IacobnDG

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
IacobnDG

Re: IacobnDG

Post by IacobnDG »

DSC_0805_edit.jpg
In the field today and it's almost solid Yellow Rattle. First Common Blue, Small White, Common Blue Damselfly, also Small Copper and Stonechats.
DSC_0833_edit.jpg
DSC_0832_edit.jpg
DSC_0801_edit.jpg
DSC_0744_edit.jpg
DSC_0753_edit.jpg
DSC_0842_edit.jpg
I also saw the Common Blue nectaring from bush vetch which I haven't seen before.
DSC_0823_edit.jpg
DSC_0769_edit.jpg
- Jake
IacobnDG

Post by IacobnDG »

I visited Trumpington Meadows last week, a great site for Small Blues in Cambridge and conveniently within cycling distance of college. We found around 20 adults and lots of eggs on the kidney vetch.
blue.jpg
blue on hand.jpg
I thought it was interesting how the adults live in a very different habitat to where their eggs are laid. Many of the adults spent their time in the long grass or even scrub, while some stayed on large patches of Lesser Bird's-Foot Trefoil to nectar. The eggs were laid nearby on Kidney Vetch which was in much more open patches of ground, and we saw no adults near it so they must only go there to lay.
egg.jpg
egg2.jpg
It was also nice to see Small Heaths and the English subspecies of Orange Tip, where the female has white hindwings which I had not seen before.
heath.jpg
orange tip.jpg
This is a lovely landscape and has quite rich grassland which I am told was created recently. I saw grass vetchling which was another first for me.
landscape.jpg
vetchling.jpg
- Jake
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Jake :D Interesting point that you made about the Orange-tip - I'd forgotten the differences between the two subspecies to your post prompted me to have a catch-up :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely image of the Small Blue on your hand, Jake.

Well done for getting that shot of the ovum too. :mrgreen:
IacobnDG

Post by IacobnDG »

It was surprisingly easy to find ova - every flowerhead that was well-developed enough had at least 1!
- Jake

Return to “Personal Diaries”