William

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
William

Re: William

Post by William »

Thanks Wurzel, it was great fun breeding the butterflies and the possible ab. Alba was a lovely suprise :D :D .

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
William

Post by William »

May (Part 4)

As May wore on, the butterfly season, having started late began to get going. I went on regular walks on my patch, trying to find new butterflies in new spots. It was on one such walk - searching for Orange Tips in a small piece of woodland, that I had a fantastic suprise.
I stopped for a while, leaning on a fence post when I saw a butterfly move past very quickly, skimming over the buttercups and sorrel heads in the nearby field. The powder blue uppersides made its identity even more obvious than its hasty searching flight - a male Common Blue.
Common Blues have always been somewhat difficult to track down in my neck of the woods. The system of Agriculture with intensive grazing - often at the wrong times of year can mean that as soon as they get established at a spot, they get disturbed and pushed out, only to turn up at a different spot the next year. They tend to be particularly hard to find in the first brood, and as such I was overjoyed to chance upon five or six of these little beauties - my first of the year.
It was midday at the time of my discovery, and consequently they weren't sticking around for photos, still, not defeated, I vowed to return in the evening, hoping for better photographic opportunities.
I was not disappointed, and over the next few days, I took several walks to photograph these little beauties, paying particular attention to some of the stunning females.
Common Blue - Female
Common Blue - Female
Common Blue - Female
Common Blue - Female
Common Blue - Male
Common Blue - Male
Common Blue - Male
Common Blue - Male
At the same spot in 2012, I also saw this male Common Blue. At the time I wondered if it was an aberration, being ghostly pale in its underside colour (its upperside was perfectly normal), at first I thought it was battered, but seeing the fresh white borders, I do wonder if it was in fact very fresh, and unusually pale.
Common Blue - Male - Possible Aberration
Common Blue - Male - Possible Aberration

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am enjoying your diary and your photos are refreshingly different - the CB male, second from last, well, I can see that as a framed print on my wall. It's lovely.

William

Post by William »

Thanks for your kind comments Pauline :D :D it was great to get to know the butterflies' habits - that photo was taken at about 8:30 whilst he was still warming up.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

I'm loving the distance shots William, they're very atmospheric ~ making me reminisce about all of those warm spring and summer days gone by.

William

Post by William »

Thanks B'Saurus - the distant male upperside is one of my favourite shots and I just have to look at it for the wildflowers, the warmth and the little blue pin-pricks all to come flooding back to me - wonderful! :D :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi William

I also very much like your distance shots of the Common Blue and the Orange Tip :D :D Something a little different to the norm :D Great

William

Post by William »

Thanks Jack - your kind comments are much appreaciated :D :D .

William

Post by William »

June (Part 1)

After an enjoyable, but realtively cool May, I was looking forward to getting into the meat of the Butterfly season when June came around, the heat that finally arrived towards the end of the month was welcome indeed, hinting at the possibilites of July and August to come.

Throughout the month I monitored the growth of the Orange Tip larvae on my garlic mustard, and was delighted to watch their progress as they moved from ovum right through to pupation.
Orange Tip Ovum - About to Hatch
Orange Tip Ovum - About to Hatch
Orange Tip - Young Larva
Orange Tip - Young Larva
Orange Tip - Young Larva
Orange Tip - Young Larva
Orange Tip - Young Larva
Orange Tip - Young Larva
Orange Tip - Final Instar Larva
Orange Tip - Final Instar Larva
Orange Tip Larva - Pupating
Orange Tip Larva - Pupating
Orange Tip Pupa
Orange Tip Pupa
Orange Tips were not the only Immature stages I ended up 'supervising', when, towards the end of the month I found my first ovipositing Small Tortoiseshell and followed her larvae through June and July.
Small Tortoiseshell Ova
Small Tortoiseshell Ova
Small Tortoiseshell Larvae
Small Tortoiseshell Larvae
On top of this, I spotted an egg laying female Speckled wood and was able to find the subsequent 'bundles of joy' in a small patch of long grass.
Speckled Wood Ovum
Speckled Wood Ovum

David M

Post by David M »

Great images again, William.

William

Post by William »

Thanks David :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I agree with David. Great photos William. :D

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff William :D The difference between the instars of the OT suprised me, they could almost be two different species they're so different :shock: Looking forward to the Specklies development shots if you have them :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Amazing images William :D

The Orange-tip, Small Tortoiseshell and Speckled Wood eggs are particularly impressive, however the pre-pupation Orange-tip larva is worth a special mention! I have had to quickly brush-up on my caterpillar and butterfly development and anatomy, but, under the skin, it seems to show structures associated with the development of the wings in the second and third thoracic segments.
UKB 28-01.jpg
I still have to do some further research as to what they are called and how they develop, but they are exactly where they are supposed to be and I have never seen these structures showing up so clearly at this stage.

PM to follow.

Vince

EDIT: See this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly#Wing_development and scroll down to "Wing Development"

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Just superb, William - the image that Vince has highlighted is something I've never seen before, so many thanks for that! Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
William

Post by William »

Thank you guys for all your comments - sadly, Wurzel I don't have any more speckled wood shots - the larvae fell victim to the family lawn - mower - much to my dismay! :cry:

Thank you Pete and Vince for your fascinating words :D , I had no idea what those structures were, and that article made for interesting reading. If it's any help, I think that picture was taken 4 or 5 hours before pupation.

William

Post by William »

June (Part 2)

As the month warmed up, things really got going after the year's slow start. June is always a busy month, and so sadly I didn't get out to see too many butterflies. Nevertheless I caught up with Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries for the first time in a while. Sadly they were very active, and difficult to photograph, but nevertheless a joy to watch - around 20 in all, skimming over the ragged robin and sedges.
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary
The spot I looked for them is a delightful location on the Mendips, and we were lucky enough to watch several Downy Emerald Dragonflies zooming over a peaty pool close to the butterflies. Later in the year, Black Darters and Emerald Damselflies can be found at this site. Nearby, a short drive away I also found my first Bee Orchids (as well as some of the rare variant - var. Trolli, otherwise known as 'Wasp Orchid').
Bee Orchid
Bee Orchid
Throughout the month, numbers of Small Tortoiseshell and Speckled Wood built up - resulting in the ova pictured in my last entry.
Small Tortoiseshells Courting
Small Tortoiseshells Courting
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood
I was also delighted to find my first Small Copper of the year - a beautiful butterfly that posed happily for me, perching on Sorrel seed heads in a buttercup filled meadow which I had all to myself - wonderful.
Small Copper
Small Copper
Small Copper
Small Copper

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Lovely photos William. But that picture of a Speckled Wood is just beautiful, typifies a walk down a woodland ride in early summer. Shade, sun and,.......up flies a Specked Wood...........need i say more. :D

All the best, Nick.

William

Post by William »

Thank you very much Nick - it has definitely grown on me over the winter months, it brings back the warmth and dappled shade :D. If I'm honest it was a bit of a fluke, I was going for a photo of it perched and then it took of as I took the shutter! :D

David M

Post by David M »

William wrote:I was going for a photo of it perched and then it took of as I took the shutter!
That's the unintended reason for many of the best images.

Return to “Personal Diaries”