Jason Sargerson

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
jasonsargerson

Re: Jason Sargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Yes David, quite productive - I made it just over 60 species, which is the usual for me in July.

From the previous trip in June, Gyorgy Liptovszky has sent me these Iolas Blue photos - I was there, but he managed to get in close and take these - probably much better than me. The season must have been early, so next time probably have to go last week of May. This site is near Martigny - one of the few places to see Iolas Blue in Switzerland.
Attachments
Iolas Blue, 04.06.22
Iolas Blue, 04.06.22
Iolas Blue, 04.06.22
Iolas Blue, 04.06.22
Iolas Blue, 04.06.22
Iolas Blue, 04.06.22
Iolas Blue, 04.06.22
Iolas Blue, 04.06.22
David M

Post by David M »

That's certainly a much closer approach to the one I had in Greece in early June, Jason. :mrgreen:

This is not an easy species so I have to applaud the choice of location as well as the ability to get fairly close.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I had to abandon my third trip to Switzerland this year. I had booked to go on July 27th - day of the rail strikes. I thought I would get round this by booking a hotel in London the night before, then going on the train on the 26th. However, on reaching the railway station I was informed there were no trains to London - overhead power lines down near Peterborough. So back home again!! Got to claim for all my outlay - over £1000.

So, back in the UK, the first day of decent sunshine was today - went to Kiplingcotes near Market Weighton. I managed to record 13 species, but they were low in numbers. Nectaring was sporadic, I assume with the dry weather the flowers have much less nectar to offer the butterflies and other insects. I note (elsewhere in the forums) the very hot weather and lack of rain is severely affecting butterfly populations and life cycle. We had an early spring followed by a very hot summer, this must be very detrimental to some species.

At Kiplingcotes there were no Peacocks - an August butterfly - is it early or late? I managed a nice Painted Lady, but other species looked worn or ragged. Other key species - all the Whites, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Heath, Marbled White, Small Skipper, Common Blue, Comma and Red Admiral.

I haven't been to Chambers Farm in Lincolnshire this year - to see the Purple Emperors - access road closed all July!! Another disappointment.
Attachments
Comma, Kiplingcotes, 01.08.22
Comma, Kiplingcotes, 01.08.22
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 01.08.22
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 01.08.22
Gatekeeper, Kiplingcotes, 01.08.22
Gatekeeper, Kiplingcotes, 01.08.22
Painted Lady, Kiplingcotes, 01.08.22
Painted Lady, Kiplingcotes, 01.08.22
Small White, Kipliingcotes, 01.08.22
Small White, Kipliingcotes, 01.08.22
David M

Post by David M »

So disappointed you couldn't travel, Jason. It must have been galling to go through all that.

Remember when travel was plain sailing? Seems like a different lifetime.

Don't be beaten by it though. Setbacks like that just make me even more determined. :twisted:
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Yes David, my response to setbacks is to tell myself to bounce back - but not always easy!!

I visited Kiplingcotes again today, in the hope of seeing some Peacocks - only saw one that zoomed down the Hudson Way - no chance of a photograph.

Other butterflies were scarce - managed Common Blue, Small Heath, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and the Whites. Obviously it is too hot and butterflies and nectar plants have perished.

The best was a Wall Brown - it was nectaring on Hudson Way, my camera disturbed it and it flew off - so I returned to Kiplingcotes and found it on the Knapweeds by the path into the reserve. Other people have recorded Wall Brown here, but I have never seen one, in fact this must be the first one I have seen in the UK for over 20 years - certainly the first photographs.
Attachments
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 10.08.22
Common Blue, Kiplingcotes, 10.08.22
Small Heath, Kiplingcotes, 10.08.22
Small Heath, Kiplingcotes, 10.08.22
Wall Brown, Kiplingcotes, 10.08.22
Wall Brown, Kiplingcotes, 10.08.22
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:43 pm...Other butterflies were scarce - managed Common Blue, Small Heath, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and the Whites. Obviously it is too hot and butterflies and nectar plants have perished.
Same round my way, Jason. Butterflies are waving the white flag after so much hot and dry weather. In addition, like in 1977 following the previous year's drought, I fear things will get even worse unless we get some serious rain...and very soon!

Glad to hear you've seen Wall Brown though. Maybe one advantage of these last few years is that warmer general temperatures have started to assist this species in breaking through its 'developmental trap'.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

You are right David, not only this year is going to be difficult for butterflies in the UK, but most likely the next years as well.

I went to Woodmansey near Hull yesterday, hoping to see some butterflies on the good buddleias there. However, I was disappointed - a couple of Red Admirals, a Painted Lady, a very worn Comma, a Small Tortoiseshell and a very small sized Peacock. There were a few Large Whites and Small Whites.

Walking down the Wilberforce Way produced just one Speckled Wood. Maybe later in the month will be better for the Admirals!

Today there was one Holly Blue flying around the Snowberry in my front garden.
Attachments
Painted Lady, Woodmansey, 13.08.22
Holly Blue, Muirfield Park, 14.08.22
Holly Blue, Muirfield Park, 14.08.22
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I went to Woodmansey again yesterday in the hope of seeing some butterflies on the best buddleia in the area.

It was disappointing again - no Peacocks or Small Tortoiseshells. There was one Red Admiral - it seemed to like the Roses as well as the buddleia, one Comma, one Large White and several Small Whites.

Next year it looks like there will be very few butterflies, especially Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells.
Attachments
Comma, Woodmansey, 27.08.22
Comma, Woodmansey, 27.08.22
Large White, Woodmansey, 27.08.22
Large White, Woodmansey, 27.08.22
Red Admiral, Woodmansey, 27.08.22
Red Admiral, Woodmansey, 27.08.22
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:40 amNext year it looks like there will be very few butterflies, especially Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells.
I reckon the vanessids will be alright, Jason - they'll have spring to recover. It's the grass feeders I'm more concerned about. I reckon the summer skippers might be in relatively short supply given how their lhp got desiccated during that first heatwave.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

For those of you who prefer the Fox diary - here is an update.

I have seen the Foxes at night through the summer, but not in the daytime. The drought may have caused them to forage further afield.

Today I just saw the back of the fox in the back garden as I went into the kitchen, so thought I had missed it.

However, it returned to investigate my weed patch and the patio before making haste when it realised I was photographing it.
Attachments
Fox, Muirfield Park, 17.09.22
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

European Butterflies Magazine Issue 6 Spring 2023 is now printed.

Please see the Overseas section for more details about the magazine.

There are articles about Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, Corfu, France, Herzegovina, Hungary and Switzerland.
Attachments
European Butterflies Magazine 2023
European Butterflies Magazine 2023
David M

Post by David M »

Been a really good edition, Jason. Well done for putting it together.

In less than 3 weeks I'll be out in Europe to get going once more. Your magazine has just made me yearn for it even more.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Very little to report on the butterfly front - the season has been very poor so far.

The fox was in the back garden today, about 1300, first time I have seen it in daylight this year.

There was a Red Admiral on the Pink Valerian in the front garden.

It is now pouring with rain - first time for 5 weeks!!
Attachments
Fox, Muirfield Park, 18.06.23
Fox, Muirfield Park, 18.06.23
Red Admiral, Muirfield Park, 18.06.23
Red Admiral, Muirfield Park, 18.06.23
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:27 pmVery little to report on the butterfly front - the season has been very poor so far...
Same round here, Jason, although things have picked up this last week or so.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

John Williams from Wales has been keeping me in touch with his visits to Chatelard Frontiere in Switzerland.

This year he was hoping for Poplar Admiral - this is where I have seen Poplar Admiral twice in the past.

He has been fortunate in spotting it on the track there.

But he went further and obtained some cow manure locally and spread this on the path the next day.

The Poplar Admiral seems to like this feast!!

Photos: John Williams.
Attachments
Poplar Admiral 1, 21.06.23
Poplar Admiral 1, 21.06.23
Poplar Admiral 2, 21.06.23
Poplar Admiral 2, 21.06.23
Poplar Admiral 3, 21.06.23
Poplar Admiral 3, 21.06.23
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Great photos. Having seen Poplar Admiral in Italy just two days ago, it is a stunning butterfly!
David M

Post by David M »

Stunning butterfly. One of Europe's finest. :mrgreen:
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I have been away on holiday in Switzerland. My impression is that there were fewer butterflies and fewer species unfortunately.

I missed butterflies such as Silver-washed Fritillary, Lesser Marbled Fritillary, Idas Blue, Silver-studded Blue and Bath White.

I will start the story of my trip tomorrow.

Meanwhile the Fox has been at home in the garden - laid out sleeping on Monday.
Attachments
Fox, Muirfield Park, 17.07.23
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:38 pmI have been away on holiday in Switzerland. My impression is that there were fewer butterflies and fewer species unfortunately.

I missed butterflies such as Silver-washed Fritillary, Lesser Marbled Fritillary, Idas Blue, Silver-studded Blue and Bath White...
Sad to hear this, Jason, but it merely reflects the situation just about everywhere in the mountains of Europe this year.

I'll look forward to hearing about what you did see (and will put to one side the things you didn't!)
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

On the first day of my holiday - Thursday 6th July - the forecast was not very encouraging for the higher mountain sites.

I went to Aigle from Brig in the morning to look at the railways there, in the hope that by the afternoon the sun would be shining in the Rhone Valley.

Fortunately, when I arrived back at Leuk - my best site if the weather is not that good - it was brightening up. There weren't as many butterflies as usual, however the regular Scarce Swallowtail was seen on the track at the back of the railway station.

On the track on the other side of the river - the side paths did not offer much - Queen of Spain Fritillary, Marbled White and Provencal Short-tailed Blue. I walked as far as the waterfall - and was very pleased to find Southern White Admirals taking moisture from the wet path. Other butterflies seen included Brimstone, Clouded Yellow, Great Sooty Satyr and Adonis Blue.
Attachments
Marbled White, Leuk, 06.07.23
Marbled White, Leuk, 06.07.23
Provencal Short-tailed Blue, Leuk, 06.07.23
Provencal Short-tailed Blue, Leuk, 06.07.23
Queen of Spain Fritillary, Leuk, 06.07.23
Queen of Spain Fritillary, Leuk, 06.07.23
Scarce Swallowtail, Leuk, 06.07.23
Scarce Swallowtail, Leuk, 06.07.23
Southern White Admiral, Leuk, 06.07.23