points where the food plan- Cotelydon grows. It is usually a solitary butterfly and never found here in large numbers. Henning's black eye is particularly striking when it opens its wings and shows off the chestnut brown upper sides.
Gonatomyrina henningi hennings black eye (2).JPG
Henning's black eye - Leptomyrina henningi
Gonatomyrina henningi hennings black eye.JPG
Gonatomyrina henningi hennings black eye (4).JPG

The electricity is about to go off here due to 'load shedding' so I will have to continue soon.

Regards, Scott
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Hello Scott

I have been inspired to buy a book on South African butterflies, after following your exciting diary.

I publish an annual magazine - European Butterflies Magazine.

Would you be interested in contributing?

If the European Golf Tour can include South Africa and Australia, I don't see why I can't include the occasional article from outside Europe.

Let me know - my email is jasonsargerson88@gmail,com and I can give you further details

If you would like to see sample pages see ukbutterflies, forums, overseas, European Butterflies Magazine - or try my website jasonsargerson.uk.

Regards

Jason
David M

Post by David M »

You keep surprising us, Scott. :mrgreen:

Whilst Henning's Black Eye isn't the most colourful of butterflies, those spots are remarkably eye-catching.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Good morning,

Hi Jason, Thanks so much for your reply and I'm so happy I could inspire you with my diary. I would love to contribute to the magazine and I'll send you an email soon. It would be super to share some more of my butterfly experiences form here in SA. I also just received Steve Woodhal'ls book 'Field guide to butterlies of South Africa' which I can highly recommend.

David, The Black eye is a beautiful little creature and one that is very difficult to find by design. I know a few fairly reliable spots but even then it's not guaranteed to find one.

Yesterday, I was extremely surprised myself by a close relative of this butterfly! I'd been working all day and on the way to the shower, with a cup of tea, I visited the vegetable patch and see if anything interesting was happening. Second vegetable bed and my eyes were immediately drawn to a small and delicate butterfly with extremely long tails nectaring at a yellow brassica flower. At first I thought it must be a new hairstreak because of the long tails but then quickly realised no, it was something else, a species I never thought I'd see here - a Tailed black eye - Leptomyrina hirundo .

I was so excited to see this new species for the farm and also amazed at its beauty and delicateness, particularly the way it flies. It moves from one perch to the next with a soft and slow skipping flight seldom rising more than a few feet from the ground. And because it flies so slowly its very easy to identify in flight, unlike many of the other lycaenids which are fast and often just a flash of blue passing by. Of course the Tailed black eye has very long tails and these are another give away! I think I have never seen a butterfly with such long tails in comparison to it's size - truly special.

After sipping some nectar, sunbathing a little and comprehensively exploring the vegetable patch for 30 or 40 minutes, the Tailed black eye completed one final loop before accelerating to quite a speed to disappear up and over the trees in the direction of the mountain to the east. I suspect up there on the mountain slope must be a colony because that's where it's food plants, Cotyledon and Kalanchoe, grow.
Leptomyrina hirudo - Tailed black eye vegetable patch.JPG
Leptomyrina hirudo - Tailed black eye
Leptomyrina hirudo - Tailed black eye vegetable patch (3).JPG
Leptomyrina hirudo - Tailed black eye vegetable patch (2).JPG

The last month here on the farm has been particularly good for butterflies and along with the tailed black eye I have come across a flurry of new species. A couple of days before, we were driving with the aim to see one of the rare hairstreaks I've been searching for a long time. The area is rich in this hairstreak's food plants, the large and small leaved sourplums and I always feel confident there may be a colony or two in the area. As usual no hairstreaks showed themselves but half way along the stretch I spotted a pretty little Lycaenid land in the grass. It's underside pattern was so unique I saw immediately it was also a new species for the farm - A Mocker bronze - Cacyreus virilis.
Cacyres virilis mocker bronze. half way up right side boundary road.JPG
Cacyres virilis Mocker bronze

I was particularly impressed by the beautiful patterns on the underside of this butterfly and surprised I'd never some across a specimen before because it seems hard to confuse it with any other lycaenid. Possibly its very localised and also has an early and late brood so is easily missed if one is searching for butterflies only in the warmer summer months. Now it will be interesting to see if more specimens pop up because I'll spend some more time exploring the area where I came across it. In this particular area of the farm I suspect there may also be some more of the quite scarce Lepidochrysops or Giant cupids as they are now called. So far we have found one of these - the Patricia blue or Patrician Giant cupid - Lepidochrysops patricia, which I covered in an earlier post.

Over the last week I also experienced one of the highlights of the butterfly season here. I was awake early one morning and had walked up the road to find a spot to catch the early morning sun. At the house, the surrounding hills cut the sun in the morning by about an hour compared to some nearby areas and on a cool autumn morning to find a warm spot to watch the morning unfold is very pleasant.

Previously to this morning, for a number of weeks I had been searching for Apricot playboys and trying hard to get some decent images. Each time i'd seen one of these butterflies, it lived up to it's name, playing it's game of bobbing and diving before vanishing over the tree tops. My veg patch had proved a good spot early morning but still the lone individuals didn't stick around long enough for some images.

I had started to get a little frustrated and wondered how to find the playboys at a time when they might be a little more relaxed. And then finally it happened, on this morning, and purely by luck. I was sitting on a rock ten yards up the mountainside with the sun just peeping over the hills, warming the spot where i was sat and suddenly a large and fast lycaenid came tumbling out of the sky, landing clumsily on a small bush by the side of the road. Judging by it's build I thought it must be a playboy and upon closer inspection I found it to be a female Apricot playboy - Deudorix dinochares. The air temperate was still low but it seemed this individual timed her entrance perfectly to catch the first warming rays of the sun.
Deudorix dinochares apricot playboy (9).JPG
Deudorix dinochares - Apricot playboy female

After seeing this first Playboy I moved a little down the road to the spot where the sun's rays were warming a small area of bush where the road turns sharply to the right and then runs through the valley. The road after the turn was all in shade, but the area to the left was warming up every minute and quickly I saw more playboys dropping into the area. These powerful little butterflies, still cold from the night seemed to be throwing themselves from the surrounding trees. They would arrive fast and directly, seemingly without much control, to land on the damp grass or on the small bushes dotted about the area. After ten minutes I found I was surrounded by playboys, but not just one species! There was an equal amount of Apricot and Brown playboys - Deudorix antalus! These species have an early hatch back around September/October and then now this late hatch comes, so outside these times playboys are hard to see!

But now my frustrations ended and I had a chance to photograph and spend considerable time with these little beauties. The female Apricot playboy is far duller than the male, which is brilliant orange, but she is still a stunning little butterfly. The brown Playboy female is very similar to the apricot female, whereas the male is plain brown. The undersides give them away, with the Apricot playboy being decorated with orange markings compared to the browns on the Brown Playboy.
Deudorix dinochares apricot playboy (3).JPG
Deudorix dinochares - Apricot playboy male
Deudorix dinochares apricot playboy (5).JPG
Deudorix dinochares apricot playboy (6).JPG
Deudorix dinochares apricot playboy (8).JPG

Interestingly the Playboy's larvae don't feed on leaves but rather on seed pods of various trees and also sometimes on galls found on these trees. Both the Apricot and Brown playboys have many food plants and due to this, I suspect these species are more common here than I suspected! It's all about timing and being in the right spot at the right time!
Deudorix antalus-brown playboy female (2).JPG
Deudorix antalus - Brown playboy
Deudorix antalus-brown playboy female (3).JPG
Deudorix antalus - Brown playboy female
Deudorix antalus-brown playboy female.JPG
Deudorix antalus-brown playboy female8.JPG
Deudorix antalus-brown playboy male.JPG
Deudorix antalus - Brown playboy male

Amongst all the playboys were a few other gems of the lycaenid world. Some such as the black pie, common hairtail and common blue I've already mentioned but the next Lycaenid is particularly special and one that is never seen in great numbers until this, and subsequent mornings at this special spot.

There are two species of the Sapphire here on the farm, The Straight-line Sapphire - Iolaus silaris silaris and Trimen's Sapphire (Protea sapphire) - Iolaus trimeni and both are exceptionally stunning insects with pure white undersides and brilliant blue shining upper sides. When flying, if you're lucky enough to spot one they are unmistakable with the white and blue flashing as they rapidly flit around trees or pass by on their way to some urgent business. Probably the easiest place to see Sapphires is to look for them on the hill tops for they are avid hill toppers and will be found up there most days, chasing each other with rapid flight and sitting up in the tree tops.

Of course to take a photo of a sapphire is not so easy if they are hill topping as they will rarely come within reach. So for photographing these butterflies, the best chance is in the morning when they come down for a drink on wet leaves or earth. It seems males come down earliest and then the females follow later in the morning usually after ten o'clock, although this is not a hard and fast rule.

Up until now the main area for spotting these butterflies was my vegetable patch. Spend enough time there and at some point through the morning a few individuals will descent and sit on a plant leaf to sip water. After a few minutes they will usually open their wings to catch some warmth but then if disturbed too much will rapidly leave over the surrounding trees. While drinking however, they can be touched and show very little response until they have finished their breakfast.

So back on Butterfly corner (which I mentioned a few posts ago when I saw around a 1000 butterflies mud puddling) the Playboys arrived first and a little later the sapphires arrived after the heat had increased a little. First I saw a brilliant blue flash in a tree about twenty metres away which was a Trimen's sapphire, wings spread, catching some sun. Next others started arriving, and like the playboys dropped fast into the damp grass where they started sipping dew. And then after a while they started opening their wings to catch some of the sun's rays. On the third morning I visited the corner, the sun was late because of cloud, but when the sun did arrive the butterflies arrived very fast and I saw the most sapphires I have seen in one spot. After a few minutes there were at least ten sitting around a small area and it was difficult to know where to look and what to photograph. Between these and numerous other species it was undoubtedly a red letter day for me.
Iolaus silarus silarus straight line sapphire (7).JPG
Iolaus silarus silarus - Straight line sapphire female
Iolaus silarus silarus straight line sapphire (8).JPG
Iolaus silarus silarus - Straight line sapphire
Iolaus silarus silarus straight line sapphire female.JPG
Iolaus silarus silarus - Straight line sapphire female
Iolaus trimeni Trimens sapphire (3).JPG
Iolaus trimeni - Trimens sapphire
Iolaus trimeni Trimens sapphire (4).JPG
Iolaus trimeni Trimens sapphire (6).JPG
Iolaus trimeni Trimens sapphire (11).JPG
Iolaus trimeni Trimens sapphire female (2).JPG
Iolaus trimeni - Trimens sapphire female
Iolaus trimeni Trimens sapphire female.JPG
Iolaus trimeni - Trimens sapphire female
Iolaus trimeni - trimens sapphire1.JPG

The straight line and Trimens sapphire are fairly easy to tell apart from the undersides, the straight line sapphire having a transverse red line, often but not always straight, while the Trimen's sapphire has a black, sometimes broken, transverse line. The upper sides of the males are more difficult to tell apart but I believe my images are correct. The females upper sides are quite different with the Straight line sapphire female having far more red in the hind wing marginal band than the Trimen's, while both have more whitish blue on the upper sides than the males.

Ok That's it for now because as usual the electricity will cut very soon!

Regards from SA, Scott

Return to “Personal Diaries”