David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: David M

Post by trevor »

I couldn't agree more David, the first Orange Tip sighting is one of the highlights of the hobby.
They are also a symbol that winter is behind us ( even if the winter weather continues ).
Even better most of us don't have to travel far to see them.
David M

Post by David M »

Agreed, Trevor. Same with Provence Orange Tip which I've been seeing these last few days in Spain.
David M

Post by David M »

Friday 12th April – Cosmeston…

After leaving Lavernock, it was only a short drive to Cosmeston Park, where I was hoping to see more Orange Tips.

I had to pass through some drier areas before reaching the likeliest spot for them at this site – a damp area near the woodland at the back of the site.
A Comma and a Peacock distracted me as I made my way there:
12B.Comma(1).JPG
12B.Peacock(1).JPG
Sure enough, there were a couple of males flying near the damp track, although the only image I could get of either of them settled was this:
12B.OT1.JPG
After walking into the medieval village half an hour later, I was fortunate to have one stay put for about a minute:
12B.OT2(1).JPG
12B.OT3(1).JPG
The 48 different butterflies seen on the day was easily my best of this miserable spring.
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 14th April – An improvement…

I wasn’t expecting anything spectacular today, since the weather remained fairly cool at around 12/13c. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the butterfly returns at Cwm Ivy with Holly Blues the top performers with a total of 15 seen, although all were males:
14.HollyBl(1).JPG
The blackthorn blossom was undoubtedly at its peak:
14.Blackthorn(1).JPG
I also saw quite a few orchids in flower:
14.Orchid(1).JPG
There were 4 Red Admirals about:
14.RedAdm(1).JPG
There were also 4 Commas and 6 Peacocks:
14.Comma(1).JPG
14.Peacock(1).JPG
Brimstones just hit double figures with 11, there were 5 Speckled Woods and 4 male Orange Tips, none of which settled long enough for a photo.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Good to see the sun was shining somewhere, David. You’ve definitely had the best of it on that side of the country again this spring!

Good to see the Holly Blues, I wonder how they will do this year? They have yet to get started over this way, but had an excellent 2023, so I’m hopeful.
David M

Post by David M »

Tuesday 16th April – Going colder…

Seems we’re back to the cool, cloudy and windy routine that has characterised this spring.

At just 11c and with an 18mph wind blowing, my only choice was to visit the sheltered woodland near my home today.

Peacocks were the most frequently encountered species, with 7 seen. Brimstones numbered 6 whilst a couple of Orange Tips braved the conditions in a sheltered clearing:
16.OT(1).JPG
With no real warmth on the horizon, things are becoming quite depressing.
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:48 pm Good to see the sun was shining somewhere, David. You’ve definitely had the best of it on that side of the country again this spring!

Good to see the Holly Blues, I wonder how they will do this year? They have yet to get started over this way, but had an excellent 2023, so I’m hopeful.
Been pretty grim everywhere so far this spring, Mark. As for Holly Blues, they always do well at my local site but it's difficult to make comparisons when they have had so few opportunities to be active this year.
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 18th April – Copper mining…

I don’t normally visit Nicholaston Burrows at this time of year, but given that it’s a reliable spot for Small Coppers I thought I’d give it a once over to see if I could find my first of the year.
18.NichBurrws(1).JPG
Pleasingly, I ended up seeing three, two of which turned up in a sheltered spot just before the dunes give way to the beach:
S.SmCopp(1).JPG
18.SmCopp2(1).JPG
Not much else about – two Speckled Woods, a male Green Veined White, a Peacock and an Orange Tip.
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 18th April pm – Numbers remaining poor…

After leaving Nicholaston, I headed to Cwm Ivy to see if butterfly numbers had improved.

Sadly, they hadn’t, with no species exceeding 6 in total. Of the half dozen Holly Blues though, one was a very welcome female:
18.HBlue(1).JPG
Red Admirals, surprisingly, also reached half a dozen:
18.RAd(1).JPG
There were 5 Speckled Woods and 5 Peacocks, but just one Brimstone and a solitary male Orange Tip:
18.OT(1).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 20th April – Last chance…

With a 19 day trip to Spain commencing tomorrow, this was the last day I had to see a few spring species at home.

A visit to Dan-y-Graig cemetery didn’t generate much so I moved on to Crymlyn Burrows, where the first notable thing I saw was a male Small White harassing a female Green Veined White. After several minutes of chasing the two stopped for a rest:
20.SmGVW(1).JPG
Eventually the Small White left, leaving the GVW in peace:
20.GVWfem.JPG
Brimstones led the way with 11 seen, whilst Orange Tips numbered 5:
20.OT(1).JPG
Six Small Whites in all and a couple of Speckled Woods in the wooded area. It’s been such a dismal spring I won’t de sorry to decamp abroad for a while.

Return to “Personal Diaries”