Uganda, December 2017

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Uganda, December 2017

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Uganda, Christmas 2017

Over the Christmas period of 2017, I took up a friend’s offer of an open invitation of coming to out to Uganda, where they were working for 18 months. My own work in education necessitated travelling outside of term time, so Christmas it was. I visited for a week, which wasn’t long enough; my friend took a week off and we packed it in. We drove across the country, stayed in hostels, camped in the savannah, went on safari, visited national parks, sailed on huge lakes, and saw lots of wildlife.

Uganda has over 1200 species of butterfly, the thought of which makes my mouth water. It is almost impossible to comprehend that many species! I have four books on African butterflies, which have been indispensable in helping to identify the species seen, but of course, I may be wrong on some.

Despite the shocking poverty, poor healthcare, widespread corruption, and prevalent AK47s, Uganda is a beautiful country and well worth visiting for butterflies, birds, and safari animals.

Day one

I landed at Entebbe airport on the 23rd of December and we stayed in a hostel in Entebbe the first night. During the afternoon though, we explored the coast of Lake Victoria in Entebbe and the Botanical Gardens, which was a charming contrast to the city.
Lake Victoria, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Botanical Gardens, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Botanical Gardens, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Botanical Gardens, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December
Botanical Gardens, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December
Sunset over Lake Victoria, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Sunset over Lake Victoria, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Re: Uganda, December 2017

Post by David M »

Lee Hurrell wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:22 pm...Uganda has over 1200 species of butterfly, the thought of which makes my mouth water. It is almost impossible to comprehend that many species! I have four books on African butterflies, which have been indispensable in helping to identify the species seen, but of course, I may be wrong on some.
That's an impressive total given that Uganda is roughly the same size as the UK. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the delights on offer, Lee.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Day one - Part 2

I landed at Entebbe airport on the 23rd of December and we stayed in a hostel in Entebbe for the first night. During the afternoon though, we explored the coast of Lake Victoria in Entebbe and the Botanical Gardens, which were a charming contrast to the city.

Butterflies seen in Entebbe included this beautiful Golden Pansy (Junonia chorimene). I do have one out of focus shot of the upper side, which is a shame, as it’s a beautiful mix of golden browns.
Golden Pansy, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Golden Pansy, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Thanks to Guy, I think this is the African Grass Blue (Zizeeria knysna).
African Grass Blue, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
African Grass Blue, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
The Little Commodore (Junonia sophia) is a common species and can be seen in most locations. I saw several. This one is a female.
Little Commodore, female, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Little Commodore, female, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
I believe this is a faded Common Orange Forester (Euphaedra ruspina).
Common Orange Forester, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Common Orange Forester, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Here’s one butterfly that looks familiar. Lang’s Short-tailed Blue occurs throughout Africa and is common in Uganda, where it is known as the Common Zebra Blue (Leptotes pirithous). However, I cannot definitely confirm that what these individuals are, as there are several closely related species in the Leptotes genus which are impossible to distinguish in the field. On the balance of probability, with pirithous being common throughout Uganda, it is likely to be that species.
Lang’s Short-tailed Blue,  Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Lang’s Short-tailed Blue, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Northern Banded Groundling, (Brachythemis impartita) - thank you to aeshna5 for the ID.
Northern Banded Groundling, Brachythemis impartita, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Northern Banded Groundling, Brachythemis impartita, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
I think this is a Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) on Lake Victoria.
Little Egret on Lake Victoria, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Little Egret on Lake Victoria, Entebbe, Uganda, 23rd December 2017
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Lovely report.

Your dragonfly looks to be Northern Banded Groundling, Brachythemis impartita, which now also occurs in parts of southern Europe. There used to be one species- Banded Groundling, B. leucosticta, but this name is now reserved for Southern Banded Groundling. Both species occur in Uganda but your image seems to show the Northern species.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant stuff! Just the antidote to the lockdown!

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest your first blue is actually Zizeeria knysna. Quite happy to be proven wrong, as ever!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Great start, Lee. This is going to be an interesting one, for sure.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Padfield wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:27 am Brilliant stuff! Just the antidote to the lockdown!

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest your first blue is actually Zizeeria knysna. Quite happy to be proven wrong, as ever!
Thanks, Guy. I think you are correct. I have since found some much better online ID resources and having scoured these, I am of the same opinion. I would also point out that I now think the image of Rayed Blue in my most recent book on Ugandan butterflies is also knysna!

David M wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 pm Great start, Lee. This is going to be an interesting one, for sure.
Thanks, David. Plenty more to come!
aeshna5 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:28 am Lovely report.

Your dragonfly looks to be Northern Banded Groundling, Brachythemis impartita, which now also occurs in parts of southern Europe. There used to be one species- Banded Groundling, B. leucosticta, but this name is now reserved for Southern Banded Groundling. Both species occur in Uganda but your image seems to show the Northern species.
Great to know - many thanks, aeshna.
David M

Post by David M »

aeshna5 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:28 am...Your dragonfly looks to be Northern Banded Groundling, Brachythemis impartita, which now also occurs in parts of southern Europe. There used to be one species- Banded Groundling, B. leucosticta, but this name is now reserved for Southern Banded Groundling. Both species occur in Uganda but your image seems to show the Northern species.
Yes. I can confirm that this impartita now flies in southern Europe, because I saw several for myself in a network of paddy fields on the Valencian coast last August. It is an intriguing insect and a welcome addition to European fauna.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Day two, Christmas Eve – Part 1

The 24th December 2017 was the start of our road trip across the country. Setting off from Entebbe, we were heading for Lake Mburu. We took a car ferry from Entebbe across a small section of Lake Victoria and while waiting, I found several Kingfishers, Egrets, Wagtails and Cormorants on the shore, along with an African Openbill.
Pied Kingfisher (Ceryle rudis), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Pied Kingfisher (Ceryle rudis), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
African Pied Wagtail (Motacilla aguimp), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
African Pied Wagtail (Motacilla aguimp), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Long-tailed Cormorant (Microcarbo africanus), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Long-tailed Cormorant (Microcarbo africanus), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
African Openbill (Anastomus lamelligerus), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
African Openbill (Anastomus lamelligerus), Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
A couple of shots from waiting for the ferry:
Entebbe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
After sailing across Lake Victoria, we drove north east to the highway then south east, crossing the equator at Kayabwe, where we stopped for refreshments.
The Equator, Kayabwe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
I am pretty sure this is another African Grass Blue, (Zizeeria knysna), which was photographed while we had stopped.
African Grass Blue, The Equator, Kayabwe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
African Grass Blue, The Equator, Kayabwe, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Driving onwards through Masaka, we eventually reached our destination: Lake Mburo National Park, some six hours after leaving Entebbe. This is one of the smaller national parks in Uganda but is still vast. Here is our first view of it.
Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
We stopped just outside the National Park and came across some impressively horned Ankole cattle (Bos taurus indicus) and our first Burchell’s Zebras (Equus quagga burchellii).
Ankole cattle, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Ankole cattle, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Burchell’s Zebra, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Burchell’s Zebra, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Butterflies seen here included more Little Commodore (Junonia sophia), along with the less common white variety, Junonia sophia infracta.
Little Commodore, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Little Commodore, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Little Commodore, (Junonia sophia infracta), Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Little Commodore, (Junonia sophia infracta), Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Also seen here were the Soldier Commodore (Junonia terea) and another blue that looked different to African Grass Blue, although I only have this distant shot. The cell spots along the leading edge of the underside of the forewing seem to point toward the Tiny Grass Blue (Zizula hylax).
Soldier Commodore, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Soldier Commodore, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Tiny Grass Blue, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Tiny Grass Blue, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Here is a habitat shot for where these butterflies were seen, for context.
Lastly, for this section, I thought this feather from an unknown bird was stunning.
Unknown bird feather, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Unknown bird feather, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I reckon that feather used to belong to one of the Guineafowl.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Lovely shots again Lee & brings back memories of my own trip to Uganda. You have an avian mis-identification above though- your wagtail is African Pied rather than Mountain Wagtail.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The hylax is a tricky one, Lee. Your butterfly does seem to have a cell spot, which would rule hylax out (and knysna in). But is it really a cell spot? In other respects, it looks good for hylax.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Fascinating, Lee. Love the yellow line following the equator, as well as the wildlife. Those Ankole cattle are amazing. I've never seen such horns on any bovine.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

bugboy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:40 am I reckon that feather used to belong to one of the Guineafowl.
Thanks, Buggy. An internet search leads me to believe the Helmeted Guineafowl looks likely! Thanks :)
aeshna5 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:11 am Lovely shots again Lee & brings back memories of my own trip to Uganda. You have an avian misidentification above though- your wagtail is African Pied rather than Mountain Wagtail.
Thanks, Aeshna. I have amended the picture above, along with the dragonfly from earlier.
David M wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:56 pm Fascinating, Lee. Love the yellow line following the equator, as well as the wildlife. Those Ankole cattle are amazing. I've never seen such horns on any bovine.
They are certainly spectacular, David!
Padfield wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:37 am The hylax is a tricky one, Lee. Your butterfly does seem to have a cell spot, which would rule hylax out (and knysna in). But is it really a cell spot? In other respects, it looks good for hylax.
Thanks, Guy. I have enlarged it much as I can at home and I'm not convinced that is a cell spot. But it could be! The marginal lunules seem to match hylax more than knysna. Tricky, as you say. Thanks again.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Day two, Christmas Eve – Part 2

Before our final destination (a campsite within the National Park), we stopped off at Rwakobo Rock, a huge rocky outcrop with a lodge and restaurant on the top, which is surrounded by wooded areas. The views here were phenomenal; miles in every direction of bush and savannah.
View from Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Vervet Monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops) played around the rock but did not get too close to people.
Vervet Monkey, Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Vervet Monkey, Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
There were some beautiful butterflies to be seen here, including a couple identified but not photographed. The Vine Leaf Vagrant (Eronia cleodora) is a large Pierid, with distinctive black borders containing white spots, which enabled me to identify it. The underside looks like a withered leaf. http://www.lepiforum.de/lepiwiki.pl?Eronia_Cleodora

There are nearly 50 species of Charaxes in Uganda (the same family as Europe’s Two-tailed Pasha). I saw two here, one very distinctive species flying around the top of the rock, but not settling. The Pearl Charaxes (Charaxes varanes) is a stunning, fiery looking butterfly with flame orange and white wings. https://lepidoptera.eu/species/13326

The second Charaxes seen was harder to identify, as it was worn and had lost its distinguishable hindwing margins, plus there are several ‘blue’ species. However, owing to the lack of other upperside markings and the brown underside, I believe it to be a male of the fantastically named Green Demon Charaxes (Charaxes cedreatis). This is despite it being cobalt blue.
Green Demon Charaxes, Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Green Demon Charaxes, Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Another Pierid seen here was this Eastern Dotted Border (Mylothris agathina), a common white species in most locations. This individual had strongly marked dots on the underside.
Eastern Dotted Border, Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Eastern Dotted Border, Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Off in one of the wooded areas, I saw a large, dark butterfly that flashed blue iridescence then settled in a dark shady patch and wouldn’t move. Judging by the width of the blue bands noticed, it was likely the Narrow Blue-banded Swallowtail (Papilio nireus).
Narrow Blue-banded Swallowtail, Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
Narrow Blue-banded Swallowtail, Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda, 24th December 2017
I also saw a Painted Lady at the top of the rock; a reminder of just how cosmopolitan an insect it is. The Painted Lady can be seen anywhere in Uganda, as can the Red Admiral. There are several other Vanessa species too.

Return to “Trip Reports”