Paul

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul

Re: Paul

Post by Paul »

Dull day.... another GVW..

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Paul

That’s an excellent photo with superb resolution. But how do you post so that it appears that size? If I try to post a picture, it is reduced to circa 500 pixels wide (that’s no big deal) but more to the point, the resolution looks dreadful. Even if I upload at 500 pixels, it still looks has poor resolution even though not resized. Because of that, I added a note on my blog to the effect that to in order to see a picture with decent resolution, it is necessary to click on that image. But you seem to have overcome that difficulty. How?

Jack

Diary entries for 2010 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You upload pictures, Jack, while Paul links to images already on the net using the Img tag.

I do the same, but always at lower resolution, because I store my web images smaller (I have many thousands on the web, at my own expense!).

Since you have your own website, you could do likewise if you wished. You should limit pictures to 800 pixels across, though, as otherwise they will be cropped on many browsers.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...while Paul links to images already on the net using the Img tag
I know how to link to a picture on my own website but don't understand this Img tag that makes it appear on ukb.

Jack

Zonda

Post by Zonda »

That's the best GVW shot i've seen this year. Tripod and tubes, i bet. :wink:

Cheers,,, Zonda.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I've sent you instructions for embedding pictures via PM, Jack.

GUy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi all,
Jack, I use photobucket to host my photos, uploading them there with one dimension at 800px, then copying & pasting the available img code, as Guy says. no tubes, bellows or tripods, just a trusty FZ50 and a steady hand!! - must do it properly one day :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks Guy and Paul. Here's my test:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4056&p=32302#p32302

Jack

Paul

Post by Paul »

Looking very good Jack :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks Paul and Guy. I have now registered with Photobucket and am much happier with the way pictures appear on ukb. You can see my Photobucket uploads in my diary.

I had discussed with Pete in the past the fact that direct uploads to ukb never seems to do justice to the pictures. Pete is aware of this but is apparently something to do with the resizing algorithm over which he has little control.

Incidentally Paul, you’d love the Lumix FZ38 successor to the FZ50. Much lighter weight and 12 mp (for constructive cropping, etc). Neil Hulme and I – to name but two – are FZ38 enthusiasts. Costs about £240.

Jack

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Jack Harrison wrote:I had discussed with Pete in the past the fact that direct uploads to ukb never seems to do justice to the pictures. Pete is aware of this but is apparently something to do with the resizing algorithm over which he has little control.
The trick is to resize your images to 800 x 800 before uploading, rather than letting the UKB mechanism do it for you :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

OK, here goes (I take it Pete that you mean 800 wide or 800 high rather than a square picture). The ones on Photobucket were in fact 800s so I’ll repeat here using ukb direct upload rather than Photobucket.

Now, that 800 x 600 has been resized to something like 500 x 375 but has lost its bite and looks far less clear until I click on the image and see it full size
PB-10-05-13-108-GrizzledSkipper.jpg
That is why perhaps many good pictures taken by others are dismissed as being – well, “iffy”. It’s a bit of a fag to click on every photo to see just how good it really is.

Jack

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Jack - I've replied here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4111&p=32317#p32317

to get this discussion out of Paul's personal diary!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul

Post by Paul »

OK.... back to my diary :lol: ..... pilgrimage to PBF country today, with the following results... :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Superb pictures Paul – and taken with a much derided Box Brownie. Morecambe Bay area I presume?

You just can’t beat decent image quality of a larger photo. After today’s discussions, I will be uploading my pictures from a third party such as PhotoBucket. It is perfectly easy to compress 800 pixel images to around 100 kb with no noticeable loss of quality, so even those unfortunates with miserable internet speeds shouldn’t suffer too much.

Jack

Paul

Post by Paul »

actually a much more sensitive site in Yorkshire.... tiny and fragile, so very secret!! and thereby hangs another can of moral worms!!! :? Yep, Box Brownie hanging on in there well presently :D .... must have a look at the other FZ you mentioned, but I really want to join the Canonista :roll:

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Paul wrote:
actually a much more sensitive site in Yorkshire.... tiny and fragile, so very secret!!
Ah you must mean that place near.........

Jack

Paul

Post by Paul »

Near to that place called oblivion :(

Paul

Post by Paul »

Saw a Comma in the garden today, otherwise just OTs & GVWs..... this visitor dropped in overnight ( National Moth Night)...

Paul

Post by Paul »

Best day of the year for weather so far.... and I wasn't at work :D - annual homage to the Duke today, and lost count of numbers, magic to see a colony thriving when they are so threatened... hope it long continues. I find them difficult to photograph, somehow my poor camera finds it hard to auto-focus well on dark wings, today's heat didn't help, boy they were fidgety! These were some of my best -

Return to “Personal Diaries”