Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Katrina

Post by trevor »

Your Dingy shot is the pick of the bunch! I found my first 2024 Dingy yesterday.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Trevor, I was pleased with it. I think it is the little flowers of the Salad Burnet that makes it.
David M

Re: Bonus crop

Post by David M »

Katrina wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:39 pmBonus photo cropped
Lovely image, Katrina. They are so well camouflaged when they wrap themselves round the flowerhead like that.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks David. There were 2 near each other.
Katrina

Lovely Lady May

Post by Katrina »

Today I had arranged to meet my sister and go to Hutchinson's Bank. We met at East Croydon Station and took the tram and had a memorable day out.
We saw Glanville Fritillaries , Marsh Fritillaries, Duke of Burgundy, Small Blues (numerous and egg laying), Green Hairstreak (numerous but mainly faded), Common Blues (including mating pair), Holly Blues (numerous) , Brown Argus, Small Copper, Dingy Skippers, one Large Skipper, Red Admiral , Peacock , Small Heaths , Speckled Wood, Orange -tip and egg, Large White, Brimstones (numerous) and on the path back to the tram Commas
19 species in total .
I did miss out on a bee hawkmoth my sister saw . She called me over but it had gone but the time I got there but I really cant complain as wasn't expecting to see so many species and seeing the Marshies may have saved me a trip further afield. Also my first Glanvilles and Marsh Fritiillaries for a few years and first Brown Argus , Small Blue and Large Skipper of the year
It was also a pleasure to meet so many happy butterfly enthusiasts and thanks to the gentleman who pointed us in the direction of the first Marsh Fritillary.
Attachments
Glanville Fritillary.jpeg
Glanvilled Fritilalry side.jpeg
Glanville Fritillary Front on.jpeg
DSC04724.jpeg
DSC04857.jpeg
Marsh Fritillary Side.jpeg
Brown argus.jpeg
Small Blue Egg Laying.jpeg
Small Blue Hutchinsons Bank.jpeg
Pink Green Hairstreak.jpeg
Peacock in Plant.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sounds like an exceptional day, Katrina - I especially like your first Glanville shot, plus that Peacock comfortably sat at the end. :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

A busy day indeed! enough to cause mental indigestion with that lot.
A :mrgreen: for both Glanville shots, and the relaxing Peacock,
plus the novelty of travelling by tram to a butterfly site.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Dave, was exceptional and good to spend it with my super spotter sister.

Thanks Trevor,
I don’t know why I like the Peacock shot but I just do.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely photos and a nice selection of species from Hutchinson's Bank, Katrina :) somewhere I've yet to visit.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Maximus,
I hear people express concerns about releases at the site but it is certainly efficient in terms of seeing species, saving time and CO2.
At least 10 Glanvilles seen in 4 different areas and 2 Marshies in different areas.
Bit of a steep walk back to the tram though.
Katrina

Bee hawk

Post by Katrina »

My sister Rhona , as I mentioned, found a bee hawk-moth yesterday at Hutchinson’s Bank. We have been told it is a narrow- bordered one . It has generated some interest as there apparently was a single sighting of one last year in the same place. Here is her record shot.
Attachments
P1002996.jpeg
P1002996.jpeg (38.32 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of shots Katrina 8) My fave of a very 'fave worthy' bunch has to go to the egg laying Small Blue, definitely one of those images that paints a thousand words 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel,
I attempted a photo of the egg but although visible came out as a round white blob.

Here is a bonus photo / crop
Attachments
GF bonus crop.jpeg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Lovely photos from your trip.on Saturday. My daughter used to live at Morden, but I never visited Hutchinson's Bank. Really pleased that you saw Duke of Burgundy and marsh fritillaries. All the others we have here on the Isle of Wight.
MrSp0ck

Re: Lovely Lady May

Post by MrSp0ck »

Katrina wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:14 pm Today I had arranged to meet my sister and go to Hutchinson's Bank. We met at East Croydon Station and took the tram and had a memorable day out.
We saw Glanville Fritillaries , Marsh Fritillaries, Duke of Burgundy, Small Blues (numerous and egg laying), Green Hairstreak (numerous but mainly faded), Common Blues (including mating pair), Holly Blues (numerous) , Brown Argus, Small Copper, Dingy Skippers, one Large Skipper, Red Admiral , Peacock , Small Heaths , Speckled Wood, Orange -tip and egg, Large White, Brimstones (numerous) and on the path back to the tram Commas
19 species in total .
Hope you checked the Large White very closely, havent seen one on site since April 5th. Like Red Admirals they are never numerous on site. You will always have great days out on this site, except when the rain pours down.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

A week ago I was back with my sister at Hutchinson's Bank.
We saw 2 mating pairs of Glanvilles .
Attachments
Mating Glanvilles.jpeg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Today I went to Rowland Wood to looks for SPBF . Thanks to Steve who called me over for the first one. In total we saw 4 and lots of dragonflies.
After a cursory look on and ID website I think Scare, Broad-Bodied and Emperor but if anyone knows their dragonflies please correct me if I am wrong.
I kept hoping the SBPF would nectar on the thistles but they were keeping low on bramble and bugle.
Also seen were Meadow Browns and Large Skippers, a slow worm and 2 deer.
Attachments
SPBF closed wing.jpeg
SPBF open wing.jpeg
possible scare chaser.jpeg
Broad-bodied chaser.jpeg
Emperor Dragonfly.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Your dragonfly ID'S are spot on☺️
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Pleased your SPBF's were as well behaved as mine last Wednesday.
As it was your day off, I was hoping you would turn up to fill your boots
with the SPBF spectacle we were enjoying, glad you got to see them.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Small Pearls Katrina :D 8) The male and female Scarce Chasers are so different they could almost be different species :shock: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”