UNUSUAL FOODPLANT FOR LARGE WHITE

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Allan.W.

UNUSUAL FOODPLANT FOR LARGE WHITE

Post by Allan.W. »

I wonder if anyone has any ideas ,as to what these Large White larvae were feeding on . I stumbled across a batch of feeding larvae ,on a visit to the gardens at Great Dixter in East Sussex ,it certainly wasn,t a Brassica as far as i can tell ,don,t know why i never paid more attention to the plant ,but i wonder if it could be Comfrey or similar ...........................any thoughts ?
Regards Allan.W.
P1070246 (2).JPG
P1070245.JPG
David M

Re: UNUSUAL FOODPLANT FOR LARGE WHITE

Post by David M »

Whatever it is, Allan, they are clearly eating it judging by the image.

It'd be surprising if the plant wasn't a crucifer.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello David ,
I,m pretty sure that the leaves were hairy like Comfrey or Burdock ,and as you say the larvae were certainly tearing into them ,i,m fairly certain that the plant wasn,t of the cabbage or Radish family ..........................for the life of me ,can,t understand why i never paid more attention !
Regards Allan.W. Have a Happy Christmas ! Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The leaves are not unlike those of Honesty - which is sometimes used by Orange Tips as a foodplant. I've found Large White larvae feeding on Garlic Mustard (a firm favourite of Orange Tips of course), so there may be a link developing here. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Dave ,
Yes the leaves do look very similar to Honesty as you say,although the edges are not quite so serrated ,but i reckon you could be on the right lines ,thanks for looking.! Regards Allan.W.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

My analysis.
This was "annual honesty" (a thought to be, rubbish name for a biennial). In a big family called Brassicaceae (might give one a clue).
These biggish leaves were from plants, before they overwintered and flower bolted the following Spring, at about the same time an Orange-tip butterfly might emerge from pupa.
The big Large White caterpillars might have summer exhausted a food supply on a different host plant, where the eggs were laid in batches, before going for a walk for more food and pupation.
Kind Regards,
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The leaves are not unlike those of Honesty - which is sometimes used by Orange Tips as a foodplant.
Could the plant be the rather similar Sweet Rocket (aka Dames Violet)?

I grow Sweet Rocket in my garden.  It makes an excellent cut flower for the vase, and has a wonderful scent. The bonus is that Orange Tips readily lay on the plant.  So beneath the vase, I look for droppings (on a suitable kitchen paper), locate the caterpillar - and I now have a dozen or more chrysalises in plastic boxes.  The boxes will be transferred to the fridge (at around +5C) in November.  In the spring, they will be allowed to warm up and get some overnight moisture about two weeks before anticipated emergence of the local wild OTs.  I found in the early trials, leaving outside all winter resulted in premature emergence.  I've been doing this for some 40 years and have a very high success rate.  No need for any airholes in the plastic boxes, but an occasional check is made for mould.

Jack
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Doesn't look like either Honesty or Sweet Rocket to me. Would be good to seethe flowers but almost definitely a non-native crucifer.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”