Matsukaze

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Matsukaze

Re: Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Provence, July 2015:
Silver-washed Fritillary
Silver-washed Fritillary
Great Sooty Satyr
Great Sooty Satyr
Blue-spot Hairstreak
Blue-spot Hairstreak
Dusky Heath
Dusky Heath
Scarce Swallowtail disturbed by Marbled Fritillary
Scarce Swallowtail disturbed by Marbled Fritillary
Southern White Admiral
Southern White Admiral

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Aah! Dusky Heath. In spite of my frequent trips to France I've only ever seen one, which is a shame as it is a lovely insect.

Nice open-winged Great Sooty Satyr too!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Both lovely butterflies - the Dusky Heath has to be my favourite in the genus. It is reasonably widespread in the area I visit, in barren scrubby/rocky places, although I don't remember ever seeing more than one at once. Great Sooty Satyr is a butterfly of considerable character, but not very prone to sitting still. If I remember rightly, the one I photographed here was being bothered by a hairstreak at the time - they do not normally have their wings open when nectaring.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Matsukaze, I really like the habitat shows as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Matsukaze

Return of the Living Bumblebee!

Post by Matsukaze »

It's that time of year again - the fluffy foragers are back!
28072013_ 003.jpg
hortorum180607_014.jpg
120609_ 027.jpg
310510_ 008.JPG
Dsc01837.jpg
terrestris110609_023.jpg
Dsc04471.jpg
100511_ 051.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Iv'e also seen some ' fluffy foragers ' this year, but no Butterflies so far.
If the weather forecasters are right I think I can forget a February sighting this year.
Anyway your lovely images can be looked upon as a foretaste of Spring.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a brill sight to see Matsukaze - I reckon I can see 4 definite species there and possibly a fifth? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Snow here so no more bumblebees and no butterflies either!

Wurzel, six species in all, though the last one hardly lends itself to identification! The bumblebee was so intent on nectaring that it knocked the flower-head off its stalk and swung there, dangling from the flower above, for quite a while before rebalancing itself and climbing up - I have a sequence of photos which I should post up at some point.

hortorum/hortorum/hypnorum/lapidarius/pascuorum/terrestris(?)/terrestris(?)/vestalis

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Yep see you what you mean now, I'm very rusty on my bees :oops:

Have a goodun
Wurzel

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The first butterflies of 2016 today - two male Brimstones patrolling the hedgerows at Kilmersdon cutting today. They flew past each other but either did not see each other or were not interested in chasing the other off. The same could not be said of the 3-5 male Yellowhammers I saw a few minutes later, making a racket, chasing and fighting in the hedgerow. It is always a pleasure to see these birds, with their heads looking like they have been dipped in a tin of paint, and they seem to do well in this area.

Bumblebees are making use of the winter-flowering heather in the garden in increasing numbers; this B. terrestris queen as an example:
Dsc05721.jpg
A nearby wall catches the early evening sun, and at least seven bumblebees were making use of it to warm themselves up. Here are some of them:
Dsc05715.jpg
These two did not seem to mind being right next to each other:
Dsc05728.jpg
The first B. lapidarius queen of the year was also enjoying the wall:
Dsc05729.jpg
Butterflies bask there as well - Small Tortoiseshell and, at the end of the year, Red Admiral - but none yet this year.

Matsukaze

Moths

Post by Matsukaze »

There may be few butterflies about but there are plenty of moths in the woods at the moment.
Attachments
Brindled Pug
Brindled Pug
Brindled Pug
Brindled Pug
Dotted Border - aberration?
Dotted Border - aberration?
Tawny Pinion
Tawny Pinion

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

This is the tortrix moth Endothenia gentianaeana. The caterpillars overwinter in teasel seed-heads, in which they pupate, and they can easily be found by collecting the seedheads in late winter and early spring, like I did to find this one. Although only 9 mm long, they must be great travellers as they seem to have no difficulty colonising even isolated patches of teasel.
Dsc06261.jpg

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Orange-tip larvae...
Dsc06623.jpg
Dsc06622.jpg
Dsc06620.jpg
Dsc06616.jpg
Dsc06590.jpg
Dsc06576.jpg

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Exmoor, July 2016 - not so good for butterflies, but some fine bird and dragonfly life.
Keeled Skimmer
Keeled Skimmer
Coastal linnet
Coastal linnet
Moorland linnet
Moorland linnet
Whinchat
Whinchat

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

A sunny day has brought the butterflies into the garden - whites, plenty of gatekeepers and a painted lady. The patch of small scabious I planted out a couple of years ago is proving especially attractive to them.
Dsc07272.jpg
Dsc07284.jpg
Dsc07285.jpg
Dsc07287.jpg
Dsc07288.jpg

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Just emerged - male November Moth (agg.), from caterpillar accidentally collected with fallen elm seeds back in late May.
Dsc07968.jpg

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I planted a number of buckthorn saplings in my in-laws' Oxfordshire garden a few years back, partly in the hope of attracting Brimstones. The butterflies have not yet bred on them to my knowledge, but this weekend I was delighted to find they had been colonised by the leaf-mining micro-moth Stigmella catharticella - a moth I have never come across before and which makes one of the most attractive of leaf-mines.
Dsc08002.jpg
Dsc08003.jpg
Dsc08010.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Where do you get these buckthorn saplings from? I'd love to plant a few around my estate but can't seem to find them for sale anywhere.

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi David - it was a few years ago now and I don't recall exactly who we bought the shrubs from, but it was done online from one of the foodplant suppliers that used to be listed on the website. Habitat Aid do them, and so do Chew Valley Trees. I imagine there are a few other suppliers as well.

David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote:Hi David - it was a few years ago now and I don't recall exactly who we bought the shrubs from, but it was done online from one of the foodplant suppliers that used to be listed on the website. Habitat Aid do them, and so do Chew Valley Trees. I imagine there are a few other suppliers as well.
Thanks for that, Matsukaze. I will look into it.

Return to “Personal Diaries”