Leptidaea ID

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
David M

Leptidaea ID

Post by David M »

Had this sent to me as a putative Fenton's Wood White.

Never seen this species so I'm not confident to say, although it looks a little strange for sinapis.

Anyone got any experience with this one? It's from Romania:
Fentons_Wood_White_morsei_JanosOlah.jpg
petesmith

Re: Leptidaea ID

Post by petesmith »

Like you David I have no experience (yet :D ) of Fenton's Wood White, so am also unsure. I am trying to convince myself that there is a hint of the falcate about the forewing tip as indicated below, but it's a bit tenuous...

thumb_9162_3daaa50487b08204d42aa6a0f95370fd.jpeg
thumb_9162_3daaa50487b08204d42aa6a0f95370fd.jpeg (18.25 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I like this very much for morsei. The combination of the slightly falcate forewing and the evenly reticulate appearance of the underside hindwing all look good for the summer brood of this species. I've only seen one morsei, in Hungary in 1994, and I wasn't able to chase it for a photo (I was leading a schools conservation group in the Boronka valley). In flight it looked large and paper-white and I knew 100% it wasn't a wood white, even though it didn't settle in my sight.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Pete/Guy.

Mindful of the falcate forewing, I compared the image to those of sinapis but the feature was insufficiently clear in my mind (although there does seem to be a slight 'hook' just below the apex).

As you say, Guy, it was the reticulated pattern of the unhs shading that made it look quite unlike any sinapis I've ever seen. Clearly, it's not duponcheli, so I think morsei has to be the choice.

Return to “Identification”