Old Butterfly books

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
bugboy

Re: Old Butterfly books

Post by bugboy »

Richard South’s The Butterflies of the British Isles has had many reprints and revised editions over the years but was first published back in 1906. I also have a copy from 1960 which is by and large the same with just a couple of notable edits.
1-tile.JPG
His choice of common names in the first edition are what we know them all as today although he does mention several older names (still in popular use at the time) in the species descriptions. “The Gatekeeper: Other English names in use at the present time for this butterfly are ‘Small Meadow Brown’, ‘Hedge Brown’ and ‘Large Heath’ but the latter is more often applied to another species…

That other species still has a few other names mentioned, it must have been really very confusing to know what you were catching in your net at the turn of the twentieth century with all these various names being used by the different enthusiasts and naturalists.
Large Heath.JPG
The scotica version in this book goes by the name ‘Scotch Large Heath’ (oddly in the 1960 version it’s changed to Large Heath Scotch) and this particular book even came with remains of an actual butterfly, inadvertently gifted from the previous owner. I think it is a Scotica Large Heath although it could be a large Small Heath.
Large Heath #2.JPG
The discovery of the Berger’s Clouded Yellow was still yet to come, but it’s interesting to see that the depiction of the Pale Clouded Yellow larvae is clearly that of what we now know as a Berger’s, even complete with it being shown on its sole LHP, Horseshoe Vetch.
4.JPG
As for the adult Pale Clouded Yellow image, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the male is actually a Berger’s.
3.JPG
Both these images are amended in the later addition.
6-tile.JPG
The full details of the Large Blue lifecycle were very close to being uncovered in the first edition!
Large Blue.JPG
A little snippet from the Essex Skippers entry could have been written yesterday :) , I can confirm that the Essex Skipper is still very abundant at Hadleigh!
Essex.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Another new acquisition, this book is basically a collection of lists but the colour plates are rather nice. It’s undated but a previous owner has scribbled 1933 on the inside cover. It’s more likely from around the turn of the twentieth century though given the sentence “As the larvae of L. arion, said to feed on Wild Thyme, is practically unknown…” combined with the presence of the Essex Skipper as identified species would suggest.
IMG_0001.JPG
The first list is an index of common names, including alternative names meaning some species get several entries, the Camberwell Beauty and Wall both get five entries and ‘Wood Lady’ takes you to the three separate species who have been named such over the years (Orange-tip, Wood White and Speckled Wood). The Heath Fritillary gets a couple of names I’ve not come across before, White May Fritillary and Wood Fritillary. There’s other lists of scientific species names, families and genus, then genus and species.
The plates, as I’ve said, are the main attraction for me though:
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
And some for those of you into the dark side to get your teeth into :)
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great book this one Bugboy ,nice illustrations ! obviously taken from set specimens ,but nicely executed . There is a modern version of this book which i believe was printed in 1988 (or should i say re-printed )....................Good thread ,very enjoyable !
Regards Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Allan, glad you're enjoying it :)

This is Henry Tibbats Stainton’s book from 1867, a well-known and well-connected entomologist of the 19th century. All known UK butterflies get a mention in the text, though no Essex Skipper or Berger’s Clouded Yellows at this stage, but only nine are illustrated which is a shame since the plates are rather nice.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
Here's an idea if your struggling to find a Purple Emperor (I’m joking, please don’t nail a weasel to a tree!)
IMG_0003.JPG
In some previous books the author’s were bemused by the disappearance of L. dispar but Stainton clearly knew the reason. According to google maps Whittlesea Mere is just a stones-throw from Holme Fen Nature Reserve just south of Peterborough.
IMG_0004.JPG
There’s a few familiar locations for the Chequered Skipper, familiar these days for the Black Hairstreak though, and also a note of the Suffolk population.
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Still a few books to get through. This one is another of the Kirby's offerings, William Egmont and co-written with the help of August Wilhelm Kappel, the then assistant libraian to the Linnean Society. It's undated but the first edition of this book was in 1895 which I believe this to be.
IMG_0002.JPG
It's a large book, nearly 300 pages and once again the colour plates are beautiful
IMG_0004.JPG
5 and 6a are labeled the wrong way round.
5 and 6a are labeled the wrong way round.
IMG_0006.JPG
A lot of these old books refer to the Silver-spotted Skipper as the Pearl Skipper, a name I prefer. The foodplant choices listed here are a bit wide of the post though.
IMG_0010.JPG
It covers non UK species so there's not a great deal of room for much text for each species, most just getting a paragraph or two but some of the more well known races/subspecies/abs. do get a mention. Here the common name Speckled Wood is retained specifically for our northern race.
IMG_0011-tile.JPG
The same retainer for the common name is used for the Mountain Ringlet and both that and the Heath Fritillary are casually mentioned as being found in Ireland, not for the first time in these early books.
IMG_0014-tile.JPG
Another curiosity with these early books is the designation for the Polyommatus and Lycaena which are opposite to what we now use them for. I'm not sure when they were swapped over :?
IMG_0016-tile.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

This ones from 1893 by William John Lucas. Another book that puts the Pierids in the Papilionidae family
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
It becomes a little depressing looking through all these old books with recurring themes like the opening sentance for the PBF, not the first time it's stated as being really common :(
IMG_0004.JPG
The images are all b&w and seem to be a mixture of drawings and photos, the uppers of many species being real set specimens but not always identifiable as in the case of the DGF here:
IMG_0005.JPG
This was a time when the Comma was a great rarety and the author is also unsure about how many generations it has. Its entry ends stating some individuals are paler and could represent a suspected early brood.
IMG_0006.JPG
The author also delights in anglicising some of the scientific names, hence the Hairstreaks become 'Thecla of the (insert foodplant)' and the Orange-tip becomes 'the butterfly of the cuckoo-flower'
IMG_0007.JPG
He also sounds a bit dismissive over the idea of butterfly migrations
IMG_0008.JPG
This is another book that claims the Brimstone and the Cleopatra are one in the same, although I think it's from the same source as that stated in Colemans 1867 book.
IMG_0009.JPG
The book ends with a 'collectors diary', detailing what stage of each species can be found in each month. The author still has few question marks on some species, Lycaena acis is the Mazarine Blue.
IMG_0010-tile.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The Rev. Francis Orpin Morris's book is one of the more sought after early publications on British Butterflies, first editions in good condition can go for £250 - £300. My copy is a third edition from 1863 and being a little worn, cost significantly less (only 2 figures :wink: )
#1.JPG
the colour plates are beautifully hand painted by the author and have mostly stood the test of time. He even threw in the odd abberation here and there.
#2.JPG
#3.JPG
Being the middle of the 19th century many of the common names used hadn't yet been fixed in stone.
#4.JPG
and the meadows and hedgrows were awash with Meadow Browns of various species
#5.JPG
#6.JPG
#7.JPG
The Large Heath is simply called the 'Heath Butterfly' but Morris also describes a third species of Coenonympha to be present in the UK
#8.JPG
Based on the species name used he seems to be talking about the Scarce Heath, but the Large Heath was also called hero at one stage so perhaps there was some miscommunication going on, although the the two specimens recorded as being captured were both in Sussex so.... :?:

A few other species get their own entries that we're unlikely to see today, the Great Spangled Fritillary, the American Painted Lady and the now infamous Meadow Argus records
#9.JPG
#11.JPG
#10.JPG
Given the now regular immigration of the LTB perhaps it's time to resurrect one of it's first common names :)
#12.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

You have some collection of books there Bugboy ! are you moving steadily towards your Frohawks ??
Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

bugboy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:10 pm
Given the now regular immigration of the LTB perhaps it's time to resurrect one of it's first common names :)
Unfortunately the "Brighton Argus" is the name of a prominent local newspaper, so (though a brilliantly appropriate idea) this is probably a non-starter... :)

These old books are absolutely fascinating - you've done well to find them all, Buggy. I've looked in vain for similar items in lots of second-hand bookshops, but I should probably get up to date and search online. :wink: :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Oh Allan, you mentioned the 'F' word :lol: there may be some Frohawk, although his first magnum opus is a bit beyond my bank balance :(
Maybe it can become their emblem and they can throw a bit of money towards BC :) Dave. Yes second hand bookshops is where I found my first few but more recently certain online auction sites have been productive. This past year or so I've found myself with a bit of spare cash (since I've not been propping up Southern Railways with my monthly salary) so I have splurged a bit :oops:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of books from more recent history this time, (and fond memories from my childhood) but since I've reached the half century mark myself recently, causing a flurry of comments about me being an antique from work colleagues, I guess anything from my childhood fits this thread :roll: :lol: .

The first book is a bit older than me, undated but somewhere in the 50's and is basically a children's storybook, each chapter telling a story of Mary and Peter's exploration of the countryside and the butterflies they find in various habitats. Despite it being a simple story book it is filled with factual information easily digestible by the target audience. The colour plates are definitely of the era and wouldn't look out of place on a decorative dinner plate in granny's front room :)
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
An excerpt that sounds very familiar to me, they could actually be talking about me on Denbies hillside in May :lol:
1.JPG
The second book is from 1961 and once again full of factual information readily understood by younger minds. I can still clearly remember avidly reading this book back in the late 70's/early 80's.
IMG_0007.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well since Allan dropped the 'F' word a couple of days ago, here's a book by the man known as Frohawk.
#1.JPG
Not a great deal to say about it other than it's simply all about abberations, a brief introduction as to the causes of them and then straight into the images painted by the great man himself.
SWF.JPG
SPBF.JPG
Marbled White.JPG
GVW #1.JPG
GVW #2.JPG
a little something for Wurzel ;-)
a little something for Wurzel ;-)
DGF.JPG
Chalkhill #1.JPG
Chalkhill #2.JPG
Brimstone.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

You got there then Bugboy ! Excellent book this one , and about the only one (frohawk ) that i could run to ! i think my copy
looks a bit tattier than yours ...............but no matter .............Great book .
Regards Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A book from 1926. The images are all set specimens, uppers all in colour and a selection of unders in faded b&w plus some set larvae and the then newest member of the British list, the Essex Skipper. No idea how anyone was going to successfully use the image to identify that particular butterfly though :lol: !
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003-tile.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
Despite the date (2 years after Frohawk’s 2 volume book had been finally published) the life history of the Large blue is pretty much ignored and under that an interesting statement that the DoB is double brooded in the south.
IMG_0008-tile.JPG
The Large Copper gets a rather sobering entry :(
IMG_0011-tile.JPG
And this is another book that claims the Heath Fritillary is found in Ireland. Under that the Comma gets a colourful opening line, I had to get google’s assistance to find the definition of that word :) .
IMG_0013.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A great thread Bugboy and I have really enjoyed catching up on it. You have some fascinating old books there containing some lovely illustrations :D.

None of mine are anywhere near as old as some of yours. I think that the oldest I have are 1930s or 1940s, I haven't looked at them for ages but this thread has prompted me to dig them out and have a look.
Allan.W. wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:39 pm ...There is a modern version of this book which i believe was printed in 1988 (or should i say re-printed )...
Yes, I have a copy of the 1988 reprint...picked up from a charity shop a few years back if my memory serves me right.

As you say, it is little more than a series of lists but the illustrations are quite charming even if some of the moths are rather fanciful :)
DSC_4039 resize.JPG
DSC_4040 resize.JPG
DSC_4041 resize.JPG
Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Neil, I've seen that book but never flicked through it so hadn't realised it's a modern re-print of an antique :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There really were an awful lot of butterfly books out there at the turn of the 20th century, here’s another one from 1912, by Henry Rowland-Brown, all the UK ones and a smattering of continental ones thrown in.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
All these old authors seem to have their own quirks when writing, Henry decided to anglicise the French and German vernacular names for all those described. He also gives the Apaturids et al. their own family.
IMG_0006-tile.JPG
IMG_0009-tile.JPG
IMG_0011-tile.JPG
Some other rather poetic names include (in French and German respectively) the ‘Large Silver Necklet’ and ‘Wood Violet Mother-of-pearl Butterfly’ for the PBF, ‘Little Silver Necklet’ and ‘Brown-spotted Mother-of-pearl’ for the SPBF, ‘Lesser Mother-of-pearl Butterfly’ and ‘Spring Violet Mother-of-pearl’ for the HBF, ‘Large Mother-of-pearl’ in both countries for the DGF and the ‘Spanish Tobacco Butterfly’ and ‘Emperors Robe’ for the SWF. Whether any of these presumably rather literal translations are relevant today I can’t say.

A little comment about a newly discovered Green Hairstreak by a T. A. Chapman, I wonder what common name to give it?
IMG_0015-tile.JPG
David Simcox

Post by David Simcox »

And here he is.

Rowland Brown was a keen collector of Large blues in the Cotswolds.

Great thread!
Attachments
Roland-Browne.jpeg
Rowland Brown.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks David, I'm glad you're enjoying this thread too :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here we have William Samuel Furneaux's 1894 book in a 1919 reprint. The colour plates are all set specimens
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
although I think the b&w imagies accompanying the text are more pleasing to the eye. Here we see statements of the Silver-studded Blues in Scotland and Ireland (in this book there's no Heath Fritillary in Ireland).
SSB.JPG
another observation of the PBF being common everywhere you go in England :(
PBF.JPG
some very descriptive language on how to tempt a Purple Emperor from the canopy once again
PE.JPG
and like many of his peers at the time, the whole idea of butterfly migration was very embryonic at best to Furneaux
PL.JPG
PCY.JPG
CY.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Another new acquisition to my library, this is a William Forshell Kirby offering from 1907.
#1.JPG
The layout is very similar to the other Kirby’s book on European butterflies and moths (5th entry on this page). The colour plates are gorgeous and some of the European experts might have a bit of fun identifying some of the Fritillaries and Blues.
#2.JPG
#2a.JPG
#3.JPG
#3a.JPG
#4.JPG
#4a.JPG
#5.JPG
#5a.JPG
Some early Pyrgus identification aides, although in this book they all belong to the genus Hesperia.
IMG_0020.JPG
As well as the alternative vernacular names already seen accompanying the images shown, we also have (more appropriately given the foodplant choice) ‘Evergreen Oak Hairstreak’ for the Ilex Hairstreak, ‘Green Under-wing Copper’ for the Provence Hairstreak, ‘Large-eyed Wall Brown’ for the Large Wall Brown and ‘White Spotted Tortoiseshell’ for the False Comma.

Here’s another reference to Coenonympha hero being on the British list, only previously noted by Rev. Morris. Kirby notes, rightly, it to be an erroneous record.
IMG_0021.JPG
Finally something for the moth people to look at :)
#6.JPG
#6a.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Something that I've noticed whilst doing this thread is how misinformation spreads and almost becomes set in stone until someone actually questions it. In two separate books I’ve read the false assumption that the Brimstone and Cleopatra were one in the same species, and there’s several statements about the Heath Fritillary being found in the south of Ireland. I’ve actually had conversations with Millerd (mostly in-between Brown Hairstreaks at Bookham) about how different authors merely copy their predecessor rather than doing their own research and this is most clearly shown when looking at the supposed foodplant of the Silver-Spotted Skipper:
Humphreys, 1859: The caterpillar feeds on Papilionaceous plants, such as Birds-foot Trefoil, and others of the family. On the continent it is known to feed on Coronilla varia.
Stainton 1867: no note.
Morris, 1870: The caterpillar feeds on the Various-coloured Coronilla on the continent
Newman, 1871: The caterpillar feeds on the Common Birds-foot, Birds-foot Trefoil and other leguminous plants.
Lucas, 1893: The larvae is said to feed on Birds-foot and Birds-foot Trefoil, and possibly other plants of the order Leguminosae.
W. E. Kirby, 1895: It feeds on Coronilla and other Leguminosae.
Gorden 1900: It feeds on Lotus and other small leguminous plants from April to June
South, 1906: from Frohawk in 1901 “he noted a female hovering close over plants. Presently it settled on a tuft of Hair Grass Aira caespitosa, and after walking over and among it a little time, she curved her abdomen down, and deposited a single egg on one of the fine hair like blades…”
W. F. Kirby, 1907: It lives on Coronilla varia and other papilionaceous plants in early summer.
Rowland-Brown, 1912: A single brooded species, the eggs are laid upon various grasses (and, according to some authorities, on Birds-foot Trefoil and allied plants).
W. F. Kirby, 1913: The caterpillar….. feeds on Trefoil etc.
Furneaux, 1919: The caterpillar feeds on certain Leguminous plants, among which are the Birds-foot and the Birds-foot Trefoil.
Stewart, 1926: It feeds on Vetches and Trefoils.
W. E. Kirby, 1928: It feeds on Meadow Grass, Couch Grass, Fescue, and other grasses.
Sanders, 1939: Grasses, chiefly Sheep’s Fescue, also Tufted Hair Grass.
Stokoe (based on South) 1944: Sheep’s Fescue, Hair Grass, Birds-foot Trefoil, Common Birds-foot Vetch and possibly other Leguminous plants.
Stokoe 1969: from Frohawk “they are laid singly on the fine blades of Hair Grass”.

Only one man of the era seemed to know the truth, and why? Because he actually went out and reared them from start to finish. (I’m sure others knew as well but the prevailing view did seem to take root very strongly with many of the big names of the time!)

It wasn’t just the text that was copied either, look at this first image from my oldest book, Humphreys Genera & species of British Butterflies, 1859.
SSS #1.JPG
And compare it to South’s book from 1906 (South used Frohawk’s findings so was correct in the text but still illustrated the caterpillar on a legume).
SSS #2 South.JPG
And from there we have Stokoe’s book on caterpillars of British butterflies from 1944 (he stated it fed on grasses AND legumes here)
SSS #3 Caterpillars.JPG
And Stokoe’s entry in his Observers book (my ’77 reprint of the ’69 edition where he reverted to quoting Frohawk)
SSS #4 Observers.JPG
Anyway, talking about the great man himself, here’s my copy of his 1934 condensed version of Frohawk's original magnificent work. I think this is a later reprint, not a first edition, hence why I could afford it! There’s no messing around with the LHP choice for the Silver Spotted Skipper here (and this was known from at least as early as 1901 given South quoting him in his 1906 book).
IMG_0001.JPG
This book has 32 colour plates and 150 b&w drawings including many interesting abs
#1.jpg
#2.jpg
#3.jpg
#4.jpg
abs #1.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
Not really much else to say except the detail he goes into is amazing, he was way ahead of his time, but I couldn’t not leave without mention of the Large Blue. Most of the species get four or five pages to themselves, the Large Blue gets a whole ten! Here’s a little bit of Lepidopteran history :) .
IMG_0001.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

And you thought I'd used up my book collection! :lol:
1.JPG
This ones not quite as old as most of the previous books but it is a nice little concise pocket guide from 1959, one of Leonard Hugh Newman's offerings. If I'd been around then it would have certainly have been in my pocket as a kid. There's a good smattering of aberrations throughout the book too.
#1.JPG
#2.JPG
#3.JPG
#4.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
#5.JPG

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”