Comma - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Comma - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Comma - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by millerd »

Every year Commas come in three distinct batches: the ones that welcome in the spring and always surprise with the amount of energy they have left after the long winter; the midsummer brood, more graceful and less-intensely marked and often reminiscent of a fritillary; the autumn hibernators, gorging on blackberries, beautifully patterned with deep and subtle undersides for hiding away. Here is one of each, all from my local patch near Heathrow.
16th March
16th March
6th July
6th July
30th August
30th August
Overall, I would say they didn't have as good a year as usual - my best day had a count of just over a dozen, as opposed to 20+ in previous years.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

What could be better than suddenly spotting a grounded, basking Comma in early March?

Not the best image, but one that promises much for future months.

Taken near my workplace on an abnormally warm early afternoon (13c) in Swansea on 5th March:
A3(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Comma

I was lucky enough to find plenty of accommodating Commas when they came out of hibernation at Five Rivers and there were one or two shots that could have easily ended up as the favourite. The shot below however trumped all. It was taken in the grounds of Llanachearon in mid April. The day had been cool and showery and despite the very briefest of grab shots of my first OT for 2014 it was a bit disappointing.

After sheltering in the kitchens a break in the rain meant I could have a look around the Bramble bush at the rear of the house. Things perked up with my first Holly Blue of 2014 and also this Comma which fluttered down and tried to bask in the weak spring sun. It’s my favourite as I caught it having a bit of a spruce up, something I’d not witnessed in this species before. It used its fore legs (not the brush feet) to wipe over its eyes and down its palps before repeating the action on the other side.
Comma.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I like this photo for its colour.

It's quite a surprise for me that I have chosen this shot, since it was taken during a family visit, when I only had my small Lumix TZ25 with me and was not planning to take butterfly photos!
Sutton Montis, Somerset - 29th August 2014<br />Lumix TZ25 (fl = 4mm) - 1/160s @ f/4  ISO100
Sutton Montis, Somerset - 29th August 2014
Lumix TZ25 (fl = 4mm) - 1/160s @ f/4 ISO100
Mike
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Ok, so it is not exactly a photo but rather a "snapshot" taken from video footage. I will give you a few details in case anyone else would like to try this for the first time or disqualify me from the local photographic competition ! :D
My "Bridge" cameras do approx. 20-30 frames a second. (by the way, I am told that for really good slow motion I need 1000 frames a second). So it is a case of scrolling through my video clip on camera, frame by frame and then exporting the desired frame.
The other way of doing it is to put ones video clip into the movie making software and select "create snapshot" when the video is paused. This is the way I did it in this case.
The file size is small but for getting good compositions, I think this method is a winner !

The Commas are fresh summer brood on faeces (2nd July) acting a bit like Purple Emperors (now why did I have to bring them into it ? ) :D A lot of wing flicking kept the on looking flies away!
2nd July  2014 Fresh Summer Brood on Faeces
2nd July 2014 Fresh Summer Brood on Faeces
Best Wishes.
Philip
Last edited by PhilBJohnson on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kind Regards,
celery

Post by celery »

I always feel a slight tinge of disappointment when that large orange butterfly you spot in the woodland turns out to be just a Comma rather than one of the summer fritillaries... but I shouldn't really - they are such beautiful butterflies.
Comma (polygonia c-album) - Bernwood Meadows, Oxon. - 29th July, 2014
Comma (polygonia c-album) - Bernwood Meadows, Oxon. - 29th July, 2014
Comma (polygonia c-album) - Fermyn Woods, Northants. - 27th July, 2014
Comma (polygonia c-album) - Fermyn Woods, Northants. - 27th July, 2014
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
peterc

Post by peterc »

I have taken several photos of the Comma this year - the one below is my favourite - I love the 'redness' of it

Peter
Attachments
Comma Norton Green, Herts 5 Sept
Comma Norton Green, Herts 5 Sept
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Commas seemed to start off well around most of my local spots with good numbers coming out of hibernation, including the one below at Castle Hills Solihull in late March.
Spring Comma - Castle Hills 29.03.02014
Spring Comma - Castle Hills 29.03.02014
There seemed to be fewer around in the summer emergence although they did show up at most places that I went to during July and into August. The photo below, taken at Bickenhill near Solihull is probably my overall favourite Comma shot taken this year.
Summer Comma - Bickenhill 12.07.2014
Summer Comma - Bickenhill 12.07.2014
I also quite like the shot below of a hutchinsoni female, again taken near Solihull,
Summer Comma - Solihull 20.07.2014
Summer Comma - Solihull 20.07.2014
The Autumn appearance also seemed down in numbers compared with previous years but as with those earlier in the summer they still showed up at most places. Another favourite photo is the typical pose on blackberries below with the butterfly seeming to glow in the September afternoon sun.
Autumn Comma - Solihull 21.09.2014
Autumn Comma - Solihull 21.09.2014
Cheers,

Neil.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

The Comma is very photogenic with blackberries Neil.
Here is one of its Mediterranean cousins from June :
c-album8_13 Marseilles urbain 13 June 2014 (1).JPG
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've got two photo's I really like and I can't decide between them both so I'll put both in :D

The first one was taken at Hall-Lee-Brook near where I live on March 29th , the other one I took in the New Forest July 10th , I think they represent to me the beginning of Spring and the Summer. Goldie :D
Attachments
Comma NF 10th July 2014 IMG_6789.JPG
Comma HLB 29th March 2014 IMG_4435.JPG
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

My favourite Comma pic for this year, not sure where taken, got no records for that day (my wife does all the diary keeping but often forgets), I think I have better pics but this is my favourite.
IMG_5219-c-r-f.jpg
IAC

Post by IAC »

I just love Comma butterflies. I dont know quite why. I tend to get very excitable whenever I see one. They have become quite common place in the Scottish Borders this past few years...and Amen to that. There does now seem to be an emergence from hibernation that can happen as early as Februray and into March, followed by a summer brood in late June. followed up finally by a partial second brood in October. This one was quite a sight...as they always are. I was walking down the banks of the Whiteadder in Berwickshire. In a few places you have to perform some high jinks stepping stones to continue downstream. An overhanging Elm branch was in my way, I was just about to sweep it aside when I saw this little beauty sunning itself on one of the now bright yellow leaves. 8)

Iain
Attachments
IMG_0001_2.jpg
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

My favourite is this little Comma larva 1st instar, thats just hatched..
Comma larva, 1st instar 058-2.jpg
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Have lots of Comma pictures but this one is my favourite. Primed and ready to blast off and do battle with any passing Peacock foolish enough to stray in his territory 8)
2014.03.29 IMG_9248 Comma, Horsell Common by Bronze-age barrow, Woking tr.jpg
Phil
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

The best I could do and there is a tiny bit of wing damage:
21st July Bookham Commons
21st July Bookham Commons
Regards,
Philip
Kind Regards,
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

As being my traditional Spring butterfly to shoot, I prefer this one from date I still had only one or two used lenses.
Attachments
Canon 180/3.5L Macro, March '14
Canon 180/3.5L Macro, March '14
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

This one on Box Hill on 22nd July was just asking to be framed by the forground plantlife :)
Attachments
Comma, Burford Meadow Box Hill, '14 #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nick Broomer wrote:My favourite is this little Comma larva 1st instar, thats just hatched..
Comma larva, 1st instar 058-2.jpg
That's an incredible image, Nick! I love the fact that it's "in context" and not just a closeup.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks Pete. Appreciated.

All the best, Nick.

Return to “Comma”