Butterflies of Var, Southern France

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Roger Gibbons

Re: Butterflies of Var, Southern France

Post by Roger Gibbons »

David M wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:04 pm I hadn't realised teleius was out in mid-July. It's high on my 'hit list' so I will park that information for future reference.
At this particular but highly secret site these two species are out much later than elsewhere, even locally. I was informed by the local experts that the flight period varies quite dramatically, so it would be worth checking the normal (whatever that is these days) flight period for the site you intend to visit, David.

Curiously enough, I have just been having the same conversation with another prominent UKBer.

Roger
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Good to get away to northern Var for a few days and escape the miserable April weather here. It looks like a late spring there too, but at least there was enough warmth and sun for butterflies to be out and about in numbers. When the first one you stumble across is a Nettle-tree, things are good:
P1020696.jpg
There were a few about but this was the only one stopping (briefly) for photos.

Various blues:
Common Blue
Common Blue
Baton Blue
Baton Blue
Chequered Blue
Chequered Blue
David M

Post by David M »

Interesting to know that it's a late spring in Var, Roger.

Right now Spain is ridiculously warm and I have seen 60 butterfly species in the last five days (in the centre and north of the country too!)

Hope the rest of your trip is productive.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Brimstones and Cleopatras always seem to be numerous here. Unlike in Britain, they actually seem to stop moving from time to time so they can nectar, almost always to the little blue-purple Aphyllanthes monspeliensis.
P1020721.jpg
There were a surprising number of Bath Whites about - this is a species I always imagined started off in low numbers which increase as the year goes on (though it's not a species I've paid much attention to). Also the odd Dappled White too.
P1020699.jpg
Green Hairstreaks were around in good numbers, especially where you had the combination of shrubs, bare ground and nectar.
P1020726.jpg
P1020757.jpg
Baton, Black-eyed and Chequered were the most common of the blues. Common Blue and Brown Argus were out but not yet in numbers; Green-underside and Adonis only just emerging and Small Blue completely absent at this stage. A few of the Baton Blues and Green Hairstreaks were incredibly small, barely Small Blue size - perhaps this is a consequence of the extreme heat and drought of last summer desiccating their foodplants.
P1020753.jpg
P1020739a.jpg
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

On our route to Var in south-central France in mid-May, we made a “slight” diversion of about 250 miles to spend a day or two in the eastern Pyrenees mainly for Spanish Fritillary (Euphydryas desfontainii) at a little-known location which I had been told about but only after I had been sworn to secrecy, almost on pain of death. It may be one of very few, possibly the only, site on the French side of the Pyrenees where desfontainii still flies.

The well-known site near Sournia, too well-known it appears, has seemingly been eradicated by person or persons unknown that allegedly removed all of the eggs. I’m not sure if it has been seen in that region since. Last year I met some people from CEN-Occitanie (the conservation body) there who were searching there for desfontainii without success. It just reinforces the need for confidentiality for sites of threatened species. It is more widespread on the Spanish side, but still very localised, as reports from Pete S and David M have illustrated.

A stop half-way south near Vierzon at a spot I had seen Chequered Skipper (Carterocephalus palaemon) some 25 years ago (and last year at the same spot). All butterflies are equal, but some are more equal than others, and palaemon is one of the latter. Here is a very fresh male.
Carterocephalus palaemon_50661.JPG
On to the desfontainii site. The weather was dreadful for the two days we were there, 12C and virtually no sun. So it was a case of spotting roosters for the most part, and a few moments of weak sun just enough to tempt a few to open up briefly, which is actually not too far from ideal from a photography point of view.

The problem with desfontainii is that it very thoughtlessly flies with the much more numerous subspecies of Marsh Fritillary (E. aurinia) ssp beckeri, which it very closely resembles. In passing, aurinia is a very unusual species with so many different forms, most far removed from anything that could be described as marsh.

Here are a couple of female desfontainii and a male beckeri below.
Euphydryas desfontainii_50789.JPG
Euphydryas desfontainii_50814.JPG
Euphydryas aurinia_50749.JPG
The underside are very different – here is desfontainii, probably a male – and a male beckeri.
Euphydryas desfontainii_50710.JPG
Euphydryas aurinia_50692.JPG
It is allegedly a late season, but the two (what I think are) female desfontainii are showing signs of wear and the one sure male we saw was quite battered, so we were clearly a week or so past the peak flight period.

There have been drought warnings in southern France since April, almost unprecedented, but plenty of much-needed rain in the past few days, including today (hence this post). The butterfly numbers here are much reduced but maybe the rain will help to restore some normality.

Roger
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Hi Roger,
It is noticeable that the markings on your desfontainii from the "French" side are subtly but definitely different to those photographed by David and myself in Andalusia recently. Pulling them up side by side on the computer screen shows these differences clearly. In particular, your examples appear to have more "yellow" in the discal area, and the black marginal lines inside the wing-edge fringes are parallel to the wing edge in yours and pretty straight. In David's and mine these black lines are closer to the middle of the marginal straw band, and are arc or chevron-shaped rather than straight.
spanfrits.png
It looks like this species may show similar geographical variation to the Marsh Fritillary, unsurprisingly, although I cannot find any reference to described subspecies anywhere - shhhh, don't tell the taxonomists!
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Hi Pete,

Tolman does actually describe a subspecies, baetica, but he makes the distinction between north African and European races, baetica being the European subspecies, with no apparent distinction between French and Spanish “races”. Another female we saw was very much paler red, but not because of ageing.

It seems to me that this is a rather variable species, but not on the scale of beckeri which seems to be hugely variable – most of the beckeri we saw had little or no resemblance to the illustrations in Tolman. And quite some way from the Lincolnshire marshies…

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Roger Gibbons wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:26 am...The well-known site near Sournia, too well-known it appears, has seemingly been eradicated by person or persons unknown that allegedly removed all of the eggs. I’m not sure if it has been seen in that region since...
Will be visiting that site within the next couple of days so will report back if we see any.

Last time there was a desfontainii was in 2018, so I'm not expecting any to be around, but will do my usual thorough check.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Guess who came to dinner today....
Charaxes jasius_50983.JPG
The Two-tailed Pasha (Charaxes jasius).

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Great stuff! Where was this, Roger?
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

In our garden/patio (close to the south coast - nearest town Fréjus).

It was on a rum/banana mash that they find irresistible. Half the fun is watching them swoop around before landing. No other species flies with the speed and power of Pashas.

Waiting to read your Pyrenees report with interest....

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous, Roger. Saw a couple myself last week only without the alcohol-laced banana! :D
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

One of the strangest European butterflies, the Nettle-tree Butterfly (Libythea celtis) enjoying talking salts from some sandy soil.
Libythea celtis_51001.JPG
Roger

Return to “Overseas”