Greenwings: Italian Alps 16-23 June 2022

David M

Greenwings: Italian Alps 16-23 June 2022

Post by David M »

This was the second tour to the Piedmont Alps; the first being way back in 2019. A new hotel was chosen as a single base and it proved to be a good decision as the group were camped in prime butterfly territory, much of which could be found immediately outside by the track running adjacent to the river.

I had the pleasure to team up with UKB's Pete Eeles and Ben Greenaway, and apart from a soaking from a storm on the final afternoon, the weather was very warm and settled, meaning that lots of fabulous butterflies were seen.

The scenery is particularly nice in this part of the Alps, very green and welcoming. Here's a sample:
0.Ithabitat1(1).jpg
0.Ithabitat2(1).jpg
0.Ithabitat3(1).jpg
0.Ithabitat4(1).jpg
0.Ithabitat5(1).jpg
0.Ithabitat6(1).jpg
0.Ithabitat7(1).jpg
0.Ithabitat8(1).jpg
selbypaul

Re: Greenwings: Italian Alps 16-23 June 2022

Post by selbypaul »

I love the scenery shots, and can't wait to read the full report (having heard the highlights last week)
David M

Post by David M »

Plenty of highlights, Paul....and the scenery is as good as anywhere in Europe. :)
David M

Post by David M »

The principal aim of this tour is to see the local populations of Scarce Fritillary. This was an early season, and as a result many of the maturna were past their best. There were several presentable ones still on the wing though:
2.Itmaturnauns(1).jpg
2.Itmaturnaups(1).jpg
This female posing upside down looked like a Duke of Burgundy at first glance:
2.Itmaturnaupsdown(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

The undoubted highlight of this trip was the visit to a quarry on a Sunday afternoon. This is a working quarry but the western edge is a distance away from the busy area, and given it was the sabbath in a catholic country there was nobody around.

We ventured a few metres up the track and saw a Swallowtail flying around the slopes. There was something about it that looked a bit 'different' so I scrambled up the slope and took an image of it as it approached some flowers:
3.ItAlexanor1(1).jpg
It was immediately clear that this was alexanor, the butterfly we'd hoped to see, and for the next few minutes we all watched as two or three were seen floating around the slopes, although getting near them was impossible.

Then, as we were back by the entrance, one of the guests said there was one behind him and I said I could see two. They both disappeared into the steep gully behind the entrance but did not re-emerge.

I suspected that this could be a male and female and went into the gully to investigate. At that moment, Ben appeared from the higher slope and managed to spot them in cop part-way up the bank:
3.ItAlexanor3(1)(1).jpg
Suddenly, most of the guests forgot how difficult climbing dusty, prickly slopes was and within a couple of minutes almost everybody in the group had come over to take a look at this rare event:
3.ItAlexanor2(1).jpg
Both butterflies were pristine, and the blue bands on the female were particularly striking.

I've never had such a spectacular introduction to a new species for me in my life, and I doubt I will ever see such a thing again.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

What gorgeous butterflies David. Congratulations on finding them and your fantastic photos. That's an encounter that you won't forget in a hurry!

Sarah.
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Looking forward to see more David :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Sarah. It was indeed an encounter to trump almost everything else I've ever seen. 8)

Plenty more to come, John, although aside from maturna I suspect you've seen it all already.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Congratulations on that one David. Alexanor is a superb species, and that's an enviable photograph of a mating pair. I have never seen this species in cop.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Pete. I've never seen any of the Swallowtails in-cop, so this was an extremely fortuitous moment and one I doubt will ever be repeated.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Suddenly, most of the guests forgot how difficult climbing dusty, prickly slopes was and within a couple of minutes almost everybody in the group had come over to take a look at this rare event:
I know how that feels. I've currently got a bit of a gammy knee but if a Camberwell Beauty was to fly past me I'd still have a good stab at breaking the hundred metre world record!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Indeed, Paul. :D

It was almost comical how the bulk of the group, many of them a lot older than me, somehow found reserves of energy to clamber over a steep slope and down an embankment. I guess mating alexanor can have that effect - they should bottle it!
David M

Post by David M »

Another noteworthy event was the appearance of Cynthia's Fritillary on the first day when we stopped at Col de la Lombarde. Pete Eeles and a couple of others saw and photographed it although I didn't see it myself.

We returned on the penultimate day and saw another on the Italian side of the col, and this one was a fairly worn individual meaning that it too had been around for several days:
4.ItCynthia(1).jpg
There have been times when we do not see Cynthia's even during the first week in the French Alps (normally last week in June) so for them to be about on 16th June is quite extraordinary and a sign of how early the season is this year.
David M

Post by David M »

One of the other notable features of this trip was the sheer numbers of Apollos. They seem to have had a good year in 2022 as I've seen plenty of them on all my tours since late May, but never before had I notched up close to three figures on virtually every single day.

There were dozens of them floating around, and it only took a one minute walk from the hotel to find them gliding around the river and settling on the thistles.

They are always a joy to see:
5.ItApollo1(1).jpg
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Mating Swallowtails of any species seem to be very rare, as they seem to be secretive, so your alexanor image really is a rare event.

In 2009 I saw a mating pair of machaon, also up a steep scree and I managed to get a photo. I have since had several requests to use the image in books and films, which tends to suggest to me that there haven’t been too many to choose from.

I note that the image for the Greenwings Italian Alps tour is of my female alexanor (not that it was taken in Italy) – very prophetic!

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Roger. Must admit, I've never seen machaon nor podalirius/feisthameli in cop so to see alexanor this way within 20 minutes of coming across it for the first time was remarkable good fortune!

Your image was used because this is one of the three species around which this trip is designed (the others being maturna and alcon).

Pleased to say we recorded all three this time! :D
David M

Post by David M »

Hesperiidae

A good selection of these seen, although I rarely bother photographing them. This resplendent Safflower Skipper made me reach for my camera though:
9.ItCarthami(1).jpg
1. Dingy Skipper
2. Mallow Skipper
3. Marbled Skipper
4. Tufted Marbled Skipper
5. Red Underwing Skipper
6. Safflower Skipper
7. Southern Grizzled Skipper
8. Olive Skipper
9. Alpine Grizzled Skipper
10. Oberthur's Grizzled Skipper
11. Large Grizzled Skipper
12. Essex Skipper
13. Small Skipper
14. Large Skipper
David M

Post by David M »

Lycaenidae - Coppers

Did well with these. All five cropped up and Scarce Copper was certainly not scarce:
7.ItScarceCopp(1).jpg
7.ItScarceCoppuns(1).jpg
Purple Edged Coppers were just as plentiful:
7.ItPECoppmale(1).jpg
Purple Shot Coppers were fewer in number but just as spectacular:
7.ItPSCopp(1).jpg
Both Small and Sooty Coppers were around in smallish numbers.

15. Small Copper
16. Scarce Copper
17. Sooty Copper
18. Purple Shot Copper
19. Purple Edged Copper
David M

Post by David M »

Lycaenidae - Blues

We managed to find Alcon Blue at a new site this year, although I believe the early season put paid to the chances of seeing Reverdin's Blue, which was recorded here in 2019.

Some of this group included...

Mountain Argus:
7.ItMtnArg(1).jpg
Turquoise Blue:
7.ItTurqBl(1).jpg
Escher's Blue:
7.ItEscheri(1).jpg
Silvery Argus:
7.ItSvryArg(1).jpg
20. Lang's Short Tailed Blue
21. Small Blue
22. Short-Tailed Blue
23. Provençal Short-Tailed Blue
24. Holly Blue
25. Green Underside Blue
26. Large Blue
27. Alcon Blue
28. Silver Studded Blue
29. Idas Blue
30. Geranium Argus
31. Brown Argus
32. Mountain Argus
33. Mazarine Blue
34. Escher's Blue
35. Turquoise Blue
36. Amanda's Blue
37. Chapman's Blue
38. Common Blue
39. Adonis Blue
40. Damon Blue
41. Chalkhill Blue
42. Silvery Argus
David M

Post by David M »

Lycaenidae - Hairstreaks

Very poor is all I can say, with more Green Hairstreaks about than any other in this group.

43. Green Hairstreak
44. Blue Spot Hairstreak
45. Ilex Hairstreak
46. Sloe Hairstreak

Return to “Trip Reports”