Pyrenees May/June 22

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Roger Gibbons

Re: Pyrenees May/June 22

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I agree that foulquieri could be an option, but I say that in the sense of not ruling it out rather than thinking that it is.

The forewing markings are quite jagged, yes, usually an indication of foulquieri, but not exclusively. One problem is that serratulae is very widespread and very variable, perhaps more so than any other Pyrgus. I have images of serratulae that have quite jagged marks, reinforced by the underside that says serratulae 100%.

I agree that the discal s4/5 mark is a little pinched, but quite within the limits for serratulae. I only label serratulae as such if I have an underside view or image to confirm, else labelled as possible/probable and I outline my reasoning by a description of each image.

The two elements of this image that steer me away from foulquieri is that the male uph is nearly always marked at least to some degree, and this one isn’t, which would be very unusual. Also, the unh discal s1 mark is – in all the foulquieri I have seen – very large indeed, much more so than any other Pyrgus, and this feature seems constant.

Like many Pyrgus ID questions, it is a matter of weighing the evidence. If there is no evidence to point in one direction rather than another, the casting vote maybe goes to the common and ubiquitous species rather than the rarer one. The location and date might be relevant here – my experience is that foulquieri is a later season species.

Good to have this discussion on UK Butterflies. Thanks, Pete, it wouldn’t be possible without your brilliant web site.
Roger
dragnil

Re: Pyrenees May/June 22

Post by dragnil »

"Good to have this discussion on UK Butterflies. Thanks, Pete, it wouldn’t be possible without your brilliant web site."
Seconded, as a bird watcher first, but all round naturalist as well, I come here frequently for friendly help which is truly appreciated.
Thanks again,
David

Return to “Identification”