Black Images

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Black Images

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I reformatted the memory card tonight that I use the most and one other and tried that, to no avail. There does also seem some slowness in the mechanism now.

If it is possible for an inanimate yet precision engineered object to look forlorn, my 10D does.

Onwards and upwards.

Thanks again all,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Check the little slider on the side. You may inadvertently moved it into the locked (down) position.

Jack
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I don't believe compact flash cards, which the 10d takes, have that facility. I have seen this on smaller format cards though.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pete Eeles wrote:Hi Lee - the EXIF data looks fine to me (thx for the files!).
Since Pete has shown that the EXIF data was recorded correctly on the files on the memory card, I do not believe that the Card is at fault in this case.

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Try this.

Put card into the reader on the computer (I presume your computer has one). Try to copy any old image from the computer to the card. If that works, then the card is probably OK so you would [most likely] have eliminated one possible cause of the problem. Then you would have to investigate the camera itself for the reason.

If you don't have a card reader, then you might (not sure) be able to copy an image direct to the camera via your normal link.

Jack
JKT

Post by JKT »

If you have to get a new camera, remember to check the sizes and interface. You are used to the 10D and all the other #0D models are similar (well, I'm not quite sure about the 70D). All the #00D models are much smaller and have only one control wheel. Personally I don't like their interface at all.

In your case even a used 20D would be an improvement as there was quite a difference in noise IIRC.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks again all.

FISHiEE is right, the CF cards do not have that facility.

JKT, I had noticed that! What I think will be the biggest thing to get used to is the weight, or lack of it. The more recent models I have played with are so much lighter.

Best wishes,

Lee
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

JKT makes a good point. As great as the smaller models are, whenever I've used one, I felt lost without the second wheel, and LED display. No doubt it wouldn't take long to get used to it. But I personally prefer the chunkier 70D, 7D, 5D's etc.

Regards Gruditch
Trik

Post by Trik »

Re your 10D, could all the actuations have been used up? It has been around for a long time, after all, but I don`t what the signs are that this has happened...

Trik
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks Trik, it could be...but no matter now. Long gone for parts on ebay :D

I'm really enjoying my results with a mobile at present: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3984&start=680 but will get a new DSLR in due course.

Thanks again,

Lee

Return to “Photography”