Pretty Butterflies Diary

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Pretty Butterflies Diary

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Emma, I can't be left out of the welcoming gang :lol: All the best Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Greenies and Holly blue Emma :D A belated welcome from me, but better late than never.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
prettybutterfly

Post by prettybutterfly »

On 21st May, me and my family went to Holywells Park, Ipswich to look for butterflies and we walked into a whirlwind of different species.I saw female Orange Tips and males too,also I saw Holly Blues females and males. Amazingly I saw a Brimstone but it wouldn't stop and land, we managed to see a female Orange Tip lay an egg.

What a stunning day, here are the pictures.
orange tip egg at Holywells Park.JPG
Holywells Park 21.5.16 (13).JPG
Holywells Park 21.5.16 (11).JPG
Holywells Park 21.5.16 (9).JPG
From Emma

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I will jump in with advice before others do so.

With white and pale butterflies (eg Holly Blue) it is beneficial to under-expose by at least 1 EF (1 stop) to avoid washing out the pale colours. I routinely set -1.3 EF and that - combined with bracketting - usually ensure a decent result from at least one of the photos.

Jack.

prettybutterfly

The first Orange Tip caterpillar has hatched on the Garlic Mustard in our garden - how exciting.
1st instar Orange Tip - garden.JPG
1st instar Orange Tip - garden (1).JPG
I also saw a Female Orange Tip visiting us once more.
female Orange Tip - garden.JPG
On our Pyracantha, we have also found some Holly Blue eggs and Brown tailed Moth caterpillars.
HB Egg - Garden 17.5.16.JPG
Brown Tail Moth on Pyracantha - garden.JPG
Hope you like them.

From Emma

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely Photos and great shots of those hatchling Orange-tips. You probably are well aware but be careful of those Brown-tail cats, their hairs can give you a very nasty rash.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Those macro shots are very good indeed.

Yes, endorse the earning about Brown-tailed moth.

Jack

prettybutterfly

Hi,

I was walking with my Mum and Dad in Belstead Meadows where I saw 25 butterflies. I saw Peacocks, Male Orange Tip, Commas, unidentified white, Holly Blue, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood and a Brimstone.
it was great to see so many species in the first walk of the year.
IMG_1702.JPG

From Emma
Attachments
IMG_1702.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

That's a very good species tally for the very beginning of April!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As Mike says that is a great haul for a single trip out at this time of year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Yes, an excellent return for a first outing. I still haven’t seen Orange Tips yet myself, but hopefully that will change over the next few days.

Return to “Personal Diaries”