The Large Chequered Skipper is back on Jersey!

Discussion forum for any relevant news not covered in one of the other forums.
Matsukaze

The Large Chequered Skipper is back on Jersey!

Post by Matsukaze »

selbypaul

Re: The Large Chequered Skipper is back on Jersey!

Post by selbypaul »

Just a single male so far?

But good news all the same. Hopefully more will find their way there over the next few years!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I thought i read 27 individuals ,18 females ,9 males from four sites .......................Excellent news ,Great find !!
Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The article says:

“...since the re-discovery of this butterfly a significant amount of surveying, consisting of hundreds of hours of searching by a few dedicated people, has been undertaken. Members of the Societe Jersiaise Entomology Section along with the public have volunteered their time to survey sites during summer 2020... ...in total 27 adults, consisting of 18 females and 9 males, were found across 4 sites along the north coast. Breeding was also observed at one of these sites...”

Numbers like that may reflect them having been there all along, or maybe an introduction at some point. The original colony was not thought to have appeared naturally, and I'm not sure where the nearest French population is from which they could have otherwise found their way.

Whatever the origins, let's hope they thrive. :)

(As an aside, it always seems a pity that there are virtually no reports on UKB from the Channel Islands - a shame as I believe Swallowtails and Large Tortoiseshells can be found, as well as Glanville Fritillaries).

Dave
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I believe that the nearest French population (of LC Skipper) to Jersey, is in the Lessay area of Manche, about 30 miles away.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

millerd wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:47 pm The article says:

“...since the re-discovery of this butterfly a significant amount of surveying, consisting of hundreds of hours of searching by a few dedicated people, has been undertaken. Members of the Societe Jersiaise Entomology Section along with the public have volunteered their time to survey sites during summer 2020... ...in total 27 adults, consisting of 18 females and 9 males, were found across 4 sites along the north coast. Breeding was also observed at one of these sites...”

Numbers like that may reflect them having been there all along, or maybe an introduction at some point. The original colony was not thought to have appeared naturally, and I'm not sure where the nearest French population is from which they could have otherwise found their way.

Whatever the origins, let's hope they thrive. :)

Dave
As Dave says, this opens up the question of whether the species survived the interim period since its alleged extinction back in 1996, whether these latest sightings are of a new colonisation, or whether they are the result of an introduction.
My initial thoughts are that the number of sightings – 27 adult across 4 sites in 2020 – would suggest that the butterfly may well have been resident on Jersey again prior to this year. It would be interesting to know how far apart the 4 sites were.
So, three options present themselves:

1. The species didn’t in fact die out in 1996. The last known site at Trinity was said to be on its last legs, with the habitat deteriorating, and just 9 sightings made in 1992, but I wonder how many people actively searched for it elsewhere on Jersey at this time and subsequently. There is, after all, a strong tendency among many Lepidopterists to visit “known sites” for species.

2. The species has re-colonised from the French mainland. Nearby colonies are not that far away, perhaps 30 miles to the east in Normandy, and maybe 50 miles South-West in Brittany, not too far “ as the butterfly flies”, although this species tends to be fairly sedentary in habit.

3. The species has been the result of an introduction, either deliberate or accidental.

Jersey has its own government-run Butterfly Monitoring Scheme, website at Butterfly https://www.gov.je/Environment/LandMari ... flies.aspx , recording at 38 transect sites across the island, although there are only 3 transects on the north coast, where the 2020 sightings were made. I don’t know how much additional recording goes on, in terms of seeking out new sites, but a glance on google earth suggests it should be relatively easy to identify potential Jersey sites for morpheus.

However the butterfly has got back, it is surely good news! Another species returned to the British (although not UK) Butterfly list of residents!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I believe the general consensus of opinion about the original population is an accidental introduction from the german occupation during WW2. Immature stages arriving on hay or fodder from the mainland.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Wherever they came from it is great news. When I first started looking for European butterflies, it was high on my wish list. I'm sure everyone who has seen it remembers their first time with its wonderful 'mirrors' and unique 'hopping' flight. UK next?

Tony M.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Tony Moore wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:53 pm Wherever they came from it is great news. When I first started looking for European butterflies, it was high on my wish list. I'm sure everyone who has seen it remembers their first time with its wonderful 'mirrors' and unique 'hopping' flight. UK next?

Tony M.
Absolutely Tony! It is an unforgettable butterfly, fantastic markings, and that flight pattern is just unmistakeable. My favourite European Skipper without a doubt.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I have always thought of it as the only species designed by Barnes Wallace.

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Roger Gibbons wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:03 pm I have always thought of it as the only species designed by Barnes Wallace.
:D :lol:

Yes, quite....and unfortunately I've yet to see it in the flesh so I can't truly appreciate that analogy (although I'm reliably informed that it's not far short of the truth).

Long may its presence continue in British Isles territory!

Return to “News”