Guidance about exercise during lockdown.

Discussion forum for any relevant news not covered in one of the other forums.
Ian Pratt

Guidance about exercise during lockdown.

Post by Ian Pratt »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
This article gives helpful guidance as to what is allowed and what is not allowed during lockdown.
John W

Re: Guidance about exercise during lockdown.

Post by John W »

Ian Pratt wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:06 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
This article gives helpful guidance as to what is allowed and what is not allowed during lockdown.
I am glad to see that they have stated that driving a short distance to an open space for exercise is legal.

However they still can't resist making petty and arbitrary distinctions, saying that buying paint to redecorate a room is not legal but it is ok if you are making an essential repair. If you have lost your job, or are furloughed, and you want to keep busy by painting your kitchen, how does that increase the risk of transmission of the virus? I really wish they would just chill and concentrate on obvious risk situations, like gatherings of teenagers on the beach.

Cheers
John W
David M

Post by David M »

Things are confusing right now, but gradually I think we are all seeing a way out of this, albeit in limited, short stages.

I can't believe the UK will maintain full restrictions if practically all other European nations have relaxed them.

I reckon in a month's time we will all have a bit more freedom, so long as we do not behave irresponsibly.
millerd

Post by millerd »

This is from section four of the new guidance (Visiting Public Places):

From Wednesday 13 May, you may drive to outdoor publicly accessible open spaces irrespective of distance, but should follow social distancing guidance whilst you are there. You should plan ahead to ensure that, where you are visiting places like National Parks, you have checked that they are open and appropriately prepared for visitors. You should not go to ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces.

The full document is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... distancing

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

This will help, although my concern is that certain beauty spots may end up being converged on by masses of people thus jeopardising the newly won freedoms.

These next three weeks are critical now. If numbers of cases/deaths continue to fall then the next round of restriction-easing will start us on our way back to some sort of normality.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:55 pm This will help, although my concern is that certain beauty spots may end up being converged on by masses of people thus jeopardising the newly won freedoms.

These next three weeks are critical now. If numbers of cases/deaths continue to fall then the next round of restriction-easing will start us on our way back to some sort of normality.
Off course much of the eased restrictions announced by Mr BoJo only apply to England, I think you are still stuck in the tighter restrictions in Wales David. Time will tell whether this is a good or bad thing long term although the amount of absolute muppets I see around in my neck of the woods would suggest you may be better off for now :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

I'm not surprised that Wales & Scotland are resisting. In my view it's largely opposition for opposition's sake, since both these devolved assemblies are non-Conservative governed, and their default stance will be to resist anything that Boris Johnson does on purely ideological lines.

If the rest of Europe were doing likewise then that might have some credence, but when just about every European nation is relaxing lockdown measures, how realistic is it to conclude that they are ALL wrong and that tiny Scotland & Wales alone are right?

One thing that has not yet surfaced (but it will) is the damage being done to people's physical and mental well-being. When we are down to 50 deaths per day resulting from coronavirus at the same time that 300+ are dying from the fallout of the restrictions imposed, certain people are going to have to answer some very difficult questions.

It's right that we should move along slowly as per the recent announcements. Wales is dragging its feet but it can't do so indefinitely or it risks civil unrest.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well I’m delighted the restrictions have been eased slightly, as the chances of catching the virus outside is very small. I’m far more concerned about indoor and work places. I will certainly be travelling further afield, looking for Grizzled Skippers, as soon as I am able!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Yes, we can now travel further again and apparently stay as long as we like at a site as long as we social distance.

I realise that my views may be unpopular with some, but do we all really need to see all the same species at the same old sites every year?

In my own case I had already started to cut back a bit on my travelling and over the past few years targeted fewer species each year. For the more distant species I had started to do a sort of 'rota' and catch up on some of these every 2 or 3 years.
I have found that with this more laid back approach I enjoy my butterflying more and don't feel stressed about whether I will miss anything.

I have seen some similar views expressed on social media with some birders questioning the habits of those who race around the country clocking up thousands of miles in order to get their 'year tick'.

Of course, we are all free to pursue our hobby in our own way, but having experienced the peace and quiet of less traffic on the roads during the lockdown, it has made me think about the wisdom of rushing back to 'normal'.

Like I said at the beginning, I realise that this view may be unpopular but just thought I would put it out there.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Feel free, Neil. Everyone's different.

My own rationale is that because I see so many UK species in Europe every year, I don't feel the need to travel many miles for things such as Mountain Ringlet, Chequered Skipper, Glanville/Heath Fritillary, Lulworth Skipper, Wood White, etc.

That said, there are a few iconic species that I really like to see which I don't encounter abroad, e.g. Purple Emperor & Brown Hairstreak.

Sometimes it's nice to have a change of scenery and a bit of a drive makes it feel more like a proper day out.

I agree that 'peace and quiet' are especially valuable too. I'm glad I prefer butterflies to birds for that very reason!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I hope I didn't give the impression that I won't be travelling at all David. I will still do some day trips and fully intend to carry on with our 3/4//5 night stays in various B&B around the country and make the most of family holidays.

It is just that I no longer feel a frantic need to see the maximum amount of species every year and am quite happy to leave some for another year.

For me it is all part of being a 'responsible butterfly enthusiast' and trying to cut back a bit on my own carbon footprint. I know in the big scheme of things this is negligible but change eventually comes through lots of little actions.

Cheers,

Neil
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Your opinion is as valid as any other, Neil. No problem.

I personally have been longing for the time when I can wake up all eager and alive,and get out there, after the misery of a British autumn and winter. But I’m more than happy to accept others will not feel the same, indeed my view is probably in the minority.

We are lucky to live in a time and place where we can all enjoy town and countryside, in which ever way we think is appropriate.
millerd

Post by millerd »

For information, here is the latest message from the National Trust about their sites, many of which we are in the habit of visiting for their good butterfly populations.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/press- ... s-covid-19

Dave
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Your view is not in the minority, essexbuzzard, it was a long winter and now we have Covid-19 to further mess up our lives. I personally do not believe that travelling to see what brings us pleasure, should make us feel guilty. I actually do enjoy seeing the same species at the same sites each year, because this gives me the same thrill as the first time I saw them.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I think it is my view that is in the minority...which is as I expected.

I don't think anyone should feel guilty for pursuing their hobby in their own way, we are all different and should do whatever suits us. It is just that for me I have found that I enjoy my season more since becoming less 'obsessed' about seeing everything. That probably says more about me than anyone else.

It all depends on our definitions of travelling too, we all have our own limits on how far we will drive. Many on UKB, especially down south, can see a good selection of premium species within a half hours drive. This wasn't really the kind of distance I meant by 'travelling'.

A Forty five minute drive can get me Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, Small Blue and Green Hairstreak, all of which were out of reach this year up until now but I may well go for them in a few days when the weather picks up after this cold snap.

Happy Butterflying, however you chose to do it.

Neil.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

In some respects I share your view, Neil, but then I've never felt a need to see "everything" in a year. Butterflies are a bit of a strange case, in that it's theoretically possible but still challenging to "do a Barkham", so I understand why some folk attempt it year after year. Other taxa don't really have an equivalent target so may not have the same rush to get everywhere (obviously competitive birders are an exception!).

Like you, I make day trips and holidays to see things I can't find locally, but there is always next year if I don't get around to looking for something. I am quite pleased to now have the opportunity to go a little bit further afield, though!
David M

Post by David M »

59 is a fairly manageable number meaning that seeing them all IS possible in Britain in any given year. That's not the case on the Continent though. In some countries you might need 4 or 5 years to see them all, which enables you to go at a slower pace and enjoy your surroundings more.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

This is my first ever season so seeing the vast majority of species will (knowingly) be my first time doing so. All rather exciting. I spent the long winter planning for 2020. There was no intention to 'do a Barkham' but I did plan to see more than those that I can see in my corner of South Derbyshire. Then Covid 19 arrived.

The only substantial journey I had previously planned for 2020 was to go to Norfolk to see a Swallowtail. I earmarked Strumpshaw as my destination. I had high hopes that restrictions would be eased prior to Swallowtail flight time and so it has come to pass.

The only snags at present are that:

- I feel uncomfortable in my mind undertaking a 350 mile round trip (on my own) in my car to see a butterfly (also known as getting exercise); and
- the RSPB site at Strumpshaw is presently showing as closed and so I would need to find somewhere else to go.
David M

Post by David M »

You may have a chance later in the year, Otep, as there is usually a partial second brood of Swallowtails. The first brood also fly into June, so if there are further relaxations in a fortnight we may find more of these outdoor centres will open up.
BarrieS

Post by BarrieS »

Otep
I've guessed where you live and you aren't too far from us, as we live on the north edge of B-on-T. Everyone's plans, including ours have been put on hold this year and some of the regular contributors on this site would have seen several trips to Europe and further afield cancelled. From your base by travelling into Derbyshire and Staffs, you should, with a little guidance be able to see over 30 species. Close to your home is a small colony of Silver-washed Fritillaries and several Dingy Skipper sites. A trip into the limestone dales should connect you with Dark Green Frits and the Peak District form of Brown Argus.
I don't know if you are aware, but the Derbyshire butterfly recorder, Ken Orpe, sends out a very comprehensive weekly e-mail detailing the previous week's sightings to anyone who contacts him. His details are on the East Midlands BC Branch website.
Regarding a trip to Strumpshaw Fen, I would wait a year and spend a few days in the area and visit some of the other sites where Swallowtails are found too. There is lots to see there during their main flight time. The c350 mile round trip to east Norfolk and back isn't pleasant, as most of it is on single carriageway roads. and i've done it several times twitching birds.
If you would like a little more information on where to see some of the more unusual species in your area, please feel free to get in touch (I'm new on here so not sure how you do that).
I have been out this morning and there are a lot more people out and about. Interestingly, some of the people I bumped (2m away) that were out together, had travelled in separate cars - very responsible. Good luck with your first year.

Return to “News”