Jason Sargerson

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
jasonsargerson

Re: Jason Sargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

My second trip to Switzerland would have been this week. I could have been watching Roger Federer on at least 3 channels at once - for some reason the Swiss are keen on keeping up with Roger.

The best weeks to visit Switzerland to see the maximum number of species are probably the middle 2 weeks of July - say first week in the west and the second in Graubunden. I try to get the best of both worlds by going the first week of July to the west and the last week of July to Graubunden.

In the west I like to catch up with Asian Fritillary near Grimentz and possibly Violet Copper and Scarce Large Blue at Lauenensee. A trip to Murren and up to Allmendhubel is always good. The other high mountain sites such as Mattmark and the Simplon Pass can be good. if the season is late, then the lower sites such as Chatelard Frontiere, Allondon (Geneva), Camedo, Leuk and Tasch can be visited. I hope to see both Swallowtails, Apollo, Purple-edged and Sooty Coppers as well as a range of Fritillaries, Blues and Ringlets.
Attachments
Alpine Grizzled Skipper, Mattmark, 04.07.16
Alpine Grizzled Skipper, Mattmark, 04.07.16
Asian Fritillary, Near Grimentz, 26.06.15
Asian Fritillary, Near Grimentz, 26.06.15
Blue Spot Hairstreak, Tasch, 06.07.17
Blue Spot Hairstreak, Tasch, 06.07.17
Grison's Fritillary, Mattmark, 10.07.18
Grison's Fritillary, Mattmark, 10.07.18
Pearl-bordered Fritillary on Martagon Lily, Tasch, 10.07.18
Pearl-bordered Fritillary on Martagon Lily, Tasch, 10.07.18
Purple-edged Copper euridice, Lauenensee, 29.06.15
Purple-edged Copper euridice, Lauenensee, 29.06.15
Scarce Large Blue, Lauenensee, 07.07.18
Scarce Large Blue, Lauenensee, 07.07.18
Scarce Swallowtail, Leuk, 09.07.18
Scarce Swallowtail, Leuk, 09.07.18
Sooty Copper subalpina, Allmendhubel, 08.07.18
Sooty Copper subalpina, Allmendhubel, 08.07.18
Swallowtail, Allmendhubel, 08.07.18
Swallowtail, Allmendhubel, 08.07.18
David M

Post by David M »

That's a cracker of the Alpine Grizzled Skipper, Jason. Not easy to find, let alone photograph. :mrgreen:
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I visited Chambers Farm in Lincolnshire today to see the Purple Emperors.

It was a very nice day, I arrived just after 1000 and walked down the road from the car park.

There was a group of keen butterfliers already photographing a Purple Emperor on the road.

They must have taken hundreds of photographs, some from sitting down or even laying full length!!

I was amazed how the Purple Emperor ignored all the cameras shoved right up close to it.

I managed some photos showing the blue for the first time.

I didn't see much else to photograph - there were some Silver-washed Fritillaries and White Admirals - but too flighty to photograph.

I also saw Large Skipper, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell.

When I returned to the Purple Emperor it was still there and also later there were 2 Purple Emperors in the same section of road!
Attachments
Purple Emperor, Chambers Farm, 16.07.21
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I went to Kiplingcotes Reserve, near Market Weighton in East Yorkshire today.

The usual July butterflies such as Marbled White and Ringlet were present in good numbers.

There were a few Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns.

A couple of Common Blues were flying - they kept disappearing into the Birds Foot Trefoil - but probably more flying in a week or so.

Other butterflies seen were Small White, Large White, Small Skipper, Small Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral.

I hope to go in a week or so to see the August butterflies, such as Peacock, Comma, Brimstone, Brown Argus and maybe Small Heath.
Attachments
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Gatekeeper, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Gatekeeper, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Marbled White, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Marbled White, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Ringlet, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Ringlet, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Small Skipper, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Small Skipper, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Small White, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
Small White, Kiplingcotes, 17.07.21
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Some butterflies observed in my garden. The Gatekeeper was over a week ago.

Today it was the second sunny day in a row, so I managed to see Holly Blue - always difficult to photograph and Speckled Wood.

No sign of Peacock, Red Admiral, Comma or Small Tortoiseshell yet - the buddleias are already looking worn!
Attachments
Gatekeeper, Muirfield Park, 24.07.21
Gatekeeper, Muirfield Park, 24.07.21
Holly Blue, Muirfield Park, 03.08.21
Holly Blue, Muirfield Park, 03.08.21
Speckled Wood, Muirfield Park, 03.08.21
Speckled Wood, Muirfield Park, 03.08.21
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

My last trip to Switzerland was supposed to be this week.

I almost always go to Graubunden - Eastern Switzerland - at the end of July, beginning of August.

Graubunden is less visited than say the Bernese Oberland or Western Switzerland, but it is probably the second best place for butterflies after Valais.

One of the best things is that the sites are often close together, so it is possible on a good day to visit up to four sites.

For example you can visit Brusio, Cavaglia and Alp Grum in one day, or Bergun, Preda and Spinas.

I stay at Filisur, which is very good for butterflies - when I get 'home' - even at 5 pm there are butterflies to see up to 6 pm!

The flagship species for me are Amanda's Blue, Southern White Admiral and Thor's Fritillary, but there are many other regulars such as Dryad, Niobe Fritillary, Scarce Copper, Purple-edged Copper. I usually visit Biberbrugg in Schwyz to see Map and Scarce Large Blue and Alcon Blue.
Attachments
Amanda's Blue, Val Roseg, 16.07.19
Amanda's Blue, Val Roseg, 16.07.19
Damon Blue, La Punt, 16.07.19
Damon Blue, La Punt, 16.07.19
Dryad, Versam, 02.08.15
Dryad, Versam, 02.08.15
Large Ringlet, Cavaglia, 12.07.19
Large Ringlet, Cavaglia, 12.07.19
Map, Biberbrugg, 08.08.19
Map, Biberbrugg, 08.08.19
Mountain Clouded Yellow, Muottas Muragl, 04.08.18
Mountain Clouded Yellow, Muottas Muragl, 04.08.18
Niobe Fritillary, Val Roseg, 02.08.18
Niobe Fritillary, Val Roseg, 02.08.18
Purple-shot Copper, Brusio, 05.08.14
Purple-shot Copper, Brusio, 05.08.14
Scarce Copper, Cavaglia, 03.08.18
Scarce Copper, Cavaglia, 03.08.18
Southern White Admiral, Filisur, 01.08.16
Southern White Admiral, Filisur, 01.08.16
Swallowtail, Biberbrugg, 03.08.17
Swallowtail, Biberbrugg, 03.08.17
Thor's Fritillary, Cavaglia, 12.07.19
Thor's Fritillary, Cavaglia, 12.07.19
David M

Post by David M »

Delightful roll-call of species, Jason, including a couple I have yet to see.

One can only hope that next year will see a return to relative normality (in Europe at least).
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Yes, thanks for sharing all this information Jason. Switzerland really is one of my most favourite countries in Europe for butterflies, and that's after just one visit to one specific area. Your posts definitely give great food for thought for where next!
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I visited Pearson Park - my local park a few days ago - only Gatekeeper flying - no Common Blues like last year.

Today I visited Kiplingcotes near Market Weighton again. It was sunny, then cloudy, about 22 C.

There were not so many butterflies as this time last year. There were some faded Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns and Small Skippers.

I saw the last Marbled White of the season. There were three Peacocks - usually they are numerous.

However, there were quite a few Common Blues and a Small Copper!! This is the first Small Copper I have seen here in 20 years of visits.

I will hope to visit again before the end of August.
Attachments
Gatekeeper, Pearson Park, 04.08.21
Gatekeeper, Pearson Park, 04.08.21
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 12.08.21
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 12.08.21
Marbled White, Kiplingcotes, 12.08.21
Marbled White, Kiplingcotes, 12.08.21
Peacock, Kiplingcotes, 12.08.21
Peacock, Kiplingcotes, 12.08.21
Small Copper, Kiplingcotes, 12.08.21
Small Copper, Kiplingcotes, 12.08.21
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:34 pm...This is the first Small Copper I have seen here in 20 years of visits.
And a caeruleopunctata to boot! Very nice specimen, Jason. :)
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I visited Kiplingcotes again on Monday (23rd August).

It was very disappointing - no Peacocks, Red Admirals - only one Small Tortoiseshell.

I saw one Brimstone, no Commas and I could not locate any Brown Argus where they usually are.

There were some Small Whites - one Green-veined White, some Common Blues, Speckled Wood and some very worn Meadow Browns.

There may be a last hurrah in early September, but butterflies appear to be vanishing fast in the UK.
Attachments
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 23.08.21
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 23.08.21
Green-veined White, Kiplingcotes, 23.08.21
Green-veined White, Kiplingcotes, 23.08.21
Speckled Wood, Kiplingcotes, 23.08.21
Speckled Wood, Kiplingcotes, 23.08.21
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:15 pmThere may be a last hurrah in early September, but butterflies appear to be vanishing fast in the UK.
It's not been a great year for them, Jason, but they are usually on the wane towards the latter end of August even in good years. Once the Ringlets, Hedge & Meadow Browns and Marbled Whites start to leave the scene there's not a whole lot left unless you're lucky enough to have Silver Spotted Skippers and Adonis Blues locally.

We're due a good season...hopefully next year!
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

A few butterflies in late August and September.

At Woodmansey there were quite a few Small Tortoiseshells which was good to see, some Peacocks and Red Admirals.

In Muirfield Park there was a nice Red Admiral on a late flowering buddleia and a Comma visited my garden in late September.
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell, Woodmansey, 28.08.21
Small Tortoiseshell, Woodmansey, 28.08.21
Red Admiral, Muirfield Park, 08.09.21
Red Admiral, Muirfield Park, 08.09.21
Comma, Muirfield Park, 29.09.21
Comma, Muirfield Park, 29.09.21
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

My books: Swiss Butterflies and Swiss Butterflies Site Guide and my DVDs Swiss Butterflies East and Swiss Butterflies West are still available.

My books are the only ones about Switzerland that tell you where and when to see butterflies in Switzerland.

Amongst the key features are all the photographs have locations and dates. I think this is now absolutely essential in any butterfly publication.

I use a simple three stage system for the likelihood of finding a particular butterfly - Common butterflies are found across Switzerland, Frequent butterflies are found in good numbers in particular locations and Rare butterflies are found in small numbers at key sites.

I also classify butterflies by habitat and altitude - Wetland usually up to 1000m (some sites are higher), Rocky Steppe up to 1000m (drier valley sites), Lowland up to 1000 m including woodland and meadows, Mountain from 1000 to 1800m and High Mountain above 1800m.

This is much more useful than stating as in some books: found 0 - 2500m. Of course there are always exceptions, but the above is a good guide.

Swiss Butterflies has information about around 30 sites and of course Swiss Butterflies Site Guide goes into much more detail about these sites.

My DVDs bring the butterfly sites to life. There is film of locations/habitat as well as of butterflies. A similar number of sites are visited across both DVDs as in the Site Guide book, with the addition of new ones I visited after the publication of the books.

Buy each book for £10.00 or both books for £18.00 (including postage) or each DVD for £12.00 or both DVDs for £21.00. See my website www.jasonsargerson.uk for more details.

If you have never been to Switzerland, my books and DVDs are intended as a good introduction. If you have been to Switzerland and already know some good places for butterflies, my books and DVDs can guide you to further key sites.

I attach the covers of the books and DVDs.
Attachments
Book Swiss Butterflies
Book Swiss Butterflies
Book Swiss Butterflies Site Guide
Book Swiss Butterflies Site Guide
DVD Swiss Butterflies East
DVD Swiss Butterflies East
DVD Swiss Butterflies West
DVD Swiss Butterflies West
David M

Post by David M »

Those images are stirring, Jason...after two whole summers of travel inertia it's easy to forget what sits near our doorstep on the continent.

I hope we can all get back to those places in 2022 and experience the joy of nature in beautiful scenery once more. It's true that most don't truly appreciate things until they lose them. Time to take them back very shortly. :)
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

The fifth issue of European Butterflies is almost ready for printing.

I will post more information on my Overseas Forum page - European Butterflies Magazine.
Attachments
European Butterflies Magazine 2022, Issue 5.
European Butterflies Magazine 2022, Issue 5.
David M

Post by David M »

Looking forward to it, Jason. Looks like there will be far more opportunities to travel this year than the last two.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

European Butterflies Magazine 2022 is printed now. Copies are available direct from me for £9.00 - you can send me a cheque or credit my bank account if you prefer.
Attachments
European Butterflies Magazine Spring 2022, Issue 5
European Butterflies Magazine Spring 2022, Issue 5
David M

Post by David M »

Thoroughly enjoyed this, Jason. Some great places in the edition and many fabulous butterflies, including many I have never seen myself.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

For those of you who enjoy the Fox diary instead of butterflies.

I have only seen the foxes this year at night until this week.

I was surprised to see a Fox asleep on the back lawn on Tuesday afternoon.

I left it to go to the post office and fortunately it was still snoozing when I returned.

On disturbing it, it made a hasty retreat.
Attachments
Fox, Muirfield Park, 29.03.22

Return to “Personal Diaries”