Small Copper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16

From the ‘silvers’ and onto the ‘smalls’ which must mean that there aren’t that many weeks remaining before the grand finale and the Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo…so now’s the time to be doing your last minute selection and/or making sure that you’re happy with your choice! The few remaining weeks will fly by.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Re: Small Copper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by Allan.W. »

At my small local sites in mid-Kent,Small Coppers were in short supply . None at all on my local "lockdown " walk ,and only one or two in the Orlestone forest and elsewhere .The exception was the ever reliable Dungeness peninsular . The third brood in particular was excellent ,with very high numbers on the wing,we had 2 ,400 + counts (best 469 ) and the observatory warden counted over 500 in a different (and smaller ) area.
Fair few Abberant individuals this year ,mainly in the third brood ,the one pictured is close to AB;Obseleta (but not quite ) and the first i,ve found.
P1070322 (2).JPG
P1070318 (2).JPG
P1070825 (3).JPG
Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Not a vintage year for them this year in my experience but when checking out a new site for Green Hairstreak for me in the spring, there were a few very attractive Small Coppers including a mating pair.
Small Copper mating, Wanstead Park.JPG
Small Copper, Wanstead Park.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

This from late in the season on the south coast.
Small Copper - Lancing, Sussex 9-Oct-2021
Small Copper - Lancing, Sussex 9-Oct-2021
Vince
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A poor year for Small Coppers around my patch and also apparently around the rest of Warwickshire. They failed to appear at a couple of my local spots and at those they did, it was only in ones and twos.
On the other hand I found one at the local park by my mom's house which is a site where I have only seen a single example before and that was some years ago, therefore this one qualifies as my favourite.
Small Copper - Langley Hall 20.08.2021
Small Copper - Langley Hall 20.08.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

For me, Small Copper are one of the highlights of the end of the season and some nice weather in October allowed me to enjoy the last butterflies of 2021.
Attachments
Small Copper, 11 October
Small Copper, 11 October
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

My photo of an ab that was flying at Hutchinsons Bank in the cutting scrape area for a couple of weeks during June.
DSC01894s.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Copper

This Small Copper instantly became my Favourite as it was the most memorable Small Copper of the year for me. Sometimes this would have been because it was an unusual variant or because it displayed a particularly fine set of blue badges, maybe because it was beautifully fresh and crisp or because it came from a mighty fine meet up or family event which meant the memory of it was emblazoned on my hippocampus. This one however was chose for none of those reasons. I saw it back at the start of June when the species was coming to the end of the brood and so it was worn and a little tired looking but it was chosen as my favourite as it was the first one that I’d seen during my lunchtime wanderings on the school field.
08-06-2021 2.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Didn’t see too many small coppers in 2021. My first were at Glasdrum on 6th June and then at Fallin Bing on 24th July.
Attachments
Fallin 24th July
Fallin 24th July
Fallin 24th July
Fallin 24th July
Fallin 24th July
Fallin 24th July
Glasdrum 6th June
Glasdrum 6th June
Glasdrum 6th June
Glasdrum 6th June
Glasdrum 6th June
Glasdrum 6th June
Glasdrum 6th June
Glasdrum 6th June
millerd

Post by millerd »

I had another good year with this species in 2021, with a selection of nice individuals on my local patch as well as some great examples elsewhere. However, amongst all of the splendid butterflies I encountered, a few stood out. First was a mating pair at Rewell Wood (7th May), amidst a little cluster of the species sheltering in a sunny spot by a log pile shared with some of the PBF.
SC5 070521.JPG
I have rarely seen this species in cop., so I was pleased to watch these two get together. The next memorable sighting came at Denbies on 29th July almost a year to the day and in very nearly the same spot as a cracking ab. I'd seen in 2020. It was not the same as that one, but a striking butterfly nevertheless.
SCab11 290721.JPG
Amazingly, just a few days later I was down at Staines Moor and found this unusually marked specimen.
SCab13 010821.JPG
Finally, no account of my 2021 Small Copper season would be complete without mentioning the individual I managed to follow on an almost daily basis for nearly six weeks in early Autumn. I saw it first on 12th September, when it was probably a couple of days old...
SC3 120921.JPG
...and for the last time on 19th October.
SC2 191021.JPG
Extraordinary longevity for something so small encountering increasingly shorter days and poorer and poorer weather: I became quite attached to it! :)
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

This first image was chosen because it shows the earliest Small Copper I've ever seen - on 3rd April near the Swansea coast:
1.SC1a(1).jpg
But the most attractive was probably this lovely specimen found at Port Eynon, Gower, in late August:
27.SmCopp(1).jpg

Return to “Small Copper”