sonomoha

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
sonomoha

Re: sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

April 27 - Palermo, Italy

Finally took my Easter break to Sicily. It's been a great week with friend and birdwatching. As for butterflies, I am leaving the island quite disappointed.
Even though, there were quite a lot of Pieris, I did not make it to photograph one.
In the week-end, we happened with an excellent spot where to see Colias croceus in very large colonies (Santo Pietro, south of Caltagirone) and the plan is to come back here more prepared to explore more.
I primarily came to Sicily for the Swallow tail but it was quite late (?) already, the other one I looked around for was the Melitaea Didyma but nowhere to be seen. Lots of moths is rather worth to mention.
moth.jpg

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
I can't name many of them but it relaxes me to take photos of butterflies and moths :lol: :lol:
Please drop me an email for photo walks. Here are my online galleries: FlickR ; Instagram ; 500px
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking close up of the Specklie sonohoma, the Brimstones in the summer are a lot more laid back and easier to approach :D Interesting looking moth as well.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

That moth looks like a Four-spotted Tyta luctuosa, a rarity in the UK :)

sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

Philzoid wrote:That moth looks like a Four-spotted Tyta luctuosa, a rarity in the UK :)
Hello,
this moth was seen in south of Sicily, in the same little private field as some other colourful moths I was not able to make a photo of. I hope to bring back more stuff to share on the abroad forums :D
cheers

I can't name many of them but it relaxes me to take photos of butterflies and moths :lol: :lol:
Please drop me an email for photo walks. Here are my online galleries: FlickR ; Instagram ; 500px
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

Wurzel wrote:Cracking close up of the Specklie sonohoma, the Brimstones in the summer are a lot more laid back and easier to approach :D Interesting looking moth as well.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Hello Wurzel,
this was my first time shooting a speckled wood properly, most of time i find them active really early. this one was just laid back and seemed not to have much business to attend to. as for the moth, it is the closest thing to a butterfly I actually approached during my stay in Sicily recently and it flew away after some speedily shaking to dry off the dew. well done moth :lol: :lol:

The brimstones... I think I will pass on those since they are nowhere around in Stockwood where they should be in numbers. I hope to have some tips from Bristol area fellows since I am still very new to butterfly watch. I could use some help :lol: :lol:

David M

Post by David M »

Philzoid wrote:That moth looks like a Four-spotted Tyta luctuosa, a rarity in the UK :)
I've certainly never seen that species before. Good find, sonomoha.

sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

David M wrote: I've certainly never seen that species before. Good find, sonomoha.
Hello David,
mind you, this one i had to go to Sicily to see it. It was in an area full of Colias butterfly. The place is called Bosco di Santo Pietro in the province of Catania. It takes a journey to get there from Bristol :lol: :lol: :lol: I am really happy you folks liked it.

Cheers.

sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

May 3rd 2017 - Eastwood
The temperatures have been generally low for a week now. Not much in field as for butterflies.
I feel sorry for this butterfly diary which has not much so far. Among today's findind on top entrance of the reserve, a roosting bumble bee. A massive one that I did not dare disturb for obvious reasons :lol:
There was also one shield bug around, so I got the camera out to try and get used to my new lens that I hope to put to master as season comes up :D
eurydema oleracea
eurydema oleracea
cheers!

sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

May 10th 2017 - Stockwood
after a while going round on private farm land off the road, i get to see what seems like a small copper.
the day before, one corner of the field was full of white/greenish butterflies. could not ID since they never settled and they were too tiny to be brimstones.

May 11th
Back in stockwood to make some some photograph if any encounter on path. I found two small coppers but both left themselves fall into the grass with their dew. Also got to see a Green-veined white, but same old: jumped down the grass :lol: :lol:
A later walk in Eastwood Farm I saw the following: Holly Blue x3, SW and OT by large numbers still... and finally two large green butterflies flew by: I guess these were Brimstones in a hurry.
In Arno's Vale Cemetery: an early small skipper flying very low, two holly blue with the usual odd flying pattern, three worn small tortoiseshell, Orange Tips and Speckled woods in numbers.
The biggest surprise of the day was the damselfly and the giant moths in Eastwood park though (what I actually got to approach.
Attachments
small coppper
small coppper
Last edited by sonomoha on Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

Took me one year to repost here.
Spring is here, butterflies will be soon. In the last four weeks, seen from the window: holly blue, speckled wood, small white, orange tip. All very occasionally and some will certainly be flying in better number soon :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

and another year and here here. Just some orange tips flying around in Broomhill (bs4) by river Avon. Glad I got to catch few on camera. I did not see many in 2018, or was too busy with work at their usual flight time.
shot on Monday 2018-05-06
orangetip.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to hear from you again Sonomoha :D Lovely Orange-tip on a very sculptural perch :D

Have a goodun
Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see you're still getting out and about, sonomoha.

Love the Orange Tip image, although I can't work out what it's perched on. :?
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

David M wrote:Good to see you're still getting out and about, sonomoha.
Love the Orange Tip image, although I can't work out what it's perched on. :?
Wurzel wrote:Good to hear from you again Sonomoha :D Lovely Orange-tip on a very sculptural perch :D
Have a goodun
Wurzel
Hello David, hello Wurzel,
Thank you for your feedback. I had a question on that orange tip. The antenna tips appeared to be tainted in blue. Is that normal ?

He is perched on a sort of vine I collected those in some remote place, the Agdz oasis palm grove, few years ago.
To avoid cutting live flowers and food plant, a senior suggested me to use vine and mature poppy. It appears some species don't mind hoping on when you get the vine closer :lol:
common_blue.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

sonomoha wrote:I had a question on that orange tip. The antenna tips appeared to be tainted in blue. Is that normal ?
They're very fond of nectaring on bluebells. Could some of the colour have transferred to the antennal tips?
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

David M wrote: They're very fond of nectaring on bluebells. Could some of the colour have transferred to the antennal tips?
Could be. Thank you. I would never have thought about that, no even remotely :lol:
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

Finally went to see the family in Italy for some quality time last week.
A longtime friend booked a day off to take me to Parco Valle del Treja, half-an-hour drive north of Rome. A Magnificent place for dragonflies and damselflies. It is also a great place for butterflies, no less than a dozen species in and out the grass in a 30 square-metres corner, including moths, skippers and larger butterflies (First time seeing a grizzled skipper and did not manager to photograph it because getting closer to grass would have just worsen my allergies :lol: :lol: ). I certainly hope to have the opportunity to visit this area in the future. Few images attached. Thanks to admin Guy for help with ID :D
Small copper, abb. Lycaena phlaeas f. caerulopunctata
silver-studded blue Plebejus argus
idme.png
Last edited by sonomoha on Mon May 27, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

After a short visit to Rome, we are now back in lovely Bristol.
This spring is already being like no other for some reason: I broke my main camera on the last night in Rome (happened last summer too) and it is still Ramadan. So I guess it is very tough to go out there while starving and without a camera :lol: :lol:
Anyway, during a walk this Saturday (May 25), I saw my first british blues: many common blues, a brown and a small copper. This was in Victory Park (bs4), tiny green area by where I live. The place is usually full of 6-spot burnet moth in right time, but it is also good for the common blue. Brown argus and small copper seem very discrete in numbers though. Photo attached, although no brown argus when I went back Sunday morning :?
Attachments
small copper _ common blue.png
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with the fasting and butterflying :D That was a great tip passed on from the senior, something I'm going to consider - just need to find my 'stick' now :D What other species did you get to see in Italy?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

sonomoha wrote:...I broke my main camera on the last night in Rome (happened last summer too) and it is still Ramadan. So I guess it is very tough to go out there while starving and without a camera..
Lol! Yes, it must be that much harder when it falls near midsummer! How did you get those two butterflies on your hand?

Return to “Personal Diaries”