MrSp0ck

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: MrSp0ck

Post by Wurzel »

Already booked my Brownie Point day MrSpock! Can't wait!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

I did the 3 Transects today in the Sunshine [Chapel Bank, Hutchinsons Bank, Featherbed Lane Golf Course] and had the first Green Hairstreak of the Year at Chapel Bank, and 3 Dingy Skippers at Hutchinsons Bank. Small White, Orange Tip, Holly Blue were also seen as well as all the hibernators, except Red Admiral.

Most of the Glanville caterpillars in the Cutting have wandered off to pupate, and in the Big Scrape they are starting to split up ready for wandering off.
DSC01383ccs.JPG
DSC01384ccs.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Really hoping to be able to make a visit to this site as it looks great! :D Is your Greenstreak an aberrant it doesn't appear to have any of the white dots/streaks?

Have a goodun
Wurzel

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Wurzel wrote:Is your Greenstreak an aberrant it doesn't appear to have any of the white dots/streaks?

Have a goodun
Wurzel
Our GHs often dont have white spots, or just the top hindwing one, I only got that one shot, as it settled while the sun went in for a few seconds, then went when it came out again. I wanted to move around to get a flat wing shot, but wasnt in position in time.

Its a lovely site, with a mixture of habitats, there is also going to be a good show of Kidney vetch in the Big Scrape.

ive just reloaded the image and its the one spot version, as mentioned above.
DSC01383z.JPG

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Today we had a Butterfly Conservation walk at Hutchinsons Bank, although it was a misty wet start, the sun did appear around mid-day. Dingy Skipper, Orange Tip, Green-veined White, Small Heath, were all seen, along with a Red Admiral in the large scrape, we dont have many Red Admirals, so its from the recent influx of them.

A well hidden Dingy Skipper was on the muddy scrape.
DSC01397s.JPG
The Glanvilles have started to emerge this afternoon, so should start appearing over the next few days.

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Thursday 12th May Kent Trip.

The day started at Hutchinsons Bank with photos of the first Glanvilles this year.
DSC01410s.JPG
DSC01420s.JPG
Greenie and myself visited a few sites in Kent today, starting at Denge for Dukes, our first stop due to motorway holdups at the M25/M20 junction, had to go via M2/A2. The long walk upto the reserve saw a few Orange Tips and Brimstones, but at the far end of the bank 20-30 Dukes were flying. The Lady Orchids were just starting to flower.
DSC01440s.JPG
DSC01443s.JPG
Then it was onto Park Gate Down, where there was not much in either the Orchid or Butterfly front, and no Monkey Orchids in leaf or bud, when they should be flowering in 2 weeks time.

It was then onto Marden Meadow for the Green-Winged Orchids.
DSC01456s.JPG
DSC01466s.JPG
Ended up back at Hutchinsons Bank at the end of the day, the last Glanville caterpillar was on its march looking for somewhere to pupate.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Now, where's that Tram ticket ?!!!.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It's great to see a Glanville Fritillary again, nice shots. Also good to see that Dukes appear to be doing well in Kent.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Glanville and the Dukes Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Glannies MrSpock :D Hopefully the weather will play ball next weekend and I can get up that way - it's been a long old three years since my last encounter with this species!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Ive been on Glannie duties the last few days, Today was a late start for them as it was dull and chilly until mid-day, but when the sun shone they appeared on the banks of the cutting, for the few photographers who took a chance on the weather. Later on they flew up to the top of the cutting bank, and the field above where i took these pictures.
DSC01481s.JPG
DSC01491s.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great shots of the Glanvilles Martin - your predictions about their timing was spot on :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Butterfly shots Martin, I've to see a Glanville :mrgreen: Goldie :D

MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Sunday 15th May

Glanville Day

The day started with lots of visitors in the cutting, 2 of which found a wild glanville pupa, the first wild one ive seen, again it was on a stone, like one ive seen in a photo from IOW. The Glanvilles were emerging before our eyes in the scrape.
DSC01508s.JPG
Then in the afternoon we had an ab. possibly ab. wittei, it flew over the hedge after a few pictures, and we didnt manage to relocate it in the lower paddocks or the bottom bridleway where they also hang out. Greenie managed to get better upper and underside pictures before it flew.
_MG_0485s.JPG
_MG_0497s.JPG
_MG_0500s.JPG

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Superb shoots of the Glanvilles. Would love to see them someday. :D

Gary.N

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Another nice fritillary ab! The crazy freezing cold/boiling hot spring we had looks likely to have had an effect :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

bugboy wrote:Another nice fritillary ab! The crazy freezing cold/boiling hot spring we had looks likely to have had an effect :)
I think this is a genetical ab, rather than caused by weather.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like ab. horvathi according to here:

http://www.britishbutterflyaberrations. ... berrations

Some addictions are good for the soul!
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

bugboy wrote:Looks like ab. horvathi according to here:

http://www.britishbutterflyaberrations. ... berrations
its illustrated as wittei in thomas and lewington.

IOW 1929
DSC01514s.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic ab. MrSpock :D :oops: I'm salivating now whilst awaiting next weekend along with hoping for good weather. In fact I've even considered converting to a religion in the hope that a word with the big man/men/woman/general Deity will set it to fair :shock: Am I correct in assuming that the HB Glannies are related to the population that used to be at Wrecclesham? I was just wondering as I found a slightly similar ab there back in 2012...
178.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”