Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5

So we’re already in the ‘D’s’ and about a quarter of the way through!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Re: Gatekeeper - Favourite Photo of 2018

Post by MikeOxon »

No room for manoeuvre here, as I only took one shot of this species, when it took a subordinate role during my search for Brown Hairstreaks along the Roman Road onto Otmoor, Oxon.
Otmoor, Oxon - 2nd August 2018<br />Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s@f/6.3 ISO 800
Otmoor, Oxon - 2nd August 2018
Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/250s@f/6.3 ISO 800
Mike
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

My contribution comes from the south west of France from Les Landes.
This pair was seen on the edge of a corn field and I particularly like the contrasting undersides.
July 14th :
tithonus7 pair Eugénie-les-bains_40 14Jul18 (1).JPG
Context:
context Buanes_40 14Jul18.JPG
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took my shots mostly in East Blean/ Blean Woods on the 23rd and 10th of July with the exception of a mating pair I saw on the Dover Cliffs 14th July, I didn't actually see a Gate Keeper here in the North until I came South in July which was unusual because other years I'd seen plenty, no idea why unless it was the hot weather. Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_a202.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_9ca0.jpeg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I had a great walk at Upton Towans on 11 July, the dunes were alive with butterflies. Gatekeepers, Small Skippers and Silver-studded Blues in large numbers with Dark Green Fritillary also putting in a good performance. Ragwort, seemed to be particularly popular. Although I have chosen a rather poor photograph, it is a fair representation of the dunes that day.
Attachments
Gatekeeper.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Gatekeepers had a rather poor year compared to many others who seemed to flourish during the heatwave, they were certainly down in numbers by some way compared to previous years and unlike most years had all but vanished by the time the Brown Hairstreaks began to appear. I put this down to the late emerging nature of the species required the larvae to endure a larger portion of the summers lack of rain, and therefore poor grass growth. Anyway this female is the stand out specimen of the year for me :)
Gatekeeper female ab. multiocellata, Mill Hill, Shoreham.JPG
and I quite like this little gang from Bookham
Gatekeeper's, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I really struggled to get good pictures of Gatekeeper this year. I think their emergence coincided with the peak of the heatwave, so I rarely saw them basking, or even with open wings. This picture comes from a memorable day during my fieldwork, at Llanymynech Rocks on the English/Welsh border on 25th July. I'm sure there will be more photos from that day in later 'favourite photo' threads...
IMG_1964.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another species which seemed to have a short flight period this year and which were certainly down in numbers around my local patch. Having said that, they were regular visitors to my garden where they appear to be breeding in the areas of long grass that I leave.
Gatekeeper male - Coverdale 10.07.2017
Gatekeeper male - Coverdale 10.07.2017
I quite like the following shot which was taken on some ragwort down the bottom of the garden with the dark shade under a shrub in the background.
Gatekeeper underside - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Gatekeeper underside - Coverdale 15.07.2018
Cheers,

Neil.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Whilst searching for something rarer I happened across this pair of Gatekeepers at Aversley Wood, Cambs. I came across 15 or more feeding on the brambles nearby 7th July
Attachments
Gatekeeper_0159.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

I arrived back in the UK from the south of France in mid-July to find conditions hot and parched and Gatekeepers were already on the decline.

Such were the temperatures, I struggled to see any basking with wings open so this was probably the optimum shot I managed, on Kilvey Hill, Swansea, on 19th July:
1.HBfem(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Hedge Brown

This Hedgie fell into the Favourite bracket for several reasons; it was one of only a few ‘aberrants’ that I saw all year being an ‘excessa’, it was taken relatively early in the morning and so, to my eyes, as a lovely golden glow about it and finally it was one of the first butterflies I saw on what turned out to be an epic day with a return visit to this site and a visit to Shipton Bellinger sandwiched in between.
DSC_2808 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

This species had a disappointing year locally. I saw the first one on 21st June, but after a brief peak in mid-July, the last sighting was very early - 1st August. Here is a pairing from 9th July.
GK pair2 090718.JPG
Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

millerd wrote:This species had a disappointing year locally. I saw the first one on 21st June, but after a brief peak in mid-July, the last sighting was very early - 1st August. Here is a pairing from 9th July.GK pair2 090718.JPG
Dave
A beautiful photo, Dave, I love the soft colours and the way the butterflies stand-out from the muted background. :)

Mike
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Mike - I think the sun had gone in suddenly, which softened the lighting somewhat. I was pleased to get both butterflies in focus! :)

Cheers,

Dave
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

Numbers of Gatekeepers around here were well down on last year, and my only half-decent photo opportunity in 2018 was of this rather shy female at Birch Wood, Cuxton on July 10th...

Return to “Gatekeeper”