Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 2

It feels like only yesterday that I was sitting down to kick off the 2020 Thread. I hope every one made good use of their extra hour today! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Again a quick reminder that it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 first so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by bugboy »

As regular followers of my PD will remember I was rather stuck as far as butterflying goes early in the season but I was pleased to find a few Brown Argus on my local patch in the spring, not a species I see here often at all...although to be fair I'm usually elsewhere by the time they're on the wing!
Brown Argus, Walthamstow Marshes.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

I didn't see that many Brown Argus in central Lincolnshire this year, at least not until late in the year. A few started to appear in July, but I saw the best numbers at heathland sites in September, where they were particularly enjoying nectaring on the heather. The second image is of one that is tending towards ab.snellini:
Brown Argus 090920.JPG
Brown Argus.JPG
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I saw lots of Brown Argus this year and spent a long time with them at golden hour in the spring.
Brown Argus, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 3rd May 2020
Brown Argus, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 4th May 2020
Brown Argus, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 4th May 2020
Brown Argus, male, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 12th May 2020
Brown Argus, male, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 12th May 2020
Brown Argus, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 15th May 2020
Brown Argus, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 15th May 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I do like that double underside Lee, an absolute cracker !! Regards Allan.W.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Allan.W. wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:17 pm I do like that double underside Lee, an absolute cracker !! Regards Allan.W.
Thanks, Allan. Much appreciated :)
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:17 pm I do like that double underside Lee, an absolute cracker !!
Yes, that's a seldom seen view, Allan.

The orange lunules look particularly radiant.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks, David.

Here's another individual in a similar pose from a few days later.
Brown Argus, male, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 15th May 2020
Brown Argus, male, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 15th May 2020
Best wishes

Lee
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely, Lee. I must try that angle myself!
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Brown Argus seemed to have a pretty good year in East Anglia in 2020, I saw my first at home on 8 May, followed by plenty on Therfield Heath, Hertfordshire, and I came across some fresh individuals on the Norfolk Coast on 22 September. Since I also rather like the open-wing underside view, I have selected two taken in my garden in early-May.
Attachments
Garden 9 May
Garden 9 May
Garden 9 May
Garden 9 May
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Sept 14th Beacon Hill, Wiltshire
IMG_6133 (2).JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Brown Argus can often be a bit hit and miss around my local patch with some years being more miss than hit. This year I saw more than usual, especially first brood. I don't know whether that was because there were actually more about or whether it was because I paid more attention to my local spots due to the travel restrictions that were in place earlier in the year.
Brown Argus - Castle Hills Solihull 17.05.2020
Brown Argus - Castle Hills Solihull 17.05.2020
The second brood didn't seem to be quite as numerous but I was particularly chuffed to find a couple at my local spot by Wagon Lane for the first time this year.
Brown Argus - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Brown Argus - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Brown Argus - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Brown Argus - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Locally, Brown Argus didn't have such a good year as 2019 (when numbers markedly exceeded those of the Common Blue). Fortunes reversed in 2020 quite dramatically with nearly three times as many of the latter over the former. However, they were seen almost every visit I made between 5th May and 1st October, in three broods as usual. The third, though, was a very minor affair.

It is difficult to single out any particular photos, as despite the drop in abundance, there were still plenty around and I photographed quite a few. That said, there is one shot which became memorable when I browsed through the selection I took on 11th May and took a closer look. Male Brown Argus are aggressive little creatures and readily pick fights with each other and other male butterflies of a similar disposition like Small Coppers.

This particular one was no exception, perhaps because he had a greater helping of cojones than his fellows...
BA8 110520.JPG
:) :wink:

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Reasonable numbers of this species round my way this year, but my favourite was definitely the first one I saw in 2020, at Crymlyn Burrows on 6th May, this ab. snellini:
1BrArg1(1).jpg
1BrArg2(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brown Argus

This was taken back in early to mid-May when the restrictions were starting to ease up a little and so we had a bit more time for ‘exercise’. I’d walked over to Middle Street in the hope of picking up a Common Blue which I did indeed manage too and it turned into one of those days of quality over quantity. I think on site there were only a handful of butterflies but the ones that were there were exceedingly welcome – especially this fantastic Brown Argus with the biggest set of lunules I’ve seen on one. There is something about the chocolate and orange, it’s a winning combination in my book particularly when bordered by the neat white fringes. 8) This one had to be the choice as it was in such mint condish!
12-05-2020 16.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I was pleasantly surprised to find quite high Brown Argus numbers on my enforced "lockdown" route and probably only a few
hundred metres from my front door ,seems very sad that within around 18 months -2 years ,the route will be completely covered in concrete !
thats "progress" I suppose !
As a footnote ,i,d worked out that i should find around 20 species in my local patch ,i actually managed 22 ,and missed Painted lady ,
Clouded Yellow ,and i,m sure that Purple Hairstreak and probably Green Hairstreak were hiding somewhere .
P1140458.JPG
P1140372.JPG
P1160184.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Brown Argus didn't seem to have a good year in Somerset, and isn't a regular visitor to the garden, so it was a surprise to see two here this year - one a female thinking about egg-laying on a scrappy plant of cut-leaved cranesbill, the other this example that had seen better days.
P8110046.jpg

Return to “Brown Argus”