South Africa diary

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Charaxes

Re: South Africa diary

Post by Charaxes »

I discovered I have a further half an hour of power! so a few other photos this time of moths..
Mittonia hampsoni hampson's salad.JPG
Mittonia hampsoni - Hampson's salad
epiphora mythimnia white ringed atlas (7).JPG
Epiphora mythimnia - White ringed atlas
epiphora mythimnia white ringed atlas (4).JPG
epiphora mythimnia white ringed atlas (2).JPG
Aurivillius arata cats eyed emperor .JPG
Aurivillius arata - Cats eyed emperor
Argema mimosae luna moth.JPG
Argema mimosae - Luna moth
many convulvulous hawks.JPG
Many Convulvulous hawk moths at the moth trap - December
Lophostethus dumolinii arrow sphinx.JPG
Lophostethus dumolinii - Arrow sphinx
Last edited by Charaxes on Fri May 12, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Your diary continues to be a great pleasure to dip into. Wonderful to see the variety of species but also fascinating to hear of how you engage with them.

In terms of tracking down immature stages I don’t think I can suggest anything you don’t already know. Finding favoured breeding sites will involve having a basic knowledge of the species and then a whole lot of time and effort in the field. The difficulty level will of course depend upon the species. One thing I will say though is that I’m sure your overall butterfly experience will be greatly enhanced by any inroads you make in this area. It already sounds like you live in a butterfly paradise and adding a deeper knowledge of certain species will only help you appreciate it even more.

I can think of little more pleasurable than helping you find them in person, but family life is very busy - perhaps one day…..

Looking forward to the next instalments…..
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Just a thought - I’m sure you are already aware of the use of UV torches to survey for immature stages? This has been discussed in my own PD recently and some of us have used the method for a good few years now.

It’s really fascinating to go out at night and discover what fluoresces under UV light. I can well imagine you might find all sorts of things without having to travel too far. Purple emperor pupae, for example, fluoresce under UV very strongly - with a good torch you can pick them out clearly at a distance of 10m or more - an incredible survey method.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Amazing moths Scott. I'll reply to email v. soon. Lots happening here.
David M

Post by David M »

Incredible line-up of moths, Scott. Some....(most actually) look almost alien.

The diversity in your wider area seems extraordinarily broad. :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I must admit I don't often spent much time looking at non-uk threads but I am fascintated by your reports on the stuff you have around your area. I was amazed at the selection of beautiful butterflies but then I saw those moths...absolutely incredible :mrgreen: :D
Keep up the good work, I shall look forward to seeing what else you have there.

Cheers,

Neil.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the replies,

Benjamin, before this trip I was reading your PD and bought a UV torch before leaving UK, but wonder if you could recommend the model you use? The torch I bought is very good (nitecore p20i uv) but it's not a dedicated UV torch and so the beam in the UV setting is not strong enough to search effectively at night.
While on the farm I do a lot of night walking using a normal white light and this turns up a lot of interesting creatures but rarely any immature stages of butterflies or moths. However, this season we did find the larvae of Lophostethus dumolinii - Arrow sphinx, which I posted last time.
Lophostethus dumolinii - Arrow sphinx.JPG
Lophostethus dumolinii - Arrow sphinx
IMG_1056 (450x800).jpg
Larvae of Cat's eyed emperor- Aurivillius arata is also possible to find at night with a torch. Although it doesn't fluoresce, it does reflect light strongly.

One of the main targets to find while night walking is the flap-knecked chameleon, which I might have mentioned before. For some years I didn't see any chameleons on the farm and started to believe there were very few here. Occasionally while driving, one would be met crossing the road, but generally they remained very elusive. By walking at night and searching with a bright torch chameleons reflect a blue white colour and they are relatively easy to find once you have your eye in.

When I first started looking at night it took a little while to find the correct method, but then fast I started finding sleeping chameleons and had some very exciting evenings when quite a few turned up, and so I realised the population was much higher than I suspected. One of the most exciting evenings was when I came across a group of tiny chameleon hatchlings fast asleep on swaying grass stalks! Since then we have seen many more and this season, up until I had my bike accident we were up to a tally of 76 which is amazing considering previously I only saw one chameleon over the period of three years (total of six months on the farm over this period).
IMG_8667.JPG
Hatchling flap necked chameleon
thumbnail (2).jpg
IMG_8698.JPG
Gravid female flap necked chameleon
IMG_8747.JPG
IMG_9621s.JPG

There are many other interesting sights to be seen at night here and a few are pictured below.
IMG_8410.JPG
Galago moholi - Lesser bushbaby
Pyxicephalus edulus - African bullfrog.JPG
Pyxicephalus edulus - African bullfrog
IMG_8354.JPG
Homopholis wahlbergii - Wahlberg's velvet gecko
IMG_8125.jpg
Bubu africanus - Spotted eagle owl
I think for next season I will concentrate on trying to obtain more larvae and other immature stages, concentrating on the Charaxes, because like you say It can add such an interesting perspective to the hobby we so enjoy. A couple of weeks ago I nearly did get lucky with the Charaxes because while i was working in the garden I noticed a Van son's charaxes female circling around a Peltophorum africanum tree just next to where I was working. She quickly entered the foliage and started ovipositing so I marked a spot and climbed the tree but was unable to locate the egg. Unfortunately now time is running short and soon I'll be back in UK so this project will have to now wait for next time.
IMG_2059 - Copy.JPG
The only Charaxes larvae i've been lucky enough to find. This was some years ago and unfortunately I didn't raise it because of lack of time - Hopefully in the future this will change..
Last edited by Charaxes on Fri May 12, 2023 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Thanks for your comments Neil, David and Pauline. Glad you are enjoying.

Since I last wrote I've been fairly busy working on and around the house but have seen some beautiful butterflies along the way. Numbers are slowly falling as autumn progresses but there are still many around and some particularly special ones. I've been laying a new path way in the garden and a surprising number are attracted to the drying cement. A good variety of Charaxes have visited over the last days and to have these wonderful insects as company while working keeps things very interesting.
charaxes phaeus dusky charaxes female (2).JPG
Charaxes phaeus - Dusky charaxes female which passed by yesterday for a sip on the wet cement.
charaxes phaeus dusky charaxes female1.JPG
Charaxes phaeus - Dusky charaxes - Showing how the blue changes depending on light and angle of view
Charaxes Candiope - Green veined Charaxes.JPG
Charaxes Candiope - Green veined Charaxes. Over the last few days two individuals have usually been passing their time at the wet cement or alternatively chasing each other round the immediate area.

The week before we visited one of our neighbours and took an afternoon walk up one of the mountains on his farm which is around 40 minutes drive from here. At the top of the mountain, which has a very different geology to anywhere on this farm, I found a small bush with yellow flowers, covered in Mocker bronzes. Considering I had only seen one of these butterflies before, I was quite amazed to suddenly see 7 or 8 individuals sipping nectar along with a few of their family members - Grass jewel blues and some common blues.

I was interested to see just how much the Mocker bronzes were enjoying the flowers of this plant - One had it's head completely buried inside the flower!
Cacyreus virilis mocker bronze marks mountain.JPG
Cacyres virilis mocker bronze. Marks mountain on small plant with yellow flowers seven or eight.JPG
IMG_5373.JPG
View from the top of the mountain looking north. Apologies once again for the wrongly orientated photo, but turning it before uploading makes no difference!

While on top of the mountain I also spotted an interesting butterfly which was sailing around a small area and constantly returning to the same or nearby perches. It had an absolutely beautiful flight and I was transfixed for a while watching its delicate turns and twists while it patrolled the small area under it's guard. Interestingly, It looked very much like a small African monarch - Danaus chrysippus but I could see by it's shape and movements it was something else. After a closer inspection while the butterfly was settled I saw it was actually a member of the subfamily Heliconiinae falling under the genus of Telchinias which are closely related to the Acraeas. I've not introduced these butterflies yet, but will do soon!
The butterfly I was looking at was infact a new one for me - Telchinia encedon encedon - White- barred Telchinia. There are a few different forms of this butterfly and the one I spotted was form Fulva which is a Muellerian mimic of the African monarch - Danaus chrysippus orientis.
Acraea encedon encedonTelchinia encedon encedon White barred telchinia.JPG
Telchinia encedon encedon - White-barred Telchinia
Acraea encedon encedonTelchinia encedon encedon White barred telchinia windmill mt..JPG
Telchinia encedon encedon - White-barred Telchinia. I saw this individual the week after I saw the first. It was exhibiting the same hill-topping behaviour but this time on the top of a mountain close to the house.

Sadly once again the power is about to go off here so I'll have to wait until next time before writing more. For those of you who aren't familiar, In South Africa we have what's called load shedding - basically regular power cuts for 2-4 hours because the power grid is in disrepair. After some time it's possible to get used to these cuts but of course it is still inconvenient at times.

All the best and hope everyone is enjoying the spring in UK and seeing some butterflies, Scott
David M

Post by David M »

What a remarkable world you live in, Scott. It's worth trading the power cuts to be surrounded by all that rich variety of wildlife.

I must say that Spotted Eagle Owl looks highly impressive as well as incredibly focused. I bet those bushbabies quake every night at the thought of that monster coming to devour them!!
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

The butterflies are still flying in large numbers here on the farm, although over the last weeks I’ve seen considerably fewer individuals of certain species, while others, namely the tip have increased. At the moment it’s unseasonably warm and occasionally a little rain has been falling which I believe has helped keep some species of butterfly flying.

A few days ago on a warm sunny morning I was passing the veg patch and saw a large mother of pearl sail in, settle of the wet earth and start puddling. Since I first saw these butterflies ( a new species for the farm this year) I’ve managed a few close inspections and see that they are actually the clouded mother of pearl (Protogoniomorpha anacardii nebulosa), rather than the Common mother of pearl ( Protogoniomorpha parhassus), which makes sense because the former occurs a little closer than the latter. Still, they must have still flown a considerable distance to be here.
Protogoniomorpha anacardii nebulosa clouded mother of pearl nr tanks.JPG
Protogoniomorpha anacardii nebulosa - clouded mother of pearl. This specimen i spotted one morning while checking the borehole - it was still cold and yet to fly and so was a very lucky sighting!

I approached the specimen I’d seen land and quite possibly it was the most beautiful butterfly I’ve seen for a long time. Large and in pristine condition, I wondered if it was new generation from the ones I saw a few months ago - the timings could work, although I’ve yet to find the larval host plant here. The mother of pearl glinting and shining across its large and patterned hindwings, and then as I approached, those wings opened to show off the full glory of nature. My breath was taken away but before I could feast my eyes for long, the Mother of Pearl beat its wings and glided with ease off across the garden.

I’d like to finish listing the Lycaenids which occur here, and the next is a particularly interesting species in the subfamily Poritiinae and the genus Aleana of which there are two in South Africa and one which occurs here – the Yellow Zulu (Aleana amazoula susp. ochroma). It’s a small weak flying lycaenid, orange base colour with black netted veins. The Yellow Zulu occurs in small colonies and will always be found near the larval food, cyanobacteria, which is found on suitable rocks. The adults spend most of their time sitting on grass stems and will usually only be seen when flushed from their perch.
Alaena amazoula ochroma  yellow zulu  (2).JPG
Alaena amazoula ochroma - Yellow Zulu male
Alaena amazoula ochroma  yellow zulu .jpg
Alaena amazoula ochroma - Yellow zulu
I’ve seen these butterflies at various localities on the farm but this season we struggled to find them until we stopped looking, then of course they turned up here and there, and also in a few new spots where I’ve not seen them before. It’s always a joy to see one of these little gems flitting between grass stems before landing, positioning itself, usually to avoid too much sun if it’s already warmed itself for the day.
Alaena amazoula ochroma  yellow zulu.JPG
Alaena amazoula ochroma - Yellow zulu

BUFF Next we have another interesting species which I’ve seen for the first this this year. The Bushveld Plain Buff can easily be missed and up until now it had escaped my observation because of its unobtrusive habits. I happened to discover it while my brother was here at Christmas. We were standing under a large Acacia galpinii close to the house and while my brother fiddled with his drone I noticed two small orange butterflies flying weakly amongst the upper branches of the tree. After watching them for a while I could see it was new species but also that they were reluctant to descend within range of a photo which I wanted for identification. I collected my net and handle extensions and managed to net one after a few minutes and upon release the Buff settled on a low branch which allowed me to take a photo. It was a useful lesson in butterfly observation and I’m still amazed this butterfly was living so close to the house but avoided detection for so long.
Cnodontes penningtoni bushveld plain buff in monkey thorn by road below house.JPG
Cnodontes penningtoni - Bushveld plain buff
Probably there are more unknown colonies on the farm but only careful observation will confirm this. Again like the Yellow Zulu the larvae feed on cyanobacteria but this is not confirmed according to the literature. Maybe next season I’ll be able to observe some more exact habits of this species.
Cnodontes penningtoni bushveld plain buff 1.JPG
Cnodontes penningtoni - Bushveld plain buff

Next we have the Scarlets – genus Axiocerses, which occur here. Firstly we have the Bush Scarlet (Axiocerses amanga amanga), a fast flying and very variable little butterfly which at the right times of the year is very common due to its food plants –the sourplums – being very common in most habitats around the farm. The Bush Scarlet is an avid hill topper and will usually be seen on a prominent perch chasing away any intruders. I’m particularly fond of this beautiful little insect because it’s often encountered, and each individual’s underside is a slightly different mix of reds, purples, oranges and browns with the forewing underside dotted with silver spots. Truly beautiful when caught in the right light.
axiocerses amanga  bush scarlet (2).JPG
Axiocerses amanga amanga - Bush scarlet
axiocerses amanga  bush scarlet (7).JPG
axiocerses amanga  bush scarlet .JPG
axiocerses amanga  bush scarlet.JPG
Axiocerses amanga amanga Bush scarlet (2).JPG

The Common Scarlet (Axiocerses tjoane tjoane) despite it name is not quite as commo here as the Bush scarlet but can also be seen often whether it’s hilltopping or flitting and and perching in a wide variety of spots. The larvae feed on various thorn trees which are widespread and so this is mirrored in its distribution around the farm. Male’s uppersides look similar to that of the male and female bush scarlet but the female Common scarlet has a design similar to some coppers with an orange base colour and black dots.
Axiocerses tjoane common scarlet (2).JPG
Axiocerses tjoane tjoane - common scarlet
Axiocerses tjoane common scarlet (4).JPG
Axiocerses tjoane common scarlet female (2).JPG
Axiocerses tjoane tjoane - common scarlet female
Axiocerses tjoane common scarlet.JPG

There should also be another scarlet occurring here – The Black-tipped Scarlet ( Axiocerses coalescens) – but so far I’ve not succeeded in identifying a specimen. It’s very similar to the common scarlet and open wing shots are needed for successful identification which so far I’ve not managed to obtain.

Note: A vervet monkey has just strolled in through the kitchen (which is next door to where I’m writing) with the aim to steal some fruit!

The next genus is the russets or Aloeides which are numerous throughout South Africa but often localised. So far I’ve only identified one species on the farm although I suspect there are more because potentially seven species could occur here. Most have cryptic undersides and so blend well in their habitat, but often will reveal themselves early morning when searching for a sunny spot to warm, or when nectaring on flowers. Often associated with ants of various species and some larvae emerge at night to feed in safety while others are fed by ants.
Aloeides taikosama Dusky copper (6).JPG
Aloeides taikosama - Dusky Russet/Copper
The species I have found here seems to be the Dusky Russet (Aloeides taikosama) which is usually located in grassy areas up the mountains but will also be seen on the lower flats feeding on flowers. There is considerable variation of the underside colouration ranging from cream to brown and through to red magenta – Upper sides are more useful for identification but so far owing to lack of upper side shots I can’t be completely sure of whether all the specimens I’ve photographed are indeed the Dusky Russet.
Aloeides taikosama Dusky copper (7).JPG
Aloeides taikosama - Dusky Russet/Copper
Aloeides taikosama Dusky copper.JPG
Aloeides taikosama -Dusky Russet/Copper

Next come a few rare blues which appear from time to time but so far I’ve not identified any hotspots.
The beautiful Osiris Smoky Blue (Euchrysops Osiris) is a larger than average ‘blue’ and can sometimes be seen flitting about grassy areas and occasionally puddling at damp sunny spots. Another possibility to find it is up near the top of mountains, either hill topping or flitting around its foodplants – Vigna spp. The small hairtails and two orange lunules on the hind wing differentiate it from its close allies.
Euchrysops osiris - osiris smokey blue (2).JPG
Euchrysops osiris - Osiris Smoky Blue
Euchrysops osiris Osiris Smoky Blue (2).JPG
Euchrysops osiris - Osiris Smoky Blue
Euchrysops osiris osiris smoky blue minus tails.JPG
Euchrysops osiris - Osiris Smoky Blue missing tails

Next comes the Common Smoky blue (Euchysops malathana) which is slightly more common here than the Osiris Smoky blue, and similar looking but lacks the tails which is a quick giveaway to its identity. Also known as the Grey Smoky Blue due to male and females having grey upper sides this butterfly may also be found at mud or also on various flowers.
Euchrysops malathana common smoky blue (2).JPG
Euchrysops malathana - Common smoky blue
Euchrysops malathana Common smoky blue.JPG
Euchrysops malathana common smoky blue1.JPG

The Ashen Smoky blue is very elusive here and I’ve only seen one individual back in November 2022. Possibly this is because its single brooded or maybe others just evaded my eyes but I hope to learn more about it early next season.
Euchrysops subpallida Ashen smoky blue(3).JPG
Euchrysops subpallida - Ashen smoky blue
Euchrysops subpallida Ashen smoky blue.JPG
Euchrysops subpallida - Ashen smoky blue
The last three species of lycaenids to mention are three more Hairtails or ciliate blues similar to the Common and Black Striped Hairtail I covered a few posts previously. These are also difficult butterflies to identify accurately without excellent images and even then some of the females are almost impossible to differentiate from each other.

The Pale hairtail or Pale ciliate blue (Anthene livida livida) whose larvae feed on succulents such as Kalanchoe and Cotelydon spp. is widespread in the eastern portion of South Africa. Males may be found hill topping whereas the females will often be lower down the slopes feeding on flowers and most of the sightings here have been from the vegetable patch where these butterflies often visit for nectaring.
Anthene livida livida pale hairtail or ciliate blue.JPG
Anthene livida livida -Pale hairtail
Anthene livida livida pale hairtail or ciliate blue (3).JPG
Anthene livida livida - Pale hairtail

The Lebombo Hairtail (Anthene princeps) is very similar to the Pale Hairtail but an extra dark patch on costal margin of the underside of the hindwing gives it away. More common here than the previous species it can often be found mud puddling. Upon being disturbed it will fly rapidly to a close perch or possibly vanish at high speed over the trees. This rapid flight, does however aid in separating the hairtails from other similar sized lycaenids when in the field and so can help to pinpoint them in a mass of butterflies.
Anthene princeps Cupreous Hairtail (2).JPG
Anthene princeps - Cupreous Hairtail
Anthene princeps princeps Cupreous hairtail outside back door 1.JPG
Anthene princeps - Cupreous Hairtail
Last edited by Charaxes on Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

The last Hairtail I’ve seen seems to be the Mashuna Hairtail ( Anthene dulcis dulcis) but without more upperside shots of the male I can’t be complete sure. The female of this butterfly is apparently is almost impossible to distinguish from females of A. otacilia otacilia and A. talboti which could also occur here. The specimens I saw were nectaring on flowers so were easy to photograph but if not seen in this situation they are usually zipping around the tree tops and almost impossible to see well. Definitely more research needed on these species.
Anthene dulcis dulcis Mashuna hairtail.JPG
Anthene dulcis dulcis - Mashuna hairtail
Anthene dulcis dulcis Mashuna hairtail or ciliate blue (4).JPG
Anthene dulcis dulcis Mashuna hairtail or ciliate blue (3).JPG

While writing this post I took a short tea break and visited the vegetable patch and was very pleased to see a new species of butterfly not seen before here on the farm The Brown pansy - Junonia natalica natalica. I'm always amazed how even a quick glimpse of an 'unknown' butterfly can give it away as a different species but I guess that comes after a long time of observing butterflies. Luckily the Pansy decided to pose for a photo before continuing on it's journey because like the clouded mother of pearls this species is generally found far to the east of here and maybe the good conditions allowed it to venture out of it's usual haunts.
Junonia natalica natalica Brown pansy.JPG
Junonia natalica natalica - Brown pansy

All the best and happy butterfly spotting, Scott
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A fabulous account of the butterflies on your farm and surrounding area Scott...... but where's the photo of the monkey? :) Assume you're on your way back soon so will be in touch.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi Pauline,
Not long left here! Going to be a sad day to leave. Finally, yesterday, I found some Charaxes eggs of the pearl spotted Charaxes but unfortunately no time to keep hold of them!
No photos of the monkey I'm afraid! He legged it too fast when he saw me looking at him!
IMG-20230504-WA0018.jpg
However, here's a picture of two very cute 'well' behaved monkeys!
Scott
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hello everyone,

I’m going to continue with the butterflies found here on the farm with members of Nymphalidae family, starting with a very common, and striking orange butterfly, the African Leopard (Phalanta phalantha aethiopica). Fast flying and rarely sitting completely still, it can be recognised by its bright orange colour and its habit of, while sitting, continuously wavering its wings. Only early morning will it be found completely still while soaking up warmth from the morning sun. The African Leopard prefers well wooded areas and is most at home in the base of valleys but will also venture out to flatter savannah like areas to search for wet mud and flowers to feed upon.
phalanta phalantha aethiopica African or common leopard.JPG
Phalanta phalantha aethiopica - African leopard
phalanta phalantha aethiopica African or common leopard (2).JPG
Phalanta phalantha aethiopica - African leopard
Phalanta phalantha aethiopica poplar leopard (9).JPG
Phalanta phalantha aethiopica - African leopard - mating pair

The next two species, African Joker and Spotted Joker superficially resemble the African leopard because of their base colour of orange but can easily be distinguished by their differing flight patterns.
Byblia ilithyia spotted joker.JPG
Byblia ilithyia - Spotted Joker

The Spotted Joker (Byblia ilithyia) is by far the more common Byblia species in the area and can be found virtually anywhere in the area and will always be guaranteed to greet the butterfly spotter who’s out for a walk . Often seen mud puddling, it’s a species that’s a feature throughout the year but peaks, like a lot of the butterfly species, towards the autumn. A line of black spots on the upper side of the hindwing differentiates it from the next species – African Joker. I was lucky enough this season to see a couple of fine looking aberrations of the spotted joker and managed to photograph one, while the other had different ideas, and took off after a short chase, over the trees.
Byblia ilithyia female spotted joker.JPG
Byblia ilithyia - Spotted Joker female
Byblia ilithyia spotted joker (2).JPG
Byblia ilithyia spotted joker (3).JPG
Byblia ilithyia spotted joker (6).JPG
Byblia ilithyia spotted joker mating pair (2).JPG
Byblia ilithyia - Spotted Joker mating pair
Byblia ilithyia spotted joker abberation.JPG
Byblia ilithyia - Spotted Joker aberration

The African joker (Byblia anvatara acheloia) is far from common on the farm and one has to keep a keen eye to spot it amongst the large numbers of spotted jokers. It’s another striking orange and black butterfly, which to me appears to have a slightly more delicate construction and demeanour to the previous species. In flight, once one is familiar with the two species, it is possible to differentiate the two because of the more gentle flight of the African Joker compared to the faster and more confident flight of the spotted joker.
Byblia anvatara acheloia African joker1.JPG
Byblia anvatara acheloia African Joker
Byblia anvatara acheloia African joker.JPG
Byblia anvatara acheloia African Joker

Both jokers have wet and dry season forms, of which differences can be seen most prominently on the undersides, where creamier wet season colours are transformed to darker chestnut browns in the dry season forms. These darker colours afford better camouflage for the butterflies while at rest in winter bushveld landscape which becomes a rich mix of browns during the drier months.
Byblia ilithyia.JPG
Byblia ilithyia - Spotted Joker undersides - dry season form
IMG_2300.JPG
Byblia ilithyia - Spotted Joker and African Joker -Byblia anvatara acheloia mud puddling with various other species of butterfly.

The Guineafowl (Hamanumida daedalus) is perhaps the most ubiquitous of butterflies found in the bushveld. Middle to late winter when the bush is dry, dusty and brown and not much is seen to be flying, the Guineafowl will be out patrolling its usual spots. Fond of open ‘routes’ it will always be seen along the dirt roads and other such open areas such as rocky ridges running up the mountains. Its stronghold, though, is down on the flats where its food plants silver cluster leaf and velvet bush willow are found in greater numbers. Very fond of heavily grassed areas, hundreds of this butterfly can be seen at the right spots at the right times of the year flying with their characteristic fast and gliding flight. Grey with pure white spots, a fresh Guineafowl is a very striking butterfly but because of its lack of bright colours is often not appreciated as much as some of the more colourful species.
Hamanumida daedalus guineafowl.JPG
Hamanumida daedalus - Guineafowl
Hamanumida daedalus Guineafowl (7).JPG
Hamanumida daedalus - Guineafowl - dsf
Hamanumida daedalus guineafowl (9).JPG
Hamanumida daedelus guineafowl (2).JPG
Hamanumida daedalus - Guineafowl mating pair
Hamanumida daedulus guinefowl 3.JPG

It’s a very tough and spirited butterfly which will continue to fly until it’s almost unrecognisable to the observer who isn’t very familiar with the species. Wings will have lost all their colour and be shredded to pieces but the Guineafowl will continue onwards, even if it has to walk. Interestingly it’s the only butterfly species I’ve seen copulating with another species, in this case the African Plain Tiger/African Monarch (Danaus chrysippus). It appeared that the Guineafowl was the instigator of the incident, for the Monarch seemed intent on escape. But as much as the monarch struggled, it was of no use because the Guineafowl pinned it down mercilessly. For a period of the episode the Guineafowl even held the Monarch under water, beside which they had both previously been mudpuddling!

IMG_1361.JPG
Hamanumida daedalus Guineafowl mating with Danaus chrisippus African Plain tiger
IMG_1362.JPG
Hamanumida daedalus Guineafowl mating with Danaus chrisippus African Plain tiger moment before a dunking.

I recently saw another interesting bit of behaviour of the Guineafowl. Three were copulating together and after a few minutes a fourth tried to get in on the act. Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out how many males or females were involved because of the constant movement but suspect it was one female pursued by a number of males. The three butterflies were solidly connected for three or four minutes but then broke apart when the fourth joined the excitement.
Hamanumida daedalus guineafowl x3.JPG
Hamanumida daedalus Guineafowl x3

This brings me on to another common Nymphalid found on the farm, the African Plain Tiger or African Monarch (Danaus chrysippus aegyptius) which is found throughout Africa, up into southern Europe and eastwards through India and into Southeast Asia. Although it is so common and widely spread, I still get a thrill every time I see this species for I know the sight is shared by so many people around the world. It’s a variable butterfly with four common forms, with some specimens infused with white and some missing the heavy black colouration on the forewings. Unfortunately because of its familiarity I’ve neglected to photograph this species as much as I could have. Numbers flying are low in the early season but gradually increase and reach a peak in the autumn, at which time many brightly coloured fresh specimens can be seen sailing about with their characteristic flight. Often found mud puddling but also fond of flowers and can be found in numbers on the flowers of Lippia javanica which grows on the flat grassy areas of the farm.
Danaus chrysippus aegyptius african monarch (2).JPG
Danaus chrysippus aegyptius - African Plain Tiger or African Monarch
Danaus chrysippus aegyptius african monarch.JPG
Danaus chrysippus aegyptius - African Plain Tiger or African Monarch

The Common Diadem (Hypolimnas misippus) is a mimic of the previous species, the African Monarch, but interestingly only the female Diadem resembles the Monarch. The male Diadem, to the uninitiated appears to be a completely different species. His wings, instead of being coloured orange are in fact black, shining blue at the correct angle, and with three distinct white round patches on either side. Compared to the Monarch the Diadem is sturdily built and a powerful flyer and this easily distinguishes it from its model, the Monarch, once one’s eye is trained. Like the Monarch the female diadem is very variable, with varying amounts of black and white markings on the forewings and with the usual orange base colour often suffused with white,particularly on the hind wings. Both the male and female Diadem will be found sucking at wet mud and this is perhaps the best situation to photograph them. Disturbed easily it can take some patience but once the right situation is found either will sit awhile, provided a stealthy approach is made.
Hypolimnas misippus common diadem female.JPG
Hypolimnas misippus - Common Diadem female f. inaria
Hypolimnas misippus diadem female.JPG
Hypolimnas misippus - Common Diadem female f. misippus
Hypolimnas misippus diadem male (2).JPG
Hypolimnas misippus - Common Diadem male
Hypolimnas misippus diadem.JPG
Hypolimnas misippus - Common Diadem male
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Nymphalidae continued..

The Yellow Pansy (Junonia hierta cebrene) is another ubiquitous bushveld butterfly and can always be relied upon to pop up in most places on the farm, apart from the very heavily wooded and shady kloofs (valley bottoms). Settling in sunny spots and easily disturbed, Yellow Pansies will soon settle in a new spot, only to fly again when the spotter approaches. Male and females are similar in appearance and both will often be seen mud puddling.
Junonia hierta cebrene male yellow pansy (3).JPG
Junonia hierta cebrene - Yellow Pansy male
Junonia hierta cebrene male yellow pansy.JPG
Junonia hierta cebrene - Yellow Pansy male
Junonia hierta cebrene and leptotes pirithous.JPG
Junonia hierta cebrene - Yellow Pansy underside female

The Dark Blue Pansy (Junonia oenone oenone) is never far away from where the yellow pansy is found and both species will usually be encountered on hilltops. The Dark Blue Pansy will rigorously defend his chosen territory on the hilltop and can often be seen chasing much larger butterflies than himself, such as various Charaxes species. Another avid mud puddler. I’ve also noticed this butterfly has a particularly soft spot for fresh zebra dung.
Junonia oenone blue pansy (2).jpg
Junonia oenone oenone - Dark Blue Pansy - zebra dung
Junonia oenone blue pansy (3).JPG
Junonia oenone oenone - Dark Blue Pansy female
Junonia oenone blue pansy .JPG
Junonia oenone oenone - Dark Blue Pansy female

The African Blue Pansy (Junonia orithya madagascariensis) formerly known as the Eyed Pansy is a beautiful but rare sight on the farm. I only see a few each season but each sighting is a treat because the colouring of this butterfly is truly spectacular. This year one stopped by my vegetable patch for half a day and at least I managed to get a half decent photo. More at home in the grassy Highveld around Johannesburg a few of this species must wander each season and end up on the farm.
Junonia orithya madagascariensis - eyed pansy.JPG
Junonia orithya madagascariensis - African Blue Pansy

The Brown Pansy (Junonia natalica natalica) until this season hadn’t been sighted on the farm but during late May I saw two individuals, both of which stopped to suck at some damp earth, one in the vegetable patch and the other just outside the garden at a leak in the water pipe. It’s a butterfly which is usually found far to the east, so these I saw must have been adventurous travellers striking out of their usual grounds. Like the other Junonias Brown Pansies fly fast, settle often and then pose with their wings open. But disturb them sufficiently and they will vanish in an instant, often never to be seen again. I look forward to seeing if more of this magnificent butterfly turns up in the coming years.
Junonia natalica natalica Brown pansy.JPG
Junonia natalica natalica - Brown Pansy
TBC. Regards, Scott
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am lost for words Scott - enchanted and enthralled. I couldn't even have imagined that such butterflies existed. I think you are right about needing to spend more time studying them but you have done a fine job so far. I particularly like the Guineafowl and the Yellow Pansy. I am not sure how you still manage to get excited by some of the butterflies over here.
David M

Post by David M »

Another fantastic array of exotic butterflies, Scott. The guineafowl is humorously (and aptly) named. :)
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Thanks for your comments Pauline and David. Glad you enjoyed the recent post.

Pauline, I still get excited about the butterflies here - for instance the silver studded blues I've seen over the last few days are stunning little insects and every year when I see them a savour the moments spent with them.

I think here in UK the familiarity with the species may in time reduce the overall excitement factor - like with a lot of things and life in general.
What I struggle with and find disappointing in the UK is the lack of overall butterfly numbers and biodiversity in general. And having witnessed this drop over my lifetime is truly sad. It seems things are slowly changing in the right direction though, and I hope this positive movement gathers pace in the coming years.
Regards, Scott
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes, Britain is very poor in terms of biodiversity, even compared with the rest of Europe, never mind Africa.

We should live in harmony with our world, and with nature, but we just don’t do it.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

:shock: 8) I bumped into a mate of yours today whilst looking for Black Haistreaks so, with sick bucket to hand (ready for all the envy) I dove in. ‘Wow’ doesn’t even begin to cover it. Some of those species had me reaching for the aforementioned bucket :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Some of them just don’t seem real! I can’t get over the Bush Scarlet in particular :shock: 8) Brilliant :D
Have a goodun
Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”