Large Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 9

Another week passes which just means that we’re one week closer to the new season…at least that’s the way that I’m looking at it :wink: .

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
petesmith

Re: Large Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by petesmith »

I couldn't choose between the male and the female below! Both from Lincolnshire in late June.
Large Skipper male 2.JPG
Large Skipper female.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took my photo of the Large Skipper at what was a local haunt for me this would be in June, It was one of the last times I think that I went back having been bitten by a dog there, I got too busy after that :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4108.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Large Skippers usually appear around my patch in the first week of June with good years sometimes producing the first individuals at the end of May.
This year I did not see my first one until our week in Dorset when I found a couple at Durdle Door on 12th June.

Back home the following week, I found they had also appeared with fresh examples of both sexes flying at my local spots. The seemed to have an average year with reasonable numbers flying through July but not lasting long after that, at least not around my patch.

I like this fresh male seen on 11th July at my local spot by Wagon Lane...
Large Skipper male - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
Large Skipper male - Wagon Lane 11.07.2021
...but my favourite shot is probably this one taken on Bindon Hill above Lulworth Cove on 13th June, simply because of the memories of a particularly good time down there this year.
Large Skipper with my son Chris in the background - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Large Skipper with my son Chris in the background - Bindon Hill 13.06.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:02 pmI took my photo of the Large Skipper at what was a local haunt for me this would be in June..
That female is stunning, Goldie. You see far, far fewer of these than the males, sadly.
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't take many images of this species in 2021. This is one of the first I saw on 8 June this year on the Swansea coast:
08.LgeSk(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Large Skipper

This was taken back at the very start of their flight on one of my many and brief sojourns from work at lunchtime. It was the clear choice as my Favourite because of the unusual posture it was holding. I’ve seen skippers hold their wings closed and in classic X-wing formation, and I’ve seen some species holding their wings flat and in one plane like a ‘typical’ butterfly or moth (obviously Grizzlies and Dingies as well the occasionally Smessex) but I’ve never seen a Large Skipper sit in this style. Looking at it now and recalling that it stayed like this for a fair while I’m wondering if this is freshly emerged and so it letting its wings harden?
17-06-2021 12.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I rather like this habitat shot of my first sighting of the year on my local patch.
LS5 140621.JPG
For a few short weeks, a handful of this species rule over this stretch of path, chasing each other and anything else that comes near (especially hutchinsoni Commas... :) ).

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

On a day Looking for Black Hairstreak at Epsom in overcast weather.
Large Skipper male, Epsom Common.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Large Skipper”